FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
More like, "We made a piece of art, and we'd like you to enjoy it, but if you can't physically abide it, then we're sorry, but we cannot accomodate you. Do you get mad at roller coasters for enforcing a height limit? Are you mad at musicians because deaf people can't experience their work? Are you mad that people with epilepsy can't play video games?

Oh please those analogies are so extreme. It's a video game, it can be designed to accommodate far far easier then those examples

Well - to react to the role playing element. I see some comments that people arguing that 3th person view gives the opportunity to role play, wile first person does not. I personally like to role play like I am the person in that game. It are my decisions, it are my actions that decide what happens, so it must be ME that is walking there, and not some replacement-doll.

I personally always feel a bit disconnected when playing 3th person. Yes - I get that you create a character, and it is not really you that is walking in the game, but when I see a replacement-waldo walking in a game, it adds an extra level of detachment. It's no biggie for me (I could perfectly play TW3, but, admitted, because it was Gerald walking there and not me). However - If I really want to role-play I am better off with the first person perspective than the third person perspective.

As said - That's a personal view, but I think that I am not the only one that feels this way

W
I wonder when people will realise that it is too late to just add TPP...

Also, making EVERYONE happy is impossible, because if you do TPP+FPP people like me will be unhappy.
Well that’s be YOUR own problem. Why would you be unhappy when everyone is pleased?

Okay. It was a shocking revelation yesterday, but damn, it's a massive CDPR RPG in my favorite setting. I'm giving these guys the benefit of doubt until the first proper gameplay video.

Then there's melee combat, melee combat just works far far better in third person view imo, I mean could you imagine playing Dark Souls in first person? First person melee combat is usually quite restricting in terms of movesets because they don't want to have you becoming disoriented or such from the view changing, so no super fancy moves and other elements, usually simple "slashes" or a thrust and that's that.

Do you people realize this is not a new Dark Souls, not a new Witcher or not a new World Of Warcraft?
This is a near future game focused on gunplay. This is like the Deus Ex game, like the System Shock, like the Borderlands.

yes, melee combat works better in third person game. but do you really want to put third person in a world where everyone uses high technology guns?
do you people can think ranged combat works better in first person game?
so, why focus for melee while THIS IS NOT WITCHER 4!!!

You act like this game won't sell.

Plenty of players will disagree with your immersion takes. You are not the only consumer in their audience, just as i am not, either.
It’s guaranteed to not sell much. It’ll probably sell as much as Far Cry 5. That disaster. They COULD do wayyy better. Obviously the majority says they want TPP so what’s your argument? Are you working on the game? Who are you people to say how much time they have to add something to the game.

From experience over the years I'd say it's a mixed bag. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Depends how reasonable and achievable a request is. On average I'd say they strive to keep most people happy while sticking to their vision. The biggest change I've seen them do was redoing one of the romance options' dialogues in W3 due to popular opinion that she was "under represented".

So who knows. People should carry on presenting their points and defending them and we'll see what happens.

If the game has been designed around First Person, it's just impossible to change.

Most of the greatest games are third-person games, not first-person(y)(y)(y) (Zelda, Final Fantasy 7, Witcher 3, RDR, TLoU, GTA, Dark Souls(Bloodborne), Mass Effect and more... Pls CDPR, add third-person:giggle::giggle::giggle:

If the game has been designed around First Person, it's just impossible to change.
That's my thought process in all of this. If the game is considerably deep into development, a lot of reworking will have to be done to properly implement TPP and FPP might suffer as a result.

No ones forcing you to play from any perspective...don’t you think your argument backfired?? Don’t force other players to just play in FPP because of you. We just want a toggle. Respectfully.

You do realise you need to actualy create two different sets of combat rules for each type and make it "Pick one at the start of the game" thing to make it impossible to abuse one or another? Or you want to tell me that combat in TPP is exactly the same as in FPP?

I'll explain it to you. In TW3-like TPP backstabs won't work, because you can see area behind your character all the time. In FPP you need to actualy pay attention to your surroundings. In TPP percpetion enhancing implants will be pretty much useless, because you can see everything anyway, unless you make it very close TPP, which blocks huge part of the screen.
Line of sight. TPP - you can see stuff that you wouldn't be able to see in FPP. PUBG is most popular example right now. How many times you see players simply by switching to TPP and ignore the fact that your player is technicaly looking at the wall.

So it's either one, properly made POV, or two half assed ones, that conflict with each other and allow stupid situations to happen, like seeing someone behind cover.

Also. Keep whining. At this point it's too late for such change.

First lemme say that before hearing this 1st person news, this game was gonna the game that made me forsake all other games and human relations till death do us part. Hearing the 1st person news turned the game from living inside my soul, to just a game I'll most likely get... :(

I'm a neon cyberpunk guy through and through and it's always been my favourite genre of anything - books, movies, games..) So having my favourite game studio develop my favourite kind of game was just... no words... I'm also that guys who's NEVER played a single FP game because I find it so, SO strange to have my character personified by a slight left to right screen sway and disembodied voice. A lot of people feel it's more immersive and I get that, but I've always found the opposite is true - seeing my character on the screen rather than what he/she/it sees always gives me more of sense of identifying to that character. And that's going into field of view issues.
In short, I love the setting and idea of this game and I waaayyyy prefer 3rd person (hate 1st person?)

Now, CDPR are an amazing studio and if there was ever a game that could convince of a FP view experience, it would be them. I'm sure they have good reasons for going for FP view. Things like hacking into terminals, NPCs brains, or optical enhancements like using infrared or VR/AR/thermal goggles in game, information overlays are all good things to have in 1st person and could be easier to implement in that view as well. They would all fit perfectly in the lore of a cyberpunk world and is something that the devs have hinted to with "augmentations"... Kyle Rowley also mentioned a desire to really make us see all the love and detail that has gone into this universe and yes, a lot of people feel the FP mode is more immersive so that makes sense.

The thing is, none of this is broken by giving the player the option to switch to 3rd person view and back to 1st whenever they want. You're walking around exploring/walking/driving/flying... in 3rd person. As soon as you've got any kind of interaction come up (like talking to NPCs or a hack, or remote pilot of an machine...) either the cam snaps to 1st for you or you can choose to control it yourself. Would this be such an issue?
As for making us pay attention to detail and getting a sense of immersion, TW3 was 3rd person and I spent so much time just walking - WALKING!! - slowly around enjoying the sounds, details, random bits of dialogue between NPCs... all the love and craft that went into this game... If it was 3rd person, I would 100% still do the same here, probably even more than in TW3.

So please, PLEASE CDPR, just give us the option to switch and leave us the responsibility to play this game right, experience the world in all its' glory and see all the things INCLUDING THE AMAZING AND CUSTOMISABLE CHARACTER DESIGNS!!!

Sorry for the long winded post. I've never been so passionate about a game to this extend and so felt I needed to say my piece.

It’s guaranteed to not sell much. It’ll probably sell as much as Far Cry 5. That disaster. They COULD do wayyy better. Obviously the majority says they want TPP so what’s your argument? Are you working on the game? Who are you people to say how much time they have to add something to the game.

no, not the majority.
real RPG players already used to First Person RPG - Arx Fatalis, Lands of Lore, Might & Magic, Stonekeep, Ultima Underworld, Eye of the Beholder, Ishar, Wizardry, The Bard's Tale, Arena, Daggerfall, Deus Ex, System Shock.
and those people don't have any problem between First Person and Third Person games.

Only the vocal minority here cries about First Person view.

That's my thought process in all of this. If the game is considerably deep into development, a lot of reworking will have to be done to properly implement TPP and FPP might suffer as a result.

I must agree here. The changes would be massive, because the complete interfacing would have to be rewritten. I do not think it is even possible without restarting from the ground up.

I'm curious about the first person, is the body physically simulated or it's just a camera with hands sticking out of nowhere? Because if it's the first, then Third Person is absolutely impossible, they would need to create thousands of animation for the main character and beta testing every interaction with the game world. It can't be done.

It’s guaranteed to not sell much. It’ll probably sell as much as Far Cry 5. That disaster. They COULD do wayyy better.
You can't possibly predict such a thing one way or the other. What data are you using to even consider such an argument? Let's keep a level head and not get into such silly arguments guys.

Oh please those analogies are so extreme. It's a video game, it can be designed to accommodate far far easier then those examples
I'd argue its no less extreme than treating a developer's artistic decisions as a personal insult.

and the epilepsy example is actually right on point. it's people with a physical condition that makes them unable to play. they can take medication to circumvent it or they can choose not to play. just like people with motion sickness can. and unlike motion sickness, a seizure can cause long term damage.

I wonder when people will realise that it is too late to just add TPP...

Also, making EVERYONE happy is impossible, because if you do TPP+FPP people like me will be unhappy.
Why would you be unhappy with an option you don't have to use? How is it too late when they haven't announced a release date?

You do realise you need to actualy create two different sets of combat rules for each type and make it "Pick one at the start of the game" thing to make it impossible to abuse one or another? Or you want to tell me that combat in TPP is exactly the same as in FPP?

I'll explain it to you. In TW3-like TPP backstabs won't work, because you can see area behind your character all the time. In FPP you need to actualy pay attention to your surroundings. In TPP percpetion enhancing implants will be pretty much useless, because you can see everything anyway, unless you make it very close TPP, which blocks huge part of the screen.
Line of sight. TPP - you can see stuff that you wouldn't be able to see in FPP. PUBG is most popular example right now. How many times you see players simply by switching to TPP and ignore the fact that your player is technicaly looking at the wall.

So it's either one, properly made POV, or two half assed ones, that conflict with each other and allow stupid situations to happen, like seeing someone behind cover.

Also. Keep whining. At this point it's too late for such change.
I guess you’re employed at CDPR. If you don’t agree with adding TPP then just exit the forums otherwise you’re just on here being a douche and taking pleasure in responding to people’s hopes. Have you ever designed a game In your life? You probably don’t even know what you said. FPP combat is just fine but walking and running and exploring should at least be TPP. I don’t wanna just see the character I spent two hours on in a mirror that I may rarely see. You don’t know how easy or hard it is to add something or how much time they have. That’s why they’re the professionals and you’re not. Please just exit and stop trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom