FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not?

We have people from different countries, different cultures, different jobs and different educations. Not to mention different ages and different ethnicities.

Seems a pretty random sample to me, to be honest
Because there is large percantage of people who come here just to complain about TPP. They heard somewhere, that CyberPunk will be FPP, didn't like this and come here to show theirs unhapinnes. People who like FPP, (or don't care) simple noticed such information and keep going with their lifes.

Poll would be random if it would be taken before that announcment or much later in time.

If you don't care what are you doing here? People are not whining. They are giving feedback and are talking about what they like and what not. People know better what is working for them in games and what not for sure. So they are free to express it here. If you won't like camera angle you can switch to FPP. For now game don't support both variants. And asking for more options isn't something absurd or wrong.

Because as I said switching to third person camera is not a simple switch,you'll need to have the whole game structured and technically accustomed to the third person camera. I want them to stick to their original plan and I'm supporting their decision for first person view because that's how the game was balanced,structured,gameplay and combat situations planned.

Outside of people who get motion sick in FP, I can't believe how whiny everyone is being about this decision. Demanding
Because they are designed that way from the ground up... and to their detriment, to be honest. Even if CDPR would implement a TPP at this point, I doubt it would work well. You can give a TP game FP mode relatively easily, the other way around though...
Considering that you have not seen or played the game yet, I find it difficult to believe that you can already judge that FPP only is detrimental to the game.

Then you are wrong about what people are asking.
Am I... the game is designed around being FP, we know that now, and even giving people the option to play in TP in any meaningful way, would probably mean CDPR would have to do a complete redesign.

@BloodyPuppy Wong side, I'm defending CDPR's design choice here... ;)

Hi guys, I am going to write a very long paper on this (useless) topic, I kindly ask to anyone to read it all before answering. Also sorry if I am not much clear in what I write, but english is not my mother tongue, so if anything is unclear just say it to me and I will try to explain it. Thanks and let's go.

When I first saw the teaser trailer back in 2013 I was overhyped by that image. A woman with cyberpsychosis made a massacre and the PsychoSquad was executing her. I just couldn't even imagine how that image could be expressed in actual gameplay.

Fast forward five years and here we are. Just to as honest as possible, I really don't love first person perspective, but incoherently some of my favourite game adopt that solution (Fallout and The Elder Scrolls are the best example, being two RPGs). The fact is that after the trailer at the Microsoft conference (and, I have to admit, after being amazed by The Witcher 3) I would never imagine this game was going to be First Person, for that reason when I found it out I took it as a delusion. But the time as passed and I had time to think and now I have three points to explain why I really can't be hyped for the first person perspective, unless something is going to change in the future.
  • The most important thing, for me, is the optional side activities. As seen in the new trailer at minutes 0:46 in Night City you can do boxing and as seen at 1:05 you can play basketball, and I don't know if we are going to be able to actually do that but god do I want it to be possible. But how am I supposed to enjoy those things in first person? Even with the best gameplay of all times, the third person perspective is automatically better for this kind of things, or at least, it is in my personal taste. Of course my hopes for this are not dead for now, because I still hope we can do these activities in third person, even if the devs only said that driving is switchable from first to third person (ironically, I wanted first person only for the drive system).
  • This second point links directly to the first one, when talking of boxing, speaking of combat system. I am sure gun combat will be amazing, but what about melee? For my taste, melee combat in first person will never be as good as that in third person and that's because I simply love to see how my character moves his body when fighting and to be completely honest I could not wait to see my possibilities as an augmented human to do that. Hell, in the 2013 trailer the woman has two blades coming out from her forearms, can you imagine her fight style? Moving as if she was dancing, cutting every single person in sight in half? As before, I really don't think first person can give me the same emotions, the same sensations.
  • My last and, to be honest, less important point is about what everyone is crying about: watching my own character just walking in Night City. As I said before, I do love Fallout and TES, but even in those two games I use the third person when I am in a city doing absolutely nothing. Because, even if I understand the pros of the first person in topics like immersion and scale, on the other hand I just love watching my character being alive in that world, with people watching at him, with his outfit changing and upgrading during all of the game, or just seeing him do less important interactions with the ambient, like pushing people who block your path, sitting at a bar or other stupid idiocies like that. I know this is not important, but I wanted to be honest in every single aspect of this "controversy".

So, here we are. What do you guys think of my points? Can I still have hope for basketball, boxing and maybe other activities? And what about melee combat? Just let me know, thank you!

Not true.

I know for certain that some guys are working on a TP mod for kingdom come. And a porting to TP in that game would be much harder than this one, due to how combat system works.
So, if its possible on that game, it's certainly possible even in this one.
Yeah get back to me when it's actually released and working bug free and doesn't look like garbage

It's not how it works.

We have no sample group. We have highly biased (one way or another) group of people though. People with agenda that came here for a reason. That's the opposite of random. And we would need a similar sized "clean" group. Don't know how it would work here realy - people who never played any games, or played both TPP and FPP?
Vote is going on for less than 24 hours. We started using medical studies as an example, so I'll stick to that. Most precise ones are the ones that cover like 30 years, sometimes even more. Of course here it wouldn't make sense (unless they release the game in 2077...), but I hope you see my point. Survey like that started in 2014 would give us more valid results. But then again it would slow down development.
It's not about who is right or wrong. From purely scientific point of view this pool means nothing. It's like one of those surveys done by tv stations that always have results similar to said station political views.

I recognize you have a point.

I prefer TPP:
- Because it's far more immersive to me. Many people think FPP must be more immersive by default, but a floating rectangle camera with narrow view is not actually a realistic representation of the human experience either. In TPP, the increased awareness given by seeing around your character compensates for the loss of real life awareness of your surroundings that doesn't translate into video games because you lose most of your senses. It also better simulates the fact that you can move your eyes and neck and aren't restricted in such a fixed and narrow way as you are in FPP. Finally seeing your character on-screen as a visual reminder anchors you into the roleplay the way you are constantly reminded of your physicality in real life, rather than making you feel like a disembodied floating gun. I've only ever felt properly immersed in TPP games. By comparison FPP feels clunky and claustrophobic, and makes me acutely aware that I'm just me staring at a screen.
- Because it looks better. Character customisation seems like such a waste on FPP. The whole appeal of customising your character is to then see him interact with his environment, not just as a static picture you only get to see in the inventory screen or in fixed dialogues.
- Because I also sometimes get motion sickness from FPP which kills all my enjoyment of it.

Now I completely understand that all of this is subjective and that others might prefer FPP. I also understand if CDPR wants to show us things more close up, and I would be perfectly fine with FPP being the default or being used for some cutscenes, as long as I still have the option to free my camera into TPP while exploring. And if this is about cutting corners as I've seen it suggested, that would be a really poor calculation, because I highly doubt the savings on TPP animations and such would compensate for the loss of revenue.

If I'm bothering to type all this out it's just because I've been hyped for this game for years, I had been waiting for something like this since long before it was first announced, and the announcement yesterday about it being FPP-only is effectively the same to me as if the game had gotten cancelled entirely, so you can imagine my sadness.

sry but considering that the witcher 3 sold like what 8 million copies i doubt that they will lose even close to that number of players bc of that single desision, my guess less than 100k people.

and btw i also would have prefered tpp, so we are clear
Why are you so sure about that ? They've built up a community, sure, but with expectations. Now they're just telling us, out of nowhere, that they're making another type of game. This is beyond lack of communication

Bioware said the same with Mass Effect Andromeda. Now look at them.

As the guy told you,you need a reality check. Except the fact that Andromeda was a financial success,it suffered from a lot of problems that certainly don't involve a camera perspective. And it still was a commercial success.

I see this game breaking sales records and 90% of the people whining,will buy this game when it's met with critical appraise.

Mods should sticky this thread when the game's released so we can have a good laugh at the absurd opinions expressed in this thread

That CDPR's original vision for the game was compromised to exclude a third person perspective does in no way placate those who were not expecting - or indeed cannot - play a game that is presented in the first person. It'll be really interesting to see how the wider community take the news. I suspect it won't be good.

Last edited:
Outside of people who get motion sick in FP, I can't believe how whiny everyone is being about this decision. Demanding

Considering that you have not seen or played the game yet, I find it difficult to believe that you can already judge that FPP only is detrimental to the game.
We have a lot of info from extended articles, first person is not just the way the game plays, it's ESSENTIAL.
Hud, visual cyber enhancements, verticality, cramped spaces.
People want cd to throw this out of the window and add third person to see their pretty clothes (which they already see in discussions, cutscenes and when traveling).
It's extremely selfish, the game has been in the drawing board for FIVE YEARS and you think they wouldn't go with first person only if there wasn't a reason for it?
SPECIALLY when they haven't done first person before.

Am I... the game is designed around being FP, we know that now, and even giving people the option to play in TP in any meaningful way, would probably mean CDPR would have to do a complete redesign.

For a fact they've said we will be able to see our character in the game so it's not a complete redesign. And for the second we don't know how much work will be needed to bring TPP.

Why are you so sure about that ? They've built up a community, sure, but with expectations. Now they're just telling us, out of nowhere, that they're making another type of game. This is beyond lack of communication

No Blizzard fan felt betrayed when they made Overwatch lol.

How? Aside from questionable leaks, nobody had a clue what type of RPG CP2077 will be, you just ASSUMED it would like TW3... I never did... and many, many, many other people didn't either.

We have a lot of info from extended articles, first person is not just the way the game plays, it's ESSENTIAL.
People want cd to throw this out of the window and add third person to see their pretty clothes (which they already see in discussions, cutscenes and when traveling).
It's extremely selfish, the game has been in the drawing board for FIVE YEARS and you think they wouldn't go with first person only if there wasn't a reason for it?

Voice of reason. Seems like not being able to see your clothes in a video game is another first world problem these days

I think you've misread my comments or replied to the wrong person. I don't have a problem with FPP, and I think the complaints concerning it are by and large ridiculous and unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom