Set Gwent free

+
Dear developers, homecoming sounds good, but just stop.
Not a single person I talked to about Gwent wants to try it. With or without homecoming. They just don't care.
The reason - it's too complicated already and unlikely to change. I don't know what you'll do in homecoming but don't make the game more complicated than it already is.

You want to make it deep? - Get back to logic, lore, rude humor, uncensored content, card game traditions, remove the archetypes contradicting card playing itself.
Fix mulliganning, quen, triple art cards. Don't turn matchmaking into the search of the most unfavorable opponent.
It's OK to share the same archetype between a few factions, but it's not OK to allow the opponent to look inside of my deck and hand or manipulate my graveyard.
The battle takes place on the battlefield.

Why not allow all factions to have their own resilient, immune and armored units? Why the wolf school witchers can be in all decks (even monster decks) but viper school serves only to nilfgaard? Didn't they have their own free history? We have an entire arsenal of blades, shields, etc. but no steel/silver witcher's swords. Muzzle could be replaced by Axii, by the way. Why there are now bronze neutral units? Nobody likes being annoyed so replace card abilities of this kind by something nice.

Give more space to people's creativity. Decrease the power of archetypes in favor of a fine synergy between 2 - 3 units plus elite individuals.

Thank you for reading my revelation
Best regards

If you think Gwent is complicated at the moment then I suggest you play something else lol.

All memes aside, Gwent is not very hard to understand. Maybe if you're barely starting out, then sure, I guess.

As for your other suggestions, well there's thing called faction identity. Although the lines between factions are pretty blurry now, I still wouldn't want Viper Witchers in Monsters or NR. It wouldn't make sense. Getting your cards stolen from your graveyard has been around for ages too. Everything needs a counter. The only neutral bronze unit is Peasant Militia btw, that's 9 points...

I think you just hate the great empire of Nilfgaard.

If you think Gwent is complicated at the moment then I suggest you play something else lol.

All memes aside, Gwent is not very hard to understand. Maybe if you're barely starting out, then sure, I guess.

As for your other suggestions, well there's thing called faction identity. Although the lines between factions are pretty blurry now, I still wouldn't want Viper Witchers in Monsters or NR. It wouldn't make sense. Getting your cards stolen from your graveyard has been around for ages too. Everything needs a counter. The only neutral bronze unit is Peasant Militia btw, that's 9 points...

Nah, he just hates what most of us hate - netdecks.

Viper witcher doing 18 damage, 23 swing, because of a deck full of renew, replay and ale? Yeah, it's tiresome.

My suggestion is simply have one game aspect that doesn't allow duplicates. Everything that's wrong with the game is in duplication - bears, greatswords, nekkers, viper witchers, etc.

Developers already took it onboard, might call it Shupe's Gwent or something in honour of the Shupe card (no dupes allowed). It's the only way I'll play it again.

This game isn't at all complicated.

It actually needs more complexity.
If developers think they don't need any new people in the game - they should make it more complex. They even can make it so complex that only a handful of chosen ones on Earth could play it and get positive emotions from it.

I still wouldn't want Viper Witchers in Monsters or NR. It wouldn't make sense. Getting your cards stolen from your graveyard has been around for ages too. Everything needs a counter. The only neutral bronze unit is Peasant Militia btw, that's 9 points...
I suggest you do the same, no offense)
Do the Wolf Witchers in Monster deck make sense to you? (I really interested in your response to this one)
If something has been around for a while - it doesn't mean it's good.
Militia is not a unit - it's a special card.
You might be surprised, but I like Nilfgaard and want to play, but I don't like its archetypes. And without using them there's no chance to win the match with creative deck against one of "prescribed decks" by developers.
If you read this - thank you, if you answer my question - I'd be even more pleased!

I think I know what he means, guys. He isn't talking about the individual details, but the overall complexity of the game. And I think @nedders' idea of not allowing duplicates is a good one. Unless using certain cards whose only purpose is to create duplicates. I also feel the game is mostly unbalanced with cards like Viper Witchers having more Power than a Silver card. It's the only biggest issue.

If developers think they don't need any new people in the game - they should make it more complex. They even can make it so complex that only a handful of chosen ones on Earth could play it and get positive emotions from it.

More complex, not more complicated.

A good game has depth to it, a fair amount of complexity, but maintains simple rules.

There are cardgames out there which are way more complex than Gwent and, apparently, those are not short on players. With turns composed of five phases, in which you can play cards on your opponent turn and so on...

The game has little complexity now and it's dying so they are overhauling it. I wonder which way is better for the game......

I suggest you do the same, no offense)
Do the Wolf Witchers in Monster deck make sense to you? (I really interested in your response to this one)
If something has been around for a while - it doesn't mean it's good.
Militia is not a unit - it's a special card.
You might be surprised, but I like Nilfgaard and want to play, but I don't like its archetypes. And without using them there's no chance to win the match with creative deck against one of "prescribed decks" by developers.
If you read this - thank you, if you answer my question - I'd be even more pleased!

I'm good, I actually understand the game. :p
I don't really see like... the point of adding witchers to every faction. I'm not sure what you mean.
So what bronze neutral unit *were* you referring to then? Yes, Peasant Militia is a special card but it spawns 3 units. As far as I know, it's the only bronze neutral unit.

Guest 4021160

The change of tune in OP may suggest the OP has attempted sarcasm maybe? In his defence...???

Just played and predictably lost (had ONE gold all game, couple of silvers - constant bronze spew) to a monster deck that ended with EIGHT Nekkers in the Graveyard and one on the board. Nine Nekkers. The total value must have been somewhere around 120 points just on goddam Nekkers. It's pathetic, really badly conceived (or not) by CDPR that this kind of gameplay even exists. It's the same nonsense every time. Play Nekker, play card that duplicates the Nekker, eat the Nekker, spawn a higher strength Nekker. Rinse and repeat with Ghoul, Forktail, Arachas Queen, etc.

The abuse of this deck is awful and there's so little you can do unless you get PRECISELY the kind of deal you need (at least one scorch card, some movement, points boost your side, etc.) A few Thunder's do nothing to this - and that's a clear issue with the game. It's resolved the instant you remove that player having THREE Nekker's in the starting deck. It should be ONE Nekker, ONE card the adds two to the deck, so there's no more than THREE actually possible through the game. That would require thought and strategy. As it turns out someone is sat at home with a print out from IGN reading "play Nekker....check...play Draconid....check..."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm good,
I don't really see like... the point of adding witchers to every faction. I'm not sure what you mean.
So what bronze neutral unit *were* you referring to then? .
Well, I meant that I agree that Viper witchers make no sense in NR deck for example. Following this logic, wolf witchers don't make sense in a monster deck either, right? And my point is some cards shouldn't be available for every deck. And of course, those decks must have some fair alternative. It's just an idea might be hard to implement though, but it's good, don't you think?
About neutral units, I suggest making some neutral units. Some sort of mercenaries maybe. For diversity that's all. At the end of a day, we have neutral gold, silver but no bronze units.

Guest 4021160

You are absolutely right) I attempted sarcasm in defense of my suggestions. But where did I change the tone? I don't think I was looking aggressive in the beginning or was I?
You said gwent is too complicated and then proceeded to describe how to make it more complex. Which I agree with.

About neutral units, I suggest making some neutral units. Some sort of mercenaries maybe. For diversity that's all.

Neutral cards are the ones that can fit in any deck. If you design a strong neutral unit, that card is likely to be placed in decks across all factions. Imagine having old Slave drivers as a neutral bronze mercenary. That would be an autoinclude in most decks and you would have to face the card way more often, than having it only available for Nilfgaard. What you suggest would decrease diversity.

Top Bottom