FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, now...be nice.

The cited study says 10-30%. A better argument than sarcastically remarking on how suicidal it must be for developers would be one stating how wide of a range that is and questioning how thoroughly grounded and researched the subject is if they can't narrow it down a bit better than that.

But, that aside, if people have that condition they probably don't really care how rare or not they are. They're probably still incredible disappointed and arguments that they're to numerically insignificant to matter probably isn't helpful.

So let's go more constructive. People in this thread who have the motion sickness problem, please chime in.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that it's just to late to change things from FPP to TPP. We might want it to be different, but based on some of the previews that I've read that talk about how insane the demos behind closed doors are and how fully developed, let's just assume that it's just to late to change the camera.

What can CDPR do to potentially alleviate the issue and make it more palatable? FOV, draw distance, frame rate, etc. I'm not even remotely familiar with the subject so I'm basically Tyrion Lannister telling Jon Snow "Tell me what I CAN do to help you."
Im one of those people who dont have cure, no amount of FOV sliders help, no amount of frames help. Hell even in some cases 3rd person is not helping either if the head bob is too rough. Only help is to not play the game or 3rd person mode with steady camera. Its not about seeing the character, its about having something to focus, to help your brain do its magic and balance around something. Little retina on middle of screen is not helping, it needs to be something more. It sounds weird and its hard to explain especially my lack of english knowledge

What can CDPR do to potentially alleviate the issue and make it more palatable? FOV, draw distance, frame rate, etc. I'm not even remotely familiar with the subject so I'm basically Tyrion Lannister telling Jon Snow "Tell me what I CAN do to help you."
Sard made a thread covering things that may be able to help people with motion sickness.
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...olutions-list-while-in-first-person.10970354/
Eventually it'll probably be placed in the FAQ for CP2077.

The fact is the number of people who get motion sickness is insignificant, CDPR aren't obligated to do anything. But usually increasing FOV and turning off head bobbing is enough to resolve most cases

Obligated? No. Of course not. Beyond obeying the laws, a company is not obligated to do anything.

I'm proceeding on the assumption that CDPR cares deeply about its fanbase and that it's possible that the idea that parts of them that have been loyal customers for a while would literally not be able to play their games might have caught them by surprise a bit.

Might be a bit of projection on my part. I personally wasn't aware of how important the issue is for some people so I think it is possible that CDPR wasn't aware of this as well.

Again not all games even from the same developer will be for only the same audience. And yes you can ask for option but trying to somehow prof rpg's dont really work in FPP melee doesn't work in FPP or saying how it will hurt sales for CDPR or destroy rep is lame. You love developer? Cool you want for them to please vocal minority or have creative freedom.
wait, i never said rpg don't work in FPS... Where are you taking that from ?
And it will hurt their sales, as i said, a little. It's just not a game for me. Period.

FOV, lightnings, camera and mouse (or controller) sensitivity might help, but they only go so far....The real, sad, answer to that question is: nothing.
Maybe, if all transitions, animations and camera movement are done well enough, the discomfort will be small enough for the game to be playable, but even then, it depends on the individual sensitivity.
For instance, i have serious troubles with many VR games, but with some of them i have none.

Now, the problem in playing FPP on a monitor, is that there is no connection between the camera movements (which happen moving the MOUSE, and not the head like in VR) and our physical movements, and that causes confusion and dizzyness. And, in worst cases, even vomit.

Chill guys, at worst we'll have a mod that will allow us to walk around the city in tpp.

I doubt combat will ever be a thing even with mods.

Guest 4311839

We have been. We keep getting dismissed as 'whiny babies' and 'vocal minority that doesn't matter'.

Ok lets take example they announce new IP nobody knows what is it. Boom its fps doom like game no rpg no dialogs. Should they again consider TPP?

Obligated? No. Of course not. Beyond obeying the laws, a company is not obligated to do anything.

I'm proceeding on the assumption that CDPR cares deeply about its fanbase and that it's possible that the idea that parts of them that have been loyal customers for a while would literally not be able to play their games might have caught them by surprise a bit.

Might be a bit of projection on my part. I personally wasn't aware of how important the issue is for some people so I think it is possible that CDPR wasn't aware of this as well.
I truly feel bad for those with actual motion sickness and I hope they find a solution, but I also wonder how many are crying wolf just so they can get their desired feature implemented.

I read that they created dynamic dialogue system than only work because of FPP. Bascially u can move around during dialogue and you are not locked in cutscene like in Witcher 3 or other RPGs. So there is literally 0 % chance that they will implement TPP fully. There is possibility maybe for some sort half assed exploration TPP view with minimalistic animations. The biggest chance is that we'll get "Photo-Mode" where we can watch our character from every angle without moving him.

You could circumvent the problem by forcing FPP during that sequences, but allow TPP during exploration, actually...

Ok for lets take example they announce new IP nobody knows what is it. Boom its fps doom like game no rpg no dialogs. Should they again consider TPP?
If they're saying it, no. If all games they made before wheren't, if they announce TP a year before, yes.
Well, i'm done with you. For you, since you don't have motion isckness, we are whinner, crybabies and you even try strawman to prove it. And i think 17% is a minority, yes, but a minority that can't play a majority of games must play something else, and RPG are among the first choice...

I truly feel bad for those with actual motion sickness and I hope they find a solution, but I also wonder how many are crying wolf just so they can get their desired feature implemented.

I've suspected a number of people in this thread might have felt this way.

I suppose the answer is that we don't know. We can't know. But given that anyone doing that is basically faking a disability, which is about the most awful thing anyone can do, I kind of prefer to give people claiming such a thing the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming that a bunch of people in this thread are basically lying s***bags.

Ok lets take example they announce new IP nobody knows what is it. Boom its fps doom like game no rpg no dialogs. Should they again consider TPP?
No, because they will have told us nothing, as opposed to here where they told us a few tiny things (built using the same engine as The Witcher 3, it'll be an RPG, remarks and confirmations years back about it being mixed between FPP and TPP) just enough to create an impression, and then blindsighted people with the opposite of what they teased.

So no. If they had simply said 'we are making a game' and then mentioned nothing of the genre, engine it was being made with, hadn't used phrases like "everything you liked about The Witcher 3, plus more!" or made contradictory statements in the past.. no, there would have been no demands from me for third-person mode. Because I wouldn't be interested in playing a FPS game.

holy hell this forum just blew up (well something to get people together, one step at a time)
as long people put across their views and concerns in a constructively critical manner, one could well see the reds reading this would at the very least think of it being implemented in perhaps a future update post-game like in one of those inevitable 27 free dlc program we'll have this time ha?

I don't think anything we discuss here will help with the FPP "controversy." The only thing that can stop it in the roots is CDPR putting out a short demo soon, it doesn't have to be that 50 min one being shown off behind closed doors. But something showing how combat and exploring actually work in-game. Probably the only way to stop people from becoming disillusioned with the game to understand what FPP means for CP2077. The root cause of the problem is the silence from CDPR, their "will talk when we're ready" approach is backfiring as people don't know what to make of FPP without a gameplay video or clarification from CDPR.

holy hell this forum just blew up (well something to get people together, one step at a time)
as long people put across their views and concerns in a constructively critical manner, one could well see the reds reading this would at the very least think of it being implemented in perhaps a future update post-game like in one of those inevitable 27 free dlc program we'll have this time ha?

Do it like Metal Gear Solid V. Certain combat, conversation, and narrow-space sequences force you into FPP, and the free-roam and exploration are TPP

You could circumvent the problem by forcing FPP during that sequences, but allow TPP during exploration, actually...

Yea the only way they could implement TPP is for exploration. Not only dialogue system but combat is designed around FPP also 100 %... So the only way is to make some exploration TPP view, and everything else will stay FPP... But the view isnt the problem i think they already have some TPP view in cars, animations are much bigger problems, and how the world is designed with small and tight spaces around FPP view...

I don't think anything we discuss here will help with the FPP "controversy." The only thing that can stop it in the roots is CDPR putting out a short demo soon, it doesn't have to be that 50 min one being shown off behind closed doors. But something showing how combat and exploring actually work in-game. Probably the only way to stop people from becoming disillusioned with the game can understand what FPP means for CP2077. The root cause of the problem is the silence from CDPR, their "will talk when we're ready" approach is backfiring as people don't know what to make of FPP without a gameplay video or clarification from CDPR.

Really, only thing I want a demo for is to see if modders can already crack the code for third person mods ahead of the game's official release.

but I also wonder how many are crying wolf just so they can get their desired feature implemented.
We're not going to get into speculation on other users personal motivation for posting. It's off topic and very likely to start a flame war. So I'd advise all from either side of the debate to not go down this rabbit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom