FP VS TP - perspective matters

+

What perspective do YOU want in CP game ?

• FP- First person

Votes: 300 22.9%
  • TP- Third person

Votes: 457 34.9%
  • I must play TP- I have motion sickness GIVE as choice !

Votes: 99 7.6%
  • I do not care

Votes: 131 10.0%
  • I want both!

Votes: 323 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an extreme example to get my point across.

I could dial it back to comparing it with a child who was promised a bicycle for his birthday... but got a toy bicycle instead of the real deal.

'Well, technically it IS a bicycle. Be happy with that.'

Your comparison assumes that FPP is the toy bicycle, and somehow inferior to TPP. When it's not.

A better comparison would be "you imagined getting a car, and you got a motorcycle"

I think that it's very hard to blame this on the fanbase. With all due respect.

Wait, who's blaming anyone? I'm just saying that there will always be disturbances in communication between companies and customers, especially in a process as dynamic as software development, spread over a long period of time.

People are overreacting the hell out of this, I understand that motion sickness is a real problem and it sucks, but there are people in here that are straight up trashing CD Projekt and the game, they may not say it straight but they basically are.

Hey, everybody.

Can I join the discussion?

I'm a brazilian dude and I've entered this forum just today on the portuguese area.

There is a "FPP VS TPP" topic there and a CDPR was really responsive (image attached).

I'll try to translate his words the best I can:

"Guys, I think there might be a little confusion about some questions. So here we go.

First of all, Cyberpunk 2077 is a RPG above all things. We'll have classes, level system, and absolute focus on its storytelling. However, there's a difference between The Witcher series and Cyberpunk - There will not be a character you'll be able to "control" and live his stories, like Geralt from Witcher. On Cyberpunk you'll be able to create your own character; every "V" will be unique and customizable with clothes, implants, body mods, weapons, playstyles, and abilities/classes related to the player's choice. Cyberpunk's story is your story; it's the story of your "V".

We don't think the TP camera is a bad choice to tell stories - we created three The Witcher games with it a TP camera after all. That's not what I want to say. We believe that the FP camera is actually the best way to tell THIS story, Cyberpunk's story. We don't want to stick to what is already known and confortable. To design games is like to make art for us.

And about your character, we'll have a lot of opportunities for that (for seeing your character). The customization is a very large part of character creation and you'll be able to see it in cutscenes, mirrors, menus, among other places. There will be plenty of opportunity to see your own character.

I know it might sound weird the idea of a first person camera, but we really believe it will help us to tell the story we want to tell with Cyberpunk. The story of each unique "V". This said we are collecting the feedback of the community."

PS: I can understand everything I read in english, but my writing needs a little of practice so thanks for your patience.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/fpp-vs-tpp.10970366/page-2#post-10994849
Thanks a lot, dude. This helps! Can somebody have a mod pin this post or something?

I'm assuming (yes ... the evil word assume) one of the reasons for selecting FP is Cyberpunk implants and game HUDs.

In most games you get a set HUD, which may, or may not, be customizable. With CP2077 you have the ultimate in customization, the implants your character has determine what HUD elements you have.

From an "immersion" point-of-view I fully understand CDPRs decision, and agree with it.
BUT.
In their quest for the most immersive game possible they made a mistake, shit happens. Hopefully some remedy exists. I seriously doubt anyone at CDPR considered the motion sickness issue or how many people suffer from it (I'm frankly surprised myself, I'd have guessed maybe 5%). And no company in it's right mind is going to say "Fuck 17% (or whatever) of our potential customer base."

It's a mistake, we all make them, have faith they'll do what they can to correct it.

Your comparison assumes that FPP is the toy bicycle, and somehow inferior to TPP. When it's not.

A better comparison would be "you imagined getting a car, and you got a motorcycle"

I feel that TPP is more suitable with today's technology.

Being outside your character's body allows you to transition more smoothly into cutscenes, bypass the feeling of
having no legs or legs that your character does not really control, and make you feel what your character is feeling because you can see their faces. If you're invested in them, seeing their faces makes you empathize
with them and feel what they feel that much more strongly.

The reason I qualified my statement with 'Using today's technology' is because there is a gap between what CD Projekt Red can put on a screen and the human-computer interface. If I'm in a character's body, I'd want to be
able to look down and see my hands and feet, shrug my shoulders, wiggle one finger, wiggle all my fingers and toes, etc. Being in the third person perspective allows me to bypass all that. It allows me to pretend I'm watching a
play, and by getting invested in the character, BECOME the character.

Just moving the camera in so that I'm viewing things from my character's perspective cannot perform the work required for us to make that leap of imagination. The developers cannot make that leap of imagination for us; we
have to do it ourselves, and by constraining us to the character's field of vision, they are just making it more obvious that the world they have constructed is not real. By going closer to a flaw in a diamond, all you are doing
is magnifying it until it becomes a great gaping crevice.

Better to zoom out and let our imaginations go to work, just as the masters of old knew to do with theater and movies.

Wait, who's blaming anyone? I'm just saying that there will always be disturbances in communication between companies and customers, especially in a process as dynamic as software development, spread over a long period of time.

I think that's fair. But, well, it's also fair to point out that CDPR went COMPLETELY dark on the game for about five years or so. CDPR released a game that actually managed to top Planescape: Torment as my favorite of all time. I never thought that would happen. I'll always have a special place in that shriveled thing I call a heart towards them for that.

But their two-way communication on progress updates on the game has been fairly, well, non-existent. This thread is the natural consequence of that tbh.

Hey CDPR,

Having options is a great thing, like choosing perspectives, Fallout did it, why can't you? Immersion? Abilities? Being up close to the world?

Arkham Knight had a low and close Third Person Perspective that allowed Batman to really investigate Gotham. Fallout let you switch when you wanted to. Metal Gear and Splinter Cell had no issue in closed environments.

So what exactly can't Third Person do?

Why does it matter if its third person or first person?
I understand that some people get motion sickness from first person and thats a shame
But for the people that can play in first person and complain about it not being third
why?

First of all, if its V then it isn't "our own character". Second, if its meant to be our character why force the name on us? Why force any of it on us?
Because this isn't a real life PNP session where you have a GM to run the game and do anything you want, it's a game and that means there are going to be constraints on what you can do. You play as the courier in Fallout: New Vegas, JC Denton in Deus Ex, The Chosen One in Fallout 2, etc, and those games are all very much RPGs. If you expected a legit 1 for 1 adaptation of the PNP game with no restrictions then frankly you were being incredibly unrealistic.

Did the guys publish it?
So sad :cry:
It breaks my heart to see something like that. Someone said that people are "trashing" over CD PR and the game itself. Well, they deserve it for saying something and then change their view without saying anything to the community. The MadQueen is one of the most supportive youtuber on Cyberpunk and maybe she could not play the game for the FPS. GG CD PR, way to go...

I'm assuming (yes ... the evil word assume) one of the reasons for selecting FP is Cyberpunk implants and game HUDs.

In most games you get a set HUD, which may, or may not, be customizable. With CP2077 you have the ultimate in customization, the implants your character has determine what HUD elements you have.

From an "immersion" point-of-view I fully understand CDPRs decision, and agree with it.
BUT.
In their quest for the most immersive game possible they made a mistake, shit happens. Hopefully some remedy exists. I seriously doubt anyone at CDPR considered the motion sickness issue or how many people suffer from it (I'm frankly surprised myself, I'd have guessed maybe 5%). And no company in it's right mind is going to say "Fuck 17% (or whatever) of our potential customer base."

It's a mistake, we all make them, have faith they'll do what they can to correct it.
A mistake? There is no source for that 17% by the way. Fully realizing their artistic vision is not a mistake. Is it a mistake to have traffic lights because some people are colour blind? The world can't be 100% fair to everyone at all times. The reality is people who get motion sick from FPP games is minuscule, and I will continue to believe that unless I see a legitimate source telling me otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom