Motion Sickness Thread with some possible solutions.

+
For anyone who isn't sure whether they will be affected by motion sickness, or if they want to test the game out first to see, I strongly recommend that you buy Cyberpunk on PC through Steam, even if you intend to play it on console primarily.

AFAIK This is because Steam has the most consumer friendly returns policy of any online platform (including GOG, i'm afraid). It's the only company that will let you refund after download/installation as long as you haven't exceeded 2 hours of gameplay. Therefore if you are unsure, you would be able to test the game on your computer first and then if it seems fine you can still get a refund* and then buy it on PS4 or Xbox.

*If you bought any kind of pre-order deal with anything from Steam you must be careful when redeeming a game because certain pre-order bonuses can cause your refund rights to become void.

Speaking from an EU resident perspective:
Digital media including games is still not covered by the typical EU consumer laws so unfortunately unlike with physical products where you have 30 days to return the product, with video games, as far as I am aware Steam is the only platform that will allow you to get a refund after having played the game, as long as you have not played for more than 2 hours. Anything over that and you've got very little chance for a refund barring technical issues that may have prevented you from playing.

I heard that its possible to acclimatize somewhat to FPP by playing FPP-games that are slow and steady on a wide FOV first, getting used to the perspective, kind of a digital immunotherapy.

Until now I've never bothered trying this out myself, simply chalking up missing on interesting games as an acceptable trade-off for not stumbling aroind desoriented ingame while getting nauseous. Yet Cyberpunk might be worth it trying to get over it.

Does anyone have any experience 'getting over' FPP nausea and if so, which games would you recommend?

I heard that its possible to acclimatize somewhat to FPP by playing FPP-games that are slow and steady on a wide FOV first, getting used to the perspective, kind of a digital immunotherapy.

Until now I've never bothered trying this out myself, simply chalking up missing on interesting games as an acceptable trade-off for not stumbling aroind desoriented ingame while getting nauseous. Yet Cyberpunk might be worth it trying to get over it.

Does anyone have any experience 'getting over' FPP nausea and if so, which games would you recommend?
Try Dishonored.

Head Bob on/off
Doesn't work.

Field of View slider is needed and imperative, for first person, for vehicles, for everything
Doesn't work either.

Increase FPS, make sure you are playing above 60FPS .You can even attach it to a TV if you desire, make sure TV has fast response time as it will cause issues as well)
I think I actually get an even BIGGER headache with higher FPS. At the very least my eyes and brain start to hurt trying to watch videos in 1080p and HD.

Also, I'm not interested in having to pop pills simly to be able to play a videogame. The fact that this is even being presented as a suggestion actually feels a little bit insulting.

Great thread, strongly suggest you oughta to consult with your admin/mod gods and get this stickied

Great thread, strongly suggest you oughta to consult with your admin/mod gods and get this stickied
Sard is a mod god (don't tell him this tho, his ego is already big enough) but currently the forums don't allow stuff to be stickied ... it's being worked on.

Sard is a mod god (don't tell him this tho, his ego is already big enough) but currently the forums don't allow stuff to be stickied ... it's being worked on.

Thank you!

We can sticky the thread, but not the top post so you always see it.

If we DO sticky the thread, then you don't see it on Hot topics and it doesn't get responded to.

Soo..yes. Issues to be looked at.

Try Dishonored.

Will do. Believe I even have it lying around, having picked it up from a bargain bin. Did try some Portal 2 today. Went better than expected (even with the rapid switch of perspective), even if I move around with all the grace of a drunken manatee.

Since this is going to be a first-person game, PLEASE give us a large field of view (FOV) for us PC customers. I use a 27-inch monitor and I know others have even larger screens. My ideal FOV is 110, anything lower and I'll start getting nauseous. People with smaller-sized monitors can handle a lower FOV.

I'm sure you're aware by now that FOV sickness is a common problem for PC users because we are closer to the screen than console users. Please keep this in mind as you build your game because many PC users will be unable to play Cyberpunk 2077 if you design the game with consoles in mind. And make that slider looooooong.

Thanks!

P.S. Would you like to know more? Take 15 minutes to watch these two videos from the FZD School of Design -- Part 1 and Part 2

Last edited:
I feel like they need a convenient and obvious "no motion sickness" mode. Like a thing you can turn on in options that will drastically increases FOV turn off head bob etc. I dont think casual players are knowledgable enough to make adjusments themselves.

I feel like they need a convenient and obvious "no motion sickness" mode. Like a thing you can turn on in options that will drastically increases FOV turn off head bob etc. I dont think casual players are knowledgable enough to make adjusments themselves.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a no-motion sickness mode. Things like FOV, speed of movement and stable camera can help some people and a menu with settings would be appreciated, especially at console as such settings are more prevalent for PC-games.

Should the shooting be more reflex based than tactical as I afraid of, then a mode to slow down the action would be very much appreciared.

Especially when things get hectic and I'm trying aim, walk and control the camera like a madman is the moment my brain starts to protest the heaviest.

For anyone who isn't sure whether they will be affected by motion sickness, or if they want to test the game out first to see, I strongly recommend that you buy Cyberpunk on PC through Steam, even if you intend to play it on console primarily.

AFAIK This is because Steam has the most consumer friendly returns policy of any online platform (including GOG, i'm afraid). It's the only company that will let you refund after download/installation as long as you haven't exceeded 2 hours of gameplay. Therefore if you are unsure, you would be able to test the game on your computer first and then if it seems fine you can still get a refund* and then buy it on PS4 or Xbox.

*If you bought any kind of pre-order deal with anything from Steam you must be careful when redeeming a game because certain pre-order bonuses can cause your refund rights to become void.

Speaking from an EU resident perspective:
Digital media including games is still not covered by the typical EU consumer laws so unfortunately unlike with physical products where you have 30 days to return the product, with video games, as far as I am aware Steam is the only platform that will allow you to get a refund after having played the game, as long as you have not played for more than 2 hours. Anything over that and you've got very little chance for a refund barring technical issues that may have prevented you from playing.
This is the only solution unfortunately. Nothing said here and in the other topic will work for everyone.

It's not self help solution, and I don't think self-help should be needed to play the game, but CDPR could look into slowing down the pace of the game (still lethal. still tense, but less acrobatic and hectic and more down to earth movement), adding certain features and mechanics that can further - at the players will - alleviate screen movement (tactical pause to assess the situation and a breather for the player, possibly phased combat rounds with queud actions through said pause... ;) ).

Of course, as an opportunist, I would suggest stuff like that.

I just find it so funny how so many people all of a sudden have motion sickness out of nowhere :D
Reminds me all my headechs when i was still a schoolboy.

I don't think it's suddenly out of nowhere. First person RPGs are not a frequent occurrence compared to your standard FPS multiplayer games we get bombarded with. Most of us that suffer from motion sickness in games have found that cause a long time ago and cut that out of our gaming library. These people tend to gravitate towards the RPG games because of their story quality and ability to not get sick playing. The last first person game I played (in first person mode so FO4 doesn't count), was Bioshock infinite and that game was so over the top for motion I gave up after 20 minutes and swore off FPS games for the rest of my life.

That being said I know what CDPR is capable of and I have no doubt they will out do themselves with this one. I will make an effort to be a part of this and hopefully CDPR can find a way to add in some of the options mentioned in this thread for both console and PC.

Try Dishonored.
Well, after another night of being insulted and mocked by a certain collective group, I decided to reinstall Dishonored and try it again.

As always, absolutely nothing to do with tweaking the game's functionality worked. I still got nauseous after roughly ten minutes of walking around. I felt sick during stealth segments and combat because both required me to constantly be moving my camera around in an attempt to maintain situational awareness, which only caused further dizziness.

Eventually, though, I did strike upon some modicum of a solution. Any time I started to get dizzy, I'd point the camera at the ground and wait 5-10 minutes until I felt like I could keep going. Now, obviously, this wasn't going to cut it during stealth sections or combat, but thankfully I found a solution for that too in the end: cheating. By simply switching off enemy AI so they didn't see me, and giving myself infinite health, I was able to continue trudging through the game at a slow but steady pace, provided I didn't do any exploring.

So sure, I guess I'm back on board for Cyberpunk 2077 now. I'll just avoid exploring and stand still and shoot during combat with cheats activated. I probably won't enjoy myself, but as I understand it it's less important that I enjoy the first person perspective, and moreso that I'm able to tolerate it enough to purchase the game.

Lookin' forward to it!
14.gif

Side-Note: Also, I'm 100% serious. If I buy the game, this will quite literally be the only way I'll be able to play it.

Last edited:
As always, absolutely nothing to do with tweaking the game's functionality worked. I still got nauseous after roughly ten minutes of walking around. I felt sick during stealth segments and combat because both required me to constantly be moving my camera around in an attempt to maintain situational awareness, which only caused further dizziness.
I assumed you were asking for games you could use to acclimate yourself to the experience. Not all individuals with motion sickness can adapt, but some definitely can.

I assumed you were asking for games you could use to acclimate yourself to the experience. Not all individuals with motion sickness can adapt, but some definitely can.
Well, I did find a way to adapt, like I said. It's not great but it'll basically be the only option I have.

Side-Note: Also, I'm 100% serious. If I buy the game, this will quite literally be the only way I'll be able to play it.
It's probably to late to do anything about putting TP into CP2077 so the best CDPR will be able to do is mess with FOV and such. Which as you pointed out won't help everyone.

As many have pointed out folks that suffer motion sickness generally just avoid FP only games (much the same way I avoid shooter/platformer/QTE games due to the twitch aspects) and this isn't really a problem. Yeah, there are games you'd love to play but you know you can't so you just shrug and move on.

It's not that CP2077 is FP only, it's that CDPR waited till the 11th hour to announce this and EVERYTHING released until that point indicated that a TP mode would be available. While I'm 100% certain CDPR didn't intentionally wish to deceive anyone they did via their lack of the most basic of gameplay information which has zero impact on the game itself.

Someone please tell me how saying "CP2077 will be a First Person only RPG" would have hurt the game in any way when this decision was reached during development?

Last edited:
Top Bottom