Character Customization - Left-Handed or Right-Handed??

+
When customizing our character, will it get deep enough to the point where we can choose our dominant hand? Thereby changing the position of the gun from the right side of the screen (as is custom in every FPP game, I have seen at least) to the left, or which hand we'll throw things with, etc. I am left-handed and that detail of customization/representation would be so cool. I have always been sort of bad at gunplay in FPP games and part of me feels it is because looking at the screen with everything done right-dominant just, instinctually, feels off to me. I could be totally wrong in that thought and just be bad at them hahah. :p In any case, I am just excited to play this game!!

Highly doubtful as that would require an entirely separate set of character animations.

In PnP CP it was a big deal being using off hand gave -3 penalty to attacks. But, there was Neural Bridge and Ambidexterity Chip. Both allowed using off hand without any penalties, and Ambidexterity Chip, comdined with pair of cyber eyes and Independent Arm Action Chip attacking 2 targets at the same time, which otherwise was impossible.

So I'll hope they'll do left/right hand choice.

Depends on how detailed the existing animations are.
Not that having hot brass shell casings bounce off your character cheek or coming out of the wrong side of a firearm wouldn't be amusing.

True, but CDPR has been known to be excruciatingly detailed in everything they do. I would be genuinely surprised if they missed details much smaller than this.

that would require an entirely separate set of character animations.
That would only be a problem with animations where Vee interacts with world objects (for example, if opening doors is fully animated with your hands visible). They could simply mirror weapon and power animations. Modern firearms manufacturers are pushing for ambidextrous / field convertible designs anyway so you don't need to look very hard for an in-world explanation.

But then, southpaws are a 10% minority, so I know better than to demand that CDPR panders to my special needs when the same time could be spent delivering a more polished game.

this has been done in both csgo and tf2 but there was a problem introduced where all text on the guns would be reversed making it impossible to read at a glance.

Then the animations should be mirrored, not the actual models after the animations have been applied to the bones.

I don't know about this. Seems a bit... sinister
*laughs at own joke*

Edit: I'm not a lefty, but I can see that this would be appealing. It would be cool if was somehow in the game.

Depends on how detailed the existing animations are.
Not that having hot brass shell casings bounce off your character cheek or coming out of the wrong side of a firearm wouldn't be amusing.

If casings are bouncing off your cheek, you are holding the gun wrong.

IMO, there is no "wrong side" for casing ejection. And, in some cases, using the wrong hand weapon can have some advantages. I am left handed, but my shotgun is right handed - well, as right handed as a Mossberg 500 gets - so the ejection port is to the right, which makes it way easier to top load.
Post automatically merged:

Speaking of left hand customization... more and more, games are catering to gender/gender fluidity/sexual orientation, race/ethnicity... but left handers and fat people, still out in the cold. So if you are a fat left hander, you have no hope :)

You always hear about this and that breaking immersion... well, imagine how immersion breaking it is to see everything your toon does on the wrong side.

Last edited:

IMO, there is no "wrong side" for casing ejection. And, in some cases, using the wrong hand weapon can have some advantages. I am left handed, but my shotgun is right handed - well, as right handed as a Mossberg 500 gets - so the ejection port is to the right, which makes it way easier to top load.

Speaking of left hand customization... more and more, games are catering to gender/gender fluidity/sexual orientation, race/ethnicity... but left handers and fat people, still out in the cold. So if you are a fat left hander, you have no hope :)

You always hear about this and that breaking immersion... well, imagine how immersion breaking it is to see everything your toon does on the wrong side.
Right but an IRL gun like the L85A2 is just not usable left handed

Depends on the weapon.
Many, most, aren't really a problem. Some however are seriously lefty adverse.

With luck CDPR will continue to "cater" to making a good game, not one that is politically correct.

Right but an IRL gun like the L85A2 is just not usable left handed
A common downside to many bullpup style weapons. There are some that allow for left side ejection, and one or two that eject downwards (which has it's own problems).

Last edited:
Then the animations should be mirrored, not the actual models after the animations have been applied to the bones.
Since its cyberpunk this next concern isn't as important but depending on how a particular weapon is operated it might be impossible to reverse the animation without also reversing the gun model. Like a sniper which CP2077 has a whole perk tree dedicated to, at least some are going to be bolt operated.

Depends on the weapon.
Many, most, aren't really a problem. Some however are seriously lefty adverse.

With luck CDPR will continue to "cater" to making a good game, not one that is politically correct.
the "catering to gender/gender fluidity/sexual orientation, race/ethnicity" mentioned by @SystemShock7 is less pandering to outrage and more of something that adds to a character creation and is probably something that should have been there in the first place as "gender/gender fluidity/sexual orientation" are canonically far less taboo in the Cyberpunk universe and it would be harder to make an immersive character in the world of cyberpunk without many of these options

Last edited:
Since its cyberpunk this next concern isn't as important but depending on how a particular weapon is operated it might be impossible to reverse the animation without also reversing the gun model. Like a sniper which CP2077 has a whole perk tree dedicated to, at least some are going to be bolt operated.
There are left handed bolt actions out there.

the "catering to gender/gender fluidity/sexual orientation, race/ethnicity" mentioned by @SystemShock7 is less pandering to outrage and more of something that adds to a character creation and is probably something that should have been there in the first place as "gender/gender fluidity/sexual orientation" are canonically far less taboo in the Cyberpunk universe and it would be harder to make an immersive character in the world of cyberpunk without many of these options
I wouldn't call it pandering (and I didn't), but at the same time, wouldn't adding a left handed option, or a body type option, make for an even more immersive character?

There are left handed bolt actions out there.

I wouldn't call it pandering (and I didn't), but at the same time, wouldn't adding a left handed option, or a body type option, make for an even more immersive character?
Are we assuming there aren't body type options? like not even endomorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph? also in regards to left handed bolt action rifles, yes they exist but that would require more weapon modeling. Previously in this thread it was talked about how all you would need to do to add a left handed mode would be to mirror the animation. It was mentioned that mirroring the weapon too would cause certain details/text to be reversed or distorted and a fix for that would be to not mirror the models. I was just bringing up the fact that not every weapon is left handed compatible and new modeling would have to be done for weapons such as snipers. I think left handed mode would be cool but it would probably be in a patch after the release.

Top Bottom