V's Voice

+

Do you like the idea of having a few different options for V's voice when creating your character?

• Yes

Votes: 67 44.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • It doesn't matter to me

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • I prefere no voice

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters
Why is there no option in this poll for no voice?

I didn't think of that as an option when I created it.
So I just added it, and it says you guys are allowed to change your answer.
However, I managed to typo it. And it doesn't let you fix typos. so... prefere it is! Sorry guys.

It might be cool if, even though there were only 2 voice-actors (1 for male and 1 for female), they did different variations of voices we could choose. So even though the voice-actor would be the same we'd get different versions of the same voice. Like a rough voice and a smooth voice, but by the same actor.

From what I've heard, im not too fond of the bro-ish voice the male protagonist has, but CDPR is probably going with one male voice and one female voice. I hope that maybe they can include a voice pitch slider, but other than that, I'd end up getting used to the protag voice. For me, voice (or the lack of) isn't a big immersion breaker.

God, please no. Don't get me wrong, she absolutely nails it but I doh't want to be constantly thinking "why am I playing Commander Shepard in CP2077?" Same thing if they hired Courtenay Taylor, I couldn't get it out of my head that I'm playing as the female protagonist of FO4 (or Jack from ME).

I love JH voice :)
Camilla Luddington did good job with Lara Croft. She'd be good. Both actress who voiced Chloe in Life is Strange could do, as a less mature "V". I really hope some shadowy corporate/gvmnt operations overlord will be voiced by The Epic Voice Guy - Jon Bailey :)

Since the thread creation I am juggling with the idea of having an audio option in the settings that let's you mute the main character voice.
Assuming this to be a nice middle ground between players that like and don't like voiced characters.

Will it feel acceptable to see the main character talk but not hear his or her voice?

I eliminated the option of not moving the lips. For me it will be an unpleasant experience to have him or her not move his or her lips in conversations.

I'm sure some clever modder will come up with a few more.
Unlikely. Keep in mind that in order to add "a few more" people would have to provide the voiceovers for several thousands lines of dialog (I'm talking about what's probably going to be 6 digit numbers here).

If we look at Fallout 4's modding community (and the size of said community is way larger than most other non-Bethesda game communities) the most they did was altering the pitch and providing silent voicefiles. And that's not meant as a jab at said community (I'm part of it), it's just to point out that providing brand new voiceovers for a protagonist is a monumental task.

I love JH voice :)
Camilla Luddington did good job with Lara Croft. She'd be good. Both actress who voiced Chloe in Life is Strange could do, as a less mature "V". I really hope some shadowy corporate/gvmnt operations overlord will be voiced by The Epic Voice Guy - Jon Bailey :)
It was awesome listening to him in the last 2 XCOM games. The "well done commander" line is now permanently stuck in my head.

Since the thread creation I am juggling with the idea of having an audio option in the settings that let's you mute the main character voice.
Assuming this to be a nice middle ground between players that like and don't like voiced characters.

Will it feel acceptable to see the main character talk but not hear his or her voice?
I wrote most of my post before noticing your post. Adding this option in the audio settings ensures my purchase on launch. I can't speak for others, but this option could be the difference between enjoying and not enjoying the game for me. I'll include my original post as it somewhat explains my thoughts on the matter.

I would really appreciate a voiceless option. Voicing my character only serves to undermine the sense of agency I have about my character. The way a voice delivers a line can really hinder the possible interpretations of that line. Take, for example, the line "I didn't say you stole my money". Placing emphasis on any of the words changes the meaning of the line. Voicing this sentence takes 8 different interpretations of the line and truncates them to a single meaning. As I like to roleplay as a wide variety of different characters, this severely hampers my ability to enjoy the game.

u only need 1 actor voice recorded (or 2 bc I don't think that game like cp2077 will have gender voice restrictions)
modifying voice is child's play 4 studio
games like the sims and sr4 got this

Last edited:
Yes, but it couldn't have.. it seems that they had no plan of adding a voice actress (or actor) to the game anymore.

I personally like what Volition did with Saints Row IV, where there was a slider and you could make your character's voice higher or lower, no seperate voice actor needed. This saves a ton of money and allows you to adjust your character's voice deepness to your liking. I know CDPR probably won't pull something off like that, but even if it's just for shits and giggles, it would be pretty cool. Having a high-ass voice as a big, muscular guy and vice versa.

I hope the character will be voiced and with a selection of voice styles / accents maybe. That word 'immersion' keeps popping up, having a voiced character might help that aspect...maybe, who knows.

I'm fine with one voice for each gender. Given the amount of dialogue that'll (hopefully and probably) be in this game, it'd be too much to provide options. Sure I'd take it, the more options the better. But that's not high on my customization wishlist.

One voice per gender is totally fine.

While in theory having multiple options to choose from sounds interesting, the reality is that there are limits to the voice acting budget. If you're going to have four or more actors voicing the protagonist, what corners need to be cut to accommodate?

Does that translate into less overall dialogue for the protagonist, or less voiced dialogue from NPCs?

Going the silent protagonist route is also a bad idea, IMO. It is far less immersive than having a fully voiced protagonist. The more real the world feels, the better. A voiced protagonist greatly contributes to that.

Tuco

Forum veteran
You probably won't find a single developer who will think that having several sets of voice over for the main character would be anything but awesome.
On the other hand, you also won't find many of them who will think this "neat little touch" would be worth its *significant* production cost.

I'd be perfectly fine paying money for 'voice packs' so I can get the voice I want for my protagonist. Assuming the cost is the issue for not having more than one.

I'm fine with one voice for each gender. Given the amount of dialogue that'll (hopefully and probably) be in this game, it'd be too much to provide options. Sure I'd take it, the more options the better. But that's not high on my customization wishlist.
One voice per gender is totally fine.

While in theory having multiple options to choose from sounds interesting, the reality is that there are limits to the voice acting budget. If you're going to have four or more actors voicing the protagonist, what corners need to be cut to accommodate?

Does that translate into less overall dialogue for the protagonist, or less voiced dialogue from NPCs?

Going the silent protagonist route is also a bad idea, IMO. It is far less immersive than having a fully voiced protagonist. The more real the world feels, the better. A voiced protagonist greatly contributes to that.

i didn't meant adding more actors
by not having gender voice restrictions i meant that u will b able 2 choose 1 of 2 voice actors that r alrdy in cp2077 no matter what gender ur character is and mayb b able 2 slightly modify it

Last edited:
Top Bottom