Combat Thread - General

+
Well, yeah they were, but this is a different game and setting - not a sequel to Geralt.
Point of factor is that Cyberpunk 2020 isn't any more realistic than the world of the Witcher. It's still a science-fiction setting - emphasis on fiction. It relies on the same kind of exaggerated, 'rule of cool' physics and descriptive dynamics, so those 'over the top' animations aren't remotely out of place within a setting that literally features people wielding chainsaw arms and monowhips, and performing kung-fu with cybernetic arms and legs.

Metal Gear Rising has nothing to do with Bayonetta, but that doesn't stop them from having similar wild animations. It's a stylistic choice, and one done in relation to their settings - as well as the fact that the same studio created them.

Some of the PnP grognards here might disagree with you on that. CP isn't a "fantasy" world, it does rely much more on realism than Witcher does.
Considering that the Witcher novels are more realistic than the games are - particularly in relation to how well (or rather, how poorly) Geralt can handle being royally frelled up by a single bruxa - the PnP grognards don't have a foot to stand on since I can all but guarantee that whatever realism in the PnP will be greatly reduced in comparison to creating balanced game mechanics.

For one, I'm fairly certain that while in the PnP your arm can get blown off in a combat encounter due to a bad series of dice rolls, you won't be encountering that particular outcome in the game.

Also "fantasy" is just outdated science-fiction. Literally 90% of the concepts and ideals presented in sci-fi tend to just be rehashed principles and concepts from fantasy - which was quintessentially the "science fiction" of the medieval era. Replace monsters and golems with aliens and robots, and adjust the lore to make more sense to a modern mindset, and it's literally no different. A flying car powered by non-existent science is no different from a flying chariot powered by magic.

I'm very confused by people who are expecting Doom2077.

Have you read the previews? The combat is quite clearly not Doom. If you can't differentiate between action combat with a lot more player agency and options than action combat where you literally just go shooty bang bang on some heckin' demons, I'll admit I don't understand that and would love clarification.

Unless you're just being hyperbolic and choosing a random adrenaline-filled shooter for the lulz. That's fine too. ;)

If you're just worried that the combat will be more action than RPG, that's a fair concern and not one I'm going to argue with right now. But if you're worried it'll be "just another shooter," you haven't played many of today's shooters...

I blame "game" journalism sites like PC Gamer with title like this https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-is-an-fps/

Sure, I'm a programmer after all I can hack almost any game. But that's totally beside the point.

If a game, any game, requires FPS/twitch combat (or platforming, or QTE events, or ... or ... or ...) no matter how you try to gloss it over it's not a "true" RPG where event resolution is based on character stats/skills/perks. You're not playing a character with their strengths and weakness but an avatar with the players strengths and weaknesses.

I have been reading your comments and I must ask you have you even seen any previews and interviews regarding CP2077?
I assume you have but it seems to me that you have very selective memory or something because you seem to be pushing the idea that CDPR dont know what RPG is and you wont have any other choice than to shoot guns and that is it. When they clearly stated in interviews that you can play with melee weapons like sword/katana. Now if I use your logic that would make the game FP hack and slash right? which doesnt really make sense does it?

The main difference between RPG and FPS apart from skills/perks/attributes is the choice of how you wanna play the game which was stated many times that there are tons of options how you wanna aproach certain quest and how you can even change your mind in the middle of the quest so it is clearly an RPG no doubt about it.

I have been reading your comments and I must ask you have you even seen any previews and interviews regarding CP2077?
I assume you have but it seems to me that you have very selective memory or something because you seem to be pushing the idea that CDPR dont know what RPG is and you wont have any other choice than to shoot guns and that is it. When they clearly stated in interviews that you can play with melee weapons like sword/katana. Now if I use your logic that would make the game FP hack and slash right? which doesnt really make sense does it?

The main difference between RPG and FPS apart from skills/perks/attributes is the choice of how you wanna play the game which was stated many times that there are tons of options how you wanna aproach certain quest and how you can even change your mind in the middle of the quest so it is clearly an RPG no doubt about it.

I wouldn't presume to lecture @Suhiira. She is fully aware of what an RPG is and what an FPS is. She is simply making the case that FPS style combat is not what she wants out of CP2077. There's no need to make baseless attacks against her.

And what does she want? So far in this thread we saw plenty of things people don't want to see, but not the other way around. What combat system would make this game a true RPG?

Yeah good question people just complaining that is not a true RPG but no one can explain because everyone have their own vision about the RPG style..

Personnaly i dont care, i like cdproject games and i want to buy their RPG vision.
if i want mine i just have to create my own game or try to apply to cdproject to be hired and contribute to the game thats all.
But hey, its just my opinion

I wouldn't presume to lecture @Suhiira. She is fully aware of what an RPG is and what an FPS is. She is simply making the case that FPS style combat is not what she wants out of CP2077. There's no need to make baseless attacks against her.

My problem is with her reasoning. That just because it will be FPP it might make the game less of an RPG which is just nonsensical.
Since I could make the argument that if the game was to be TPP it would make the game just like Gears of war which is clearly just TPS and that is obviously ridiculous statement.
One thing is to say I prefer TPP over FPP that is understanable everybody likes something different, but saying that it might be more like Doom than actuall RPG because its not TPP is simply stupid.

Btw this is not directed just at her but anyone with that kind of mindset.

Last edited:
Yes, it would indeed make us more conscious about the decisions we make and that'd be immersive and thrilling in an RPG.

But, to my knowledge Trauma Team are supposed to be an service availed by the very rich and wealthy (most likely the corporates) , so I doubt we would be able to afford them every time we get defeated.

And i do suspect we would be likely fighting the Trauma Team ourselves during some assassination mission of an important person, so lol i don't think the Trauma Team would be very eager to help us after such incident IF such an incident occurs.

And i do suspect we would be likely fighting the Trauma Team ourselves during some assassination mission of an important person, so lol i don't think the Trauma Team would be very eager to help us after such incident IF such an incident occurs.

Oh, I'm not sure if they hold such grudges if you're a paying customer.

I think Trauma Team could be used in player's favour as some kind of "perk" late in the game, if you have enough money or you receive it as a bonus from a corporation you helped out.

Some of the 2020 grognards here might disagree with you on that. CP isn't a "fantasy" world, it does rely much more on realism than Witcher does.

The Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook outright says that style rules over all. It's in "Soul and the Machine," in the section titled "Style Over Substance." I honestly expect this game to be even less realistic than Witcher series because of it.

An impressive gunplay mechanics as fast as CS:GO as well as friendly to non twitch reflex players is certainly awesome, because it would encourage players to improve their aim and reflex upon non tracking/homing weapons, thus motivates replayability even more.

It's also cool that you guys had an ex-Counter Strike pro to run the demo. Kinda makes us assured that the game is looking forward for an fast paced action.

Well its CDPR after all so I have no doubts that it will be an awesome experience to see the finished game.

Trauma Team as a perk works very well. Trauma Team as a way to keep respawning or as a mobile health box would be terrible.

Top Bottom