Are we gonna have the option to make our character a coward that develops with time?

+
i just think that would be dope to have a character that becomes more brave the more deep you get into the lore, just imagine:

first upgrade:

A: this is my first upgrade hehe
B: ...good to know
A: hey, i don't want to bother you, but is it gonna hurt?
B: umm, no?, otherwise i wouldnt be ripping arms off every day
A: oh ok, that makes sense... could you hold my hand?
B: dude, what?
A: it just that this augmentation makes me nervous
B: it's just an arm dude
A: please
B: ...aaalright?
A: thanks
B: ...dude, i can't change your arm if you keep shaking
A: i'm trying not to
B: then try harder, cause i can't work like this
A: ok, just do it already
B: ok, here we g-
A: oh my god, i can't look at this
B: jesus dude, are you fuckin-?, alright, alright, at the count of three im changing your arm
A: ok, ok
B: one... two...
A: oh my god, i can't do this
B: we're done
A: wait what
B: it just taking an arm off, it doesn't hur-
A: HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT!
B: JESUS CHRIST YOU KEEP ACTING LIKE THAT AND I'M KICKING YOUR ASS OUTTA HERE!

245th upgrade:

B: ...i don't think that i understand your instructions
A: you heard them right
B: ...you want me to replace your abs with a grenade dispenser?
A: yes
B: ...that launches grenades at 300 Km/h
B: ...and you want it to do it at the rythm of Africa by To-
A: By Toto, yes
B: ...
A: ...
B: ...only a crazy son of a bitch would do-
A: i ain't bitch made
B: ...ok, fuck it, let's get to work

Maybe hesitant of being further augmented, sure. But I feel like a character being a flat-out coward that's afraid their own shadow wouldn't fit the tone of Cyberpunk 2077.

Maybe hesitant of being further augmented, sure. But I feel like a character being a flat-out coward that's afraid their own shadow wouldn't fit the tone of Cyberpunk 2077.

It wouldn't fit what we know of the character's background as well, since V is apparently a mercenary.

Starting out as a coward might make sense if the protagonist was just a regular person at the start of the game, but it makes much less sense for someone whose chosen career path involves gunfights.

Kind of wish the game started you right at the beginning of V getting into being a mercenary and being green, instead of being a mid level one already. I like to have my characters start from a nobody and grow into somebody.

A game about a coward. Excellent idea.

(And that's where my comment should have stopped)

by the way, I'm the biggest coward. But Shaw once wrote "you can not be a hero without being a coward".
so maybe there's hope for me. maybe.

Last edited:
the game may not start us as you want OP , but I think those dialogue of yours are begging you to write a story around them .

i just think that would be dope to have a character that becomes more brave the more deep you get into the lore, just imagine:

first upgrade:

A: this is my first upgrade hehe
B: ...good to know
A: hey, i don't want to bother you, but is it gonna hurt?
B: umm, no?, otherwise i wouldnt be ripping arms off every day
A: oh ok, that makes sense... could you hold my hand?
B: dude, what?
A: it just that this augmentation makes me nervous
B: it's just an arm dude
A: please
B: ...aaalright?
A: thanks
B: ...dude, i can't change your arm if you keep shaking
A: i'm trying not to
B: then try harder, cause i can't work like this
A: ok, just do it already
B: ok, here we g-
A: oh my god, i can't look at this
B: jesus dude, are you fuckin-?, alright, alright, at the count of three im changing your arm
A: ok, ok
B: one... two...
A: oh my god, i can't do this
B: we're done
A: wait what
B: it just taking an arm off, it doesn't hur-
A: HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT!
B: JESUS CHRIST YOU KEEP ACTING LIKE THAT AND I'M KICKING YOUR ASS OUTTA HERE!

245th upgrade:

B: ...i don't think that i understand your instructions
A: you heard them right
B: ...you want me to replace your abs with a grenade dispenser?
B: ...that launches grenades at 300 Km/h
B: ...and you want it to do it at the rythm of Africa by To-
A: By Toto, yes
B: ...only a crazy son of a bitch would do-
A: i ain't bitch made
B: ...ok, fuck it, let's get to work

Now I just feel like I need to know the story of the other upgrades.:unsure:

I dont' think it'll really work out. Most likely having a high 'cool' will be the best solution to getting through most situations non-violently. A coward would have to have a low cool meaning that every encounter would have a higher chance of ending violently.. A coward wouldn't really have any want to be a merc.

We already know that they folded attractiveness into the cool stat.. so there's no way to be an attractive coward who can charm their way out of situations. It'll really depend on if they folded the empathy stat into cool or intelligence. If they folded it into intelligence then it'll hopefully be possible to be an intelligent coward and then get through things non-violently using your intelligence. However, if they folded it into Cool or just did away with it all together then you can only be attractive and cool (non-violent path) or ugly and cowardly (violent path.)

i just think that would be dope to have a character that becomes more brave the more deep you get into the lore

I'd hoped there'd been a possibility to play a coward from beginning to the very end, but it doesn't seem like it suits what CDPR inteds with the character and the storyline.

Kind of wish the game started you right at the beginning of V getting into being a mercenary and being green, instead of being a mid level one already. I like to have my characters start from a nobody and grow into somebody.
We're quite green. Jackie is faaar more experienced than us. He's level 8 while we're level 2.
So like narrator said, we're close to beginning of the game.

That seems AMAZING because anyone can be the chosen that so how is great at anything but being a coward a nobody that has to learn the way the night city works to become a legend now that's a story.

Because remember this person is new to night city that means that they could be whoever some badass like Vince diesel or some coward that doesn't know his pistol from his rocket launcher.

I agree with some posters here being green is okay but not a coward . This is a violent world with gangs and corpos where the strong take from the weak so being a coward might lead to V`s death as an easy mark . NC was voted the worst city in America .
Post automatically merged:

We're quite green. Jackie is faaar more experienced than us. He's level 8 while we're level 2.
So like narrator said, we're close to beginning of the game.

What i find interesting is you can`t level up Jackie the way you want , he is what he is . So will Jackie always be level 8 and eventually V out grows him / he becomes cannon fodder in the early / mid game ( forcing V to find stronger companions ). Or was that level only for the demo and V`s companions will level with him / her ?

Last edited:
I agree with some posters here being green is okay but not a coward . This is a violent world with gangs and corpos were the strong take from the weak so being a coward might lead to V`s death as an easy mark .
Post automatically merged:

What i find interesting is you can`t level up Jackie the way you want , he is what he is . So will Jackie always be level 8 and eventually V out grows him / he becomes cannon fodder in the mid game . Or was that level only for the demo and V`s companions will level with him / her ?

Yeah this is a world of gang and violence but showing how V triumphantly comes over those odds and showing that if even you are afraid doesn't mean you can't make a difference.

What i find interesting is you can`t level up Jackie the way you want , he is what he is . So will Jackie always be level 8 and eventually V out grows him / he becomes cannon fodder in the early / mid game ( forcing V to find stronger companions ). Or was that level only for the demo and V`s companions will level with him / her ?

That's a wild idea. As I've said before, I hate character levels, but imagine if out-leveling Jackie had story ramifications. Nothing major or anything just something to build in the world. Like, Jackie seems to be your friend as well as your partner. But V keeps growing and Jackie just can't keep up. So V finds a new partner that's more talented than Jackie. V tries to keep in touch but eventually, Jackie becomes a shadow from the past.

Fast forward and V meets up with Jackie again. Jackie asks if V wants to do a job for old times sake. V, being much more skilled and used to larger pay-offs can do 3 things:
1)Take the job with Jackie - netting very small xp and money gains (compared to what V is now used to)
2)Decline the job with Jackie - This is small time. It's where V came from, not where he's going. This ends the friendship with Jackie.
3)Decide to bring Jackie along on the job V is chasing - This job is way above Jackie's abilities. While it's a good intention, to get Jackie more money than he would otherwise get, the job is simply too complex for him and he ends up dying.

I really like your idea it would be a cool main / side quest . V might need friends at the end like in TW3 but you might have burned Jackie ( if you picked to wrong option ) so he wont come to your aid . It `s very CDPR to find out 3 hours later you made a mistake with Jackie .

The game shouldn't be about an outright coward, but it shouldn't be a power fantasy. It should make us fear every choice and every wrong step. If you look and compare the trailers for the last Deus Ex games, they seem obviously inflicted by the type of narratives of the likes of Nolan's Batman: the hero that has the weight of the world on their shoulders. Even though DE leaves the choice, and sometimes a difficult one, to the player, who has to ponder the options, the messianic subtext is there, as is the exceptionality of the character: Adam Jensen, JC Denton... Batman... and most any superhero, are legitimized on the basis of their position as extraordinary. They are legitimized by the narrative to be the ones making the decisions and they are superheroic. They will eventually win.

In Cyberpunk 2077 and Red, and 2020 (even though I'm no expert, as I've never played them), you should feel like you're just some guy. You aren't exceptional. Others have that technology. Others sold their soul for it somehow: they sold to unrestrained capitalism, to immorality harvesting them or whatever. If you venture into a seedy, dangerous place where you can be outnumbered or outgunned, no higher destiny is going to save you.

That being said, it seems that this might be contradicted by the whole plot about the chip of immortality... but at least we kind of know that we will experience loss if we're careless or brash, and that's kind of the dilemma of immortality: seeing others perish around you. Mostly it seems like a clever justification out of scumsaving and for us to stick to our choices, no matter how damaging they are to our character.

I think the more options the better...

But I instantly think of KC: Deliverance and want to bang my head on the wall.

i doubt that the we'll be able to play V as a coward. V is a mercenary and most of the choices that the player can make probably won't deviate to far from a badass gun for hire. If you're looking for a bit more freedom to play any kind of Cyberpunk character you want, I'd recommend checking out he Cyberpunk tabletop game.

Like Kaneki Ken in Tokyo ghoul? That'd be damn neat... they could even develop multiple personalities to suit traumatic events and switch between them as an optional trait!

Top Bottom