Combat Thread - General

+
So you believe it's impossible for CDPR, or any developer for that matter, to incorporate two, distinct, separate sets of mechanics in a single game?
I believe its impossible to make both of them fully formed systems, yes. Regardless of who the dev is.

They need to pick one and stick to it. I dont care if its twitch based or heavily stats based, i just want them to do one thing well then try to smash two conflicting things together.

Everyone wants options and i get it. But with certsin mechanics theyre just too at odds to do well simultaneously. So many things would need to be looked at and every single game ive ever played that tried to hybridize certain mechanics or provide ootions has always felt like it was clunkier than it should be. In combat especially.

Is CD Projekt the one to crack the code? I suppose its possible. But coming from a dev with zero track record in FPS games its enough to expect them to do one thing well (im counting an stats based system in here too, since it would still be first person) then to expect them to so both well, AND marry them harmoniously.

My faith only goes so far

Last edited:
I believe its impossible to make both of them fully formed systems, yes.

Consider reading the past couple pages of discussion. We discuss the topic in more depth.

Not asking for two fully formed systems. Asking for skills to have an impact on combat, I.E., a weapon handling skill.

You can like that concept or not, but I'm not going to buy the whole "oh but it's too difficult" line. It's not difficult. Recoil, bullet spread, etc. all already likely exists on a per-weapon basis... so it should be a matter of adjusting a few integers. Yes I'm aware that it's more complex than that, just making a point.

1. Want FPS combat? Invest in FPS skills (weapon handling and such). Bullet spread/recoil/reload speed will then likely all be minimal, probably not noticeable at all as an "RPG" mechanic.
2. Want RPG combat? Invest less in the FPS skills and more in other skills. Woo, now your character's shooting is, y'know, actually affected by his or her skills.

Again, you can not like the idea (though I'm not sure why you wouldn't, since you would be able to have your FPS combat regardless), but you're going to need come up with a more compelling reason that it can't be done than what you've offered so far.

Yeah... That was cool... But for a serious show, AC is supposed to be, the devs (and the writer before them) should check what happens to the bullet after firing. That would be the most useless feature in the history of firearms. You can't retrieve a round. It gets destroyed on impact. Even if you fire at something soft.

Ive never watched altered carbon but such a feature wouldnt be useless. It could prevent a murder from being traced because youd be removing evidence from the scene.

Consider reading the past couple pages of discussion. We discuss the topic in more depth.

Not asking for two fully formed systems. Asking for skills to have an impact on combat, I.E., a weapon handling skill.

You can like that concept or not, but I'm not going to buy the whole "oh but it's too difficult" line. It's not difficult. Recoil, bullet spread, etc. all already likely exists on a per-weapon basis... so it should be a matter of adjusting a few integers. Yes I'm aware that it's more complex than that, just making a point.

1. Want FPS combat? Invest in FPS skills (weapon handling and such). Bullet spread/recoil/reload speed will then likely all be minimal, probably not noticeable at all as an "RPG" mechanic.
2. Want RPG combat? Invest less in the FPS skills and more in other skills. Woo, now your character's shooting is, y'know, actually affected by his or her skills.

Again, you can not like the idea (though I'm not sure why you wouldn't, since you would be able to have your FPS combat regardless), but you're going to need come up with a more compelling reason that it can't be done than what you've offered so far.
I read that and hinestly i cant see that changing the nature of fos comabt in game that much. It wouldnhave less of an impact than you think and would just chsnge the gsme from full twitch shooter to 85% twitch shooter with really nominal stat effects that do little to a competent shooter unless theyre really drastic effects.

This is kinda what i mean by watering it down. I dont think it would do anything to change the basic nature of combat i think its just making the shooting slightly less sarisfying while being a pretty token nod to stats affecting the gsme.

I read that and hinestly i cant see that changing the nature of fos comabt in game that much. It wouldnhave less of an impact than you think and would just chsnge the gsme from full twitch shooter to 85% twitch shooter with really nominal stat effects that do little to a competent shooter unless theyre really drastic effects.

This is kinda what i mean by watering it down. I dont think it would do anything to change the basic nature of combat i think its just making the shooting slightly less sarisfying while being a pretty token nod to stats affecting the gsme.
I'm well aware of the impact it would have, and I think it would be perfectly satisfying.

I don't think it would be watered down, and I think it would change the nature of combat enough to be satisfying for RPG fans (if it doesn't change the nature of combat for FPS fans, that's great).

We want to feel our characters get better at shooting, through skill progression.

Yeah sorry i just cant see it working that well. Give me one or the other. Thats just me.

I really have nothing else to say in this thread other than i wish people would stop misinterpreting my comments as hating on Stats based gameplay or acting like i only want straight twtich gameplay. Because thats not my stance.

I really need to rewatch all the interviews because I swear I heard them confirm that aim for a weapon would be influenced by your character's stats. :unsure:

As for the discussion, I hope character stats matter more than my own ability to aim because my disability makes shooters extremely difficult. Fallout 4's VATS system was the only way I could play through that game. And no, an easier difficulty isn't a great answer. I play most games on the highest difficulty as long as they're designed with good accessibility in mind.

I really need to rewatch all the interviews because I swear I heard them confirm that aim for a weapon would be influenced by your character's stats. :unsure:

As for the discussion, I hope character stats matter more than my own ability to aim because my disability makes shooters extremely difficult. Fallout 4's VATS system was the only way I could play through that game. And no, an easier difficulty isn't a great answer. I play most games on the highest difficulty as long as they're designed with good accessibility in mind.
Really? Let me know if you find confirmation for that. That would be very interesting.

Really? Let me know if you find confirmation for that. That would be very interesting.

So, I think I misheard it, but I found this tidbit about smartguns being their answer for people who don't like twitchy gunplay. This seems like a reasonable confirmation that smartguns may be more readily available than you'd expect and that regular gunplay isn't influenced by stats like traditional RPGs.

I found this tidbit about smartguns being their answer for people who don't like twitchy gunplay.

Yeah, that was known. But the way it’s been described it sounds more like a auto-hit crutch than a systemic solution that’s being asked for.

It’s good that they’ve considered it, but... I think it deserves a bit more systemic intrigue and influence than what it sounds like.

I mean, the action crowd get a neat finetuned combat experience, a fair thing to do - since it’s already been a concern for CDPR and the intent to adress it exists - would be to give the RPG crowd a bit more charactersystems to play with in this regard if it is at all possible (and why wouldn’t it be).

Last edited:
The only feasible alternative to pure twitch action supported by stats is pause and play, like vats or what Mass Effect has done. Having stats undermine player skill by affecting accuracy is a terrible solution. There's a critical point here where they can't have it both ways. They need to lean heavily into one camp or the other.

Having stats undermine player skill by affecting accuracy is a terrible solution.

I disagree. It’s terrible as a solution only if the player comes to it unaware of it’s existence and ignorant of its purpose. It’s a gameplay feature intended as part of the experience just like any other metric that works as a limiter of capability. Although, I do think the intensity of such a mechanic is possible to make adjustable (i.e. Combat difficulty options) to some degree.

I agree about the pause and play, though.

The only feasible alternative to pure twitch action supported by stats is pause and play, like vats or what Mass Effect has done.
If people (not you @Garrison72 ) think there can be one, and ONLY one combat system used in a game they're incorrect.
If however there is a single system then I totally agree it should be either FPS/twitch or RPG not a bastardized hybrid system.

There's no reason at all you can't have two systems.
When you start a new game you select which system to use, FPS/twitch or RPG. If you go FPS/twitch the character skills are truncated and you don't even see firearms/melee/unarmed skills since they're totally irrelevant. If you go RPG these skills exist AND you get a few more character design points then FPS/twitch players because you need them for skills that don't exist in FPS/twitch.

For combat the game plays like your typical TFS/twitch game, BUT RPG players get "pause" and "character attack" buttons that don't exist for FPS/twitch players as they're not needed.

It's really not all that difficult.

And I want to stress yet again, this is a single-player game, there is no PvP, no one gets any sort of competitive edge by using one system or the other.

Guest 4211861

I think cyber improvements, clothes and weapons should also have degrees of Quality. Maybe even vehicles, we've seen high-class vehicles in the images.

No, I don't mean that rarity BS, nobody cares about rarity, except the Pokemon noobs.

I mean, for example for cyber prosthetics, there should be like (at least):
  • Cheap black market improvements that look kind of shoddy and stolen off unwilling people, ilegally...
  • Mid-level quality stuff
  • High quality stuff
  • Military issue improvements
  • Luxury cyber improvements, made by luxury companies, that also make e.g. jewels and super expensive, jewel-laden consumer electronics
  • prototype gear

And the same thing for clothes and weapons. I want to get the best luxury clothes and weapons engraved in gold or platinum.

Thoughts? I mean, we're not gonna be lowly mercenaries forever, we're gonna hit the big-time eventually and we need to look the part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, most of the gear you're talking about is made by 3 companies. To avoid the standard Good-Bad-Better-Best quality mechanic, you could use the three companies to rate gear, namely Militech and two other Asian companies (can't remember their names). So, if this feature would be implemented into the game, then your quality can be based off of which company it comes out of.

I hope our loot consists of different types of armor/implants just like TW3. I hope this time around we can dye our armor whatever color we want to right from the start. I wasn't a big fan of how they destroyed the original beautiful textures of the Witcher school armors to make it dyeable.

Guest 4211861

It seems silly not to have luxury cyber gear in a game that just screams "rampant income inequality" and "some of these people have so much money they have no clue what they could possibly buy with it, therefore they spend on gold cybergear".

I understand one of the NPCs has a gold arm - I want the same, but with a sort of floral design, maybe a mosaic.

It makes sense to have expensive, unnecessary cyber gear, limousines, engraved revolvers etc. in such a game.

All the while the Gini coefficient is crying.

Top Bottom