Hardware/Software Technical Discussion Thread

+

jcchg

Forum regular
Is CDPR implementing Radeon graphics technologies as well as Nvidia's? (PC)

AMD recently reported that their "Primitive Shader" feature implementation will depend on game developers.
https://www.techpowerup.com/240879/amd-cancels-implicit-primitive-shader-driver-support

So, I questioned myself if CD is actively implementing Nvidia technologies (let'ts say Gameworks, PhysX, Ansel...) as well as Radeon technologies (let's say Vulkan, Async Compute, Primitive Shader...). I know their partnership with Nvidia in The Witcher 3. I don't know if these implementations could not be in Cyberpunk 2077 because it's already in a advance stage.

By the way, I own a Radeon RX 480.

I hope so. AMD's hair physics/TressFX were significantly better as far as looks and performance go than Nvidia's Hairworks. AMD is also much less of a poop-flinging bully than Nvidia when it comes to doing the best thing for the market.

[video=youtube;wrhSVcZF-1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhSVcZF-1I[/video]

I haven't looked into their other shader technologies, though. I'll do so now.

I'm inclined to believe them. Quite a few journos went away saying the demo they saw can't be played on current gen.

If true that would push the release of the game to late 2020. The new Xbox is in development but still a few years of, Sony has only stated that the PS4 is nearing the end of its lifecycle.

Personally, I don't care to wait for graphics that are just a little bit better. I like good graphics as much as the next person, but vastly prefer good and interesting story, gameplay and polish.

Also, late PS3 games and early PS4 games didn't look that much different. It usually takes a while for developers to get used to programming for the next console, so why delay to wait for the next gen? Simply downgrade the graphics somewhat compared to the PC release and everything would be fine.

At first you feel hyped seeing CDPR is pushing next gen and in general are one step ahead of game industry. But then you remember that this is gen is the gaming equivalent of "Generation Z" so... Marketing ploy?

If true that would push the release of the game to late 2020. The new Xbox is in development but still a few years of, Sony has only stated that the PS4 is nearing the end of its lifecycle.

Personally, I don't care to wait for graphics that are just a little bit better. I like good graphics as much as the next person, but vastly prefer good and interesting story, gameplay and polish.

Also, late PS3 games and early PS4 games didn't look that much different. It usually takes a while for developers to get used to programming for the next console, so why delay to wait for the next gen? Simply downgrade the graphics somewhat compared to the PC release and everything would be fine.

Well there's more to it than graphics as the video explains. We're talking about scale, detail and more moving parts on screen than we have yet to see. It's possible it will be cross gen as well. The CEO said in an interview their tech is ready for next gen.

I think this gen will get the scaled back one, but the next gen will be able to release most or all of the full power of the game, High end PC's will be able to use the full power. I got a 980TI, I have been holding off originally because of the crazy prices of the 1080TI, but now I am just trying to hold off for the next gen cards for whenever they get released. Depending on when cyberpunk 2077 comes out, I might go ahead and get a 1080 if we don't hear anything about the next gen cards by then.

its important to note that the 50min demo supposedly ran in 720p with those PC specs. I just dont see this working on xbox one or ps4. this might be the first game that only works on X1X and Pro ditching the base models.

I don't think this is a next gen games. Yeah, yeah it looks great and everything but a long time ago I read a very intricate article in a gaming magazine that is specialized in the development process and technical aspecte. The article was about CD Projekt and how they managed to bring the game to consoles and what they had to do for it. I think the very same will happen here. It won't look as good as it might did in the demo but it will work on the consoles. They also manage to run GTA V and while the screenshots are looking great, the trailer didn't blew me away honestly. The game does not look that advanced compared to other games that were presented at the E3, meaning not so much advanced that it couldn't be adjusted for a console hardware or current PC hardware.

Very few have that card I know, but how many actually play at 4k?

I think it will be fine at PC 1-2 years later.

4K players on PC are the ones who buy cards like TITAN and 1080 Ti. The rest of the mid tier PC players trying 4K will either SLI two 1070s or grab a 1070 Ti and neither of those will run any recent open world game at 60fps on ULTRA settings. So they might have to play it on High to Very High.

TL;DR - Not many. 4K (videogame industry's current favorite buzzword) 60fps on PC still too expensive.

nexgen consoles that is.

go to 12:38 if you dont want demo spoilers.

(and this is a good thing.)

This is exactly what I was talking about a few days ago. Just by looking at the E3 trailer you can tell that this game is not going to run on current-gen consoles the way it looks in the trailer. I am just speaking from personal experience here as most PS4 exclusives I have seen have been downgraded after their initial reveal. Yes, even Uncharted, which still looks beautiful. The only exception is GoW, which looked bland and had a washed out look to it at the reveal and then it actually got an upgrade for the retail product with sharper textures, better character models, and better lighting.

I could be totally wrong. CDPR could have found a way to render this game (magically) with everything looking like it does in the trailer. This is all speculation as of right now, true, but there is proof out there that what we see at initial reveal isn't always what we get, at least not 100% anyway.

Guest 4310777

Lots of bad assumptions here. The demo used a 1080ti but, sources say it was running in 4K and locked at 30hz, we can't be sure what frame rate is actually achieveable.

SPECULATION:
-Engine will undergo optimisation
-2160p at 60hz on next gen cards
-2160p at 30hz on next gen consoles
-1440p at 60hz with GTX 1080ti
-1080p at 60hz with GTX 1080
-1080p at 60hz at reduced quality with GTX 1070/1060
-1080p at 30hz at reduced quality on PS4

Top Bottom