My rescore of the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer!

+
I decided to give it more of a classic Cyberpunk feel ;)

Definitely more 80's, felt like a Steven King movie was about to start, is the score from something or did you make it?

I know absolutely nothing about music theory/sound design, this is just a lay listener's take, but does it sound like the whole thing was made out of the beginning of music segments (bars?)? Like most scores rise and fall and are made of segments that rise and fall, but this was segments that just rose and as a whole pretty much did the same, like nothing felt concluded?

I get that is all nonsense, and is entirely personal opinion by a know-nothing, and 200% better than anything I could put out with the best tooling, so thanks for putting in the effort and I'm really not trying to bring it down just trying to understand why I sensed what I did. Like how if a movie has it's own take on story beats it might feel slower or faster paced than the average movie, I wonder if it is something like that or just me being weird.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes I made the music from scratch myself specifically for the trailer :)

I think I kinda get what you're saying. The trailer was specifically edited to a song, so the easiest option would've been to either make a song with the same feel and most importantly, the same tempo, or just edit the trailer to match my song better. But I didn't want to do either of those things. I wanted a slower, smoother feel at the start, then something more intense for the second half. There is a general rising of the energy all the way through, yeh, but with a little over a minute and a half to work with, it doesn't leave much space for meaningful ups and downs. I mean, it's do-able, but I would've had to have sacrificed other things too much. The way I made it was to watch the trailer lots of times on mute, and then just do my interpretation of it.

I'm not sure if that answers your question though?

Sure, I think my question was answered as much as it could be with it being as arcane as my question was ;)

Now that I've thought about it and listened to it a couple more times it reminds me of the first few minutes of a Porcupine Tree or Opeth song where they've got a really long build up with a few different threads independently rising, then the trailer happens to end right before they all crash together.

Breakdown of my impression to make my nonsense less obtuse:
< :30 Thread A rises
:30 - :53 Thread B rises
:53 - 1:14 Thread C comes in, almost feeling like a tension between A-B
1:14 - 1:33 is all the pieces getting closer the tension thread amplifying
> 1:33 is the calm right before the crash

When they put out additional trailers in another 5 years or whatever, if the style works for it you should append to this and continue the score out!

Yeh you marked out different sections of the song there, so I think I get what you're saying. You feel like it was all a build up to something but you didn't get the bit it was building up to. I can see what you mean, but I definitely feel like it ends when it ends. I often like to build my songs up, then down again to end them. But lack of time to work in aside, I felt like the trailer ended with a lot of energy and didn't require that. We all interpret things differently though. The original song for the trailer is already there in people's minds so they have an idea of what it's supposed to be. The more you stray from that when rescoring something, the more off it'll feel to people. I knew this already, but I just opted to do it the way I did so I got something that was really my own idea and interpretation without letting the original score affect what I did.

I'll be doing more stuff like this for sure! Can't wait to play the game and capture my own footage so I can really make something work with my music the way I want :)

Lilayah

CD PROJEKT RED
Really like the tune, however something doesn't click there for me when it comes to visuals. Like, when I close my eyes I can see Night City,but not the Night City from latest trailer.

Good work tho! :)

Really like the tune, however something doesn't click there for me when it comes to visuals. Like, when I close my eyes I can see Night City,but not the Night City from latest trailer.

Good work tho! :)

Well I suppose that's kinda cool. An alternate, even more 80s version of Night City? Maybe I'll call the song Night City if I make an extended version. Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you dig it :)

Lilayah

CD PROJEKT RED
Well I suppose that's kinda cool. An alternate, even more 80s version of Night City? Maybe I'll call the song Night City if I make an extended version. Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you dig it :)

Yeah, like taking a ride through the city, at dawn.. With all the neon ads *.*

I really liked the AloneWolf900's idea of rescoring the E3 Trailer - so I decided to make one myself! Let me know if you like it, enjoy!

Merged both threads. It's better to have all posts like that in one thread - otherwise we'd have several threads with the same topic which would seem a bit like a mess :D

Nice score man. I don't know how much time you spent on your song, but you could work more with layering and just build up the song more, right now (to me) it feels a little empty.
Make sure to share it with us :)
I feel like a douche for posting this in this thread, but I also made a cyberpunk music video for one of my songs and have dark-synth songs as well if anyone is interested...
this is the music video ^
https://soundcloud.com/mkdv%2Fmkdv-waves https://soundcloud.com/mkdv%2Fmkdv-aero and these are two songs that I think are fitting to the thread theme ^

And here's one with the opening music from GTA V. But I've edited the trailer somewhat and added elements from past trailers. Synchronised the transitions with the soundtrack beats.

Top Bottom