PC holding down q to cast axii puppet does not work in combat.

+
This is a weird one, but I can confirm that it does work on some systems. I've had no issue using either M+K or a controller. It may be a ghosting issue with certain keyboards. Have you tried pressing only the "Q" button, ensuring no other buttons are depressed at the same time?

Since it seems that some people have success fiddling with timing settings, try switching the game to Fullscreen mode if you're running Windowed/Borderless -- grant as much exclusive access to the game as possible.

The consensus was that it depends on your framerate if it works or not. If you lock the game to 30 fps, holding down Q works properly. If you lock the game to 60 fps, holding down Q does not work properly.
You cannot really ask people to run at 30 fps, when 60 fps looks so much smoother...

This is definitely not a ghosting issue, or related to the keyboard you use. I have tried holding down Q with no other buttons pressed, it doesn't work. I have tried using a different keyboard, it doesn't work. Also, why would the problem go away by editing a config file if it was the keyboard which was to blame? That doesn't make any sense. I ask you, are you really being serious with these suggestions?

The consensus was that it depends on your framerate if it works or not. If you lock the game to 30 fps, holding down Q works properly. If you lock the game to 60 fps, holding down Q does not work properly.
You cannot really ask people to run at 30 fps, when 60 fps looks so much smoother...

This is definitely not a ghosting issue, or related to the keyboard you use. I have tried holding down Q with no other buttons pressed, it doesn't work. I have tried using a different keyboard, it doesn't work. Also, why would the problem go away by editing a config file if it was the keyboard which was to blame? That doesn't make any sense. I ask you, are you really being serious with these suggestions?

Yes, these are serious suggestions. The problem is system specific. Point in case -- I've not had it occur even once, and I've run the game on both a laptop and desktop rig. If editing a config file works for some, that's great, but it does not mean that that fix will work for everyone else. (Plus, the config fix suggested makes the engine check for the input 100% more often, meaning the input is being overridden by other processes at the default setting. Freeing up additional system resources is probably the 1 thing that will definitely have an effect.)

I find the 30 FPS thing interesting, though the issue is not be caused by FPS directly. (I run my desktop at a locked 60 FPS without a problem.) Certain games will sync input commands with certain key frames. If your CPU/GPU cycles are being gobbled up by trying to crank out more FPS than your system can keep up with, that could be causing those needed frames to be dropped/skipped and breaking the input. It could be a refresh issue causing a similar effect.

A similar problem would be the non-responsive controls and wonky physics that occur in Bethesda titles when running at a refresh rate and/or FPS over 60 on some systems. It's probably a similar hiccup here. So I definitely suggest that people try to free up some cycles and sync their draw calls, FPS, and refresh as much as possible; see if that has any effect. They may even be able to get their frame limit up to 60 this way.

My experience with the bug: Been playing the game with an old GeForce GTX 500Ti-series card; upgraded to a GTX 980 yesterday afternoon (after playing that morning on the 500Ti-series) and *immediately* started experiencing the bug. Same PC, same keyboard and mappings, same save state load from the morning session.

Pretty certain it's a video/animation issue. Reports of FPS limiting as a temporary (albeit nigh-unacceptable) fix would seem to support this theory.

wow I came to this board looking for a fix to a different issue and I can't believe this is an issue. I don't recall when it started happening but I just assumed it didn't work due to higher level enemies being resistant or something. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've been getting this issue playing with a 360 controller for some time now. Will have to try the fix posted here

*ping*

I'm suffering from it too (and I'm going to do very unpleasant things to the next person that tells me to equip the skill or hold down the key for longer).

This is affecting such a small number of people, that I don't think posting here is going to solve anything. I know I keep on finding these threads every so often, though. Everyone that has this problem should open up a Support Ticket with CDPR directly.

Be sure to include a dxdiag. Have your controller plugged in when you start the diagnostic. A description of specifically how to create the issue and a saved game couldn't hurt either.

this bug is not fixed :(

workaround fix work for me, but why devs do not apply to last patch too?

Devs have stated on various occasions, that they can't reproduce this issue... Which is a bummer, because it seems that for people that are getting this behavior, it is 100% reproducible. That's one reason I have never played an axii build.

RPGGamer67;n8115590 said:
Wow, it surprisingly fixed my problem. Thanks!

Lol...six months later. But since this necromancy resulted in smiles, I'll bite:

What fixed the issue for you, exactly? I'm not understanding "config method".

I just posted this fix in another thread, might help some people here too:

So I know this is an old bug, but I'm currently playing through and ran into this, and found a fix for those of you who can't get the config fix to work and are on controller. To clarify Im playing on PC with and Xbox One controller at 60fps on fullscreen. I tried the config fix and it worked, but only for keyboard & mouse, still wasnt working on the controller. I noticed that if you press the trigger down immediately, axii will just stun. For puppet, what is working for me, is compressing the trigger about halfway. Idk why it works but it does. I hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Just wondering if anyone FIRST pressed Z to lock on to certain targets THEN held Q for axii, because that's how it works for me. I apologise for my ignorance in advance if someone has already done this

Just wondering if anyone FIRST pressed Z to lock on to certain targets THEN held Q for axii, because that's how it works for me. I apologise for my ignorance in advance if someone has already done this

Never really considered that. Interesting to see if that rectifies it for people.

just saw in another post that delusion can cause puppet to stop functioning, but still doesn't really fix the issue as it's just avoiding it, plus, I need that to deceive people lmao

just saw in
I have managed to solve this for myself on the PC. It now works! I can have puppet and delusion at the same time.

To fix this:

Navigate to your folder: C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\The Witcher 3

Open the file "input.settings"

Find all the entries for "IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.2)"

Change the entry to have an IdleTime of 0.01. So after your change it should look like this:

"IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime=0.01)"

There are multiple entries of this setting, so you will have to change them all.

I didn't test it with other signs as this is a universal change to all alternate sign modes. But I am just happy to be able to use puppet and delusion at the same time now. It was driving me crazy to have to choose between them.
Just tried this suggestion and it definitely helped me with the bug, not sure if it works for everybody but did for me so likely the very fix if someone hasn't tried it yet.
Take note of the multiple entries because there are about 3 of these lines you need to change.
Using Ctrl+F to search 'IK_Q' helps

Top Bottom