The driving

+
I heard from quite a few people who saw the demo that the driving wasnt really exceptional. I mean its not something that worries me that much compared to double jumps and wallrunning and instant heal inhaler. Anyway i just wanted to know what you think of that. Do you think it represents what we can expect for thé driving in the release Game ? Do you think it will be polished or changed like the voice actors and cheesy lines (i seriously hope they will change those, its really important) ?

As always, thanks in advance !

I hadn't heard anything about the voice actors or script changing, has that been confirmed?

I imagine most parts of the game will have some additional polish from where they are now, but I'd imagine changing the fundamental feel of vehicle handling is probably beyond polish.

There have been several descriptions of the driving that include little details like projecting the UI onto the surface of the windshield that, for me, imply a lot of thought went into how they wanted to implement driving. For me that is a better sign of the driving quality than some journalist's opinion that it felt "stiff" or that freeways felt like they discouraged open exploration with their defined track and on/off ramps (you know like freeways).

There isn't a driving implementation that everyone, or even all game journalists, are going to like. Additionally with the hype level of the game, articles that are critical or pessimistic are likely to drive more clicks than ones that praise or are optimistic. Furthermore articles that are pessimistic are safer in the long run, most likely any backlash from fans will result in additional clicks and distribution while having little to no long term affect because when it comes out if most people like it they see the critical articles as just having high expectations, while liking something that the fans don't like results in a loss of credibility as fans assume you were paid off, have bad taste, etc.

Ultimately, I think there are more reasons to give the benefit of the doubt or try to come up with reasons to not worry about features we haven't experienced first hand than there are reasons to allow second/third hand criticisms and anxieties to influence our expectations.

I heard from quite a few people who saw the demo that the driving wasnt really exceptional. I mean its not something that worries me that much compared to double jumps and wallrunning and instant heal inhaler. Anyway i just wanted to know what you think of that. Do you think it represents what we can expect for thé driving in the release Game ? Do you think it will be polished or changed like the voice actors and cheesy lines (i seriously hope they will change those, its really important) ?

I'm trying to decide still how I feel about the driving being in game at all.

Never was a big part of my Cpunk experience as a gamer, Ref or watching things like Bladerunner and reading Neuromancer. It is a big part of HArdwired though, sooo..

Yeah, I dunno. Guess I won't care much either way?

I hadn't heard anything about the voice actors or script changing, has that been confirmed?

I imagine most parts of the game will have some additional polish from where they are now, but I'd imagine changing the fundamental feel of vehicle handling is probably beyond polish.

There have been several descriptions of the driving that include little details like projecting the UI onto the surface of the windshield that, for me, imply a lot of thought went into how they wanted to implement driving. For me that is a better sign of the driving quality than some journalist's opinion that it felt "stiff" or that freeways felt like they discouraged open exploration with their defined track and on/off ramps (you know like freeways).

There isn't a driving implementation that everyone, or even all game journalists, are going to like. Additionally with the hype level of the game, articles that are critical or pessimistic are likely to drive more clicks than ones that praise or are optimistic. Furthermore articles that are pessimistic are safer in the long run, most likely any backlash from fans will result in additional clicks and distribution while having little to no long term affect because when it comes out if most people like it they see the critical articles as just having high expectations, while liking something that the fans don't like results in a loss of credibility as fans assume you were paid off, have bad taste, etc.

Ultimately, I think there are more reasons to give the benefit of the doubt or try to come up with reasons to not worry about features we haven't experienced first hand than there are reasons to allow second/third hand criticisms and anxieties to influence our expectations.
What i Said about the voice acting and writing is what i hope they change. Its because ive heard about the cheesy shit and all that. I hope it doesnt stick to old cliché. Also, i Said they might change that since a lot or people from the demo wrote on the negative side of the feedback paper Jackie’s voice actor and the writing in some moments[/QUOTE]

What i Said about the voice acting and writing is what i hope they change. Its because ive heard about the cheesy shit and all that. I hope it doesnt stick to old cliché. Also, i Said they might change that since a lot or people from the demo wrote on the negative side of the feedback paper Jackie’s voice actor and the writing in some moments
I misread your intent then, apologies, but even so the comments about the voice acting and writing are pretty subjective things which aside from the trailer very few people have had the opportunity to experience first hand, and most of those people have incentive to find things to complain about.

Star Wars, Casablanca, Ghostbusters (the original), Shawshank Redemption, these are landmark and some of the most loved movies of all time, all of which were famously and widely panned by critics as being cheesy/messy/poorly-implemented in early reviews before fans got to see it for themselves. There are lists all over the internet about movies that fans loved and critics hated or ones where critics loved and fans hated, in almost every discrepancy the fans' opinion is the one that lasted not the critics'.

I hope CDPR reads a lot of the critical pieces and really thinks about what they've made, but if they are happy with their implementation and don't see a good reason to change something even though a general consensus of critics does, its probably better to not change it.

Driving was never a huge element in the PnP game. Sure you had a vehicle, but it was all 'I hop on my bike and take off to point X'. Not a big deal.

Driving around NC won't be a big part of my playstyle. That is unless CDPR is putting in mandatory car chases.

Guest 4310777

The benefit probably doesnt justify the cost of implementing sim level vehicle physics, unless the game makes heavy use of vehicular combat or racing. If they don't have the resources to invest, they should just make vehicles autonomous, or license existing code. I was incredibly bored by the driving in GTA, you spent a lot of time in vehicles traveling from point a to point b and there was no challenge, no complexity to the physics, it didn't feel like a rewarding experience at all.

I'm trying to decide still how I feel about the driving being in game at all.

Never was a big part of my Cpunk experience as a gamer, Ref or watching things like Bladerunner and reading Neuromancer. It is a big part of HArdwired though, sooo..

Yeah, I dunno. Guess I won't care much either way?

I understand if you don't want it just because it wasn't in your games, but I mean... Even nowadays, poor folk have vehicles. Pretty sure someone in 2077 could scrape enough together for a crappy motorcycle or 2-door clunker, at the very least. Even if it was 50 years old. :p

Remember, stuff like Blade runner is set in "Scenes," as are books. So, you don't see all the in-between driving, for the most part. You don't see HOW characters get from point A to point B, you just see them there. In 2077, we ARE those characters, thus we see every little part of their lives... for the most part (no poop simulator 2018 pls).

I'm not worried about the driving being in game, and I'm also not worried about how it may handle. I've seen the same reports OP refers to, but a lot of journalists also say "it's tough to say for sure without getting my hands on it," which is true.

You can't "feel" how good the driving is without playing it. Because you have to see how the car reacts to your exact inputs. If it feels off, your brain knows.

Last edited:

CDPR should acquire this studio ;)
It looks like they updated Ubisoft's super floaty & overly twitchy (iz responziv!!!) engine with better vehicle destruction, which I have to admit is an improvement, but man I am hoping 2077's driving is on the exact opposite side of the handling spectrum!

It looks like they updated Ubisoft's super floaty & overly twitchy (iz responziv!!!) engine with better vehicle destruction, which I have to admit is an improvement, but man I am hoping 2077's driving is on the exact opposite side of the handling spectrum!
You and me both.

Personally, I preferred GTA 4's driving to GTA V's. V's wasn't bad, just too floaty and arcadey. I like my vehicles with some weight to 'em.

I personally hope the driving won't be a major deal, like it is in GTA.

You and me both.

Personally, I preferred GTA 4's driving to GTA V's. V's wasn't bad, just too floaty and arcadey. I like my vehicles with some weight to 'em.

Driving and Cousin Callsalot were the two things I saw people complain about the most with GTA 4. More than once, I heard trying to maneuver the cars around the city compared to "trying to ice-skate a bulldozer while drunk." I'm still trying to figure out if those people honestly think V is an improvement, or realized it can still get worse and decided to give up.

I heard from quite a few people who saw the demo that the driving wasnt really exceptional.
This doesn't surprise me in the least.
CP2077 isn't a driving simulator with miles of virtual roads, NPCs to race, or ramps to jump. So I expect the driving to be pretty basic.

I personally hope the driving won't be a major deal, like it is in GTA.

Driving and Cousin Callsalot were the two things I saw people complain about the most with GTA 4. More than once, I heard trying to maneuver the cars around the city compared to "trying to ice-skate a bulldozer while drunk." I'm still trying to figure out if those people honestly think V is an improvement, or realized it can still get worse and decided to give up.

Yeah, a lot of people didn't like it. Rockstar specifically tried a more weighty, realistic approach to driving, and I think it paid off in a big way. But other people hated it. So... to each their own.

I'm not that bothered, really. I'd obviously prefer GTA 4-style driving in 2077, but arcadey driving isn't going to turn me off.

Guest 4310777

The obvious solution would be to have realistic "weighty" driving, with the option of turning on "arcade mode" in the menu to improve stability, traction, responsiveness etc for those who aren't into that sorta thing. If the underlying code is physics based then it should just involve tweaking various parameters, but who knows.. Forza horizon is more forgiving than the main franchise and let's you roam around, it's probably the gold standard right now for open world driving

Yeah games like mad Max and gta V are great examples of fantastic driving physics because every vehicles should be different that everyone has there favorite but they should really try and get the driving physics because you don't want to a ramp only for your car not to even fly for a few seconds only to like rock but the your shouldn't feel lighter than a feather either it should be in between.

CP2077 isn't a driving simulator with miles of virtual roads, NPCs to race, or ramps to jump.

While I agree that the driving will probably not be a main focus in the game, I would not rule out the possibility of simple races as a minigame (similarly to The Witcher 3), or the occasional car chase or stunts even if only as part of a scripted sequence in a quest. I do recall it being suggested that the game would have 12 miles of driveable roads, but this was not confirmed by developers (their comment on that gives the impression to me that it could actually be more :)). I guess the importance of cars will at least not be lower than that of Roach.

As a single shot event (similar to the horse race in W3) or a scripted event or two, sure.
But many people seem to expect something similar to "Mad Max" (2015) or GTA.

As a single shot event (similar to the horse race in W3) or a scripted event or two, sure.
But many people seem to expect something similar to "Mad Max" (2015) or GTA.
Or they are expecting a modern city in an open world video game. The open world part stating that getting to your destination is nearly as important as what you will do when you get there, and the video game part of it encouraging immediate and direct influence modes of transportation (driving) over indirect and delayed modes (public transit, taxis, etc).

When a developer describes a game as open world it is not out of line for players to expect that the devs put special effort into travelling that world. Lastly, excited players will eventually hope for the moon if you actively encourage hype while staying relatively silent on the details.

This is NC. The chances that you have the money for bus fare is going to be pretty low, never mind enough to buy a vehicle. Unless maybe you have the skill to steal a car, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Top Bottom