GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your effort to answer all our questions , and btw a few more questions popped into my mind

1) considering the reduction of tutors, can we expect draw RNG to have less impact impact in enabling our strategies? (of course, only to some extent, is a card game after all) or will we have unique ways to enable them? or maybe we won't have at all cards that are 100% necessary to win? (aaaah so many questions 😂, I guess I'll just need to wait to see a gameplay video)

2) will cards like quen sign or gabor zigrin return?

3) how will the interactivity with the opponent be handled? will he have different ways to counter our moves during our turn, or maybe will just revolve around the ambush mechanic?

1. I would wait for gameplay, cause all of these questions can be answered with a yes and no at the same time :D

2. Quen nope, but Gabor might :)

3. You'll have time to counter your opponents plays in your turn, we'll also have ambushes for counter-play, you can choose when to activate some ambushes which is cool and a new addition to the game. For example let's say you have an ambush card in play, but the condition for it's activated ability has not been met, you can choose to flip the card and activate it's ability, of course this ability won't be as strong as the one which would be activated if the condition was met and the card flipped on it's own - this is an idea we're toying around with atm :)

Has a decision made about how milling premium cards will work when Homecoming comes? i.e. will they mill for the scraps cost of the base card plus the meteorite powder needed to transmute them or will they mill for the value needed to craft them directly with scraps?

Most likely we will mill your whole collection for full mill value when Homecoming is out, this is still just an idea , but we like the approach.

Any plans to make the turn timer stop(or slow down) when choosing with cards like Mandrake or Xarthisius?

Any ideas to keep the current game as a... back up or something, somewhere, so we can play it again some time in the future, as an alternatve to the HC version?

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Just remembered another thing!

When are we going to be able to hear the full version of that one music track that keeps showing up during tournaments/trailers/etc? (like the Arena gameplay trailer for example)

Just remembered another thing!

When are we going to be able to hear the full version of that one music track that keeps showing up during tournaments/trailers/etc? (like the Arena gameplay trailer for example)

For now we don't plan to have a soundtrack, but we might in the future :)

Guest 4226291

Most likely we will mill your whole collection for full mill value when Homecoming is out, this is still just an idea , but we like the approach.

I apologize if I’m not understanding you correctly. You said the whole collection will get milled for full value most likely and that’s awesome, but are you saying that we will indeed lose our meteorite powder and just get the scrap cost of the premium card? I wasn’t able to tell by your answer.

Hi there,

1. What is the feature you're most excited for?
2. How would you describe the new boards?
3. How exactly the shop (cosmetics) will work, and what players will be able to buy?
4. Do you plan to stream again in the near future? :)

Thank you. Much love from France!

Last edited:
Hey burza!

This is more of a half question half suggestion but are you guys considering adding some statistics or perhaps even a leaderboard of some sort for arena ? I understand that this game mode is supposed to be the more casual alternative to ranked but in its current form it feels really bare bones even for someone that really enjoys it.

You could track # games played,winrate, # of 9 wins,total amount of resources gained,etc.It would be really interesting to see how we measure up against others and it would provide incentive for people to try arena during this content drought. Since you're working on HC and changing the current client is out of the question this could be done on the site just like the proladder and profile pages.

Hello! I have some questions about Homecoming:
  • With the new tutorial, will the rewards be distributed for players who had already done it or will it be obligatory to play it again?
  • Will the game still be called “Gwent” or “Gwent: Homecoming”? Minor detail, but I’m interested. :)
  • If the full collection will be milled will we get also full scraps value for premiums?
  • It may be a dumb question, but will cards still be rectangular?
  • Will premiums still be so cool, ya’ know, moving and all this staff (it really distinguishes Gwent from other card games, like you want to have all premiums) and will future premiums be like it?
  • What about some premium arts for token, that are currently basic (like Hjalmar’s King of Undvik)?
  • Will the collection change? If so, will there be credit for artwork artists on every card (like before)?
  • Will there be drawing cards in-between round or will it stay the same?
Wow, that was a lot of questions. Thanks for answers in advance and wish You and Gwent Team best luck :)

Clearly I can't get enough leeks
  • Are card borders going to retain the same shape?
  • How will the interface be distributed during gameplay with the new board? Will leaders and points remain on the left hand side with previews on the right and such or will this be ordered in a different way?
  • Will played card history be improved with Homecoming?
  • Will mulligan/card selection scale to the amount of cards as it was intended or will it be changed completely?
  • How much space will Shupe have for kegs?
  • Will the user interface include full 3D elements or will it retain the same 2D feel, both in-game and in menus?
  • Is currency going to get different icons?
  • Are ranks and levels going to get different icons?
  • Will the general order of the main menu be preserved (sorted by multiplayer, singleplayer, collection etc.) or will it be different, if so then how?
  • Are player profiles going to get extra improvements outside of visual changes? (Game history, stats etc.)
  • Are leader challenges going to remain with Homecoming for new players to unlock leaders or will that work differently?
  • Is there going to be a special event/stream/celebration with the release of Homecoming (kinda like how you did the Open Beta stream talking about things and talking to people)
Thank you for your hard work and keep at it! I'm sure a ton of people appreciate all the answers to every question in this thread!
Hope you and the entire team are doing well and development isn't too stressful despite what you have to deliver :)
And unfortunately for you I'm sure I will come up with even more questions in the future probably :D

Last edited:
Good day, Mr. Burza! I've got a couple questions about the card ability design process:
  • Could you tell us, to what extent the card's abilities design is completed? In another post, you've mentioned mechanics not being completely fleshed out. This makes me kind of concerned, as to how many cards are at a point, where the team is confident in their design.
  • When designing cards, does the team look at archetypes, gameplans or decks they want to implement into the game? Or rather are cards with unique and interesting abilities being created, which are put in decks at a later point in the design process?
  • To what extent will swarm-mechanics still be possible after Homecoming?
I'm hoping everything is well at the office and you have all the resources you need for a successful release :)

Also, I hope it's fine to ask, but: What are the specific team's (like the Art dept., the Programmers, ...) greatest challenges/ biggest concerns at the moment?

As a side note: I really appreciate your commitment to answering each and every question posed in this thread, @Burza46 .

Hello!

Is there will be cards that include other already made cards like silver mages (they can cast 3 spells) in curent vesion of Gwent?
Like, if you want to decrease amount of RNG, will you put fixed choise of 2-3 cards into 1 card?
For example, you use Special Card, and it gives you 2-3 different situational Spells and you choose one.
Will such cards be lesser rarity than Silver/EPIC? Or you plan to create such bronze cards as well.
P.S. I don't take into account only First Light, which is bronze, but it kinda different.

Attachments

• Gwent1.png
    Gwent1.png
    339.9 KB · Views: 202

Woah, wait, what? So I'll have to re-craft every single one of my 800+ cards by hand after HC? That doesn't sound like fun... that sounds like a lot of work.

I apologize if I’m not understanding you correctly. You said the whole collection will get milled for full value most likely and that’s awesome, but are you saying that we will indeed lose our meteorite powder and just get the scrap cost of the premium card? I wasn’t able to tell by your answer.

We'll share details closer to the release :)

Hi there,

1. What is the feature you're most excited for?
2. How would you describe the new boards?
3. How exactly the shop (cosmetics) will work, and what players will be able to buy?
4. Do you plan to stream again in the near future? :)

Thank you. Much love from France!

1. New leaders
2. EPIC
3. More details soon
4. Yes, I just need to do it finally :)

Hey burza!

This is more of a half question half suggestion but are you guys considering adding some statistics or perhaps even a leaderboard of some sort for arena ? I understand that this game mode is supposed to be the more casual alternative to ranked but in its current form it feels really bare bones even for someone that really enjoys it.

You could track # games played,winrate, # of 9 wins,total amount of resources gained,etc.It would be really interesting to see how we measure up against others and it would provide incentive for people to try arena during this content drought. Since you're working on HC and changing the current client is out of the question this could be done on the site just like the proladder and profile pages.

Not planned ATM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom