Screen Tearing - Not Able to Activate Vsync

+
Hello!

So I'm playing TW1 on my laptop and I can't activate Vsync. Not in Nvidia Control Panel, not with D3D Overrider, not with Windows 7 compatibility mode. Would anyone happen to know how to force Vsync on TW1?

Can you please post your specs?

What driver version are you using for your GPU, and from where did you download them? Are you using anything like Nvidia Inspector or RivaTuner?

In short, Vsync requires the game to be in Fullscreen. It must be "On" via the in-game settings, and it should be set to "Controlled by the 3D application" though the GPU Control Panel and any 3rd-party software. (If you have it "On" in more than one location, it can create issues.)

If you Alt-Tab out of the game, it may automatically switch to Borderless mode, which is simply a Windowed mode. You'll need to ensure the in-game setting is restored to Fullscreen and restart the game from Windows if you do this.

The game does not have an in-game Vsync option. I don't have Riva Tuner, but I used D3D Overrider to try and force Vsync to no avail. I am now playing on an ASUS ROG GL753 laptop (Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.80GHz, 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti). Yes, I am sure I'm running with proper GPU (not the integrated one) in fullscreen.

The game does not have an in-game Vsync option. I don't have Riva Tuner, but I used D3D Overrider to try and force Vsync to no avail. I am now playing on an ASUS ROG GL753 laptop (Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.80GHz, 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti). Yes, I am sure I'm running with proper GPU (not the integrated one) in fullscreen.

You'll find the setting in the basic Graphics menu:
1534651447872.png

Specs look fine. Still need an answer for: where did you download the drivers from. Are you using Nvidia Reference, did you download them from a manufacturer's website, etc.? (Sometimes, manufacturer or tweaked drivers can cause weird issues like this.)

:faceplant:

(Whoops! :p)

Starting again:

Check this post:
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher/fixes_to_common_problems/post1

One of those solutions may work. Although, it seems you may have already found this.

Last time I played was...before TW3 released. I do remember having some issues initially, but I don't remember Vsync being one of them. If I remember right, I did something to force the game into Borderless Windowed mode, then limited FPS to 60 through NVInspector. (That may also work for you, as there should be no screen tearing in any windowed program.)

If performance is the issue, let me welcome to formally to the joys of getting legacy titles to work. Try each of the following, testing the game after each step.

Firstly, ensure the game is not installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86). Protected directories can cause issues with games -- very likely if trying to run a game not WHQL signed for that version of Windows. Install to the root of your drive or a folder of your own creation on the root. e.g. C:\The Witcher - Enhanced Edition\... or C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher 1\...)

Secondly, try grabbing RTSS. I'm not 100% familiar with it yet, but I'm liking it. It comes replete with D3DOverrider and a bunch of other stuff in one, tidy package. Using it may provide different results than Nvidia Inspector + D3DO.

Thirdly, be sure you're using Nvidia Reference Drivers. Manufacturer drivers or tweaked drivers are hit-or-miss, and can cause weird issues. If this is the case, clean out all existing drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller, then install the Reference Drivers using the CLEAN installation option. (I recommend against Geforce Experience. Since the newer driver versions seem to force the installation [:cautious:], just go through and remove it after the driver package installs.)

Let's see how that goes.

Top Bottom