Character Creation Suggestion: Color Palette

+
Okay first and foremost, this is not criticism since it's work in progress and therefore just a suggestion based on what I saw in the character creation. What I mostly prefer in the editor is when I have the ability to adjust the options very subtle. So instead of just throwing in the color red, I want to find MY red. So instead of having pre-adjusted colors lik 16, 24 or 32, I prefer something like in Soul Calibur with the whole color palette at my disposal.

So instead of this:
1535394173360.png

I think this is better:
1535394237370.png

What's the opinion of other chummers on this?

Okay first and foremost, this is not criticism since it's work in progress and therefore just a suggestion based on what I saw in the character creation. What I mostly prefer in the editor is when I have the ability to adjust the options very subtle. So instead of just throwing in the color red, I want to find MY red. So instead of having pre-adjusted colors lik 16, 24 or 32, I prefer something like in Soul Calibur with the whole color palette at my disposal.

So instead of this:
View attachment 10975067
I think this is better:
View attachment 10975070

What's the opinion of other chummers on this?
I like it, but remember, this is also a console game. This works fine for PC, not so much for console - very hard to finely control a cursor like that with a joystick.

But this is actually from a console game^^
I was pretty amazed back then by the editor of this fighting game and how much fun it was making your own fighter, it wasn't too hard to do and for stuff like that remember, controllers luckily still have a D-Pad. I wouldn't worry about the controls.

But this is actually from a console game^^
I was pretty amazed back then by the editor of this fighting game and how much fun it was making your own fighter, it wasn't too hard to do and for stuff like that remember, controllers luckily still have a D-Pad. I wouldn't worry about the controls.
I've never played a console game with a character creator like that, but that's quite impressive. Seems it can be done after all.

I really like this idea, it would probably be better if they inbedden both the simple pre-adjusted colors and a real pallet.
making it easy for the people who just what to play and giving more control for the people who want to make there character there's.

I really like this idea, it would probably be better if they inbedden both the simple pre-adjusted colors and a real pallet.
making it easy for the people who just what to play and giving more control for the people who want to make there character there's.

I am not sure but I think Sims 4 had something like that, with some premade colors and then a whole palette to chose from. What I like about the Soul Calibur System though is that it's still a grid and it's easy to remember column and row of your color. Of course there is also the Photoshop System the color code but I think this is pretty near to ideal in a game.

Another example where I think the current system isn't too great is with the eye colors:
1535460845146.png

While there is a nice range on first glance, if I would try to find a nice "blue" there.. well good luck then, because these kind of preadjusted colors are pretty restricted.

Last edited:
Yes! Definitely, I think this is something that should be added to every game. Especially since it really is NOT a problem in terms of actually applying the color to the hair texture. For example, Mass Effect 1 doesn't have any save game editor and the character creator only allows you to use few premade colors. You would think that you should give up because it's probably not possible to add different colors and that's why BioWare gave limited options. Well, not true - I started digging with Hex Editor in the save file and found the part of code responsible for that. Turns out that I can pick any color I want, convert it to hex code and apply it. Works perfectly fine in game.

So yes, believe we should get few premade colors + a color palette. It's not that hard to navigate with controller, why would it be? You simple move the little dot around with your analogue stick until you find good color. Then you can use R1/R2 or LB/RB to change the saturation or something to get more control. Seriously, I'm not kidding, this should be a standard for years in every single game, UNLESS you have a reason to offer only limited choice of hair colors for the purpose of forcing the lore-friendliness (aka no pink hair in a serious medieval RPG).

Top Bottom