Will there be an option to disable head bobbing for PC and consoles?

+
For those who don't know what head bobbing is, it's when the camera bobs up and down as the player character walks and runs. It's meant to add realism to the movement, but in real life our brains actually compensate for this and that's why we're not conscious of the bobbing effect as we move around on foot.

I personally don't get motion sickness from all first-person games, only those with noticeable head bobbing. My excitement at the gameplay reveal was quickly deflated when I saw there was head bobbing in the game. It's not the worst I've seen, but it's enough to affect me. Sadly, if there is no option to disable this effect I'm not going to be able to play the game that I've been looking forward to for so long.

I need to know if there will be an option to disable head bobbing in Cyberpunk 2077. If there currently is no option, I am literally begging the devs to implement one.

I'd ask if there's an option slider to adjust it's amount. I kinda like there being some (and more visible than in the demo).

I'd ask if there's an option slider to adjust it's amount. I kinda like there being some (and more visible than in the demo).

As long as we can slide it to zero that's fine. I don't want to take it away from people who like it. I just want the option to remove it completely. I already have this option in a couple of games I own, I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

I totally support this. I don't understand why companies keep insisting on adding head bobbing to games. The worst is now some companies add them to third person view as well, which makes even less sense. Anyway, head bobbing is an unnatural camera movement for our brain to process while we are sitting still. When you are walking, your head is moving and so your inner ear compensates for that. But if you are sitting still, you don't have the physical movement to compensate. I can play counter strike just fine for as long as I want, because it doesn't have head bobbing.

I'm ok with a slider as long as zero means no head bob at all. Having even a little is enough to bother me.
Post automatically merged:

What's weird is that there are some sections of the demo that don't have the head bobbing at all. So maybe it wouldn't be a big change to the game.

Last edited:
I totally support this. I don't understand why companies keep insisting on adding head bobbing to games. The worst is now some companies add them to third person view as well, which makes even less sense.
Easy answer.

It's a game feature that sells well.
Marketing baby, marketing.

Sure, on the other hand, it alienates a portion of gamers that can't play because of it. I'm not asking to remove it completely. Just leave it as an optional thing.
Ummm ...
They've already alienated CP2020's hard core fan base, and "real" RPG gamers in general.
Why worry about it?

Having the option to disable it wouldn't reduce the marketability though, if anything it would do the opposite.

I note that CDPR haven't responded, which leads me to believe the option to disable it is not available (or maybe they're just busy, lol).

I doubt they would do a slider, but maybe the option to disable it. Have any other FP games implemented this choice?

Just chipping in to support the option to remove head bobbing. To me it just looks silly, like I'm watching a video from someones helmet camera. Doesn't convey the feeling of "being that character" at all. Plus the nasty "little" addition of causing motion sickness.

And what about picking object animations and searching through drawers and wardrobes like in latest Thief?
Don't you feel sick from this constant zoom in and out every single object? In real life this also doesn't happen, especially if you reach for objects which ar close to you.

And what about picking object animations and searching through drawers and wardrobes like in latest Thief?
Don't you feel sick from this constant zoom in and out every single object? In real life this also doesn't happen, especially if you reach for objects which ar close to you.

Not to mention while a nice gimmick for a couple of times, after the 3rd or 4th time the looting animation plays it just becomes tedious and annoying for needlessly slowing down the game. Personally for me after the third game, Thief series changed its name to Dishonored.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Ummm ...
They've already alienated CP2020's hard core fan base, and "real" RPG gamers in general.
Why worry about it?

An argument could be made that they did that once they moved from the tabletop to computers/consoles, but lets not turn this into a discussion about what "real" RPGs are/aren't and keep it about head-bobbing.

I see the head bob issue as being almost as much a matter of personal taste as wheelchair ramps. How marketable is a game that is actually inaccessible to a fairly large portion of the market? I don't mean "is difficult due to skill requirements that not all players can meet" or "is not to their tastes", but actually physically impossible to play because it exacerbates medical issues? We're not talking about mere immersion here, but how many people might get hurt.

My hope is that they have it as an option. Those who feel it's unrealistic to omit are free to keep it on while those who suffer vertigo, nausea, and/or migraines from having a sensory mismatch between the eyes and inner ears can make the game playable by turning it off.

I doubt they would do a slider, but maybe the option to disable it. Have any other FP games implemented this choice?
Yes. Elder Scrolls Online allows the player to disable head bob. GTA:V also has this option but they didn't implement it very well.

Top Bottom