Is there a way to backup the install to play on a new hard drive?

+
Is there a way to backup the install to play on a new hard drive?

Hi, I bought the Witcher 2 and installed the Enhanced Edition patch.
However, I recently had to change hard drives, and due to problems with my computer's case, I could not use both hard drives at once.

Is there a way to use the install files on the new hard drive? I tried simply copying and pasting, which works for most games, but it is not possible to launch the game this way. Is there a backup to external hard drive option? The reason I ask is because I am no longer able to download a 10 gb file.

EDIT: I may be able to travel with my laptop to get a good speed internet connection, but is there another way to download the patch manually without having to use the 40 part download on this site?

You have to update some registry entries, as well as move the game files. If you don't do so, the launcher will not find the game at its new location, and you will not be able to use the uninstaller or Games feature.

Do not attempt this with a Steam installation of the game. Steam will not work if you move files.

Do not attempt this unless you are fully comfortable with editing the registry. If you edit the registry and screw up your system, your friends will say "I told you so."

This is the registry folder that contains the launcher keys:
(64-bit Windows) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher 2
(32-bit Windows) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher 2

This is the registry folder that contains the Games feature links:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games\{A4821C3D-94FE-4826-BA81-95EFBD6A35A3}

This is the registry folder that contains the uninstall keys:
(64-bit Windows) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The Witcher 2 - Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition_is1
(32-bit Windows) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\The Witcher 2 - Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition_is1

Wherever the old path appears as a value in these folders, replace it with the new path.

This may or may not work but follow the link and look at # 21 download and run it .
http://en.thewitcher.com/support/

Thanks for the response Guy.

Does that mean I have to copy the registry files from my old hard drive too?

At the moment all I have is the Program Files (x86) files of the enhanced edition and the original retail disk of 2.0. Is there a way to avoid having to copy over more files from my old hard drive?

EDIT:

Just to explain exactly what happened, my computer can only use one hard drive at a time. I bought a new hard drive because my old one was too small. I installed windows on the new one, and I thought that copying over the Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition would work, but it did not. Whenever I open the launcher I immediately get a "stopped responding" error. I do have the 2.0 disk, but the computer I am launching from cannot connect to the internet, so I cannot download directly onto it. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to download the patch because my internet is too restrictive. If there are any other files I can get that would help from the original hard drive, I could get them.

I have also installed The Witcher 2.0 on the computer too. Is there a way to use those registry files to launch the enhanced edition files? Or better yet, is it possible to extract the patch from the enhanced edition folder and use it on my 2.0 install?

SOLVED: Copy over the files from the enhanced edition into the disk installation folder in program files.

TastyCarcass said:
Does that mean I have to copy the registry files from my old hard drive too?

SOLVED: Copy over the files from the enhanced edition into the disk installation folder in program files.

Glad you got it to work.

Just since you mentioned it, copying entire registry files is not a good idea. You can "export" and "import" keys, and whole trees of keys, but don't copy the whole file.

Most installed programs will not copy over very nicely. They need to be installed to have all their links and registry entries added in and linked properly.

I would think the easiest way would be to take GOG up on their offer to get a digital version http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/ and download/install that.

Top Bottom