Media, News & Previews Thread

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
On what fact is your comment based on?
Marcin Momont (CDPR's Community Manager) confirmed it here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...markers-and-immersion.10980680/#post-11098790

EDIT: In other news - https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/05/cybe...t-willing-to-say-is-what-were-saying-7916829/

GC: This is going to seem an odd question, but how is it that the game looks so good? I’ve seen the demo twice now and it seems almost too good to be true.

PM: [laughs] I know exactly what you mean. It’s an insane amount of work, like it’s a huge amount of work.

GC: I guess it’s like asking how did they build the pyramids? Very slowly and carefully!

PM: [laughs] A lot of people got ground to dust under cinderblocks. [laughs] Not that that has happened here. We’ve had nobody, that I know of, crushed by rocks while making Cyberpunk 2077. But it’s a lot of work and it’s a lot of iteration and a lot of building it and seeing how it looks. And then changing it and doing all that. It is very ambitious. I didn’t specifically work on this demo very much but I do know the people that did and it’s a lot of work, yeah.

GC: How long have you being working on the game now?

PM: Well the game has actually been in development since… 2013 is when I started. There was a time where we needed to finish Witcher 3 and a lot of people were pulled off of that. There were still people working on it, but what you see here is the result of a couple of years.

GC: So you worked on The Witcher 3 as well… as a quest designer?

PM: Yeah, that’s right.

GC: What are your priorities then, for improving your work on that game? What are you looking to do differently?

PM: One of the things that I think is most different between this and Witcher 3… we consider dialogue and scenes and all of that to be gameplay. Because it is, right? You’re making decisions, you’re making choices, you’re interacting with the world. But we want that to be more seamless than it was in Witcher 3, or it is in most games. You walk into a conversation and suddenly the camera is its own camera and you’re making choices. We wanted to be a little bit more fluid and a little bit more seamless. And it’s a huge amount of work and it’s really, really ambitious and I hope that we’re able to deliver it because it is a lot of work.

GC: When you say seamless you mean being able to walk up to people and not have it be a separate cut scene?

PM: It’s not a separate cut scene. Like, in the demo you’ve got those bits where you can take out your gun and change what happens in the scene. But, like, when you are in the Maelstrom area, for example, and you’re walking away from those guys that’s all still a scene, it’s all still happening as a scene. It’s tightly choregraphed with all those people moving around and all of that. And stuff like that is actually really difficult.

GC: That was one of the things I was asking myself, about how much of it is just staged for the demo. Because people are always walking into frame at just the right moment to look cinematic and everything seems highly orchestrated. Is that just the demo or is the final game really going to be like that?

PM: That’s what we want the game to be. That’s what we’re building in the game right now.

GC: But how are you able to ensure that, like when the Hare Krishnas come round the corner? Are you looking at the viewing angle and waiting till they walk to a certain spot?

PM: I wouldn’t be able to specify specifically for that, because I didn’t set it up, but what I can say is that, yeah, it’s a matter of, ‘OK, if you’re gonna walk to the end of this area here we’re gonna capture that you’re walking there and we’re gonna know to trigger these guys to walk around the corner’. And doing that across a big open world… like, if you’re doing that and it’s a linear game it’s much easier to do because you know that the player’s going to be coming from that direction.

GC: Well, that’s why I ask, given this is open world. But I also know how it’s tempting for companies to cheat in demos…

PM: [laughs] Setting it up in an open world game is a lot more work, because you have to anticipate all sorts of things. And yes, obviously it is a demo so it’s very tightly controlled. But you can actually play that demo now, it’s real. Even if you look at Witcher 3 in terms of how the community acts in that, you can see some of the beginnings of what we want to do here. All those characters, you go to a village and it starts to rain and everybody runs and stands underneath a tree or whatever. And at night everybody goes to bed and they all know which bed is theirs. And during the day they go to work. And we want to do the same thing here but on a much larger scale.

GC: I think most people would agree that the side missions were one of the best things about The Witcher 3, I can imagine why they kept you on…

PM: [laughs] Thank you.

GC: But how much will they evolve in this game? Because a lot of the time they almost seemed more interesting than the main plot, or at least more unpredictable and more focused on characterisation. Is that something you’re going to double down on in Cyberpunk?

PM: Oh yeah, absolutely. The way that we develop side quests is very often by looking at the main story; after we’ve written out and sketched out the main story we find the characters that maybe we want to spend more time with, themes, or even bits of old main story that aren’t getting used anymore. Because we iterate a lot so sometimes you wind up with something that is part of the main story and then at some point you’re like, ‘No, main story has changed but we’ll make it a side quest’. And because there’s not the pressure of being part of a multi-hour long story you have a little bit more freedom to figure it out. And for us, our rule for side quests is that the story has to be something that you’ve never seen before, there’s gotta be something in this story that’s different. It’s never gonna feel like, ‘Go here, do that’. It’s you go there and do that and then something happens.

GC: The quality of side quests varies enormously amongst role-players, even the good ones, but for me I’m always looking for them to challenge your expectations. To make it clear you don’t know everything the game can do yet.

PM: Yeah, yeah, definitely. The inspiration for a side quest can come from basically anywhere. An example that I’ve been giving is that I have a quest that I’ve been working on that’s inspired by the title of an album. And I just had this album title that’s been rolling around in my head for a couple of decades now and I’m like, ‘God, I just want to turn that into a quest!’ So I figured out, ‘What’s the story that I can tell that has this phrase as part of it?’

GC: Is it Now That’s What I Call Music! 96?

PM: [laughs] Well, here’s your exclusive because I’ve been telling everybody that story but not the album, so it’s Fake Can Be Just as Good by Blonde Redhead.

GC: [laughs] Well, thank you!

PM: So the way that it works is that the quest team make these one page proposals and then we give that to the directors and the directors say, ‘Yeah, that one sounds interesting’ or ‘Yeah, but change it a little bit’. And then we go and we make them and we iterate on those the same way we iterate on the main quest and sometimes the thing you wind up with is very different than what you started with but that’s how you make them good.

Last edited:
GC: Quest designer sounds like a very specific job title. Are you writing the script and designing the gameplay elements as well?

PM: So, generally the way that it works is that quest design… the way I like to think about quest design is that we are in control of the minute-to-minute story for our areas. I have a two-hour chunk of the game and I coordinate with the story team that handles the dialogue writing and helps ensure that the characterisation remains consistent across the whole game. They’re also very heavily involved in the main story and sometimes in linking the side quests together. And then I work with level designers and gameplay designers and environment artists to build the areas and make sure that they’re fun. And then I also work with cinematic designers to make sure that the second-to-second activity, specifically in scenes when you’re talking to people, is engaging and interesting and keeps the visual interest as well.

GC: That’s so complicated. I think that further justifies my first question, I don’t know how you get anything done!

PM: [laughs] It’s a lot of talking to people and a lot of sitting with people and explaining things and figuring things out. And building it and scrapping it and building it again.

GC: You’re obviously American, the last guy I interviewed was British, it seems a very cosmopolitan set-up at CD Projekt.

PM: It is, definitely.

GC: So what were you doing before this?

PM: Before this I was actually at university, but before that I was at Obsidian Entertainment [makers of Fallout: New Vegas and Pillars Of Eternity – GC] in California.

GC: Ah, I can see how that would be relevant experience. So when you’re thinking of a new quest what are your priorities? I imagine the main impetuous is usually you either want to explore a new gameplay angle, a new story theme, or play around in the game world?

PM: Those are generally the main three things. Or even just a scene that you wanna have… like you have this image in your head and you wanna figure out how to make that happen. You might have seen something in a movie and thought, ‘Oh, I wish that had been a little bit different and I want to do that in our game’.

GC: Apart from the obvious what kind of movies are you looking at? Because there’s not really that many cyberpunk movies.

PM: No. Well, there’s a decent number, especially if you go to Japan and there’s a lot of very strange live action movies. But the inspiration can come from anywhere and cyberpunk is a very interesting genre with a lot of visual diversity. If you compare the new Blade Runner to the old Blade Runner they both feel like they are part of the same thing but many parts of it… in the most recent one there’s this spartan-ness to some of the scenes that I don’t feel was in the first one.

GC: The original was very dense but the new one has a lot of very empty spaces.

PM: Right, there are moments where it sort of pulls back and lets you see this sort of spartan landscape. But we’ll look at anything, anything can be inspirational.

GC: Like all science fiction, cyberpunk is really a critique of the modern world but how does that work now that Trump and Brexit are a reality? The post-truth era. Because that itself is a very cyberpunk kind of concept. Not to mention things like privacy issues when people are going around downloading each other’s memories. It’s already been said that the game is going to address political issues, but that is very rare for games.

PM: I mean they do, but they’re just not willing to talk about it. But I’ve been really glad that this company has let us, as developers, do so relatively freely. I mean obviously we have to be careful because this is a big company and we’re selling consumer goods and we want people to like our stuff, for sure. But at the same time these are games made by people. And people have opinions. So all of these games that say they aren’t political, those games are made by people. That makes them political. They’re made by people, they’re made by corporations. That makes them political.

GC: I always rankle slightly at the use of the term ‘politics’, which to me just brings to mind boring bureaucracy. What people are usually really talking about when they use the term is society itself and big issues like morality and tolerance.

PM: We’re talking about who has power and who doesn’t have power, and why that is. The world didn’t spring fully formed into existence with, in the case of Cyberpunk, corporations in charge of the world and everybody else scrounging to get by on the streets. That didn’t just happen overnight. It happened somehow and there’s a system to keep it in place. And it’s impossible to make a game, particularly based on Cyberpunk 2020 – which was itself a critique of Reaganism and Thatcherism – and you can’t look at that and say oh, well…That said, it’s dressed up in this gonzo sensibility that we absolutely want to keep.

GC: You want it to be entertaining, but you also want it to say something.

PM: Exactly! What I’m not willing to say is what we’re saying. And I don’t want to. Even if I knew, because I don’t – because we’re still making it and I’m one guy. But we’re gonna make this, we’re gonna release this, and you guys are going to tell us what it’s saying.

GC: I would imagine there’s not some grand political point at the heart of it all.

PM: No, absolutely not.

GC: It’s just a world in which the problems of the modern day are underlined and exaggerated.

PM: Exactly, exactly. We’ve taken something where everyone looks around and you can see the issues. And you might have different perspectives on them, and even within our development team the game is being made by huge numbers of people with very different opinions. I have co-workers – colleagues, good friends – that I disagree with very, very strongly and they very strongly disagree with me. And all of us are making this together. It’s very likely that when you play this game, just like Witcher 3… there are contradictions in Witcher 3. There’s scenes that say one thing and there’s scenes that say something else. And they may be a contradiction but that’s great, that’s wonderful. These are not just mass market consumer goods they are also these collaborative… god this sounds pretentious but they’re collaborative art pieces at the same time. Just like movies, just like television.

GC: That’s not pretentious. If they’re not art they’re just… products. And your games are more than that.

PM: I like to think so.

GC: I always think about how horrible it would be to live in a world like this, and a lot of video game worlds that in context seem so entertaining. It is a dystopia and a dystopia is not a good thing.

PM: Yeah, yeah. But then on the other hand you have people that believe they should be the people at the top, and that they would be the people at the top. And for them it seems very seductive.

GC: So from that point of view this could still be a comfortable world to live in?

PM: If you don’t think you’re one of the people that’s going to wind up on top there is a seductive energy where you look at this world which is so rippling with texture and life. And you say, ‘You know what? This is a miserable place but I want to live there anyway’. I want people to play Cyberpunk 2077, walk around Night City and maybe be a little bit conflicted: ‘Is this a place to visit or is this a place to stay? And, you know, I played Cyberpunk 2020 as a kid and some part of Night City has been in my head since I was 13-years-old and when I was much younger I thought, ‘Oh wow, this would be amazing to live in’. But I’m getting a bit older now and I’m thinking, ‘I don’t know if I’ve got the energy for this.’ But if you’ve got that energy maybe it is the place for you.

That wasn't a bad interview. I'm glad to hear that bit about the game being made by people with different political views. Diversity of thought is important.

I wish interviewers would stop wasting interview time with questions like that, though. We get it, OK? Cyberpunk will be a political game. How about we learn more about the game mechanics, the story, the world, etc.?

I wish interviewers would stop wasting interview time with questions like that, though. We get it, OK? Cyberpunk will be a political game. How about we learn more about the game mechanics, the story, the world, etc.?

I don't think a lot of people do get it though - this will be new to most people reading interviewers.

Also I'm quite interested - the political answer that you can't change the world and that revolution isn't possible in this setting was telling. I keep half expecting a W3 style major plot, sounds like they are solid on not doing that.

Mechanics will change a lot between now and release. Rather hear about those in a year or so.

I don't think a lot of people do get it though - this will be new to most people reading interviewers.

Also I'm quite interested - the political answer that you can't change the world and that revolution isn't possible in this setting was telling. I keep half expecting a W3 style major plot, sounds like they are solid on not doing that.

Mechanics will change a lot between now and release. Rather hear about those in a year or so.

Maybe you're right. My perception is probably colored by bias and the fact that us community members are undoubtedly more up-to-date on the game's news than others.

I'm not saying the answers weren't interesting, but even with what you said in mind, I'd still prefer to hear more about the game's actual mechanics, subject to change or otherwise. Politics don't interest me in any way, even if they're not "political" (I.E. typical Twitter nonsense) politics. I prefer to hear about the nitty-gritty, the logic behind the decisions, why stuff works the way it works and what their outlook on the design of mechanics is. I don't care if V's gun shoots differently in the end, or if flying cars actually do exist, or if you can't actually chrome yourself out, I just care about the thought processes.

I will say, that interviewer was remarkably competent. He asked good questions overall, and he kept the conversation going without getting bogged down in pointless nonsense. He also kept it light and friendly, making the interview-ee laugh and probably feel more comfortable. Hats off.

I especially liked the open world quest design challenges portion of the conversation.

Yeah, this is the type of stuff I thrive on, as I mentioned to Sard. When I read an interview, I want to hear why things are being done the way they are being done. I'm really glad CDPR is so much more transparent about this stuff. Most developers are very hand-wavey, saying "well, we want it to be REVOLUTIONARY, and INNOVATIVE, and EPIC. And BIG. Also did you see how BIG our world is? What? Story? It'll be excellent and engaging, but now I've given away too much."

Yes, I don't want my guy to be a god-like world savior like most major games. But enough that the character is recognized.

This interview is a few days old, but I hadn't seen it before today, and I dont think it's been posted:

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-the-fandom-interview

FANDOM: Based on what we’ve seen so far, it looks like you’re going for a deeper kind of roleplaying experience than most games currently offer. Can we expect much for players to do outside of combat?

Maciej Pietra: It goes back to Cyperpunk 2020, the Mike Pondsmith pen and paper roleplaying game [that inspired Cyberpunk 2077]. What Mike did in that book from 1988 is he created the world of Night City, which is a brutal, dark place with huge problems.

One of the biggest themes of Cyberpunk is that you are who you are and that you have to find your own thing. Even though you’re playing as a V [mercenary, as opposed to whoever you please in the pen and paper game], you are still going to have plenty of options to express yourself [in Cyberpunk 2077].

[With the] kind of design approach that we are taking, right from the character creation screen, you are already making these choices. One of those choices is the character’s backstory. You are already making choices there that will have consequences, some of those consequences will be short-term and some will be so long that they might even influence what kind of ending you’ll have in the game.

FANDOM: During the demo, you talked a lot about what you’re calling an “interactive scene system”, can you explain it in more detail?

Pietra: [With the new] first-person perspective and what we’re calling the interactive scene system, we think we’ve found a new way to immerse the player into this world.

Basically, this interactive scene system is a way that players can interact during the scene with NPCs and different objects, meaning that players are still in control. To give you an example how that would work, we’re here talking right now and I could just stand up and leave and you would somehow react to that — or not, because maybe you know that someone else would come and sit in my place! But somehow that would influence you.

Either way, this non-dialogue decision as a player would make the NPC react to you, right?

In the demo you can see some examples of that, with Royce in the deal, you could give him a chip with the money on it. You can choose to tell him that it has a virus — or not. So at that moment, you’ve either aligned yourself to the cyberpsycho gang or if you don’t say anything at all, you’ll probably get a better standing with the megacorporation. It’s not a black or white choice, it’s more of a grey one — but those choices matter.

FANDOM: Another new system that stands out is the fact that equipping clothing gives you street cred. How will street cred affect you in the game?

Pietra: When it comes to the leveling system, you get XP points for finishing missions. Street cred though is something you also gain by completing certain missions. But the difference is, street cred is used to show how respected you are on a street level, which will give you access to different ripperdocs, different vendors, different gunsmiths, and different weapon mods.

You saw that with the jacket. The jacket is pure style. Style over substance is a theme that’s been continuously running in Cyberpunk 2020, and we’re trying to incorporate that [into our game].

FANDOM: Speaking of style, will your street cred have an effect on how successful your romantic relationships are in the game?

Pietra: I can’t say too much, but the way you approach certain characters, your choices, they will matter …

In terms of how relationships work, you’re defining your gender in the character creation screen. So, going through the game you will meet other NPCs with pre-defined sexual preferences and based on that and your interactions with them during missions … there will be one night stands and there will also be long-term relationships that you’ll able to have with some characters. [Unlike in The Witcher,] it’s a bit more of a classical role-playing approach [in Cyberpunk 2077] where who you are, you define, but [who] those NPCs are is already defined.

FANDOM: Another core part of the game seems to be the augmentation-style cyberware abilities. How many different cyberware will players have access too, and can we expect a great variety of different gameplay possibilities to result from them?

Pietra: There will be many different abilities and because of the fluid class system, you can mix and match them. So, if you want to spend a few points in [the hacker style] Netrunning skill tree, or some as a techy, this is a good choice. This will help you if say, you want enemy turrets to be standing still when you run into the enemy [base].

Or you can spend some points in the solo playstyle if you want access to a particular weapon, etc, so obviously, you’ll be able to mix and match those and create your own unique playstyle.

One of the ways you can acquire cyberware — you already got a sneak peek of this in the demo — is by visiting ripperdocs. Ripperdocs in the world of Night City are people who are masters of cyberware. In the demo, you have the optical eye scanner and a weapon grip which both also connect to the HUD.

We want to create a feeling that the way you see the world [as a player] is how you make your character see it. So the Kiroshi optical eye scanner combined with the weapon grip gives the player information about how many bullets are left in the magazine and also what kind of defences the enemy has so that you can adjust your approach accordingly.

FANDOM: We’ve seen that you’ll be able to navigate Night City by car, can we expect to use other vehicles in Cyberpunk 2077?

Pietra: We are planning many different vehicles [as well as] modification for your cars. Bikes are also a big a part of the game. When it comes to flying vehicles … in the reference material, flying AVs are the most expensive thing in the entire world. So, as a player, you will be able to fly in an AV a few times, but not as a pilot, as a passenger, and it will be strongly connected to the narrative. Because you start almost at the bottom, right? In the demo you’ve seen you’re at the beginning of your journey there and, well, AVs are expensive.

FANDOM: The Witcher 3 earned a lot of praise for its naturalistic storytelling, did player feedback help you shape the writing for Cyberpunk 2077?

Pietra: What we learned from The Witcher, especially from the Bloody Baron quest, was that some of the best stories are the most personal ones. We truly believe that with those personal stories told in a broader spectrum, the core [there] is that basic human emotion, and just like those kinds of quests in The Witcher, we’ve approached designing Cyberpunk in the same way.

FANDOM: Night City looks to feature a jaw-dropping number of NPCs. How many of these can players expect to actually interact with?

Pietra: Obviously, when you encounter anyone in the street — not even in the game — most of the people won’t talk to you, no matter how much you bug them. If you bug them a lot, they’ll probably run away scared, or call the police.

In a certain way, we’re aiming to recreate that. It’s a natural common-sense approach. You’ll be able to talk to a certain amount of NPCs and people with which you have interactions are obviously connected to the story itself of the game — as this is the narrative, story-driven [type of] experience that we are proud of making.

Because we control those situations we know that “oh, this guy has to have a certain backstory,” he’s selling weapons but he’s depressed because of X, Y, and Z etc. You may pass him by and know he’s a vendor, but until you start a conversation with him, you might not know that he has something for you to do. Because in this game you’re playing as V, a cyberpunk, and as a mercenary you will get different jobs … I can’t get into spoilers, but like in the demo certain jobs open the door for V to pursue a career as a cyberpunk further.

FANDOM: Night City is a pretty sprawling metropolis. What kind of visual and gameplay variety can players expect to find in different areas of the city?

Pietra: What I can tell you is that Night City has districts, and each district is different. The one you mostly saw in the demo is Watson, and Watson is a place where there are mega buildings, those self-sustainable ecosystems, which have gyms and shops and weaponsmiths and gun ranges [built in]. If you get to the bottom, there are vendors everywhere, it’s a centre of commerce.

On the other hand, you have places like Pacifica. Pacifica is a district that is overrun by psychogangs and those gangs are ruling that territory so it’s extremely dangerous to go there — police surveillance doesn’t really work there. You will be visiting all those places in between. Rich districts, average places, but they will vary greatly in terms of architecture, environment, and even social standing.

When it comes to gameplay mechanics [in each district] … all I can tell you is that we’re not using any procedural elements. We truly believe that in order to achieve a high-quality gameplay action and reactions you have to do everything hand-crafted so there won’t be any procedural elements.

If you meet a group somewhere, you’re probably meeting them for a reason because you took the wrong turn in the wrong turf and you’re going to pay a price for that because that was your choice to take that turn. This is more or less the design process, how we’re aiming to create that living, breathing version of Night City.

FANDOM: Will you be able to buy apartments in different districts of Night City?

Pietra: Absolutely. You will be able to buy a couple of apartments in different locations, so obviously upgrading yourself will push you towards a certain path in the game but saying any more would be too spoilery right now.

FANDOM: The Witcher series was obviously all played from a third-person perspective. You’ve mentioned it a bit briefly already, but what made you decide to switch to first-person for Cyberpunk 2077?

Pietra: It comes down to immersion. The first-person perspective makes it much more immersive than the third-person camera. In first person, you can see all the details of the world — you can watch [your character’s] hand movement, see what kind of cyberwear you have, peak underneath tables, and look up and see the mega buildings reaching into the sky.

All that combined with the interactive scene system was simply the best way to create a truly immersive world.

FANDOM: Cyberpunk 2077 looks visually stunning, but also like it might struggle to run on the current generation of consoles. Many have speculated that it will be a cross-generational release. Can you confirm what platforms it will come to?

Pietra: We are currently developing the game for PC, Xbox One and PS4 and we have been working on the optimisation process right from the start. We take the optimisation very much into consideration with everything we do, but the game we’ve developed will be released on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

EDIT: And another one (not the interview above) - https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/22/cy...mance-controversial-decision-go-first-person/

Last edited:

Some quotes from the magazine, posted by someone on Reddit:
  • "What we’ve seen of Cyberpunk 2077 so far suggests a sandbox city that easily outstrips the detail and quality of GTA V;"​
  • the studio refuses to use procedural elements in any of Cyberpunk 2077’s environment or quests. This time it’s not just talk – everything really is hand-crafted.​
  • “So Pacifica, it’s this super-dangerous territory where you’ve got people who are basically gangsters, and the Psychogangs rule this district. So violence is more predominant there. But you’ve also got these superrich districts like Heybrook, and we vary animations in a way that are connected to the districts.”​
  • Any stories, characters or themes that aren’t explored in depth in the main story are taken to be fully fleshed out in sidequests​
  • “We want to make sure that all of them are up to the standards of the main quest – that there’s nothing that feels like filler, just something to do while waiting for the next quest, or to get more money to buy the next thing. We don’t really like to do that. We want to make sure that every quest feels like a complete story in and of itself.”​
  • ' V pulls out a katana – which vibrates uproariously as it deflects enemy bullets – then slides along the floor on his knees like a six year old at a wedding to lop off a Maelstrom goon’s legs, our fingers tingle in response. '​
  • Your chosen backstory unlocks specific sidequests from the off, while accumulated attribute points and biostats allow for a fluid class system​
  • There’s more choice to what we’ve just seen than is usually available in videogame quests: for instance, you could take DeShawn’s money and run at the very beginning, eschewing his mission but having to deal with the consequences later. You could make off with Stout’s eddies, too, although we presume you’d have to get the virus on the chip scrubbed off somewhere. “We don’t artificially limit ourselves,” Mills says. “Our philosophy for quest design is, ‘If the player can logically do it, then they can’. And if they can’t, then we have to come up with a damn good reason why.”​
  • "Right now our environment artists are populating a level with the assets, and they are not afraid of testing out new things. This is exactly what we need to stay open to, because personally I believe that The Witcher turned out that good – and why Cyberpunk will turn out really good – because we are not afraid of change.”​
  • Cyberpunk 2077’s quests have been designed to be kicked off at almost any point; you’ll be able to go to places and find items in Night City that are part of quests and pick up the trail of what’s going on here in a logical manner, without having to trigger the whole event sequence from a predetermined starting point.​
  • Cyberpunk 2020’s ‘cyberpsychosis’ mechanic, in which players who overly augment themselves with cyberware start to see a negative effect on their mental health, will form part of the game – though CD Projekt won’t go into details. As a quest designer, the Faustian bargain behind transhumanism is fascinating to Patrick Mills. “All the travails of the flesh fade away, and you become a perfect machine of chrome. But you had to buy those body parts from someone, and now you’re in debt to them; if you need parts, you’ve got to go to their store. You have this very utopian idea of being liberated by technology. And it’s like, not so fast – you haven’t solved the problems. The problems are still there, and technology actually makes them worse. ‘High tech, low life’ is one of Mike’s mottos.​

Edit: one of the quotes about quests has been expanded in the comments:
Cyberpunk 2077’s quests have been designed to be kicked off at almost any point; you’ll be able to go to places and find items in Night City that are part of quests and pick up the trail of what’s going on here in a logical manner, without having to trigger the whole event sequence from a predetermined starting point. “There’s no invisible wall that says, ‘You can’t go here,’” Mills says. “We don’t like to do, ‘This door is locked… until you need to use this door.’ It does mean that our quests can become incredibly complex. One of the things that we have at CD Projekt that is different from a lot of other studios, and I can’t speak for all of them, is that we have a dedicated quest team that is responsible for just that – just the logic of the quests, building the quests and making sure that everything is coordinated.” This commitment to the coherence of the world, and your place in it as V, is paramount to making Night City feel like a real place where you can take any opportunity you can imagine.

Last edited:
People are still expecting true role play from cinematic narratives? Interesting.

Hoping, more than expecting, in a lot of cases.

And "true role play" is very much in the eye of the roleplayer.

But that's a discussion for a different thread.

Hey guys...
Just to tell u : While in combat we wanna see blood spit out off bodies... not numbers.
So... for Christ sake and in the name of good old Cyberpunk players like me, remove "hit points" PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....

Incredible job by the way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom