Character creator idea

+
I can't even imagine a world in which that would be true this side of complete post-scarcity (which CP 2077 sure isn't). And given that the Cyberpunk 2077 is a dystopian setting based on the idea that rapid technological change has caused massive social & economic dislocation, I'm thinking fear, hate, envy & factionalism are what makes the world turn. This is very unlikely to be a world in which tolerance & manners are at the core of how things work.

That said, for anyone who completely embraces H+ (transhumanism), at a certain point the very concept of sex becomes moot as bodies just become meat motherboards into which you plug all the things that make you 'you'.
Specifically in a cyberpunk setting I could see a lot of the identity debates becoming non-issues, not because of tolerance/manners though, but actually because of the extreme corporate/consumerist/libertarian elements that make up the world.

Society has become apathetic to extreme poverty largely because it has fully bought into the belief that anyone can become anything they want if they can earn/take it, when fully embraced and encouraged by economic influences this extends beyond class/profession into identity itself. This is a world that has made everything into a commodity, especially identity. Fashion, implants, genetic modification, celebrity worship, etc, the idea that every part of you can be customized to your heart's content, for a price, benefits the economy/corporations/etc. As a result, individualization and personal liberty is now a requirement of the status quo rather than being disruptive to it.

Our world feels identity issues are contentious, not because of resource/class based concerns, but because we are still on the edge of caring about the pseudo-scientific basis of the early 1900's eugenics & fascism craze which established anything that disrupted a uniform national identity as "degenerate", primarily: race mixing, homosexuality, transexualism, transvestism, disability, disfigurement, or ethnic groups with a distinct culture held higher than the state's.

In Cyberpunk, the State has become nearly obsolete; the world's success now depends solely on the Market and capitalist actors. Fear/hate/envy/factionalism should very much still be a thing, but those frictions should be based on the things that society cares about like class, fame, resources, ambition vs laziness, success vs failure, choice of career/life path, etc, not some 200 year old beliefs which would work counter to the capitalistic interests.

I have a lesbian friend that felt really bothered by that, in a game....

So, your lesbian friend is already looking for "flaws" in a game that hasn't been released yet? In that old MMO I play from time to time, all those options exists that you're looking for. Any RPG worth it's money has all these options... Maybe keeping judgment after the game is released????

errrrr..what? :rolleyes:

He just states that he doesn't identify as Sonic the Hedgehog just because he plays that character in a game......

when has ANY game allowed you to adjust your height? seriously?

The only game I can remember having height adjustment is Dragons Dogma. It allowed different heights and gave you different length torsos, legs and arms to choose from. Definitely the most freedom in creating body types in any game I've ever played.

Top Bottom