What if I don’t want play for a punk?!

+
From what they said as one of the options, indeed we will. Plus it's implemented more intuitively than classic be good/evil classic rpg dilemma.

I'll bookmark that page, and will look forward how they will make the Story advance with V refusing to see Dexter Deshawn and to work with Jackie to save the girl.
Fact is I seriously doubt I'll get the choice.

Err...no. In fact, it's completely the opposite, for New Vegas and many older rpgs. Rigid, binary outcome when it comes to skill checks or narrative ( morality) is literally the trademark of the genre.
CDPR seems to take more after Immersive Sims, with gameplay mechanics and c&c implemented more organically, moment to moment decision making.

Just take a look at this one for example:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Beyond_the_Beef
Litterally anything you try affect how it goes and the outcome.

You're not going to get this in narrative driven games of this scale/complexity/production values, anytime soon. Same can be said for DAO which has only "one class"/style of gameplay: combat.

One again, I wasn't refering to combats, but to Roleplay, with the game acknowledging who you are.

You say that like if playing in the Cyberpunk universe = playing a mercenary.
Which it is not the case.

Yes, but it obviously is the case in the video game. It's just like any other p&p game turned video game. In any p&p game you can be anything and anybody you want and play any type of adventure you want. In a video game the developers are telling a specific story and we are limited to the confines of what they create for us . Anything in the p&p universe that is irrelevant to the story they want to tell won't be included in their video game. They could have made a game about news reporters, cops and vampires.. but they didn't.

Yes, but it obviously is the case in the video game. It's just like any other p&p game turned video game. In any p&p game you can be anything and anybody you want and play any type of adventure you want. In a video game the developers are telling a specific story and we are limited to the confines of what they create for us . Anything in the p&p universe that is irrelevant to the story they want to tell won't be included in their video game. They could have made a game about news reporters, cops and vampires.. but they didn't.

The point is there is ways to tell a story without restricting people outside of what is strictly necessary (to tell a story in a videogame you have to befine what happens to someone, not to define the character outside very specific aspects. Anything beyong that is just putting "artistic license" over roleplay).
You can make a character make quest without the money reward.

Choosing to force someone to be a mercenary is just playing it easy for the scenario writers, cause "She'll do it for the money. It's her job afterall."

The point is there is ways to tell a story without restricting people outside of what is strictly necessary (to tell a story in a videogame you have to befine what happens to someone, not to define the character outside very specific aspects. Anything beyong that is just putting "artistic license" over roleplay).
You can make a character make quest without the money reward.

Choosing to force someone to be a mercenary is just playing it easy for the scenario writers, cause "She'll do it for the money. It's her job afterall."
I think you are expecting way too much. I Can't think of one game that allows you to be anything outside of the story the story tellers want to tell. CDPR are heavy into story telling. To write a story that's compelling and enjoyable takes a lot of work. To then take that story and recreate it as a video game takes a greater amount of work. You can guarantee that there will be moral choices and non-violent paths through some of the missions (they've already stated as much.) But what you seem to be wanting is a game that is somehow created by the people playing the game as they are playing it.. That technology doesn't exist yet.

I'll bookmark that page, and will look forward how they will make the Story advance with V refusing to see Dexter Deshawn and to work with Jackie to save the girl.

Feel free.

Just take a look at this one for example:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Beyond_the_Beef
Litterally anything you try affect how it goes and the outcome.

You've literally pulled out the most complex quest in the game and using it as "standard": it's called cherry picking. Fact is majority of quests had no complex implementation of rpg mechanics in the world or gameplay, with very simple/straightforward scripting...hell, even skills like repair or medicine were used, most of the time, as another version of persuasion dialogue.

Now what do I expect here, from what we've seen, without these silly hyperboles or flat out lying. Compared to Deus Ex, likely less stealth routes, probably less open/complex level design and less puzzle solving through interacting with objects and physics. Compared to New Vegas, less skill checks and non combat options. But much more of the former than New Vegas ever had, more skill options than Deus Ex had, more narrative choices and production values/quest writing and cinematic/dramatic direction than both combined.
This is still phenomenal achievement ( if demo is any indication), even if it does not outdo other games at all aspects of quest design.
If you want to ignore all of this, then there is no point of explaining this.

I think you are expecting way too much. I Can't think of one game that allows you to be anything outside of the story the story tellers want to tell. CDPR are heavy into story telling. To write a story that's compelling and enjoyable takes a lot of work. To then take that story and recreate it as a video game takes a greater amount of work. You can guarantee that there will be moral choices and non-violent paths through some of the missions (they've already stated as much.) But what you seem to be wanting is a game that is somehow created by the people playing the game as they are playing it.. That technology doesn't exist yet.

You're thinking about way too complicated things.
I just wish that anything about V outside of necessity to be chosen by the player.
And I emphasis on necessity.
I'll take an example: Some people don't like V drinking alcool. Is that a necessity for the Story?
Can't the story be told without her drinking alcool?
If that's the case, then the choice should be the player's.

And I'm about 70% sure that with creativity the Story could be told for most (and I say most as yes some like Corporate would be a bit more tricky) Roles without major changes.

You're thinking about way too complicated things.
I just wish that anything about V outside of necessity to be chosen by the player.
And I emphasis on necessity.
I'll take an example: Some people don't like V drinking alcool. Is that a necessity for the Story?
Can't the story be told without her drinking alcool?
If that's the case, then the choice should be the player's.

And I'm about 70% sure that with creativity the Story could be told for most (and I say most as yes some like Corporate would be a bit more tricky) Roles without major changes.

Well we don't know for certain that you'll be stuck in a mercenary role for the entire game. The character creation screen shows that you choose between three childhood heroes. These most likely will have an influence on who your character ultimately turns out to be. And I'm not sure where people are getting that the character is an alcoholic. Before the character returns to her apartment, Jackie asks V what she's going to do with her money and then states that she'll probably blow it all on booze.. V then replies that she's clean. Quote: "Talkin' about someone else Jack, I'm cleaner than a c**nt at a convent." Now in the apartment we do see her shake an empty bottle. So either there's a choice in there somewhere to fall off the wagon or something else happens.. there's obviously a jump in the timeline between those two segments. . At any rate, there's a whole bunch of stuff that we aren't aware of yet and everyone is making weird assumptions based on rumors. There's no reason to grouse or panic until we know way more details.

You've literally pulled out the most complex quest in the game and using it as "standard": it's called cherry picking.

I would not rule out the possibility of a pre-release demo made for the purpose of selling a game doing the same, though. :) And since we only saw one playthrough of a single quest, we cannot know for sure which dialogue choices really matter, and how much they affect the rest of the game. In TW3, it is not uncommon that it looks like you are making an important decision yet it does not actually make a difference once you try all the options, and multiple paths in a quest can still fold back into the same narrative later. Not to mention we have seen WIP content that is still subject to cuts or changes. For those reasons, I would rather wait for the release before making these kinds of comparisons to other games.

Well we don't know for certain that you'll be stuck in a mercenary role for the entire game. The character creation screen shows that you choose between three childhood heroes. These most likely will have an influence on who your character ultimately turns out to be.

Actually my bet is just on a quest with your idol appearing, and that's about it, because it's the easiest thing to do.

And I'm not sure where people are getting that the character is an alcoholic. Before the character returns to her apartment, Jackie asks V what she's going to do with her money and then states that she'll probably blow it all on booze.. V then replies that she's clean. Quote: "Talkin' about someone else Jack, I'm cleaner than a c**nt at a convent." Now in the apartment we do see her shake an empty bottle. So either there's a choice in there somewhere to fall off the wagon or something else happens.. there's obviously a jump in the timeline between those two segments. . At any rate, there's a whole bunch of stuff that we aren't aware of yet and everyone is making weird assumptions based on rumors. There's no reason to grouse or panic until we know way more details.

No need for V to be alcoholic. For some people even V drinking alcohol without their consent can be annoying if that's their thing, like the same for most to see their avatar with a sexuality type they don't want.

what if I don’t want to play for a punk?

That's just too bad. CDPR's story is probably going to be (based on the demo and interviews surrounding it) so hard scripted you can not not play strictly the chararacter they want you to play. That's a downer for you an me both.

Last edited:
That's just too bad. CDPR's story is so hard scripted you can not not play strictly the chararacter they want you to play. That's a downer for you an me both.

Yeah, that's not too accurate.

We don't know how strictly the character you play is locked in.

We don't know if things will change a lot a little or not at all by release.

Fairly non-constructive statement.

Only time will tell, but I hope there is room for sufficient deviation.

And if that isn't possible due to hard set content or dev goals perhaps we can get a different type of character in DLCs or a second game.

I still hope to be able a cop or corpo (more or less) even if it's an overall punky dialogue style or character.

Corporates were a part of 2013 and 2020, characters would play 'from the inside' of corporations.

And one of the three 'childhood hero' options presented in the gameplay was Saburo Arasaka, so I would think there will be the possibility to play as a character who is more refined and less street.

Who knows, maybe a DLC will come out where you play as actual corporates?

Corporates were a part of 2013 and 2020, characters would play 'from the inside' of corporations.

And one of the three 'childhood hero' options presented in the gameplay was Saburo Arasaka, so I would think there will be the possibility to play as a character who is more refined and less street.

Who knows, maybe a DLC will come out where you play as actual corporates?
Based on the mission options we saw in the demo and the Arasaka option you mention, I would be really surprised if the base game doesn't explore pro-corporate options for V.

My bet is just on a side mission, as it's the easiest things to do.
I could see that, but I feel the Militech contact went into the philosophy of corporate work on completion at a level that I think suggests something more significant. While I think narratively it suggests more than a side quest I could easily see it just being that instead of a main branch.

Fairly non-constructive statement.

Perhaps.

We don't know how strictly the character you play is locked in.

We've been given a good idea on the characters personality, demeanor and purpose.

I don't know. What I've been hearing so far is that V does have pretty strong character to him/her even if there is some leeway on how to tackle certain situations, if you add that up with how "strong" and "defined" the storytelling aspect is going to be... well, I don't know how much leeway there is for actually different characters beyond "black", "white", "grey" V.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe there's a boatload of different characteristics to express inspite only having four roles (tech, solo, netrunner, mixture) and a voiceacted protagonist.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe there's a boatload of different characteristics to express inspite only having four roles (tech, solo, netrunner, mixture) and a voiceacted protagonist.

You are lacking in accuracy because everything is still very much being determined.

Statements like yours are the -reason- CDPR never wanted to show the demo. People see and say "Hey, this is what we have so this is what it's going to be," and then make super-strong statements about the game.

Whether you turn out to be right or wrong, at this point, you are making a statement, "CDPR's story is so hard scripted you can not not play strictly the chararacter they want you to play. " that is utterly lacking in factual basis.

The facts are, we don't know how hard scripted the story will be in a year or two. We do not. CDPR does not.

Top Bottom