Contextual Animations for V

+
Previously I created a thread regarding a petition to include a wider range of hand animations for V when interacting with the world, but something else hit me that could greatly impact the realism and believability of V: CONTEXTUAL ANIMATIONS.

Imagine when approaching a railing in FPP instead of seeing the camera stand right in front of it like a regular and conventional first-person game, what if V placed her hands on it. I mean, like context animations which is something we've never witnessed before in a FPP. I believe this will exponentially make V more alive and stand out more than any other character we've seen in a game where you're the character.

I want to be V; feel V; see V as much as possible. I'm fine with the perspective but since CDPR wants to create a very different and unique world as we engross ourselves into the character, what's better than to see her lean on a counter at a bar; grab and hold onto a railing as she looks down and then lets go as we pull away, etc.

I was watching the gameplay demo again (fourth time) and I see V looking over a yellow railing after getting out of Jackie's sports car to peer down below and view the corporate folks she arranged to have a meeting with. My imagination kind of ran wild and hit me - what if there were FPP contextual animations to signify V is aware of her surroundings which pushes the immersion factor (which CDPR is on record for wanting to strive for). I know the studio wants to create an immersive experience (as we control the character of V) which is why the studio decided to go this route with the game; hopefully it's something they will factor into the development process.

Again, remember - the folks at the studio are still deep in development which means a myriad of elements can be implemented, added, subtracted or edited altogether.

Last edited:
that would be cool or if you press forward and there is like railing your character well lean on it. that would be bad ass. they could have mechanic where instead of V constantly walking into a wall; playing the same old walk and run cycle over and over the character depending on the situation will actually lean against the wall (with variations , like back lean, side lean ect. If your injured your character will reach out and lean against the wall for support as you walk down that dingy hallway leaving that trail of blood on the wall. (but from what I have seen from the game I doubt they will need to use this) lean over a railing or ledge resting on hands or elbows. you can if ordered by cops press against a wall. or if its a narrow ledge you can press against the wall and shimmy by. and if in combat you can take cover. but it needs to be as you say context sensitive. it would even be cool as you walk down the a hallway not in combat on the rare occasion V will reach out to touch the wall as some people like to do, run there finger along the surface as they casually walk by either squeeze by or interact with it. . going down a flight of stairs and there is a hand railing have V reach out and use the railing. to be honest i have never seen it done before and it would be a refreshing change. nothing breaks immersion than watching your character run in place against a wall ... and at that moment it takes you out of the story and your like "yup this is a video game." but still it would be cool to see that in FPS

Then there are the occasions where you find your self in an intense situation where your trying to run away and you don't want your character too post up against a wall and it then becomes the feature that got you killed. If V is running and she runs into a wall have her brace against the wall with out losing the momentum as she pushes her self of the wall have animations like the out of control run where your running into walls and almost tripping . like is said it all needs too be context sensitive.

Last edited:

G30M1

Forum regular
nothing breaks immersion than watching your character run in place against a wall ... and at that moment it takes you out of the story and your like "yup this is a video game." but still it would be cool to see that in FPS

You could just make your character run somewhere that isn't into a wall? Real life people don't run into walls... haha

I agree that having V use her hands to pick up things, press buttons etc. would be great. Those are activated abilities that you're going to be doing anyways. If there was the option for V to just... touch things because. I don't think many people would use it. I think they would just run down the stairs instead of taking the time to press extra buttons to touch the handrail.

I do think that certain things like cops asking you to go against a wall, or using a wall for support if injured is cool. However, I think that is when they would use a cut scene approach to the situation.

You could just make your character run somewhere that isn't into a wall? Real life people don't run into walls... haha

I agree that having V use her hands to pick up things, press buttons etc. would be great. Those are activated abilities that you're going to be doing anyways. If there was the option for V to just... touch things because. I don't think many people would use it. I think they would just run down the stairs instead of taking the time to press extra buttons to touch the handrail.

I do think that certain things like cops asking you to go against a wall, or using a wall for support if injured is cool. However, I think that is when they would use a cut scene approach to the situation.

Nobody is talking about PRESSING buttons for her contextual animations, those animations are to be DYNAMIC, there would be a certain threshold that you'd have to get in to TRIGGER the animation, no button pressing.

. I don't think many people would use it. I think they would just run down the stairs instead of taking the time to press extra buttons to touch the handrail.

lols im talking about contextual animations. lols too push a button too touch a hand rail would be asinine. LOLS
Post automatically merged:

and for the record im not litterally talking about running into walls .. im talking about the character and the animations actually interacting with the walls the way people usually interact with walls as they do in real life. its just that extra level of immersion that I have never seen done in a video game. EVER!

Last edited:
lols im talking about contextual animations. lols too push a button too touch a hand rail would be asinine. LOLS

and for the record im not litterally talking about running into walls .. im talking about the character and the animations actually interacting with the walls the way people usually interact with walls as they do in real life. its just that extra level of immersion that I have never seen done in a video game. EVER!

You can see it done in third-person games, but i'm not sure I've seen it done in first-person...

Ive never seen this in a game but I bet it couod be done.

My concern would be misalignment. Like say V reaches his hand out to put on a railings, but the player is at a slight angle or a little bit further back.

Would V's hand go through the rail or just miss grabbing it entirely? I think that would be a little immersion breaking.

If CDPR can avoid, I say go for it.

Fallout 3 & 4 had interesting idle animations but then you are actually looking at your toon the whole time. In a 1st person game like CP2077, does it actually matter? This is really just a shooter-with-dialogue.

Fallout 3 & 4 had interesting idle animations but then you are actually looking at your toon the whole time. In a 1st person game like CP2077, does it actually matter? This is really just a shooter-with-dialogue.
Not really from what cdpr said, but from what we've seen, i agree (but we dont know shit about the depth in the game). Imo the demo was a proof of concept or some shit

Kyle Rowley said this on twitter some time ago : ''We don't have interactions on all game objects. Just significant ones. ''

Last edited:
Not really from what cdpr said, but from what we've seen, i agree (but we dont know shit about the depth in the game). Imo the demo was a proof of concept or some shit

Kyle Rowley said this on twitter some time ago : ''We don't have interactions on all game objects. Just significant ones. ''

Well that's a misstep imo, no offense to Kyle Rowley but how are you going to purport your game to be immersive and interactive but then selectively choose what is and what's not. I understand game development is difficult especially when you have a limited staff but this is their decision to go this route with the FPP so at the very least I'm hoping they will add as many animations to V as possible that goes beyond combat-related and vaulting over objects.

I actually would like to see V interact with the world, since we can't see her any other way (except in rare and sporadic moments, i.e., cinematics, menu -- which at that point you're taken out of the experience -- mirrors [possibly] and reflections. If they can squeeze as many animations into V as they can before release, I think that will make the press and fans very happy.

I can see a few problems with this...

"Okay, I need to walk up and pull out my sniper ri- WHY ARE YOU LEANING ON THE RAILING? Ohshitohshitohshit I was spotted here comes a fuckton of bullets oh holy fuck! Welp, I'm dead. Time to load my last save."

Which is usually why we have to press a button to do it. Like, lean on the railing, sit in a chair, shoot up enough heroin to make poppies extinct, get a soda from a machine, activate the bathapult to throw out both baby and bathwater, dance... All of those things that could seriously screw you up if done at the wrong time.

I can see a few problems with this...

"Okay, I need to walk up and pull out my sniper ri- WHY ARE YOU LEANING ON THE RAILING? Ohshitohshitohshit I was spotted here comes a fuckton of bullets oh holy fuck! Welp, I'm dead. Time to load my last save."

Which is usually why we have to press a button to do it. Like, lean on the railing, sit in a chair, shoot up enough heroin to make poppies extinct, get a soda from a machine, activate the bathapult to throw out both baby and bathwater, dance... All of those things that could seriously screw you up if done at the wrong time.

OOOOOooor instead just trigger these animations only when you have your gun put away. If you have taken your gun out, you don't trigger these contextual dynamic animations. - problem solved

OOOOOooor instead just trigger these animations only when you have your gun put away. If you have taken your gun out, you don't trigger these contextual dynamic animations. - problem solved

The example I posted has the gun not out and they need to draw it out when they trigger the contextual action.

I like the idea. I think there was a mod like that for Skyrim that activated 1st person animation whenever you interacted with levers, buttons, pick up flowers and such. The problem is if the animation is too long it can get tiring fast as past a certain game time, you just want stuff to be done quickly. But all the leaning idea would be super cool indeed

Which solves the problem of the animation happening while someone is getting in place to pull out the gun how?

Because in the real world when you press a button on the elevator while people are shooting you... you shoot them and see magically the button press by himself?...

It is in details like this that you see if a game has depth or not.

Because in the real world when you press a button on the elevator while people are shooting you... you shoot them and see magically the button press by himself?...

It is in details like this that you see if a game has depth or not.

This is cyberpunk. If the controls have wireless communication (and they probably do), you can simply use your implanted communications cyberware to trigger the button without even stepping close to the door. And, likely, normal passengers do it every day.

"Depth" and "animate every single thing exactly like real life" are not the same thing.

This is cyberpunk. If the controls have wireless communication (and they probably do), you can simply use your implanted communications cyberware to trigger the button without even stepping close to the door. And, likely, normal passengers do it every day.

"Depth" and "animate every single thing exactly like real life" are not the same thing.

Yes and if my grandmother had wheels probably she would be a bike!.

Are you people capable to think something that is outside the first person shooter smoothnes for once? Cyberpunk is not all about combat you know? In the real cyberpunk you approach to the situation carefully if you have to risk your risk it all is not flashy Micheal bay fancyness.

This is supposed to be a RPG we are supposed to get immersed in this world and i really doubt vacum cleaner hand sucking bullets from the ground and mind power pressing buttons for you are immersive at all.. no in fact is just lazy design.

Well that's a misstep imo, no offense to Kyle Rowley but how are you going to purport your game to be immersive and interactive but then selectively choose what is and what's not. I understand game development is difficult especially when you have a limited staff but this is their decision to go this route with the FPP so at the very least I'm hoping they will add as many animations to V as possible that goes beyond combat-related and vaulting over objects.

I actually would like to see V interact with the world, since we can't see her any other way (except in rare and sporadic moments, i.e., cinematics, menu -- which at that point you're taken out of the experience -- mirrors [possibly] and reflections. If they can squeeze as many animations into V as they can before release, I think that will make the press and fans very happy.

Eh.. that sadly already happened but i honestly hope they will listen this suggestion because is great.

Last edited:
Yes and if my grandmother had wheels probably she would be a bike!.

Are you people capable to think something that is outside the first person shooter smoothnes for once? Cyberpunk is not all about combat you know? In the real cyberpunk you approach to the situation carefully if you have to risk your risk it all is not flashy Micheal bay fancyness.

This is supposed to be a RPG we are supposed to get immersed in this world and i really doubt vacum cleaner hand sucking bullets from the ground and mind power pressing buttons for you are immersive at all.. no in fact is just lazy design.

"Immersed in the world" does not mean "the world is exactly like our's." CP2077 is set in a world where technology has advanced, where people are often part machine, and where corporations rule. Technology for them is even more intrusive than it is for us, just like it is more intrusive for us than it was for our great-grandparents.

You are set to have something exactly like real life, while ignoring that the world in question is not the world we know and that it may involve people doing things we simply cannot. Which, in turn, means dealing with technology operating in ways it does not in real life because it was designed for this greater intrusion, much like how technology now doesn't operate like it did back in the 1430s.

Also, between the pair of us, which one is it that is capable of adapting their thinking to take into consideration that your elevator example may be irrelevant simply because technological advancement has made it so? That was why I used a railing example originally; it's very, very unlikely to change even in this particular setting.

Also, the other problem with your elevator idea: It's a directed animation. Sure, your character is playing the animation of pushing the button... and while it's playing, the people who are shooting at you have tossed a grenade through the door. Oh, yes, you get a bit of button pushing... and then you're reloading a save because you died. That's why they don't do it; it's an anti-frustration measure that comes from the fact computer technology is a lot more limited than people think it is. Maybe in a VR version of the game what you want can come about, but not in the ones you'll see on a standard desktop.

Also, as much as you don't like it, RPGs feature combat. This one has already been shown to feature FPS-style gun mechanics. Those mechanics have to be designed around, and that does mean some "immersive" features have to be sacrificed because reloading fifteen thousand times due to death is far more immersion breaking than not seeing some animation of your character pushing a button.

Top Bottom