PS4 Controller Button Prompts in Witcher 3

+
Can anyone get the PS4 controller button prompts working with Witcher 3 when using the controller wirelessly?

If I plug the controller into the USB and into the PC the prompts will appear.

However if I try to use the controller wirelssly through a PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor For PC The steam or Xbox button prompts will appear.

I've currently got Steam recognizing the PS4 controller and have PS4 controller support enabled in steam (which is detected and works perfectly)

I'm not using any other 3rd party software to emulate a xbox controller.

I've read heaps of differnt forums and tried the following:

1.) Turning off PS4 controller support in steam (If I turn this off, the controller wont work)
2.) Turning off PS4 controller support in steam and using InputMapper (controller works, but still get xbox controller prompts)
3.) Turning off PS4 controller support in steam and using DS4Windows (controller works, but still get xbox controller prompts)
4.) Using mod from nexusmods PS4 Mod even tried editing the line 64 as suggested in the forums, I still get xbox control prompts unless plugged in via usb.
5.) Running witcher 3 outside of steam. (controller wont work unless I use either inputmapper or DS4Winows, and when I use them I still get xbox promtps)
6.) Editing inputmanager.ini to make the game think that xbox, keyboard, steam controllers are PS4 controllers... still didnt get the prompts.
7.) Uninstalling and reinstalling Witcher 3.
8.) Deleting xinput1_3.dll from steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\bin\x64.

And then tried all those things with every differnt type of controller support in steam enabled or disabled to get every possible combination.

Everything has failed and I'm about to throw the controller at the wall.

Can anyone help or offer a suggestion on how to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.

I played it with PS4 controller on PC but never wireless.

You can send a ticket to CDPR support:
https://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

I wouldn‘t expect a patch anytime soon. But if it‘s really an issue it might be a useful feedback for future games.

Unfortunately, I can‘t think of much you can do. May try out different USB ports.
Best thing at this point might be to play it with cable which should work fine on PC.

To force the game to use PS4 prompts when playing with the controller connected per bluetooth you need to change the "inputmanager.ws" script and run the game with the "-forcescriptcompilation" parameter.

Open "Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\content\content0\scripts\game\inputManager.ws" and change line 55

case 'xpad':
return IDT_Xbox1;

to
case 'xpad':
return IDT_PS4;

If the "-forcescriptcompilation" is active, when you start the game the following window will pop up:
loading.PNG

Last edited:
You may also want to check that you're not using that "Unifed Steam Controller Scheme"...or whatever it was called. It's an overlay through Steam itself that can interfere with games. I remember that causing some headaches in the past.

Thanks for the assistance, but unfortunately this didn't work either :(
Post automatically merged:

I got a response from Support... their first response was:

"Hey,
Thank you for reaching us out.
Only Xbox gamepad for Windows is only supported controller by The Witcher 3.
Please note that Sony has yet to release official DualShock 4 drivers for Windows thus this controller is not officially supported by Windows.
Only available drivers are ones made by fans. Even Windows recognizes it as the Xbox controller not as a Sony DualShock 4 controller."

After I pointed out to them that even their release notes say that since patch 1.30 they support PS4 controllers and that windows does have drivers for PS4 controllers and recognises a PS4 controller as a PS4 controller with screen shots... they changed their response too:

"Hey,
Thank you for the reply.
I apologize for that, that's the information I found in our knowledge base article, it seems that it is outdated.
Regarding using the controller wirelessly.
Controllers were tested only in wired mode, therefore there might be issues when using them wirelessly. Thank you for your report.
I apologize for the inconvenience caused."

After asking them why they wouldn't test a controller that's designed to be used wirelessly, wirelessly and if there are any intentions of fixing the issue I got this response:

"Hey,
Thank you for the reply.
Currently I am not aware of any plans on update regarding this issue."

So yeah, it seems "so sad, too bad" we can't be bothered getting it right.... although that being said they didn't even know they supported it in the first place so I'm not certain how accurate this response is either.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can understand how that must be disappointing for you.

Have you been using any other mods? That‘s also something that can interfere with the controls.

I use DS4Windows https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows as wrapper and the GOG Version of the game with the PS4 controller connected to a bluetooth dongle.

Have you tried doing the changes to inputManager.ws while using DS4Windows instead of the steam wrapper ?

You could also try to replace the IDT_Steam or IDT_Unknown entries with IDT_PS4. Just remember to always start the game with -forcescriptcompilation parameter or the changes will not apply.

If it works while plugged in, then that's probably what you'll need to do to get the PS4 prompts, unless you want to use a mod or 3rd-party system to force the correct prompts.

The problem is that Windows seems to interface fine with the device via USB, but when the device needs to communicate through a wireless modem / receiver on your motherboard or a dongle, it can't seem to detect it as a DualShock device and simply routes it directly through Windows UPnP, which is in turn recognized as an "Xbox" controller. That's more or less on Sony and their decision to make most of their hardware proprietary.

Easiest solution to this would be to use a mod like this one:
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1657/?tab=posts

This should be so lightweight and direct that you should have no issues, but it's always best to backup your saved games before adding a mod.

Post automatically merged:

To force the game to use PS4 prompts when playing with the controller connected per bluetooth you need to change the "inputmanager.ws" script and run the game with the "-forcescriptcompilation" parameter.

Open "Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\content\content0\scripts\game\inputManager.ws" and change line 55

case 'xpad':
return IDT_Xbox1;

to
case 'xpad':
return IDT_PS4;

If the "-forcescriptcompilation" is active, when you start the game the following window will pop up:
View attachment 10978034

After I re-installed witcher 3 and tried your solution it worked :)
FINALLY HAVE PS4 PROMPTS USING BLUETOOTH!!!!

Although that being said, if I run the game from the original witcher 3 link in steam, it wont show the prompts... even if I add the -forcescriptcompilation to the launch options.

However if I:
1.) Add the witcher3.exe as a "non steam game"
2.) Add the -forcescriptcompilation to the launch options,
3.) in steam controller options have Playstation controller support ticked and nothing else
4.) in the added steam game "witcher3.exe" controller application options have: Allow desktop configuration in launcher set.
5.) in the added steam game "witcher3.exe" controller application options have: Use steam configuration for non-steam controllers set to global setting (PS)

I can get the controller prompts working in steam and use in home streaming :)
(Without the need DS4W or inputmapper to be running)

Shame it means that I wont get any of the "awards" or whatever they are that steam gives you for wasting your life playing games.

Last edited:
The problem is that Windows seems to interface fine with the device via USB, but when the device needs to communicate through a wireless modem / receiver on your motherboard or a dongle, it can't seem to detect it as a DualShock device and simply routes it directly through Windows UPnP, which is in turn recognized as an "Xbox" controller. That's more or less on Sony and their decision to make most of their hardware proprietary

I'm not sure why everyone keeps stating that the PS4 controller is seen as an xbox controller, my windows devices clearly identifies it as a DUALSHOCK 4 USB Wireless Adaptor, not an Xbox controller.

Dual Shock.jpg

I'm not sure why everyone keeps stating that the PS4 controller is seen as an xbox controller, my windows devices clearly identifies it as a DUALSHOCK 4 USB Wireless Adaptor, not an Xbox controller.

It may work for you, but that doesn't invalidate the issues that other people are seeing. Computers don't all work the same way. Take two identical PCs off the shelf from the same store on the same day, give them to two different users, and in 6 months, I'll show you 2 completely different system configs.

I found a fix.

Just turn off PS4 controller support in steam big picture mode, and it'll work because the witcher has built in DS4 drivers, but Steam automatically assigns it as an xbox controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

case 'xpad':
return IDT_Xbox1;

to
case 'xpad':
return IDT_PS4;

View attachment 10978034

I'm using a similar method but what I've done is swap the PS4 and Xbox identifiers

enum EInputDeviceType
{
IDT_Xbox1 = 0,
IDT_PS4 = 1,
IDT_Steam = 2,
IDT_KeyboardMouse = 3,
IDT_Tablet = 4,
IDT_Unknown = 5
}

to

enum EInputDeviceType
{
IDT_Xbox1 = 1,
IDT_PS4 = 0,
IDT_Steam = 2,
IDT_KeyboardMouse = 3,
IDT_Tablet = 4,
IDT_Unknown = 5
}

which seemed to work as well.

You know why can't they do what Ubi soft does with their games that give's you an option for prompt's; if the game still gets updates then add this please.

case 'xpad':
return IDT_Xbox1;

to
case 'xpad':
return IDT_PS4;

View attachment 10978034
Replace the 'xpad' with 'ps4pad' and it should work. It did for me.

I tried everything but wait doesn't CD Projekt have to make the icons and put them in a folder so what if we could find the folders that have the icon's and swap the other one's with the PlayStation one's or something and at this point I'm desperate.

I tried everything but wait doesn't CD Projekt have to make the icons and put them in a folder so what if we could find the folders that have the icon's and swap the other one's with the PlayStation one's or something and at this point I'm desperate.

If the mod I link to above does not work, then something else is likely hooking the function. I recommend disabling any overlays you may be using (Steam, Origin, etc.) and re-installing the mod.

But the game has the button prompt already included, even the light bar changes it's color to represent your current character status.

If you run the game executable outside of Steam you can see what I mean, but if you run the game through Steam, all those features are lost or inexistent.

-forcescriptcompilation

Side note, if you are using lots of script mods in the game, this parameter might break your save. Basically if you load a save right after a script compilation finishes you might see your materials appear as -1. It is not really recommended to play the game right after script compilation finishes as it might ruin your playthrough. Just be wary of your inventory and see if anything weird happens.

I found a fix.

Just turn off PS4 controller support in steam big picture mode, and it'll work because the witcher has built in DS4 drivers, but Steam automatically assigns it as an xbox controller.

Steam big picture was a mistake

Top Bottom