Shouldn't AS write a new book?

+

Guest 3847602

I'm not sure I understand the issue... Why shouldn't he write the new books (and make money from them)? :confused:

sv3672

Forum veteran
I would guess it will be settled with some relatively smallish (< 1 million $, but more than the original deal) sum of money paid. I think CDPR could win, but they also do not want to look greedy.

I'm not sure I understand the issue... Why shouldn't he write the new books (and make money from them)? :confused:

Oh sorry my english is not so good.
I mean: I think Sapkowski should write new books and earn money from the new books. This way always was opened for him. He could ride the fame of the games. I don't know the background of the demand linked above, but this sounds strange! If he sold the rights of the games, what he expect from this?

Guest 3847602

Oh sorry my english is not so good.
I mean: I think Sapkowski should write new books and earn money from the new books. This way always was opened for him
No problem and yeah, I agree, he should definitely stick with writing books.
I don't know the background of the demand linked above, but this sounds strange! If he sold the rights of the games, what he expect from this?
From what I've gathered, his demand seems to be backed by Polish law (there is something like a second chance for the author who received disproportionately small amount of money from the deal he made). Plus, according to Sapko and his lawyer, contract he signed with CDPR could be interpreted as being valid only for one game - TW1. No idea if it's true or not.
So, it's a grey area, he probably have the legal rights to ask for more money (although 60,000,000.00 PLN is completely ridiculous).

lelxrv

Forum veteran
CDPR is the last company I would associate with the word "greedy". Still, this whole thing just looks bad. Such a dirty move. Sapkowski paints it as some sort of scam. I didn't know, I didn't expect, they damaged my books...

Otherwise AS's story is a strange one. He sold the rights for a single price not for share/percentage. After The Witcher games become so popular it's obvious it was a bad decision, but so is life. You must live with your decisions! I don't want to judge him, because I don't know what would I do in his place, but it would be much wiser to write books and stay as close to CDPR ("close to the fire" as we say here) as possible! I think despite he sold the rights, CDPR would have been glad if AS participate as a "story writer" or something like that. But that is past and this step rather increase the gap between AS and CDPR. Sad...

The world what he created is so rich, I can't belive he can't write something good. He demonstrated he still can with 'Season of Storms', but was it the end?

Guest 3847602

Otherwise AS's story is a strange one. He sold the rights for a single price not for share/percentage. After The Witcher games become so popular it's obvious it was a bad decision, but so is life. You must live with your decisions! I don't want to judge him, because I don't know what would I do in his place, but it would be much wiser to write books and stay as close to CDPR ("close to the fire" as we say here) as possible!

Agreed of course, the way I see it, CDPR gambled and won big time, Sapko surely got the short end of the stick, but like you said - that's life. CDPR fulfilled their end of the bargain, so I don't think they "owe" him anything beyond that. It's just that Polish law might disagree with me on that...
As for collaboration, I don't think it would turn out good, books and games are completely different mediums with different demands, story (and writing in general) that's good for one is not necessarily good for the other.

The author of The Witcher book series is demanding 60 million Polish Zloty (roughly $16 million USD) in royalties from game developer CD Projekt. A statement posted by CD Projekt overnight shows that Andrzej Sapkowski, who published eight Witcher novels between 1992 and 2013, “expects payment of additional royalties between himself” and the developer of the acclaimed Witcher trilogy.

CD Projekt says that on October 1, it “received an official demand for payment filed by plenipotentiaries of Mr Andrzej Sapkowski.” The author expects royalties in addition to the deal he made to sell the rights to his novel series to the developer in the early 2000s.

An English translation of a letter from Sapkowski’s lawyers claims that “the compensation remitted to the author is too low given the benefits obtained in association with the use of that author’s work.” Assuming a typical royalty rate of “approximately 5-15% of the profits generated”, Sapkowski’s lawyers are asking for 6% “of the profits obtained” from CDPR’s use of The Witcher.

is there a source of this info somewhere? thanks

*EDIT* found it

It's not like Sapkowski didn't get anything out of this deal either. The new Netflix series coming, the old Hexer series, and the increase in the sales of his books all have helped him in the long run a lot, even if CDPR made more money

Probably the worst part is increasing chasm between Sapkowski and CDPR when it comes to The Witcher property. Look how productive the collaboration between Mike Pondsmith and the guys is. They're making sure CP77 will be the best it can be and at the same time faithful to the spirit of the source.

Whatever the outcome of this dispute, I hope we will see more Witcher games from CDPR. And Sapkowski could probably write more stories if he feels like it.

I'm writing this as I am ready to run out the door and I hate that I haven't had the time to collect my thoughts on this.
I just found out that ANdrzej Sapkowski (Author of the Witcher) is suing CDPR for $16 Million and Royalties.
He is not due this because he sold the copyright to CDPR for $4000.00 back in 2000 with little regards for the
company and even though they offered him a % of the profits he denied it and asked for the money up front.
He even went on to say that his books being translated to the western languages is what caused the popularity of the game.

I must say you A.S. have lost your mind. The Witcher video games are the only reason I even know your name and I'd have never
come across your books other wise. I'd venture to guess that this goes the same for the millions and millions of players that fell in love
with the Witcher over the years.

CDPR put in every once of love and dedication to this game that A.S has his books and it's unfortunate that his hubris and avarice can't see that
because of the video games his book's sales have soared. As of today I shall not be purchasing his witcher books nor will i watch the witcher show because of this man. Thanks for ruining it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is only logical that now it looks bad that AS wants more money because he said himself he sold it for an apple. We don't know what deal they made. Hopefully it will be resolved peacefully.
Post automatically merged:

I myself know him aswell because of the games. Haven't read one single book.

Read the letter for myself (I encourage you all to do the same, don't rely on heresay or even CDPR's own words) and I'm kind of shocked.

Most of the letter is fine, but the last few paragraphs read a lot like extortion.

"Both we and you are, after all, fully aware of the fact that even going public with a copyright claim may negatively impact the Group’s reputation and further growth

This is particularly true if the claim concerns your core activity and your most important product... We can reasonably expect that the negative consequences of the fact that Mr. Sapkowski has not received his due compensation, and furthermore,
that the validity of your copyright contracts has been called into question, may translate into a decrease in stock prices significant enough to exceed the demands formulated in this notice."

Sapkowski could be legally in the right here, despite CDPR's claims, if certain Polish laws hold up. Apparently, and this actually is heresay on my part, there's some law that allows Polish creators to reap additional rewards from unexpected successes, even if they initially agreed to a lump sum.

Whether he is morally in the right is another subject entirely. If CDPR decides to fight this, which it sounds like they will, I fully expect them to pull quotes from interviews conducted with the man in the past, where he admits it was stupid of him not to take a percentage, and that he dislikes video games, etc., to try to harm his character. Note, I'm not saying CDPR themselves would be "bad" people about it, but lawyers are lawyers.

My personal opinion? I think Sapkowski deserves absolutely nothing. I don't think it's a stretch to say that The Witcher 3 (and 2)'s success is the sole reason he now has a Netflix series in the works, and his books are now translated for English-speaking western audiences.

That wasn't his work. It was CDPR's. He didn't lift a finger. Apparently, he didn't even consult with them the way Mike Pondsmith has been with 2077. By the way, can we take a second to appreciate how awesome Mike has been about everything? That's a guy with integrity, one you know won't come back to bite you in the arse 10 years down the line.

Yeah, that extortion part in the end of the letter is something else... Like the rest of the letter wasn't already opportunistic enough.

CD should ask for more money because AS book sales were boosted by their games but hey won't because they are smart and know that it would affect their own game sales. It is morally not nice and to be honest AS didn't believe in CDs work and CD worked their ass off so hard to get the best game ever and succeeded so CDs money is their own money. AS has absolutely no right to ask for more and it looks very greedy and he has made an absolute bad decision which had nearly destroyed CD Project Red but they delivered.

Very strange too is that he wants more money because W3 sold so well. Why not ask for more money in the W2 era? CD should give him nothing. He is not hungry he made money with netflix and the books.

Last edited:
Law is law. If AS and his lawyers comes out with this, I think it has a real possibility to get this demand. How big this chance? We will see.
On the other hand, no matter what will be the end of this, AS will loose honour before the fans. If AS wins, he will win only money nothing else and I think at this point this matters to him!

As of today I shall not be purchasing his witcher books nor will i watch the witcher show because of this man. Thanks for ruining it for me.

Don't be so harsh! The books have been written. They are the foundations of the world what you like so much! My attitude didn't changed about the books because AS made this. My attitude changed about AS himself.
For CDPR this is a sore spot, if they have to pay this will be a "cutted vein", but I don't think this will affect seriously the further games what they make.

Also, how big the sum was for CDPR when they were asked for single payment against royalties? $5000 was probably more than an average year salary at the time in the area. I mean, royalties were probably more preferable for the company when the deal was made.

Don't be so harsh! The books have been written. They are the foundations of the world what you like so much! My attitude didn't changed about the books because AS made this. My attitude changed about AS himself.
For CDPR this is a sore spot, if they have to pay this will be a "cutted vein", but I don't think this will affect seriously the further games what they make.
Well said. It's important to separate the art from the artist.

I think, and always have thought, that Sapkowski is a bit cranky. I'm not trying to be insulting, but he has certain qualities that make him seem bitter, gruff, and generally unlikeable. I don't know the man in real life, so maybe he's wonderful, but his attitude towards our hobby certainly doesn't endear him to me.

With all of that said, I still read his books and enjoyed them. I'd read them again, too, and I've recommended them to my friends. I'll continue to do so for as long as the books exist. He created a good product, and he should be rewarded for that.

Also, how big the sum was for CDPR when they were asked for single payment against royalties? $5000 was probably more than an average year salary at the time in the area. I mean, royalties were probably more preferable for the company when the deal was made.

I've heard that it was around $9,000 USD, but that could be incorrect. Obviously, it was in Poland's currency, that's just what I read it equated to.

Top Bottom