Weekly Poll 10/29/18 - Gear Rarity

+

Gear Levels And Rarity, what would you like?

• Total voters
Oh, this is a tough one. I would lean more towards no rarity with mod-able weapons and unusual gear. I fear that, as in so many situations before, rarity is a pointless thing. I'm having a hard time articulating how I feel about it lol.

It's like... why should the player use the lower tier weapons once they get a weapon that's color-coded gold or something? I don't know. I just feel like if someone wants to use the starter pistol the entire time, rarity would leave them with a whisper in the back of their mind that they should be using something else.

There should be unique weapons with unique traits, liking micro-charged rounds that also track enemies, sure. But it shouldn't be color-coded.

I'm having a hard time describing what I mean right now. I'll come back later and try again.

Honestly, I love modding more than rarity. It all could be the same rarity for all I care if I can mod the same model of gun to perform 17 different functions. That's actually one of the few things I like about Fallout 4.

I voted 3. I like rarity levels, but would prefer economics to determine what kind of gear I get rather than skill. I never understood why games make it so that only the best at something can have the best tools. If you can afford the shiny hi-tech death bringer of doom, or predator-style light bending camo suit, then you can have it. Pssst ... you can't afford it yet.

Being able to customize your gear is also important ... but I'm not sure I would agree it's "more" important than scarcity/rarity. Almost voted 6 as well. Probably would have if it said "as" instead of "more."

EDIT: Thanks Sard. Changed vote to 3 & 6.

Last edited:
4, 6 and 7 for me, cause immersion.

Modding gear isn't really too realistic. Not beyond a basic level - add a scope, some kind of strap. Picatinny rails.

I've done it and it's a pain, even on the easy stuff.

Real modding as in video games - changing ROF, increasing damage, range, etc - those are left to experts and take awhile even so. Oh and are generally a mixed bag.

In fact I have a Picatinny rail set I have to add to my RFB I've been putting off because it's going to have to be modded to fit under the grip. Ugh.

Ugh. Also just remembered I need new rings to raise the scope a bit. Dammit.

Now I'm depressed remembering the chores I have to do. Oh and sight it in again. AH! AND find another mag to replace my lost one.

Right this went not the way I wanted.

Anyway, modding. Done it, it's a pain and that's for easy, easy, easy mods.

Being able to customize your gear is also important ... but I'm not sure I would agree it's "more" important than scarcity/rarity. Almost voted 6 as well. Probably would have if it said "as" instead of "more."

Such a kvetcher.

It says, "more" because "as" is a gimme. People will generally pick as many options as they can because wheeee we want it all.

Trying to get a sense of priorities.

Also cuz we kind of expressed the modding love in the vehicles poll.

BUT FINE CHANGED IT.

Such a kvetcher.

It says, "more" because "as" is a gimme. People will generally pick as many options as they can because wheeee we want it all.

Trying to get a sense of priorities.

Also cuz we kind of expressed the modding love in the vehicles poll.

BUT FINE CHANGED IT.

But... but... I picked that option because it was more important to me... ;.;

By modding gear you mean allowing V to mod it himself? Or to let him have the option of getting a gunsmith to do the modding he wants?

4, 6, 7. Modding is cool even with damage increase if game can explain this correctly. We already saw modded shotgun with things around its barrels (maybe some electromagnets?) in the demo. This opens gate to wide modding system with electromagnet boosters, changing ammo type, etc. I know it sound totally unrealistic but cmon this is 2077 year and a videogame.

By modding gear you mean allowing V to mod it himself? Or to let him have the option of getting a gunsmith to do the modding he wants?

Either/or, I'd say. If you like modding, both works. If realism, neither is that realistic in terms of what we know now.. 5.56 does so much damage and is so accurate a round, for example. Gunsmiths can only reasonably do so much. Although of course there are exceptions. It's also true that the kind of people who would have reason to mod their weapons a lot, are also reluctant to interfere in reliability in any way.

I know it sound totally unrealistic but cmon this is 2077 year and a videogame.

True, true. It's not a priority for me but if other people want a robust modding system, hey, that's cool. You could certainly make a solid argument that it's the case by 2077.

Modding gear isn't really too realistic. Not beyond a basic level - add a scope, some kind of strap. Picatinny rails.

I've done it and it's a pain, even on the easy stuff.

Real modding as in video games - changing ROF, increasing damage, range, etc - those are left to experts and take awhile even so. Oh and are generally a mixed bag.

In fact I have a Picatinny rail set I have to add to my RFB I've been putting off because it's going to have to be modded to fit under the grip. Ugh.

Ugh. Also just remembered I need new rings to raise the scope a bit. Dammit.

Now I'm depressed remembering the chores I have to do. Oh and sight it in again. AH! AND find another mag to replace my lost one.

Right this went not the way I wanted.

Anyway, modding. Done it, it's a pain and that's for easy, easy, easy mods.

Well, my view about modding is the same as with auto tuning: you can do it yourself, but if you want it to be real good you better left that to professionals.

(And as a side note I'm about sure that my Fallout 4 Character, which is Tony Stark level, can totally do this).

I'm a Techie. I want to build my own weapons, or at the very least heavily modify and or upgrade them.

That being said, a way to distinguish rarity can be very useful. I liked that each of TW3 swords were rated in rarity/quality by their style and origin of manufacture, as well as their condition.

True, true. It's not a priority for me but if other people want a robust modding system, hey, that's cool. You could certainly make a solid argument that it's the case by 2077.

Considering what techie manage to do normally, modding a weapon should be a piece of cake for a dedicaced techie.

I'd rather have more variety than rarity levels. In my admittedly very limited experience all rarity levels do is add extra abilities/stats for higher rarity gear. Also that colour code system.

For example in Witcher 3 you can find the exact same Velen longsword in different rarities, yellow "Magic items" having a rune slot and extra effects compared to grey "Common item" ones.
I'd rather find three swords/guns/armour pieces/whatever that are the exact same stat-wise, but look different. Same thing for higher stat tiers.

Tbh I don't have a strong opinion in this matter, but I didn't want to skip voting in these polls. :p

For me it is more important that there is a variety of gear. I would love for there to be a handful of SMG's where it isn't as straight forward as gun a is not as good as gun b. Maybe I want to choose a particular brand, favor a bigger clip, available firing modes, mod slots, etc. There are so many different parameters you can play with that you could easily have a dozen side grade options for each gear type at every power tier.

After that, I'm not opposed to rarity levels though I'd prefer if it didn't correspond to different weapons (all uzi-9's are green and all suranam's are white), but rather variants like shoddy, stock, custom, milspec, etc so for example:
uzi-9
-grey - "2nd hand" probably busted but then jury-rigged into "working"
-white - new, factory spec
-green - custom build with some premium components
-orange - next gen working prototype, every piece is extremely high grade/low-tolerance, this is the best form this gun can exist (before mods).

Then let me mod all of that, though I'm fine with different pieces of gear having different degrees of modibility, like a line that has NO customization, another that is made to be completely modular, and then a few lines in between.

For the tiers I don't think general stats/skills should gate use, but I see options not being available under a certain street cred rating, and better things should cost more.

Top Bottom