Monster Deck Strategies

+
Crafted Monsters Nest & Abaya, been trying them both out now for a couple of games, but Abaya hasn't come up yet. :)
The Nest is nice, though. Always like more Drowners.

Just a small update: crafted White Frost, too, and overall, I'm really happy with the deck at the moment.
I have 6 possible instances of frost and 1 of rain in the deck, so I usually have enough hazards. Only against some NR decks I suffer, because they always seem to draw multiples of that unit that clears lanes. But I hear everybody hates NR anyway, so there's that. ;)

Pretty happy about the ability to move stuff, too. 3 Drowners, the Frightener, Monster's Nest, Caranthir and Jotunn equals 9 possible instances of moving units, and my experience is that if I can get at least a row of frost to stick and have an average amount of movement, I mostly win.
Guess in a way that's a given, but it took me a while to see that win condition for the deck.

I still haven't got enough scrap for golds, and every so often I get punished for playing with the bad starter golds. Like when I got hit by frost in a mirror, cleared it with Abaya and then got caretakered with my own Abaya, :D
His own followed suit later.

So yeah, pretty happy for now, basically really only looking for 1.6k scraps for Caretaker & Ge'els, maybe a Woodland Spririt, too. But that'll take some time. Currently on rank 11 and still climbing. Wish me luck. And be gentle when you get matched to me ... ;)

4RM3D;n10024071 said:
With the new patch coming, I would save all your scraps until after the patch and the respective meta has settled.

Yeah, that's the plan (will take me easily that long to get it, anyway - I'll have to wait for end-of-season rewards), even though from the list of planned changes, my favoured gold seem to be okay. It's still best to wait, though.

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, like pretty much everyone else im tired of this meta, but what i cant understand is why a certain easy combo isnt more popular. Im talking about:

Dao (previously Golem) + Griffin

I keep seeing complains about how Deathwish isnt viable, how Nekkers is the only MO meta deck, and complains about other no brainer OP bronzes, but i rarely see this easy combo.

All you have to do is put a Golem, then spam Griffins. Each Griffin provides 17 points (9+4+4)! Unlike other bronzes that provide a lot of value, it isnt too risky, as most opponents wont try to destroy it as that spawns the 2 lesser Dao (8 pts), and they'll usually keep their locks for bigger things.

(EDIT) Also, since the pts get scattered over 3 bodies, there isnt the risk of scorching / compression / reset, like its the case of Harpy Eggs + Forktail

I analyzed all of the bronzes from the game, and i couldnt find 2 bronzes with this little setup that provide so much value. Please prove me wrong, i dare you

:cheers:

Last edited:
Turn 1 you play a Dao for 6 points. Turn 2 you play a Griffin for 17 points. Equals 23 points.
How about Viper Witchers that are very often a 5 body with 10 damage. In 2 turns it's 30 points.
Redanian Elite for 8 points, then a Heavy Cavalry for 26 points total.
There's probably more

I've played against D'ao decks with some regularity, and some twenty games with a D'ao variant. The bronze core is fairly reliant on D'ao; the rest of the deathwish options isn't as powerful, at least not consistently. (Maybe I'm biased because I mostly played deck where Rotfiend isn't an issue.)
In terms of power output, it seemed just slightly below the competitive threshold. It never felt weak in that regard but it does seem to lack a sufficient plan for round 3.
It's also less consistent from what I've seen than either Dwarves or the various Skellige big dude variants.

An aside on the topic of power output in the current meta: I've played an Item Spotter variant almost exlusively this season - the one that turns its bronzes into Ciri-sized beatsticks - and it was remarkable to me how well many non-interactive decks can actually keep up. I would often win only ten or twenty points ahead - with three to four 20+ units on the board as my only round 3 plays. D'ao/Griffin certainly has potential but as is, it's just one of many powerful interactions.

I did notice people were reluctant to kill D'ao, although for the life of me I don't get why. Unless their hand is terrible, they were going to get those 8 points anyway - or 16, or 24. Better to just give them the 8 ...

DRK3

Forum veteran
Texen1982 Those are good suggestions, but i did consider them, and they do have drawbacks that keep them from being clearly better than the MO combo i pointed.

The viper witchers are great... except when they dont have a good target. I play with a viper witcher deck, and ive played many times against those, and in that situation, you try to avoid putting big bodies that the viper witcher could target, specially R3 when they like to pop out from the GY.

The armor combo on the other hand, is indeed better as a 2 card combo... except if you want a 3rd, you need to put another elite, then another cavalry, while with the dao you can just use a 2nd griffin on the same dao, not losing tempo (not to mention the locks /damages those armor units suffer to)

DRK3;n10398002 said:
So, like pretty much everyone else im tired of this meta, but what i cant understand is why a certain easy combo isnt more popular. Im talking about:

[...]
I've actually been seeing it with some regularity in casual, but I think the downside as pointed out is that over a 2 card play it's only 23 pts. you can up that average if you don't run all 3 dao's, but it makes it harder to pull off consistently. Monsters are a little light on resurrection so those griffins are only going to happen once. even with nekker warriors they aren't really fetchable so it's not a great help

TBH the continuous damage from archespores actually seems more viable despite the weaker onside pts, unless you're also running row boosters like G.Froth or C.Horn.

I don't really understand the immune-ability. I played a werewolf the other day but was hit by the skellige savage bear. Should not be possible or should it?

SirusR2PO;n10713491 said:
Should not be possible or should it?

Immune only blocks effects that you target yourself. Savage Bear pings "on its own", so Immune doesn't protect against it. :)

DRK3;n10398002 said:

I keep seeing complains about how Deathwish isnt viable, how Nekkers is the only MO meta deck, and complains about other no brainer OP bronzes, but i rarely see this easy combo.

All you have to do is put a Golem, then spam Griffins. Each Griffin provides 17 points (9+4+4)! Unlike other bronzes that provide a lot of value, it isnt too risky, as most opponents wont try to destroy it as that spawns the 2 lesser Dao (8 pts), and they'll usually keep their locks for bigger things.

(EDIT) Also, since the pts get scattered over 3 bodies, there isnt the risk of scorching / compression / reset, like its the case of Harpy Eggs + Forktail

I analyzed all of the bronzes from the game, and i couldnt find 2 bronzes with this little setup that provide so much value. Please prove me wrong, i dare you

:cheers:

I think it's just legacy at this point, and people not wanting to think outside the box.

Dagon deathwish has been the top monster deck for ages, and moonlight has been nipping at the heels of competitiveness for a while now.

I like the spiders consume deck. Not the regular dethwish neckers( i know its easily countered but its fun ) and it can be a budget deck.
For all those fog based decks. That people get to be budgety invest in moon its very interactive and i has some great moves. If you dont have the unseen one go with the basic leader useen one is not a must in the deck and the fog can eat some of the clear skyes.

I have seen some moonlight decks lately in the ranked drafts. And when i say moonlight i actually mean bloodmoon. Boosting your own minions is super cheep tactic and one hazzard really screws your whole deck. By a moon deck i mean bloood moon. you can use daron and woodland spirit on a empty roll just to make your oponent stack some of his units on the other than spawn a bloodmoon on th eother roll . Than play some garbade until your oponents fulls his board. than bridge troll to move blood moon that will do shitloads of dmg and a warecar on a full board is 23 dmg + the boddy not to mention the bloodmoon on 10 units is 20 points that gives the 9 powered bridge troll 29 points. have some of those vampires to completely drain a unit thus making you have a removal that the oponent cant revive mandrake become extremely good in this deck. Muzzle get even more annoying. you can run kayran for a posible consume of another oponent monster. The golden dude that duels everyone gets some awesome value you can even get great value from drowned ones you pick from monster nest or whatever lamia is good removal if you want to move the bloodmoon. The downside of this deck is that you can have only 4 bloodmoons-moonlights and while moonlight seems much safer to use and you may think that you are immune to clear skyes you can still get hazarded and slaughtered especially with the wild hunts they are very competitive.

I have been having some success with deathwish with Arachas Queen as leader.

As stated previously dao + griffin is powerful. Brewess: Ritual is a great card round 3 to ensure you have deathwish cards to trigger with the leader.

After the new GWENT update what is your new Monster Meta deck?
I currently do the Deathwish+consume+ederin but it's countered by a mere "destroy the lowest/highest unit of your opponent cards or gold weather cards.

Been playing a fun Arachas Swarm deck just a few deathwish cards and the majority are consume... it's definitely not worthy of ranked play though

I really hope they rework some leaders. Like woorland spirit for example. Handbuff is pretty much the thing of scoiatel dwarfes. Eredin is enough for the "biggest unit" archetype and i would love something that works well with beasts like wolfes. The woodland spirit could for example a "when activated, buffes every played beast for the remaining round"-leader.

This and the skins you get are something i dont like. Skellige skins arent even noticeable...

DRK3

Forum veteran
I tried an Arachas deck, that swarms so hard you actually have to take care not to fill your board and not be able to put more units.

It was crushed for multiple reasons, but on the 8th match, i finally did what i wanted (and not even in ideal conditions):

Before crazy bug:
Before.jpg

After crazy bug:
After.jpg

I couldnt believe my eyes when i saw that point swing...

Top Bottom