Melee Weapon Variety

+
How much variety will we find in Cyberpunk 2077's melee weapons?

For instance, will we find an electrical axe with stun properties? Or maybe something more raw and primitive like a baseball bat with mini saw blades poking out of the weapon to cause a bleed affect on enemies. And maybe there will be uses for silly looking melee weapons such as... a baton covered in meme-like stickers and sporting a Lizzy key chain all for a goofy, yet silent, knock out .

I'd like to see others add their own ideas into this thread, as well. Lets have some fun. Lets be imaginative. What would YOU like to have in Cyberpunk 2077?

Tbh, I don't need to see many, but what is there to be unique and very different how it plays. Sort of like Bloodborne weapons...each is useful, but there is a huge difference depending on what you face.

Wolvers...for bleed, backstab damage and close assassinations.
Mantis blades : for wall climbing and double frontal attacks and decapitations.
Power gloves: speed, more strength scaling and shock stunning opponents.
Blunt weapon/like Fallout Super Sledge : smashing things, knockback/down, heavy armor penetration
Katana/sword: More varied techniques/versatility/moveset, parry ( damage ), customization ( with mods),
Monowhip: for AoE attacks, disarming and just slicing unarmored enemies ( with crits)
Spear ( like from Predator): Impaling enemies, throw ( extra headshot damage), reach

Also MGSV like rocket arm. :p

Also Different damage scaling based on strength: that would be one main advantage of melee over ranged. Late game melee/strength build would be a real powerhouse, but you'd have a lot more difficult early game.

I'd really like to see focus on simple quality here: Maybe a few different models( with substantially different properties when it comes to damage, speed, range, etc) for each category, but game really doesn't need hundred different weapons to have interesting gear/itemization.

Last edited:
Well we know (based on the gameplay video) there will be "Mantis Blades" and swords (probably Katanas).
Other then that we can only go by what was in CP2020 and @Loostreaks above covered that pretty well.

I know there is the ubiquitous Katana;

main-qimg-0f682f41e0a2236734de43589a0670aa.png

But I am hoping for knives, bats, knuckles and especially axes/hatchets. I'm a big fan of axes, so handy when you want to fight dirty.

I know there is the ubiquitous Katana;

View attachment 10982872

But I am hoping for knives, bats, knuckles and especially axes/hatchets. I'm a big fan of axes, so handy when you want to fight dirty.
If you look at minute 18 of the video gameplay CDPR released , you can see in the crime scene that they are using an axe.
I'm not sure that there will be axes in the game , but i think that this is a good sign IMO (y)

Tuco

Forum veteran
Admittedly I lost a lot of interest in melee weapons and hand-to-hand combat (which were a big part of the pen&paper system) the moment they made it clear that they were planning to stick to first person camera.

Just to be clear this is not another whine about that choice; I'm just stating the fact that when you go first person melee combat becomes almost implicitly a sub-optimal (if not even subpar) option.
Even the very best examples in the genre (which are a narrow minority) can rarely match up with decent cases of melee combat in third person, let alone the absolute top.

Last edited:
Even the very best examples in the genre (which are a narrow minority) can rarely match up with decent cases of melee combat in third person, let alone the absolute top.
What?
You don't like waving your hand/weapon around in front of your face while yelling "Take that, and that, and that!" IRL?

Chivalry did a pretty decent job, but yes, FP is not as good as TP for melee combat, however, we've got FP, we're not getting TP, it's way past that stage.

Yes, please. I'll take a stun gun augment built into my hand. No hard feelings...let's shake on it.

Roight. I want me a fancy cyber knoblolly, wot can smack blokes 'ard over their 'eads all quiet like and put'em to sleep faster than the ole Sandman 'imself.

In fact, that's what imma call it, The Sandman. Proper name, innit?

I hope they add as many melee weapons from PnP but again perspective they pick for CP77 is big let down, it will make most of the melee combat to boring and not interesting, in demo they show little of melee but what they show is one takedown and slice from left to right and from right to left, that is Skyrim melee worst melee combat ever.

CDPR say we learn from The Witcher and we have great melee combat system for players who want to play CP77 fully melee oriented, we need to see it first how great it is, but if they didn't make one small part of demo to be only melee to show little of that great system, i doubt they have so great system.

Top Bottom