Weekly Poll 12/3/18 - Night City!

+

What do you want from Night City?

• Total voters
Night City.

"I love this place. On the other hand, I've been accused of being a masochist." - Johnny Silverhand.

"The City of the Fallen Angels. Not to mention the Legion, the Chromers, the Gilligans, the Inquisitors..." - Lt. Strawberry Morressey NCPD.

"Nobody ever leaves Night CIty. Except in a body bag." -Bes Isis, Media.

"Night City...Ahwooooooo!" - Unknown.

A character in its own right, with a history (purpose built by Richard Night to be a City of the Future, overrun by organized crime, then violently taken back by the Corps), a look (sharp, cool, chrome and neon with a dash of crazy) and filled with iconic Cyberpunk people, places and ideas.

We've seen bits of Night City in the trailer and the demo. What are you hoping for from the rest?

List of Polls to date: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/collected-weekly-polls-thread.10984601/

Last edited:
I wanted to clarify the details that were important to me :) Or something we don't really know about such as level/SCred gates.

Yeah but if you want -everything- that's pretty obvious. If people are gonna just pick that AND the details, it's superfluous.

Yeah but if you want -everything- that's pretty obvious. If people are gonna just pick that AND the details, it's superfluous.

So replace the "everything" option with a "target-rich environment" option, since most of us will pick 1 and at least one more option anyway?

Picked 2, 7, and 8, but #1 reigns supreme of course. I was looking forward to this poll.

I'm mostly disappointed by the (current) lack of flying cars, but I accept that technical limitations are probably the source of their absence. That, and perhaps pacing issues, but undoubtedly mostly technical.

I don't care so much about super dense crowds. Icing on the cake, I suppose. What I really want above all else is verticality.

I want to go up to a higher roof level, and cross between buildings via a bridge, overhang, or something of that sort. I want to feel the scale of the city, like I'm in it.

I definitely don't want another GTA V city, where everything is set dressing, and essentially a theme park. As many enterable buildings as is logically and technically possible.

Nothing should be locked off, unless its a room/building that you have a very, very low chance (or impossible) of entering without a higher skill.

5, 6 and 8.

But above all I’d ask for interactivity and reactivity.

I don’t think the the crowds and their schedules, square mileage or number of enterable rooms, whether all that’s above me or below, matter much if I can’t do anything with it but watch as I pass by.

Doesn’t need to always be worldshatteringly important interactivity either. Even the more mundane things can provide interesting gameplay.

The point being that every scene has some opportunities to test my character in some way. Random NPC’s and street items and objects might be tied to a set of small scale interactivity that might or might not (depending on where you are in the game and when) provide something interesting (info, money, temporary companions, items, little missions/encounters...).

3, 6, 7, & 8

Really crowded streets aren't the norm in most American cities (except during morning & evening rush hours). Night City isn't Hong Kong, it has room to sprawl so population density isn't nearly as high. And outside of the downtown many parts of the city will be pretty quiet during the day (especially before noon), only "waking up" after dark.

A large part of immersion is getting the "feel" of various parts of the city during different times of the day right. If the crowds are always the same, if everything is neon (back alleys should look like back alleys), this kills immersion rather then creating it.

I'll leave artistic decisions to CDPR, since they know how to make it look pretty and atmospheric.

Overall, I'm not sure. We had a number of games with satisfying city hubs. Human Revolution had nice hubs. Exploration rewarded in various ways. There was verticality. IMO, there was enough freedom to go almost anywhere you want. Though areas weren't that big. So I guess CDPR can expand only scope-wise.

4, 6, 7, 10

6 is the most important thing for me. The districts ought to look and feel distinct. Make each district be it's own "character," not just the whole city. Hopefully there is a fair amount of outskirts too that feels empty. Breaking up the setting so everything doesn't feel the same is good. I really liked in TW3 that Novigrad, Velen, Skellige and Kaer Morhen all felt like their own places.

Variety is the spice of life. Lots of pedestrians & verticality should also be an emphasis IMO to make the city feel like a real city. Destroyable environments are also a plus, just so it feels right when things are hit ... though of the four I voted for, this is the least important to me.

I'm kind of torn between 8 & 9, I don't think general areas (read: neighborhoods or any publicly available space) should be gated, though I could see more accomplished NPC's not giving you the time of day until you have enough street cred or establish enough reputation with their lesser allies/contacts, which would then lead to gating off their buildings and such.

I'm kind of torn between 8 & 9, I don't think general areas (read: neighborhoods or any publicly available space) should be gated, though I could see more accomplished NPC's not giving you the time of day until you have enough street cred or establish enough reputation with their lesser allies/contacts, which would then lead to gating off their buildings and such.
Yeah I had an internal debate mostly about whether I really cared much about this one way or the other. Neither option would really upset me. I would prefer option 9 if I had to vote, but wasn't a big enough deal for me to take a stance one way or the other.

My thoughts as well. General areas shouldn't be gated off (I.E. city districts) without good reason, and especially not without letting players take some alternate -- but perhaps more dangerous -- route to get in. But individual buildings and smaller regions ("our gang runs this alleyway" type stuff), sure.

Ideally, the player can get into any of these places a la Deus Ex, by using their own ingenunity and creativity, but that's probably too much to ask of CDPR.

I would think it will be a mix between the two, with late game areas having high (??) level enemies that are too difficult for most players with low level characters, but sometimes it also requires story progression to access an area (likely only a minority of the entire map), where doing so too early could break the main quest line. This is how it was implemented in The Witcher 3, most of the map is open to exploration right after the prologue, but traveling to Skellige immediately at level 4 may be too difficult, and Kaer Morhen is locked off until after the first act of the main story.

Top Bottom