GWENT Roadmap overview

+
I really enjoyed the stream, a lot of stuff is on the table and i can't wait to eat. The new expansion is by far the most exciting news, since it brings a lot of new stuff to play with and new possible decks playable.

I'm ok with the mulligan -> provision switch for leader balance. Not so much on the reduced draws.

Please don't. PLEASE. I've had enough of the "hyper tempo r1/drypass or lose" bs of the beta and i don't want to see it come back. The game is much more enjoyable right now.

For the rest, i'm curious about the new faction (if i have to take Slama's words literally, i don't expect redania being the next faction) and i'm also curious about how they dodged every mobile related question. Something is going on in that department? We well see.

I already heard promises like these 1 year ago. And we all know what happened next :D Let's see what will happen this time.
By the way, it is noticeable that many good devs like Luigi have gone to very important Cyberpunk game. Gwent remains a minor project for CDPR.
You mean we got a new game mode, an improved game with homecoming, soon 5 new leaders and next march the first official expansion? Well damn i seriously hope they keep up the good work.

Sounds good so far. We'll see how it goes. But please, before releasing any major update, go through intense testing, when HC was released it felt rushed and unfinished.

With Jason being the director I feel awesome! He has such a genuine love and passion for the game. He was also very open and transparent. Gwent is not dead! Long live Gwent and Jason!!!!

There’s nothing wrong with new mulligans in my opinion.
Also, I welcome console patch, it’s badly needed.

@Dominika @Burza46

Thanks for addressing many of the communities issues outlined since the launch of Homecoming. Huge step in the right direction in helping mitigate many negative feelings that come with change. The fact you addressed the community unrest and feedback shows a great deal of character in the Gwent team and CDPR, well done.

Not sure about the trade off for overdrawing to correct hands, as it still feels like you're playing against the system rather than your opponent and the trade off seems to be a level of "bad rng" in order to correct rng in the first place. I would argue the best type of rng in the game, is one where my decisions can reduce the random nature of a card. (Brouver in CB for example. Keeping track of silvers, and playing them until I have 1 guaranteed.)

I welcome seeing a return to greater satisfaction of outcome through agency, (rather than draw) and hopefully you find the right balance there.

My feeling is that if you shift draw to 1 2 instead of 2 1, short round deck archetypes still won't be viable.

Draw should always be secondary to the play style of the deck, so if the deck & balance is working well. I shouldn't need to pray for drawing certain cards for victory, instead my plays should set up my last round draw through thinning & mulligans.

I'd like to see more mulligans, and a retention of the current mulligan carryover system. Which would allow for that kind of deliberate setup from players to stake their outcome on either round 2/3. Or something like a guaranteed mulligan limit per round, with a set level of reserve mulligans able to be used each round. EG 3, 2, 1 with 2 reserve.

Having a system in play where the player is able to decide where they take their stand is fantastic (passing) and I argue this mechanic would enhance that further. I look forward to seeing card advantage return, and hopefully the January patch goes a long way to fulfilling the ideas you've stated in the roadmap.

Thanks again for your transparency, and continued efforts in developing Gwent.

All the best for the holiday season to you guys & the CDPR team.

-Mooseking

I just want to be as transparent as possible. I think your new players (and more specifically your new income and population) are hurt by the constant freezing and stuttering. This echoes a lot of people who are not going to stop here to post it. It _needs_ to be addressed if you want new players to do more then breeze by and move on. To stick.

Cause I'm one of them. I bought the 5 dollar pack and I love the game, and respect the devs for their creativity; but spending any more money or time on something that doesnt work consistently is not attractive. Regardless of upcoming content - the current content is already amazing - the instability plaguing that content takes all the fun out of it instantly. By the second or third freeze you want to be done.

Make Nilfgaard great again!

Sounds like 2019 (and the future in general) is going to be a very exciting year with all the new changes and additions coming to the game. Looking forward to seeing it all unfold. :D

Why You ask here? Send e-mail to Sony and Microsoft ;-)
It’s more so just Sony, and from what I’ve noticed they’ve actually loosened up to cross platform play. That’s why I asked for an update. Also if you look at fortnite it’s linked to an epic games account so you can play it across all platforms (now). So why don’t we at least have a system like that? That lets us transfer our account from one device to another at least console to pc and pc to one console through our GOG account? (how fortnite originally had it before PS decided to allow cross platform on fortnite last month)

"Improved"
to be fair, they addressed the main issues that are discussed everywhere. Like, I literally saw a video of a pro player suggesting some of the announced changes a couple of days ago.

I'm much more positive after the stream regarding the future of Gwent.

to be fair, they addressed the main issues that are discussed everywhere. Like, I literally saw a video of a pro player suggesting some of the announced changes a couple of days ago.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of the changes, I just think Homecoming is worse designwise then beta.
Also, they don't really touch the main issue of the gameplay that made a lot of people quit: inconsistency/RNG heavy gameplay.
And I hope they don't even think of introducing new archetypes in march when there isn't even one complete archetype in the game right now. Plus, why would you introduce a new faction when none of the already existing ones feels finished yet?
Furthermore I think they should either increase/remove the row limit or give us back the 3rd row, an eighteen card field is just too small.
The changes they announced are a good beginning, but they're still a long way off making Gwent good again, let alone "great".

I really liked the stream. Especially the changes to the draw and handsize limit.
I hope you go with 1 draw in round 3 so we can get really short rounds 3 and make bleeding more powerful again.
I wish the handsize limit would have been completely abandoned and engines/slow tempo playes buffed instead but it's a step in the right direction.
I hope Jason keeps in mind that many people who were not happy with hc already left the game, including this forum and reddit. I just want him to keep that in mind when he sees post about people not liking changes like the draw reduction. These two core aspects were so important to me (and i can imagione many others) that i stopped playing gwent for over a month. Something i never did since i started playing it with the closed Beta. I'm still here because i want to enjoy gwent again but many people probabaly moved on and are not voicing there opinion here. I hope you stick to your annoucement and reduce the card draw again.

Last edited:

I share your positive outlook based on the way the areas were spoken about. It sounds like Mr. Slama has some idea on the areas people are unhappy with and, more importantly, why.

However..... :). These issues haven't been addressed just yet. Nor is it clear how exactly CDPR intends to address them. At this point I'd have to take a cautiously optimistic perspective. A wait and see approach. This is not at all meant as a slight either. It's more to point out we've been down similar roads before.

I'd be curious on the discussion surrounding the card draw changes. I do think reducing those draws would improve game play in a number of areas. Reducing them too much could have negative impacts though. They need to strike the right balance between giving engines/low value cards an early round margin to be played while making consideration of point differentials a larger factor for more of the round. I think this engine card margin is the primary benefit of hand-limit. Despite all of the talk about dry-passing and perceived impacts to CA.

I'd also caution CDPR to tread carefully with changes to card draws. The existing tutor/thin options leave a lot to be desired. In many cases you almost feel forced to carry Witchers to thin the deck. If card draws go down those tutor/thin options need to be addressed. Either by making them more reliable, cheaper or greater in number. Both need to happen at the same time for it to work, IMO.

And I hope they don't even think of introducing new archetypes in march when there isn't even one complete archetype in the game right now. .

I'm just gonna hop in there because I feel you're not doing the game justice with that. There are a couple of very interesting deck archetypes - Bran Beast Discard, Eist Warriors, Handbuff Dwarves, Foltest Boost/Machines, Woodland Giants, Ruehin Consume. There are a lot of different archetypes, and deckbuilding in general is very diverse. Maybe not at a Tier 1 level, but there are a multitude of decks that you can play in ranked and get decent results with.

I definitely 100% agree with you that the existing archetypes need to be fleshed out more so that deckbuilding can be more diverse and you are not locked to a few cards because you don't have a ton of options. That doesn't mean there are no cool archetypes right now that you can play around with. We need more low-provision cost cards, and more low-provision cost cards with different effects and purposes so that deckbuilding can be even more diverse and you try out more things. I sincerely hope we see more support for Movement decks, more spells and different kind of artifacts with creative and unique effects, I also hope we see an overhaul of the reveal mechanic and the spy mechanic.

But claiming that there are no complete archetypes in the game right now seems unfair to me.

Top Bottom