ZERO strategy - what is wrong with HC76

+
That is not a solution. You will lose to people who use higher value cards in their deck on average. You would be just setting yourself up for failure. For someone who mentions deckbuilding, you seem a bit oblivious...

Your other comment is just irrelevant and there to provoke, in other words not appropriate nor an arguement. But that's okay. Mods don't much mind about that one.

He still hasn't answered my request for an explanation on his reasoning. A bit like this "put better bronzes in". Like what, exactly?! Some decks are of course better than others and there are people, pro players, considerably better than many of us amateurs I'm sure. But deckbuilding doesn't define this game - random does. Random deal, random reveal, random mulligan, random (cough cough) matchmaking. The deck's got nothing to do with it.

If you were able to say "right, I've build this NR deck and I only want to play it against NG and SK", then it makes sense. But in my particular case, it's more like I'm saying "OK, I've built this MO swarm deck for fun, I definitely do NOT want to play a multi-single-damage SK deck with epidemic", then being matched against exactly that deck.

Complexity should follow naturally from the amount of choices you have available, with no obvious right path, not from trying to figure out how the game works. Besides, making the game accessible does not mean injecting it with so much RNG that everyone can win at least some matches.

While these statements are hard to argue, HC has neither choices nor complexity.

Moreover, you are totally wrong about Dota being a game of finesse. Then chess is also a game of finesse: you need to move the pieces!

It does if the decks you're running are, how shall we put this, terrible. Based on the one you posted earlier..... I'll leave it at that :).

Level 10 and above, completely agree with you. Level 15?! Bollocks, it's "fine". Never going to win every match, but it's about experimenting and there's no way you should be playing high end synergy decks with perfect deals at level 15.

Level 10 and above, completely agree with you. Level 15?! Bollocks, it's "fine". Never going to win every match, but it's about experimenting and there's no way you should be playing high end synergy decks with perfect deals at level 15.

It doesn't matter if you are Level 15, 25 or 0. Decks are viable or not viable. And as I answered to you in the other thread were your ST deck was moved, your deck is just not viable.

What exactly are you attempting to say here? Rank 15 players aren't allowed to run decent decks and pilot them properly? Are you expecting people in ranked to roll over, consistently misplay and utilize poorly constructed decks?

Everyone has to start somewhere. While I'm sure some players aren't very good that is perfectly okay. The rank 15 player may have turned over a new leaf and opted to clean up their play or build better decks. Perhaps they have learned the game better. It could potentially be a smurf account. There are any number of reasons why this supposed "experimenter" would be running quality decks and piloting them well.

If you're expecting to waltz into ranked and trounce over everyone up until an arbitrary point because, well, they're only rank 15-30 it might be part of the problem. Assuming the other player isn't very good or won't be running a quality deck because they're only rank X, Y or Z is a huge mistake. That is a good way to get trounced :).

It doesn't matter if you are Level 15, 25 or 0. Decks are viable or not viable. And as I answered to you in the other thread were your ST deck was moved, your deck is just not viable.

Well we can't all be as knowledgeable as you, can we. Defend this sack of shit all you want, mate, I know crap when I see it.
What exactly are you attempting to say here? Rank 15 players aren't allowed to run decent decks and pilot them properly? Are you expecting people in ranked to roll over, consistently misplay and utilize poorly constructed decks?

Everyone has to start somewhere. While I'm sure some players aren't very good that is perfectly okay. The rank 15 player may have turned over a new leaf and opted to clean up their play or build better decks. Perhaps they have learned the game better. It could potentially be a smurf account. There are any number of reasons why this supposed "experimenter" would be running quality decks and piloting them well.

If you're expecting to waltz into ranked and trounce over everyone up until an arbitrary point because, well, they're only rank 15-30 it might be part of the problem. Assuming the other player isn't very good or won't be running a quality deck because they're only rank X, Y or Z is a huge mistake. That is a good way to get trounced :).

Definitely one point of view and I can see where those assumptions came from. Another point of view is that I might be an old Gwent Beta player who'd put a lot of time and effort in, regularly seeing that effort rewarded with Level 19 or 20 out of 21. Please do correct me here, but struggling around lvl 12-15 regularly losing as many - if not more - than I win is kinda similar to being lvl 8-10 in Gwent Beta and not getting any further?

The insinuation here is that I'm a little bit thick and don't know what makes a winning deck, which is a bit rude. What I'm talking - endlessly and repeatedly - about is the point of this thread, that it is the deal and the algorithm behind it that makes for the win or loss, more so than the strategy. Play big Monster deck, lost because the opponent has both Geralt's in his final two hands. If I was - in that case - running a Sihil deck with ST, it's a simple win. My problem is not so much in the winning or losing - though I do get salty a.f. when the deals are so biased - it's that the game is decided on who you're facing, and what you're dealt. Everything else is a procession.

I won a couple of games this afternoon, not ashamed to say both opponents were....dreadful. One managed to have a 2 card disadvantage, then played instead of dry-passing R2! The next had a dreadful deal left with a sprinkling of filler bronzes in R3. Others, as per the pictures above, have had TEN golds dealt with just one tutor (Royal Decree, itself a Gold that pulled a Gold!!!!). No chance, nobody would. The point i am desperately trying to make here is that it's not about me trying to be on a ladder or a pro, and I don't think for one second I'm a master deckbuilder (that much is obvious!). It's about a game that offer a fair matchup every time where the outcome of the game is MAINLY dictated by the skill of the player, not the quality of the deal or the RNG of constantly boosting/pulling 3 point bronzes (NG -specific).

I just do NOT understand how one player gets to play ten golds, when 6 of mine are in the final 9 cards. It's absolutely and completely STUPID! If we had the ability to manipulate our deck, get guarantees on certain cards, even the deal that's produced it would INSTANTLY make Gwent a bearable - possibly even half-decent - card game. As it is, it's a boring procession of "who got the best deal", with the very rare odd game that's closer because the deal was fair and neither player has a removal answer to the others' question. That's the game I played in Beta, that's the game I want back.

You guys can be sceptical if you wish, but it is in fact easy to prove, and I have proven it many times to myself.

This one time, before the December patch, I was running Spella'tael (at first my crappy version, then a less crappier version I copied from Team Aretuza and then modified a bit to my taste). The ONLY type of deck - I repeat, the ONLY type of deck I would get matched with - was NG reveal with more or less witchers in it. I'm not saying I *tended* to face this type of deck, I'm not saying the *majority* of the decks were NG reveal. I am saying *every single deck* was NG reveal - except two times where I got matched with some NR stuff (I suspect the algorithm couldn't find any NG reveal).

This was not a quirk. I tried many, many games on different days and it was always the same thing. As soon as I switched to another deck, I would get other kinds of opponents. Switching to Spella'tael invariably brought me face to face with NG reveal.

I've playing sessions where running some decks would take me minutes to find an adversary or it would just keep searching, whereas switching to another deck right away would land me an adversary in seconds. I've tested these things many, many times, way beyond the tolerance limit for coincidence.

A good way to test it is to take the deck you normally run and make a copy of it (or just use the original one, but remember what it was). Change some cards in it and notice what happens with your opponents.

Cramming weather in your deck, you will start seeing adversaries with weather removal (which you must admit is preeeetty rare that someone runs weather removal nowadays). On the flip side, put some weather removal in your deck and you will find adversaries with weather. Put a big finisher in your deck, you will find adversaries with big removal. And vice versa. Try it and see.

Maybe I'm completely insane. But I really doubt it. There was a degree of it in open beta as well (at least in the post-Midwinter time I was playing).

There's probably hidden variables in MM like a soft level leash range but I doubt the gamr tries to match players who can hard counter eachother.

whats going to happen if u draw only 2 GOLD cards (1 of them is bricked Caretaker in round 1) and u played only 1 of them during the match

I've seen this before... one of the problems with hardcore card game players is that they really only concern themselves with finding ways to WIN. They really don't care about balance except insofar as stopping anything from interrupting whatever their preferred path to victory might be.

The provision system is brilliant because it applies RISK of inconsistency to your deck in equal proportion to said decks degree of dedication to any one particular, singular concept that you have in mind. Because the stronger your concept is... the more specialized your Gold Cards become. And specialized Gold cards have higher provision costs for exactly that reason.

This is tremendous for balance and deck diversity. But it makes it difficuilt for hardcore card game players to have consistency with their favored singular concepts. THIS IS BY DESIGN AND IT IS WONDERFUL.

To watch you guys scratching and clawing for more consistency here really illustrates that you don't understand the oppurtunity for gainful divergence that the provision system and 2x bronze card limit is allowing for you at the deck building phase.

Ahahah this topic have been a lot of fun.

People complaining because in a CARD GAME sometimes you don't get your perfect combo pieces. Shocker i know.

I've seen this before... one of the problems with hardcore card game players is that they really only concern themselves with finding ways to WIN. They really don't care about balance except insofar as stopping anything from interrupting whatever their preferred path to victory might be.

The provision system is brilliant because it applies RISK of inconsistency to your deck in equal proportion to said decks degree of dedication to any one particular, singular concept that you have in mind. Because the stronger your concept is... the more specialized your Gold Cards become. And specialized Gold cards have higher provision costs for exactly that reason.

This is tremendous for balance and deck diversity. But it makes it difficuilt for hardcore card game players to have consistency with their favored singular concepts. THIS IS BY DESIGN AND IT IS WONDERFUL.

To watch you guys scratching and clawing for more consistency here really illustrates that you don't understand the oppurtunity for gainful divergence that the provision system and 2x bronze card limit is allowing for you at the deck building phase.
The point is, consistency was the only thing Gwent did better than the competition. Without it there is literally no reason to play it over HS/Magic/etc.
And if player numbers keep sinking you can bet that they will change a whole lot of things back to what they used to be, including tutor cards en masse.

The point is, consistency was the only thing Gwent did better than the competition. Without it there is literally no reason to play it over HS/Magic/etc.
And if player numbers keep sinking you can bet that they will change a whole lot of things back to what they used to be, including tutor cards en masse.
You mean you can't play it because you like it? Seems a good enough reason.

Top Bottom