FPP/TPP Perspective Thread OPEN. Be NICE.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, only if you talk about videogames, cause there is a whole lot of things outside of videogames that I would not try at all even if some people say it's good.
First example that comes to my mind: same sex sex while being heterosexual: I won't try it.

Global Thermonuclear War, while some swear is a fun game, is one that always makes me nervous.

I'm pretty certain that would be treason, a war crime, or both.

Plus I don't have any contacts in Russia, so getting someone to help me turn it into a shooting war would be tricky.

I feel like these are both excuses and you have already considered a way to Make This Happen but won't share.

There is no significant variation in 1st person from game to game. If one doesn't like the blinders-on feeling, floating hands, guns on one's field of view 100% of the time and shooting at an angle, etc. etc. etc., the games subject matter doesn't matter much, because the game experience will be unpleasant if one has to play it through those conditions.

As the nickname implies, System Shock is my favorite game of all time, and it was revolutionary when it was released 25 years ago, but today, I wouldn't be able to play it. I think the last 1st person game I played that I enjoyed was Deus Ex, but even then, the blinders-on feeling had started to bother me.

We already know CP2077 is not going to have floating hands and guns in one's field of view 100% of the time. The whole segment from V waking in her apartment, through the meeting with Jackie and Dexter the field of view has neither of these.
The gun comes out briefly during the meeting with Vic, the ripper dock but then it is not seen again until V draws it on Royce.

To me, this would tend to suggest that CP2077 is not just another first person game with the things you have said. Sure, it is hard to avoid the 'blinders on' feeling but those other things that bother some people about first person games can, and have been avoided in other titles. Even Fallout 4's FPV avoided having the gun in view all the time by giving a toggle to lower your weapon.

Last edited:
We already know CP2077 is not going to have floating hands and guns in one's field of view 100% of the time. The whole segment from V waking in her apartment, through the meeting with Jackie and Dexter the field of view has neither of these.
The gun comes out briefly during the meeting with Vic, the ripper dock but then it is not seen again until V draws it on Royce.

To me, this would tend to suggest that CP2077 is not just another first person game with the things you have said. Sure, it is hard to avoid the 'blinders on' feeling but those other things that bother some people about first person games can, and have been avoided in other titles. Even Fallout 4's FPV avoided having the gun in view all the time by giving a toggle to lower your weapon.

Well, most of the time even with your weapon ready, you shouldn't have your hands in your FOV anyway.

Well, most of the time even with your weapon ready, you shouldn't have your hands in your FOV anyway.

It can be argued that would depend on the weapon, what people consider as a 'ready' position for the weapon and how you are holding it.

People who are big into Military Sim type games might argue that a weapon is not in a ready position if it is held down near your waist or hip. Heck, even people that watch American real life police shows will tell you that when an officer is ready to shoot someone their side arm or other weapon is for sure in their field of view and if it's a side arm his hand or hands, depending on situation are as well.

People with rl Military experience will also have a different concept of what constitutes a ready position for a firearm.

There would also be those gamers out there for whom not seeing the arms or hands at all would mess up their perception.

I'd love a "relaxed weapon" position by default, similar to ArmA or the mod for Fallout 4. Just that little change adds a lot of character to the game.

I'd love a "relaxed weapon" position by default, similar to ArmA or the mod for Fallout 4. Just that little change adds a lot of character to the game.

I'd also like to have a sense of the weapons not vanishing into a void when holstered or not in use.

I'd also like to have a sense of the weapons not vanishing into a void when holstered or not in use.

Another worthwhile consideration. Maybe have the character occasionally glance down or over their shoulder when holstering / slinging a weapon. Doesn't make much sense to do so while drawing it, obviously, but it could be a nice little detail to toss in if there's time. Maybe a great way to feel like combat is truly done.

Another worthwhile consideration. Maybe have the character occasionally glance down or over their shoulder when holstering / slinging a weapon. Doesn't make much sense to do so while drawing it, obviously, but it could be a nice little detail to toss in if there's time. Maybe a great way to feel like combat is truly done.

Or a simple animation of the jacket moving if the gun is tucked under it. Even including the weapons on the character when you are looking at the inventory if they are holstered rather than only when they are being held.

Last edited:
I've just started again TW3 after playing RDR2 and I must admit that now I'm really glad about the FPP decision for CP2077, even though I ALWAYS prefer TPP. I couldn't have "accepted" a game in 2020 with geralt's walking/running/jumping animations after seeing athur's, or (super short, like 0.5 seconds) black screen every time you speak with an NPC because the game needs to load textures and VO.

Don't get me wrong, TW3 is my second favourite game ever and in 2015 it was absolutely gorgeous (graphic still is now), even if its animations were already not as good as GTAV's, but in 2020 I would have wanted something more, much more.

Someone may say that in these years CDPR would have worked on that, I tend to agree, but rockstar has an "unlimited" budget and I believe only next gen games will let "normal" software houses reach such quality.

TPP Alien: Isolation.

Good example when FPP dramatically enhances experience and immersion.

Mm-hm. Some games rely on it. LIke the original Thief games. Having to peek around corners (it was one of the very first games to offer a "lean" mechanic, and it would only slightly increase your visibility.) Leaning against doors would let you hear what was on the other side more clearly. I remember spending many minutes pressed against the door, listening to the patterns of footsteps on the other side, memorizing patrols, figuring out what sort of flooring I'd have to deal with. It also made it possible to hide loot items in obscure, clever places. It was necessary for the player to able to find them on the highest difficulty. That wouldn't have been possible in TPP -- which Thief 3 proved, despite still being a cool game.

Seeing where an Alien walks because of TPP is terrible. Hiding and crawling around every corner, not knowing what to expect, is much more immersive.

I found it immersive.
In VR.

Without that it's just clunky, you fail things just because you cannot move your head/eyes normally and the FPP limitations gets in your way.

Will, at least, dialogues be in non-fp, like for instance in fallout 4? That much is unclear to me at the moment (haven't read the topic, though, not sure if it has been asked already). From the 48 minutes gameplay it really seems not.

Will, at least, dialogues be in non-fp, like for instance in fallout 4? That much is unclear to me at the moment (haven't read the topic, though, not sure if it has been asked already). From the 48 minutes gameplay it really seems not.
Some cutscenes will be in TPP (there are two short ones in the demo), but mostly it will be in FPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom