Cyberpunk 2077: The Perfect RPG

+
I'm fine with stats locking dialogue options (but I don't want to see those options at all, they should appear only if I can use them), I'm absolutely fine with stats influencing the gameplay (E.g if you have 7 STR you increase your melee damage by 70%), I'm just not fine with unrealistic stats: enemy is 6 levels higher than you, he becomes a bullet-sponge who one-shots you (TW3), you level up so that you can unlock a perk that gives you 15% more damage using sniper rifles (how???) or level gates.

What I would like to see in CP2077, based on infos released so far is 5 types of stats:

1) Strenght, intelligence, cool, tech, constitution, reflexes: you choose them during charachter creation given a certain amount of points (25ish) that you can distribute where you want and cannot upgrade unless by using cyberware (mechanical arms give you +2 STR). You can respec going to some genetic engeneering clinic but it's freaking expensive (so you can do it once or maybe twice and that's it). These stats influence your abilities, like STR influences melee DMG or how easily you handle very heavy weapons, COOL is like charisma, so your ablity to influence people and bonuses in street creds obtained, reflexes infuences lenght or effects of bullet time and so on. In this way you create a charachter that is never overpower: you can install cyberware upgrading each stat (coolness is also influenced by your clothing), but not too much or you'll get cyberpsychotic. You'll never get to 10/10 in each stat or it's possible but you get punished by some maluses realted to humanity loss. These are "soft-perks" (passive bonuses which influence your abilities and possibilities), "hard perks" (active abilities) are unlocked by "items": mantis blades, mechanical legs to jump higher (double jump in the demo :( ), fire DMG given by a flamethrower or flammable bullets, +50% DMG is obtained modding weaponsor using better bullets and so on.

2) skills you improve while using them: crafting, weapon handling etc. This could be affected by your inital stats: if you have 7/10 in TECH you get 70% more exp. points in crafting when creating new items/weapon mods. The higher is your crafting level, the better are things you craft. Same for hacking (the higher is your stat more time or more attempts you have).

3) weapons and armor stats: those are set for each type of weapon. A shotgun is a shotgun, DPS 90, recoil 20, a pistol has less DPS but less recoil. Those stats are set but can be upgrade via mods. Special unique weapons exist and have a different look (e.g. the first boss in the demo drops a big weapon which is picked up by jackie). Your stats don't influence DMG at all (how would they in real life?) except for heavy weapons which you can handle properly only if you are strong enough (vide supra)
armor stats: pretty much the same as weapons, nothing gated by levels. The trauma team vest protects you more than a normal jacket. I would add bullet proof jackets which provide a "disposable protection", they can absorb 1000 DMG, but then you need to buy/find a new one. An insulaed vest protects you from electrical DMG, another one from fire. Classical stuff.

4) street creds: reputation, simple as that. the more you gain the more known you are. You can unlock vendors (black market weapons and ripperdocs) and missions (if you are famous enough you can speak with important fixers and corpos). Maybe discounts. E.g. before getting contacted by dexter deshawn (or however it's spelled) you need to reach street cred level 5 and you do that by completing missions (and side missions), which would justify perfectly the open world mechanics. Better if it's classified with names more than levels. e.g. mr. nobody, known, famous, VIP.
I don't see any possible realistic perk related to that (someone could open my eyes, I'd accept it gladly) which seem to be in the game (last few seconds of the demo).

5) classical DMG stats, but those are in almost every game (elemental, physical, defense). No need for further explaination.

In this scenario I don't see any use for classical character levels since perks are gated by cyberware (which is gated by money and street creds) and missions are gated by street creds.

Enemies don't need a level on their head (which also breaks immersion), but your scanner could simply indicate how dangerous the NPC is (different color or just saying it as shown in the demo).

These are my hopes based on things shown in the demo or in interviews, but are all there. How could someone say that the game has no stats?

I think he's saying he dosen't want stats in dialogues, hidden or otherwise. Besides, those hidden/skill gated dialogue options rarely changed much if anything that couldn't be achieved through other means.

Yeah, in video game one can shoot his way out of any situation, that's almost a rule.
That doesn't mean there isn't people who wants to be able to do otherwise with their character.
Post automatically merged:

COOL is like charisma

I'm hoping you are right, but currently Mike Pondsmith clearly said the opposite (reason why I wrote:"Currently I hope that Mike Pondsmith once again said something false and that CDprojekt used the Cool stat as a mix of the different social stats. ").

These are my hopes based on things shown in the demo or in interviews, but are all there. How could someone say that the game has no stats?

From the demo there is COOL, but Mike Pondsmith said what he said, so that's why, at least in the social part of the game.

Last edited:
Yeah, in video game one can shoot his way out of any situation, that's almost a rule.
That doesn't mean there isn't people who wants to be able to do otherwise with their character.

Which is perfectly doable without stat gates. It's also what i would like but like i said, i'd take 2 or 3 diverging paths over 10 options with little to no effect overall any day.

I'm hoping you are right

I'm not. I really hope COOL is used the way it was in 2020 (or close by) with a decent mechanic built around it.

There were plenty of social skills in 2020 to put in good use. And I'm still hoping they get used with the "work-in-progress-subject-to-change-everything's-still-on-the-table" thing that got repeated at one time.

'm hoping you are right, but currently Mike Pondsmith clearly said the opposite (reason why I wrote:"Currently I hope that Mike Pondsmith once again said something false and that CDprojekt used the Cool stat as a mix of the different social stats. ").
what did he say?
I'm not. I really hope COOL is used the way it was in 2020 (or close by) with a decent mechanic built around it.

There were plenty of social skills in 2020 to put in good use. And I'm still hoping they get used with the "work-in-progress-subject-to-change-everything's-still-on-the-table" thing that got repeated at one time.
I'm absolutely not familiar with CP2020, could you explain, please?

I imagined that coolness was similar to the concept in real life, I'm wrong I guess. :)

Which is perfectly doable without stat gates.

Which would mean either auto success for everything you try to say (don't think one would use that solution) or the example I've already gave:
"Imagine that you wants to make a sharpshooter, but the game decide for you that your character cannot shoot straight, and there is no stat, no skill that you can improve to make you a better shoot, how would you feel? (The opposite would kinda works too).

Currently (well, based on what we saw in the demo anyway, hope it will change and that the social system just wasn't ready at that time) that's not different with dialogues if there is no character stats for social: you know that your character is a failure and that you can do nothing about it."

Last edited:
I'm fine with stats locking dialogue options (but I don't want to see those options at all, they should appear only if I can use them)

Actually, hiding dialogue is not a solution. Because existence of stat-based dialogue itself dilutes writer's intention so much.

You will know if you have played Witcher 3. The game has very carefully written dialogues making players feel inner conflict about choices. And also consequences were amazing.

It' so hard making meaningful choices considering all the stat-based dialogues sametime. my opinion may not right in the ideal view though, But quantity and quality never meet each other imo.

Last edited:

If, if every stat was there I would be delighted, but I don't think so (even more when seeing they actually wasted a stat slot by doubling the BODY stat).
It's more realist they put every social stats in COOL.

what did he say?

"Pondsmith also said that Cool isn’t just the Cyberpunk version of the more traditional RPG stat Charisma. “You can have a tremendous amount of cool and have very little charisma,” Pondsmith explained. Basically, there’s a difference between talking your way out of situations and just throwing off a vibe that commands respect. "

Keeping expectations low of course but I strongly believe that they're going to revolutionize again the game industry because they have something that I think most part of the companies don't have: "The advantage of the tools of their dispose and create something new from them."

That's why I love CDPR and all their work. They aim to make something new which I think most part of the companies doesn't want as well, plus, I can see they love what they do, they love creating games, it's not just about money. Nowadays, companies just want more money and more money and not having micro-transactions is one of the things we, players, value a lot.

Keeping expectations low of course but I strongly believe that they're going to revolutionize again the game industry because they have something that I think most part of the companies don't have: "The advantage of the tools of their dispose and create something new from them."

That's why I love CDPR and all their work. They aim to make something new which I think most part of the companies doesn't want as well, plus, I can see they love what they do, they love creating games, it's not just about money. Nowadays, companies just want more money and more money and not having micro-transactions is one of the things we, players, value a lot.

Neither do some people apparently, just give them a spreadsheat hidden behind a pretty picture and they'll call it the best game ever, "true" RPG

"Imagine that you wants to make a sharpshooter, but the game decide for you that your character cannot shoot straight, and there is no stat, no skill that you can improve to make you a better shoot, how would you feel? (The opposite would kinda works too).

Well then you're either wanting something unreasonable from the game or it's badly designed. A video game is not a PnP game where you can hash it out with your DM, It's restrictive by format. And i'm not saying choices should be auto succes or not have a degree of difficulty in their availability, but there are ways to make them so without stats and making them feel more interactive and engaging. Maybe depending on choice of cyberware? or if you did a scan of the area first? or spotted something while talking?

When was the last time CDPR revolutionized the industry? What did I miss?

"Pondsmith also said that Cool isn’t just the Cyberpunk version of the more traditional RPG stat Charisma. “You can have a tremendous amount of cool and have very little charisma,” Pondsmith explained. Basically, there’s a difference between talking your way out of situations and just throwing off a vibe that commands respect. "

Thanks. :) I'm curious to see how they implemented this concept. I personally fear to see a perk unlocked for each level in a classic gamey approach instead of a more realistic one, but I know that I'm a special kid.

Last edited:
just give them a spreadsheat hidden behind a pretty picture and they'll call it the best game ever

At least there’s the spreadseet. Most people just want the pretty picture to start jizzing uncotrollably.

I'm absolutely not familiar with CP2020, could you explain, please?

This is how COOL is explained:

This index measures how well the character stands up to stress, pressure, physical pain and/or torture. In determining your willingness to fight on despite wounds or your fighting ability under fire, Cool (CL) is essential. It is also the measure of how 'together' your character is and how tough he appears to others. Rockerboys and Fixers should always have a high Cool with Solos and Nomads having the highest of all.

Last edited:
At least there’s the spreadseet. Most people just want the pretty picture to start jizzing uncotrollably.

This is how COOL is explained:
thanks a lot! That's completely different from what I thought and I imagined those characteristics were under constitution which know looks just like "number of HPs". Oh, well, we'll see.

Hmmmm .... perfect RPG as compares to what we know about Cyberpunk ...

Character creator is very close to what I described as my ideal long ago (though with fewer lifepath options and roles). Life path that leads to new quest-lines. Facial pre-sets with some customization ... variety but limited enough allow for cinematic quality facial animations in TPP cut-scenes. Lots of style options. Somewhat fixed protagonist to help with narrative focus.

Story, quest design and Choices and Consequences they're saying all the right things, but it's hard to make a judgment without a pretty large sample size. One quest can be done well and the rest of a game be meh ... and we've only seen one so far. But again, they say a lot of the right things about choices affecting the narrative.

Character progression sounds closest to Skyrim of the big games in the last decade from what I can see (which was one of the strong points of that game). Skills level up as you use them, there are also perks that give additional bonuses. Skills fall into three main groupings (netrunner, techie, solo vs thief, mage, warrior). On top of this there is also a stat system which Skyrim doesn't have. I assume (there's that word) that depending on one's stats, one's ability to use certain tasks will be easier or harder ... or at least skills will be easier or harder to learn ... if not then there's not much point to having them. Lots of gear options including cyberware, wetware, clothing, guns, melee weapons, explosives, mech stuff like bots, meds, etc). Sounds good to me.

Combat plays like FPS where gear/character build/tactics/abilities have an impact on how one approaches encounters. Now obviously there will be options other than combat (so the game is much more than just a FPS), but the combat is mostly FPP and you shoot stuff (and can hit stuff in melee too ... but we haven't seen much of that). I would REALLY like it if there was a way to give real time orders to companions when they are with you. I would prefer not to have "use this ability now" stuff like Mass Effect Trilogy, but more like ME:A, where you can say go here, or attack that position, or defend this location, or sneak around and dont attack anything, but the minutia is left for the NPC to decide on their own depending on the situation.

Dialogue looks very good. As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of dice rolls determining dialogue success. That doesn't really feel like the character being more persuasive, but rather the mood swing of whatever NPC the player character is talking to. I would like it if in game choices effect available dialogue options (i.e. open new narrative paths), and would like it if higher stats or skills opened new dialogue options too. This is exactly what the dialogue system sounds like:

How many dialog options are visible at most at a time, and do stats and skills affect them in any way?

PW: It really depends as we have a very dynamic dialogue system. So you can have different dialogue options depending on the character you play. As an example, if I am now talking to you and you have a camera there and I notice I am being filmed, then maybe I would now look at the camera and another dialogue option would actually pop up there. The conversation would shift to the camera where I would ask "Oh am I being filmed?!" and when the conversation shifts back maybe another dialogue option would have appeared.

The quest, writing and cinematic teams are working really hard on these scenes and we're trying really hard to make them as dynamic as possible. Another example would be that if you go further into, let's say, being a netrunner and you have a lot of netrunner knowledge, then a new dialogue option might pop up. But usually we like to hide the numbers behind things like that so it feels more natural, so usually we would also not want to show the option to you if it's not available to you at that specific time. This is all something we're still toying around with so it is not final obviously.

Netrunning I haven't really heard/seen enough about it to even get my head around it yet. I'm really hoping that it's in depth, somewhat puzzle based, and dangerous (other netrunners and AI defenses trying to fry you).

Honestly the only thing I'm truly disappointed in so far is that there won't be an in depth companion system. Otherwise, I'm anywhere from content to excited about the designs we've heard about.

Last edited:
Another example would be that if you go further into, let's say, being a netrunner and you have a lot of netrunner knowledge, then a new dialogue option might pop up. But usually we like to hide the numbers behind things like that so it feels more natural, so usually we would also not want to show the option to you if it's not available to you at that specific time.
THIS. exactly how I like it.

Yes we could. Even for the umpteenth time, I don't mind. It just doesn't seem to go anywhere anymore (looking at the more recent past). Especially now that we know the baseline from which things are said to probably change a bit one way or another, for better or worse, (or not, nobody knows). Things are just as polarized as they ever were, where a little bit of discussion is had, but now one party (more than like the majority to whom the game is aimed for anyway) already has all they desired, and they aren't too willing to let go of it (I likely wouldn't either, if I was in that group) for a compromise that'd be harmful from their point of view. And not that that would even matter, the game isn't designed based on what we talk about here.

There's also only a handful of people actually interested in mechanics anyway, to the rest they are "peripheral" and "secondary" to the experience.
Yeah, but that's the only logical option, whether it's the umpteenth time or the billionth time. The alternative is to sit around and argue about the game's genre, which servers... what purpose, precisely? I'm not directing this at you specifically, I should point out.

I get your feelings. I shared them a while ago. But at this point, I've just taken a break and am not as involved in the discussions here anymore. I've just begun to focus on other games and let this slip further to the back of my mind.

When we have more gameplay to chew on, I'll be right back here to talk about it 24/7.

Hmmmm .... perfect RPG as compares to what we know about Cyberpunk ...

Character creator is very close to what I described as my ideal long ago (though with fewer lifepath options and roles). Life path that leads to new quest-lines. Facial pre-sets with some customization ... variety but limited enough allow for cinematic quality facial animations in TPP cut-scenes. Lots of style options.

Story, quest design and Choices and Consequences they're saying all the right things, but it's hard to make a judgment without a pretty large sample size. One quest can be done well and the rest of a game be meh ... and we've only seen one so far. But again, they say a lot of the right things about choices affecting the narrative.

Character progression sounds closest to Skyrim of the big games in the last decade from what I can see (which was one of the strong points of that game). Skills level up as you use them, there are also perks that give additional bonuses. Skills fall into three main groupings (netrunner, techie, solo vs thief, mage, warrior). On top of this there is also a stat system which Skyrim doesn't have. I assume (there's that word) that depending on one's stats, one's ability to use certain tasks will be easier or harder ... or at least skills will be easier or harder to learn ... if not then there's not much point to having them. Lots of gear options including cyberware, wetware, clothing, guns, melee weapons, explosives, mech stuff like bots, meds, etc). Sounds good to me.

Combat plays like FPS where gear/character build/tactics/abilities have an impact on how one approaches encounters. Now obviously there will be options other than combat (so the game is much more than just a FPS), but the combat is mostly FPP and you shoot stuff (and can hit stuff in melee too ... but we haven't seen much of that). I would REALLY like it if there was a way to give real time orders to companions when they are with you. I would prefer not to have "use this ability now" stuff like Mass Effect Trilogy, but more like ME:A, where you can say go here, or attack that position, or defend this location, or sneak around and dont attack anything, but the minutia is left for the NPC to decide on their own depending on the situation.

Dialogue looks very good. As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of dice rolls determining dialogue success. That doesn't really feel like the character being more persuasive, but rather the mood swing of whatever NPC the player character is talking to. I would like it if in game choices effect available dialogue options (i.e. open new narrative paths), and would like it if higher stats or skills opened new dialogue options too. This is exactly what the dialogue system sounds like:

Netrunning I haven't really heard/seen enough about it to even get my head around it yet. I'm really hoping that it's in depth, somewhat puzzle based, and dangerous (other netrunners and AI defenses trying to fry you).

Honestly the only thing I'm truly disappointed in so far is that there won't be an in depth companion system. Otherwise, I'm anywhere from content to excited about the designs we've heard about.

Hey, I like this. I might do a similar post.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's the only logical option, whether it's the umpteenth time or the billionth time. The alternative is to sit around and argue about the game's genre, which servers... what purpose, precisely? I'm not directing this at you specifically, I should point out.

I get your feelings. I shared them a while ago. But at this point, I've just taken a break and am not as involved in the discussions here anymore. Focusing on other games that I'm more certain of. I've just begun to focus on other games and let this slip further to the back of my mind.

When we have more gameplay to chew on, I'll be right back here to talk about it 24/7.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. There isn't much to talk about besides reiterating old and newer "grievances". The demo and the infodump have been pecked clean, feedback has been given several times.

I don't know what topics serve what purpose to discuss about, but I know I haven't put much effort in my postings in recent times. It's just burning time by underlining what ever it is one holds valuable when there's a situation that might call for it.

Top Bottom