Cyberpunk 2077: The Perfect RPG

+
Yeah, they are one of the few (with rockstar and sony, speaking only about BIG publishers, real AAA games) who respect people who buy their games. Others (EA, bethesda, ubisoft, activision) really look like they just want our money, no matter about the quality of their products. Microtransactions in single player games and cut-content DLCs. Disgusting.

They only see games as a source of money and not as a consumer view as well and that's why that companies get many players out of their games, because they don't do games because they like but because they want money.

I don't know if I could consider a revolution, but TW3 set the standards for open world games in 2015
Set standards for open world games? I don't recall what TW3 did that good in regards to open world itself to make it really stand out. In fact, aside from the story-related content (characters, quests, dialogues) I find TW series to be the standard of open world industry, rather than the standard setter.

I think the area where CDPR actually set new standards is secondary objectives. In most open-world games it's usually useless, most routineous and boring stuff that you usually do to accumulate resources, but in case of Witcher, I didn't want to miss a single thing.

I still wouldn't call it a revolution, but certainly higher standards.

To be fair, about 10 of the larger side quests in The Witcher 3 have actually been cut from the main story, which makes the average quality somewhat better than what was originally planned. Older open world games with good side quests also exist, for example the previous generation Fallouts. Of course, TW3 improved a lot on the production value, and at the same time more recent competition added more of the low quality quests.

You can count strict open world cRPGs with good/great side quests by fingers on one hand. Another question is how we define "open world". VtMB, Deus Ex/HR, Baldur's Gate 1-2, PST, Mass Effect series - are they open world?

Enough said.
Apparently not. Nothing of it has anything to do with game being an open world and as such it can't serve as an argument for TW3 setting the standards for open world games. If anything it shows how to do characters/quests/dialogues well*, but that's an entirely different category (which was what I tried to say).

* I doubt any of us wants the return of Dragon Age: Inquisition MMO-like side-quests.

Apparently not. Nothing of it has anything to do with game being an open world and as such it can't serve as an argument for TW3 setting the standards for open world games. If anything it shows how to do characters/quests/dialogues well*, but that's an entirely different category (which was what I tried to say).

* I doubt any of us wants the return of Dragon Age: Inquisition MMO-like side-quests.
Oh well, for me it does. If TW3 wasn't an open world game (not a sandbox), but a linear one, side quests would have been not that important, while in TW3 are probably the best part of the game. Take the narrative away from those and you have a lot of fetch quests, a mediocre combat system, old gen animations/enviromental interaction and excellent graphics and musics. TW3 goes from a masterpiece to just good. A confirmation of TW3 setting standards are all the open world RPGs that have come out in the last 3 years (in particular AC origins and odyssey) who created side quests according to TW3 standards.

Oh well, for me it does. If TW3 wasn't an open world game (not a sandbox), but a linear one, side quests would have been not that important, while in TW3 are probably the best part of the game. Take the narrative away from those and you have a lot of fetch quests, a mediocre combat system, old gen animations/enviromental interaction and excellent graphics and musics. TW3 goes from a masterpiece to just good. A confirmation of TW3 setting standards are all the open world RPGs that have come out in the last 3 years (in particular AC origins and odyssey) who created side quests according to TW3 standards.

So as I said: They revolutionize the industry, making other companies adopt the same strategies as CDPR.

If this game is as fun as ME2 and Witcher 3, which I think it will be, then that's all I really need. Those two games are by far my favorite RPGs.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that music is important and because it is in a "future modern" setting getting it right may be problematic because peoples tastes are quite subjective. Perhaps some way for the players to modify or influence the sound track somehow. Witcher 3 had the advantage of being able to use folk, indigenous & ? medieval music using "Percival" which is quite good and evokes the setting. But the cyberpunk setting is rather post modern and will involve a melody oi cultures. I quite like smashing pumpkins, Marilyn Manson , Placebo, Imagine Dragons etc. The decade is obvious and without a doubt other people will have valid more contemporary tastes and I wouldn't want to subject other people to my tastes. Perhaps the player can influence the soundtrack somehow? Perhaps in the games settings.

So far in the demo i seen a lot the FPS part while the RPG part was nearly absent.
And as much i loved witcher 3 i can consider it barely an RPG more an action adventure game with an amazing storyline and marvelous side quest.

I do think Cd projekt red still have to deliver a RPG true to his own definition and i doubt cyberpunk 2077 will be that title as well.

Set standards for open world games? I don't recall what TW3 did that good in regards to open world itself to make it really stand out. In fact, aside from the story-related content (characters, quests, dialogues) I find TW series to be the standard of open world industry, rather than the standard setter.
Yeah I think the real strength of the studio is in writing & non-linear quest design. They do a superb job at those things, which IMO are probably the most important parts of open-ish world narrative-based game design. Most other things, they have thus far iterated on and improved stuff from other places to serve their storytelling and quest design. It's this focus that has made their games as good as they are IMO.

Yeah I think the real strength of the studio is in writing & non-linear quest design.
True. However, some people do seem to confuse good writing with an actual gameplay mechanics and get carried away with their conclusions because of that. CP (the PnP version) is a system and I haven't seen CDPR being able to come up with a good system prior working on CP77.

It's this focus that has made their games as good as they are IMO.
A "good game" is going a bit too far, in my opinion. I'd rather call it a "good experience".

And it may be a problem:

Imagine that you wants to make a sharpshooter, but the game decide for you that your character cannot shoot straight, and there is no stat, no skill that you can improve to make you a better shoot, how would you feel? (The opposite would kinda works too).

Could be done like in Original Deus Ex. It took time to aim, but higher your skill was with that gun, the faster your aim narrowed down, something similar could be done in CP2077, More sway to your gun if your skill is low and easier aiming with higher skill. This also relies less on dice rolls for damage and if you hit the head you killed the guy. Unlike current CP2077 demo

Top Bottom