Martial Arts in 2077.

+
it is hard to decide which martial art but for one I am sure:

1- street fighting- core inherited from prisons- including training methods with limited support, low levels exponents relying on a moment of surprise, stealth attacks, targeting limited but sensitive areas, utilizing environment heavily, do not plan stamina, if proper martial artist survives first 2-3 seconds he or she should win (same investment into MA), 52 blocks on top practitioners

The others arts selected may represent most common cultures CP2077, rather then efficiency selection (which is environment dependent anyway)

Way of implementation:

I have been designing RPG system to capture martial arts for a while.

So here are some requirements that I am curious if someone shares:

- each martial art should allow personal style blend in execution (boxing has sluggers, movers, swarmers...), fluid or robotic? How much to invest to drills to build up muscle memory or rely on wide repertoir and adaptability (one trick pony? may work for a while)? Selection of complicated techniques offered to player should come up from preparation - training, values setting (shall I dodge if then attack hits my team mate? block, right!), but these are provided only on players request/input and at cost (less power etc.) when playing reactively .

- when playing proactively includes set up phase (cautious, less commitment) and selected technique full commitment - to players standards (like if you decide how much reserve dice to spend). Set up can be skipped but it is risky.

- system is like fractal, allows you to dig deep to break down the building elements of the art multiple levels down, this can be used so that if you learn one art you are probably training or broaden elements of the other art. "If I learn one thing how does it make me better in other areas?"

- system should be universal, same framework to cover other areas of the game

- should allow to be focused on what you are interested, rest is handed by the framework you have already set up anyway (by training, selection of art, values- preferences,). Allows unique experiences, outcomes, you may choose bad focus thou. For example as a karateka fighting a "mover boxer" when you are obsessed by fist conditioning and you choose to time fist clenching to get extra power on impact- well problem is to hit that oponent first :) so you end up bashing air heavily- bad choice of focus if your player character is not good at figuring out oponent(predicting etc).

- should allow making combos like recipies, but these must be drilled to be swift and powerful

- can trim the skills when higher pacing of fight is chosen, high level practitioners can sacrifice skill in order to execute technique faster (came from marksmanship problem where I could not resolve guy like Bob Munden- worth see). Each style MA and players should have it's own sensitivity.

- should have built- in emotion, morale system (taunt, threaten istead punchig etc.)

- there are quickly to learn external arts, and slowly learned martial arts with more potential latter on. Slow ones includes internal energy, starts with deep building elements. Graphically representable by position in diagram (something like a Jing Yang). Entire skill should have unique diagram by underlying desicions and experience- imagine your skill has a painting from which you can to a degree recognize what it is instead of deciphering tons of numbers.

Not all of them, but thaťs enough. :)

Last edited:
Kickboxing
Japanese Jiujitsu
Shaolin, esp. Tiger Palm
Wing Chun
Krav Maga

I think that to actually do fpp martial combat right is difficult. I'd like a system like KCD but different in a few ways: first of all, distance should matter more. Secondly, where you are--left, right, or center relative to the enemy, in addition to relative height (and the ground)--should matter. Thirdly, you should have to learn and time things, to be performed in branching sequences. There could be roughly fifty possible outcomes to sequences, variations included, and it would be enough to be a relatively full martial system. 80 would be more comprehensive. Each sequence should have it's own button presses, crosshair requirements, timing, etc., and have those things change a bit based on the opponent's speed and such.

Since that might not be in the cards, I would say that grapple, strike, deflect, with like ten animations each, might be enough for empty-hand. Weapons should get their own stuff.

Last edited:
Boxing
Wing Chun

Because they're pretty straight forward and most techniques can be performed without the camera swirling around giving people headaches.
I saw people mention Capoeira.. Yea.. No.. Think Witcher 3 swordfighting in first-person

Boxing
Wing Chun

Because they're pretty straight forward and most techniques can be performed without the camera swirling around giving people headaches.
I saw people mention Capoeira.. Yea.. No.. Think Witcher 3 swordfighting in first-person

Would love it. No, really. I enjoy those camera-go-whee moments in games quite a bit. As long as I initiate it and I have a good idea what's going to happen.

Would love it. No, really. I enjoy those camera-go-whee moments in games quite a bit. As long as I initiate it and I have a good idea what's going to happen.

Fair enough. I guess some techniques like the jumping kick or sliding kick from Dying Light would be fine, but in the Witcher 3 you never knew what Geralt was going to do next. A horizontal slash, pirouette and an upward slash or a jumping pirouette and a downward slash. It was fast and flashy but it wouldn't translate well in first person. If they give us more control.. Maybe.

Something based on counter attacks\disarm I think would also be fitting here.

Last edited:
I'd love it if there were Doom-style glory kills in the game, where you are able to rip apart people's limbs and hit their head with it.

Fair enough. I guess some techniques like the jumping kick or sliding kick from Dying Light would be fine, but in the Witcher 3 you never knew what Geralt was going to do next. A horizontal slash, pirouette and an upward slash or a jumping pirouette and a downward slash. It was fast and flashy but it wouldn't translate well in first person. If they give us more control.. Maybe.

Something based on counter attacks\disarm I think would also be fitting here.
I hate this(n)
Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Nioh and Dragons dogma have a thousand times better system.

I hate this(n)
Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Nioh and Dragons dogma have a thousand times better system.

I don't hate it, it was mostly fun and satisfying but that's not the topic here. I only brought it up in lack of a better example of how a Capoeira style might look (lots of spinning/jumping)

to be honest I have never seen martial arts done successfully in a FPS, tho the best I would have too say is skyrim. I always liked the instant kill animations. at worst you get FPS power fantasy where your just taking guys down with a few punches.

Top Bottom