Sportmanship issues with a certain player demographic...

+
I know saying this is going to get me in trouble. Sorry in advance but I just felt like sharing.

I keep getting trolled by Asian players for no apparent reason. I would say about 30% of my games I'm being matched up with Chinese/Korean players and about half of those games, the player opposite deliberately lets the timer run down to near-zero on every single turn whilst taunting or just jolting the cursor around, before making their move at the last possible moment. This continues for the entire duration of the match. I have had similar experiences with other players, but I would say in all of those instances I had done something to actually earn that kind of salt (usually by badly messing up their big play) With the aforementioned players, it frequently begins in round 1 for no real reason at all. About 40% of these games are in casual as well, so it really doesnt make sense for either of us to be making the game boring/annoying.

Maybe my username phonetically corresponds to some kind of grave insult in Mandarin, I dont know.

I know saying this is going to get me in trouble. Sorry in advance but I just felt like sharing.

I keep getting trolled by Asian players for no apparent reason. I would say about 30% of my games I'm being matched up with Chinese/Korean players and about half of those games, the player opposite deliberately lets the timer run down to near-zero on every single turn whilst taunting or just jolting the cursor around, before making their move at the last possible moment. This continues for the entire duration of the match. I have had similar experiences with other players, but I would say in all of those instances I had done something to actually earn that kind of salt (usually by badly messing up their big play) With the aforementioned players, it frequently begins in round 1 for no real reason at all. About 40% of these games are in casual as well, so it really doesnt make sense for either of us to be making the game boring/annoying.

Maybe my username phonetically corresponds to some kind of grave insult in Mandarin, I dont know.

Were you playing Eithne Artifacts or Woodland Control? I have been known to 'well played' the sh*t out of anyone who plays those decks

Haha, if I did I wouldn't have any reason to question it. I'm only playing Nilfgaard witchers and NR Revenants. Said players are always either Eithne or Woodland ironically.

I have only noticed this in casual ironically. My assumption was they were just hoping I would forefeit? I don't know. I did not take noticed if the names represented a certain nationality

Based on my own experience, I rather doubt this is specific or unique to Asian players, so I strongly discourage leaping to -- potentially disrespectful -- generalising conclusions.

Some opponents always cut their internet wire when i scourge their big beast in round 3 and they have only 1 card left.
Yes.. they do that on purpose if no other problems occurred during the match.
But these are not asian.

By the way... you do assume they are asian cuz of their kanji names?

I've had this happened at least 3 times after HC. These types of issues could easily be preventable with proper reporting tools.

Based on my own experience, I rather doubt this is specific or unique to Asian players, so I strongly discourage leaping to -- potentially disrespectful -- generalising conclusions.

Yeah, I get it, but I'm not making any actual conclusions from this. I am just reporting my experience truthfully. It may be different to others.

Some opponents always cut their internet wire when i scourge their big beast in round 3 and they have only 1 card left.
Yes.. they do that on purpose if no other problems occurred during the match.
But these are not asian.

By the way... you do assume they are asian cuz of their kanji names?

To be honest, yes. It seems rational.
Post automatically merged:

I've had this happened at least 3 times after HC. These types of issues could easily be preventable with proper reporting tools.

Reporting tools kind of suck tbh. Angry players are just going to abuse it and then you're either going to have human moderators who are too swamped with complaints to figure out whats real and whats not, or an automated system thats going to suspend an innocent player based on something like a three-strike system when people get salty. Somewhere down the line I would like to see adjustments to the timer so the game is capable of acknowledging when a player is deliberately edging it and shortens it each time. At the moment that only happens if the player skips the whole turn.

Like someone else suggested, letting the timer run out a few times should result in an auto-forfeit. Hard to implement because in your case they actually play their card, but anyways - if it's possible to report these ridiculous behaviours, that would be the best way forward.

As an aside, I really find it childish and silly to employ these cheap tactics for whatever reason - because you're unhappy, because your opponent is playing some deck you hate, it's all the same. You are being ridiculous, and if it was up to me, repeated behaviour of this kind would get your account banned. I don't care how annoyed you are, how obnoxious your opponent's deck is...if you want to complain, come here and complain. Don't make another player's life miserable.

I've had the exact same issue, for no apparent reason and from round one.
My only counter to it, is to play quickly and put the pressure on them. Otherwise I just watch a video while playing and don't stress too much about it. But it can be very annoying I agree.

I only had this in ranked mind you, while a season is active I don't play casual.

I love when they play like that. So its either one of the 3 for me:
- More time for me to focus and calculate on my next play
- Can talk to wife between plays
- Can go out on the balcony for a smoke while playing

:D:D

I have used this tactic before also. Ive only used it in one particular circumstance and against 1 particular faction. The only reason ive done it is becuause i have felt helpless in the in the face of a mill deck several times. Theres no worse feeling than to know that i was out playing a person that is about to resort to the skummiest technique in the game. I hate the Nilfgard Mill.

I regularly run into the types of players described above, but only in the Arena.

On top of taunting and letting-the-timer-run-down practices, it seems like many of them are whales. In my last Arena run, I played against 4 of these types of players (losing to one) who all had 1) Usurper leaders and 2) way more gold cards than I usually see in the arena (one player literally played 20 gold cards in a single match).

1546320918795.png

In general, I wish there was something that could be done to curb player behavior for people who consistently let the timer run all the way down every single turn.

it seems like many of them are whales. In my last Arena run, I played against 4 of these types of players (losing to one) who all had 1) Usurper leaders and 2) way more gold cards than I usually see in the arena (one player literally played 20 gold cards in a single match).

The cards you get in the Arena are random and have nothing to do with your actual collection.

The cards you get in the Arena are random and have nothing to do with your actual collection.

Except that if you own the premium version, it will also appear as a premium in arena. Otherwise you just get the normal version. Not that it matters gameplay-wise, though.

I live in China, they play to win and don't give a $hit about fairness or rules of conduct. It's a cultural thing.

don't expect them to apologise.

meigunaxi

Well, are they doing anything outside the rule? No.

I think you should be blaming the game developers instead for not taking measures for preventing this issue. Like no taunting more than X times per round, or letting the timer run faster if you have fewer cards on hand.

Top Bottom