And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only been playing for three days. Don't have the experience of beta to spoil me, so from my perspective, the game is fantastic.

Man since you are new i understand the feeling, but i really wish you had played Gwent pre-midwinter so you could have seen Gwent in its prime.

Homecoming gives me the same feeling of disappointment I had with Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda. Neither were horrible games... but they were vastly inferior to the previous ones just like Homecoming. The difference is i can still go back and play Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effects. I can't play Gwent anymore because Homecoming overwrote it, I put 1000+ hours in and it's gone to the ether, and new players like yourself will never see the true potential the game had. Try to understand that's enough to make anyone a bit frustrated.

When you signed up for the beta, you accepted the terms of use, which includes the passage that Gwent can be shut down at any time with no refund possibility. Those were known risks. Now, we have Homecoming (which is better than shutting down Gwent). It might not be what you had hoped for, but you certainly aren't being tricked, nor robbed. Also, please realize that CDPR has given you full scrap value for your whole collection, while they just as easily could have reset your account, like they did with closed beta. You can say a lot of negative things about Homecoming, but you cannot deny that CDPR is one of the most generous, if not, the most generous game studio out there.

While I agree with most things that you state in your other post, you cannot tell me that you believe that the way the company handled the situation was professional or fair. I agree that they are in their legal right to do what they want if they believe it services the betterment of the game (we all know this), but after almost 2 years passed, after promises made to a community that gave support with engagement by playing and testing the game, giving feedback to the game and some even giving money to them, it is completely reasonable for us to feel betrayed. This game is in a way comparable to the case of Mighty No. 9’s Kickstarter.
  • We wanted this game because we wanted to be able to play a version of Witcher 3 Gwent with others.
  • They showed us what the game was going to be, we played it for more than a year(most of us loved it), a community was built around it that entrusted, supported and some even gave money to it because we believed and loved the project.
  • However, after releasing a letter stating that the game was “returning home” to the game we loved (seriously this oversight in naming is still baffling to me) they decided to shut communication off about the project (I cannot remember how many times poor Burza had to retract dates for info during the 6 month period), they decided way later that the only way to know about the game we are invested in was with snippets of info in an 80 – 100 page forum of questions in the Ask a Dev, then they release the first bit of surprising concrete info a month or so before release just so that a week or so later we are left to figure out during the Open PTR that the game we supported for them to deliver for almost 2 years was scrapped when 90% of it has changed to become something that seems on par with other games and seems to be made to satisfy another player base. It was redesigned to water-down, diminish or remove almost everything that made the other special and appealing to all of us.
  • Oh and to put the cherry on top, after 2 years of feedback and waiting for an official release: they tell us console players to wait, the official release is more of a beta, and to this day we have an incomplete game that is underperforming with slow speeds and crashes.
All of this is in their right, but how is any of it acceptable from this big a company? It doesn’t matter if this was an oversight because of the huge task they wanted to accomplish or if this was an intentional move to not tell us about the changes, it is still unacceptable. They bit off more than they could chew planning to deliver something better, we were left unsatisfied because this was not the game they promised from their initial statement (and it’s not in any way as good or polished), and now we have to abandon the project we loved because it’s not meant for us. As you state:
@RVG1926
Homecoming moved away from what gave Gwent its identity.

How can this be defended? and if this was the case, why didn't they mention it? Why didn't they tell us before? or even acknowledge it now? Why do they decide to brush off this fact? The letter didn't say that which we all know and you clearly state, that they are moving away from Gwent's identity.

In Noclip’s Warframe documentary the lead designer Scott McGregor talks about how people found an exploit that could be considered “game-breaking” by the team, but they decided to embrace it and adapt it to the game in a controllable way. He says “the community latches on to things for a certain reason.” I know these are significantly different games and the situations are different, but in Gwent most of the time it felt like the philosophy was the opposite, and now that is Homecoming. We latched on to a lot of things in Gwent, but instead of embracing what we wanted they smacked us in the hand and said “no that's not my vision,” Homecoming is... so I guess that's it?

Gwent was never meant to be a competitive CCG and that's the most important reason why it could never work have worked long term. There was not enough design space to make the game balanced. Some users might think there was, but they rarely look at the whole picture. Gwent would have worked for a while, but it would quickly collapse under the weight of multiple expansions. Homecoming, while trespassing into a new territory, still has potential to become something great; not Gwent, but still great, nonetheless.

I agree that "Gwent was never meant to be a competitive CCG," but I cannot comprehend why Homecoming has a better base for a game than Gwent (I don’t play CCGs so I don’t see it because of ignorance in those games, and based on the little I’ve learned, and on my knowledge on the board/card games I play, I don’t agree). However, I believe that including me, some of us didn't want a CCG. Gwent was a freaking awesome card game that could have been great for what it was, and it was that game we wanted to be expanded upon (similar to card games like maybe Star Realms or Smash Up). The Team deciding to ignore what we want (the community that supported them because we loved Gwent), deciding to disregard what the game is (its roots in a fantastic game like Condotierre based on bluffs, card advantage and management, taking away our ability for free flexible gameplay, taking its speed, its simplicity and elegance in deckbuilding, its incorporation of Witcher lore that wasn’t always perfect, but there was a cohesiveness to this world presented by the cards abilities and rules in Gwent that presented a full picture that felt deep) and its decision to fulfill an agenda that seems to want to bring another player base is wrong and shameful in my opinion, but that’s just me.

Sorry for so much text, needed to let some frustrations out. I guess now I’m ready to leave this game until they announce a physical Beta Gwent (ha ha ha) or until I finish my own. Peace, and much love to Burza.
RIP Kambi, Johnny, Ciri D ash and Skellige!

@apu11

I agree that the communication could have been handled better. I also agree that the 2 years of development has been a rocky road.

Players are upset because their (vision of) Gwent is gone. The devs were in a tough spot because Gwent wasn't working out, so they changed the game in hopes of invigorating it. In the process, CDPR had forgotten who their target audience was; their loyal fan-base.

And now? I don't know. Homecoming is here and it won't be going away. I just hope that CDPR manages to turn it into a fun and engaging game, even though it's no longer the Gwent the fan's fell in love with.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
@apu11

I agree that the communication could have been handled better. I also agree that the 2 years of development has been a rocky road.

Players are upset because their (vision of) Gwent is gone. The devs were in a tough spot because Gwent wasn't working out, so they changed the game in hopes of invigorating it. In the process, CDPR had forgotten who their target audience was; their loyal fan-base.

And now? I don't know. Homecoming is here and it won't be going away. I just hope that CDPR manages to turn it into a fun and engaging game, even though it's no longer the Gwent the fan's fell in love with.

can you please, please explain how "Gwent wasnt working out" ?! or better to say - Does anyone think that now its working out better than before..
devs totally forgot about us, forgot to ask what we really wanted. Sure, they can do whatever they want with their game, but surely cant ask us to follow their vision.. this whole situation about HC and Gwent is so so so weird, it just cant think for any reason to do such drastic changes, total overhaul after 2 years of developement..

There is another thing i find confusing....

Peace, and much love to Burza.

So... it is widely acknowledged (@4RM3D did just that) that the communication in Gwent has been a problem for a looong while. I've been criticizing the PR team since the end of CB when noone was talking about it. Last time I've checked, Burza is the one of the responsible of it, aint it?... So....?

it just cant think for any reason to do such drastic changes, total overhaul after 2 years of developement..

THIS is what i think they need to explain. This is why WE DESERVE A PROPER EXPLANATION and we havent had NONE. Why and for WHAT reasons have they decided to scrap a game what was being perfected for 2 years and turning into something COMPLETELY different?

@apu11

Sorry if I have to say this, but Gwent76 will be going away... but will it go away with its head held high or rather with its tail between its legs?
My money is on the last :/

I have to agree with Mashajab, how was it not working out? You had a great playerbase with Gwent BETA and now with Gwent76 its better? How? Playing against bots because actual players are missing and left?

All that aside as one wise man once said CDPR are simply wrong studio to make CCG, I would also add that we were wrong to urge them on.
I've heard that a few times and I find it interesting as to why some people believe it.

Perhaps they are not the right studio for CCG, perhaps they are inexperienced to make one, but in reality, they actually made a CCG that hundreds of thousands of people played and payed attention to. There seems to be a conflict between the reality and the statement which, to me, sounds like an excuse. Gwent beta didn't seem to be a product of coincidence or by chance or from inexperienced CCG developers. It was an enjoyable, solid game, that was in development. HC, also, as a CCG itself, isn't that bad of a game. It's polished, functioning, and enjoyable to some, but not to original players for reasons that have already said millions of times in this every thread.

Or maybe people mean that CDPR aren't experienced in managing a CCG or wrong to do so ...? Or CDPR doesn't know which direction they want to go with a CCG since it's not as cut and dry as an RPG? It seems to me that they knew what they were doing. They were even in the esport's scene and it didn't seem to pose any difficulty to find qualified players to participate in their monthly competitive events. With HC ..., I guess the overwhelming negativity from the community since the very first reveal video has struck the leadership into a babel that CDPR doesn't know how to contain or deal with the situation.

I guess someone being incompetent in certain area or something being incompatible to certain things is the most convenient and comfortable explanation in an effort to understand the ultimate question why HC even exists. That being said, at the end of the day, after all, it is CDPR's decision to make Gwent, to which many players willfully made money contribution to support the development, and later got turned into HC per their vision. I can't fathom it as a result of anyone else's urge or request but the dev's own doing. Also, I don't believe that CDPR wasn't thinking about a CCG before everyone else. From the look of in-game Gwent, the art, the unique mechanics such as weather, the board with 3 rows, the archetypes (although they were premature,) it is difficult for me to believe that the devs put all the work and effort and resources just for a mini side game for an RPG. I think it was a test to learn the players' reaction, and it was positive, so the birth of Gwent commenced.

can you please, please explain how "Gwent wasnt working out" ?! or better to say - Does anyone think that now its working out better than before..
I have to agree with Mashajab, how was it not working out? You had a great playerbase with Gwent BETA and now with Gwent76 its better? How?

You guys (girls?) are mixing two things together: beta and Homecoming. The beta, on its own, needed to be "dealt with". The solution thereof is a separate discussion.

In beta, the player base was also steadily dropping (though I do not have the exact numbers) and the game became more stale than what was initially expected. Something had to be done and time was running out. This is not really disputable but the cause and the impact thereof are. The cause that Gwent was declining might have something to do with the direction taken by CDPR, like the Midwinter patch which was a failure. Or maybe it's due to Gwent's inherent problem of not being build as a CCG to begin with. The relevance and accuracy of this is up for discussion.

As for the negative impact, it must have been great. Because otherwise there wouldn't have been a reason to create Homecoming (and the risks that came with it), which was basically a reinvention of Gwent. What I want to know is how much impact did Thronebreaker have on Homecoming, or was it the other way around? That's the issue, we don't know. Maybe Thronebreaker became the main focus and that might have been a mistake.

As for the solution, called Homecoming, that's for everyone individually to decide whether it's an improvement overall. The feedback is mixed, though leaning towards the negative. It's not even that Homecoming is a bad game, but that it's taken CDPR too long to come to this, which isn't even what players wanted according to the feedback. I reckon that if Homecoming was the start of closed beta and if CDPR would have said that it's inspired by Gwent, the reactions would have been a lot better.

As for the negative impact, it must have been great. Because otherwise there wouldn't have been a reason to create Homecoming (and the risks that came with it), which was basically a reinvention of Gwent.

This is what really kills me though... All you have to do is look at twitch numbers and the total players on leaderboards to see Gwent had much healthier numbers in Beta. I remember when major streamers (like Swim, Lifecoach, Merchant) were streaming they always had 1,500+ people watching at the height of their streams. There were 30,000+ people watching the major tournaments. Now it's always like 600 people watching TOTAL between all streamers.

Leaderboards are the same, i don't remember ever seeing less than 150,000 on global in Beta. Right now there are only about 23,000 people on global (although new season started recently so I'm sure this number will increase but still... ).

If they are still concerned about "the negative impact of the game", then by your logic another reinvention of Gwent is needed now more than ever.

If they are still concerned about "the negative impact of the game", then by your logic another reinvention of Gwent is needed now more than ever.

Well, Homecoming was CDPR's solution answer. Whether or not it's a good one... is up for discussion. Either way, they cannot keep reinventing Gwent.

There is another thing i find confusing....

So... it is widely acknowledged (@4RM3D did just that) that the communication in Gwent has been a problem for a looong while. I've been criticizing the PR team since the end of CB when noone was talking about it. Last time I've checked, Burza is the one of the responsible of it, aint it?... So....?

I'm not saying the guy didn't commit mistakes during the HC silence. I remember him posting about how a weekly video series showing each faction was going to be delivered before release, yet this never came through. I also have to acknowledge that the brushing off of valid, yet hard or negative in nature, questions in the Ask a Dev is wrong, unprofessional and annoying, but he made a good job before and I give him credit because it's not an easy task for one person. On my understanding of his position, he is basically the messenger, and he has been found in the uncomfortable position to communicate bad news to us and to communicate the decisions from the Team to retract on certain things (Thronebreaker not coming to Steam, the dates for info, the decrease of videos and extra content being produced after Midwinter: which I believe happened because the Team wanted to create HC and abandon Gwent). While some of it may have been on him pulling an early trigger, I still believe this kind of decisions come from management and the Gwent Team changing plans and retracting on what they already told PR to tell us (like close to E3 where they said they wanted to focus on Cyberpunk even though they already officially stated that Gwent info was coming).

I give him the benefit of the doubt because this sort of decisions seems to be out of his hands, yet it still his job to communicate it to us. Also, I remember in a recent interview where he stated how the Ask a Dev used to inform us about HC was formed by him because the Gwent Team didn't want or didn't find it necessary to inform us. I think he has made a good job, and I don't believe the unacceptable way communication has been handled falls entirely on his shoulders. This sort of position is always attached to other factors in my opinion. For me the individual is not completely at fault yet this doesn't change my perspective on how communication has been handled by the team. This doesn't forgive the horrible communication decisions, the total disregard by the team on the initial project, and other factors, but since after next stream I won't be coming back to the Reddit and forums to read about this game (until they release the art for the new cards which I will save since the art is the only quality that has been constant during all of this.... if they ever do of course) I thought he deserved a small amount of appreciation for his work.

Last edited:
When they change the rows from 3 to 2 rows thats when gwent is no-longer "Gwent". Too change the main rule is like changing the game name.

When they change the rows from 3 to 2 rows thats when gwent is no-longer "Gwent". Too change the main rule is like changing the game name.

For me this was the game-breaking change too and I was immediately skeptic and vocal against it (as well as so many others) as soon as Burza said they were "thinking about it".

Either way, they cannot keep reinventing Gwent.

Yep... thats why I'm absolutely sure that there wont be a retraction to the real Gwent and that this fiasco will force CDPR to drop the ball in the next 6 to 12 months and leave HCGwent for good as a failed TB-side project. They've fked it up too much and sunk too much time and effort and would be best to just leave it.

Enough time has passed to leave something hated behind. Why not move on and leave it for others to enjoy. Surely, people here are intelligent enough to understand there is a fanbase to gwent the way it currently is.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a tongue-in-cheek theory in this thread as to why there was such a big change from Beta to Homecoming. Basically suggesting that it was because they weren't sure where to go with Gwent after Midwinter and thus chose to focus on Thronebreaker to play to their RPG and storytelling strengths, and ended up having to redesign Gwent to fit.

I still wonder if there's any truth in that, but I also wonder if making the whole Gwent project profitable was part of it. Perhaps they saw Thronebreaker as their best chance to successfully monetise Gwent? After all, surely there would be a huge Witcher 3 inspired market interested in another Witcher related RPG?

What a shame if Gwent's original characteristic gameplay was the price to pay to test the Thronebreaker as cash cow plan.

Incidentally, given the apparently poorer than expected Thronebreaker sales, maybe the powder / premiums debacle is just part of the fallout from Thronebreaker not being successful enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom