(unpopular?) opinion: not fully resetting gwent after the HC launch was a bad idea.

+
The only thing I am seeing is that them being flush with scraps is becoming a problem for the game and new players. This is probably too harsh, but maybe them leaving the new Gwent will be a positive effect in the long run.

Dude, beta players would be "flush with scrap" even if CDPR hadn't milled their entire collection. Players have had full collections for a long time now. How is that an issue?

The only actual issues with new players are starter decks and how the matchmaking works. Gwent has had issues with matchmaking since the beginning.

There is nothing positive about beta players leaving.

Last edited:
"probably" "I wager", so you dont know. What I am seeing is that beta players are not happy, for whatever reason which I do not care. The only thing I am seeing is that them being flush with scraps is becoming a problem for the game and new players. This is probably too harsh, but maybe them leaving the new Gwent will be a positive effect in the long run.

Yeah, I tend to put probably before a lot of statements :). Yes, it's to indicate I don't know with certainty.

Beta players being unhappy is a bit of a simplification. There are varying degrees of unhappy. Some quit playing and stick around the forums to hop on the bash HC bandwagon. I don't understand why one would cease playing a game and continue to bash it. It's their right to do so though. Others continue play but attempt to point out potential problem areas, concerns, etc. in hopes the game can be improved. One of these approaches is productive and one is not. Of course, the former is... probably bred out of frustration with the latter often not getting the desired effect.

I'd caution against letting the voice of some beta players become expanded to include them all. I'm sure there are some beta players ecstatic over HC. It's the best game in the universe with no flaws. A couple are out there somewhere. A few might be a bit of a stretch.

I wagered they decided upon the economy changes in advance because, well, it would be rather clever. Auto-mill the card collection of every player then turn around and make the economy changes. When they first announced the auto-mill approach I figured it was because it was an easy one. I still couldn't shake the thought there was a better way to handle it. Next the economy change announcement hit, complaints ensued and I couldn't help but think the plan was coming to fruition. Yeah, I'm that cynical :).

Keep in mind Gwent, and now HC, are "free to play". I cannot recall a single game with this tag where spending money didn't provide an edge. Some are more generous compared to others. A number also tend to feature second rate development. There should be no surprises here. If you want to play it for free as a new player you're going to be climbing up the hill both ways in the snow.

Again, I can sympathize with starting fresh. The starter decks are real winners. If a person has never played Gwent there will be growing pains. Where I do not agree is placing the blame here on beta players for keeping their investments. Improvements could be made to lessen the growing pains, no doubt. Resetting everything for those players isn't one of them. It's irrelevant at this point anyway because that ship has already sailed.

I wagered they decided upon the economy changes in advance because, well, it would be rather clever. Auto-mill the card collection of every player then turn around and make the economy changes. When they first announced the auto-mill approach I figured it was because it was an easy one. I still couldn't shake the thought there was a better way to handle it. Next the economy change announcement hit, complaints ensued and I couldn't help but think the plan was coming to fruition. Yeah, I'm that cynical :).

Keep in mind Gwent, and now HC, are "free to play". I cannot recall a single game with this tag where spending money didn't provide an edge. Some are more generous compared to others. A number also tend to feature second rate development. There should be no surprises here. If you want to play it for free as a new player you're going to be climbing up the hill both ways in the snow.
What really grinds my gears is that seeing these scrap rich beta players complaining about not having anything to spend scraps on...! Like what kind of complain is this?!

What really grinds my gears is that seeing these scrap rich beta players complaining about not having anything to spend scraps on...! Like what kind of complain is this?!

Most of those just reached a point that they complain for the sake of complain, since they are frustrated because CDPR doesn't bend to their pretensions, so just stopped playing and just hang around in the forums for whatever reasons.

Second is in HC we have less cards than we had in Gwent.

Yes, less cards, but those cost more scraps. It is one of the reasons for full mill value, I guess.
Post automatically merged:

Do you realize how giving beta players so much scrap has made the economy of the game unbalanced? So much that they had to go in and change how you can get premium cards?

Nah, the real reason of the change is CDPR's desire to make more money off cosmetic content (which is not the worst way to monetize a f2p game, mind you). Beta players having a lot of scraps just was a convenient occasion for the change.

Then, here's two cents:

- You can't blame the players for an "unbalanced economy". It's entirely CDPR's fault.
- Even if new players could craft premiums with scraps, would it do them any good? They need those scraps to build their card collections. I played in the open beta for 1.5 years and only started crafting premiums with scraps in HC, because there always was a better way to spend scraps: to try out new decks.

Last edited:
Most of those just reached a point that they complain for the sake of complain, since they are frustrated because CDPR doesn't bend to their pretensions, so just stopped playing and just hang around in the forums for whatever reasons.
i dont expect cdpr to bend, because they never listen.
and i still play casual with Crach Spears Abomination
cant wait for Sihil to be cheaper :D

cant wait for Sihil to be cheaper :D

I think they overnerfed it. With cooldown 2 it becomes 15 points card at the best case scenario. Yes, it's a lot for 11 provisions, but I believe in practice its value will be around 8-10 points.

You are asuming the game is a different one, when it's actually the same. This is not Gwent 2, is Gwent, Homecoming was a major update to the game, not the release of a new game. You can't just wipe the cards that people got not only by playtime but with cash, that's just wrong. Take your time, learn the mechanics, grind the game if you want to, and eventually you will have a decent collection, but asking for shortcuts sounds very selfish.

Well I'm assuming that because other than the name Gwent and it being a CCG literaly everything changed. Most importantly the cards themselves, some just stats, many their entire function. HC is more like a mod than an update. It uses the same assets (the artwork) but functions entirely different.

And I don't know what you mean by "asking for a shortcut". If anything I'm asking for the opposite.
Post automatically merged:

Likewise, they may be banking on new players having incentives to pay money so they don't have to be cannon fodder for months while relying on Peasant Militia, Wolf Packs and Bone Talismans.

Ideally the release of HC would have brought in enough new blood such that there would be enough instances of new players facing other new players. Instead of new players constantly running into fully fleshed out god tier decks. If the latter of the two is the case, and I'm not saying it is or is not, it's probably not a good sign.

That's pretty much the gist of my OP. If there's too few new players so that too often they have to go up against top tier decks most of them will drop Gwent fast. In any FTP game there's only a very small percentage willing to splurge hundreds or thousands of dollars to get ahead. That percentage doesn't even need to represent THAT many people for a FTP game to be profitable. Just having a 1000 of those kind of gamers can already make you millions. But seeing as Gwent has an estimate of less then 40k (semi-)active players globaly I doubt they were able to snare in a 1000 high rollers. And not having periodical releases of new cards does nothing towards exploiting the existing player base.

Last edited:
Top Bottom