Hopes for Character Creation

+
I do love me some freckles. I'm sure it could happen.

Dare I ask what haunts you about ME:A? I haven't played that yet.

for female V i want preset faces, I want the 48min gameplay face available without me having to click and drag nose and eyebrows to sculpt my perfect face that shit is annoying af. i also want 4 different body types; Athletic, Slim, Average, Voluptuous.

for male V i want tons of beard and stasch options. and dont let the beard grow over time thats annoying like RDR2 did just let me go to a barber to change it. body types; Athletic, Slim, Average, BEEFCAKE.

for female V i want preset faces, I want the 48min gameplay face available without me having to click and drag nose and eyebrows to sculpt my perfect face that shit is annoying af. i also want 4 different body types; Athletic, Slim, Average, Voluptuous.

for male V i want tons of beard and stasch options. and dont let the beard grow over time thats annoying like RDR2 did just let me go to a barber to change it. body types; Athletic, Slim, Average, BEEFCAKE.

I love your ideas and agree with all you posted but i might throw in sliders to adjust just on what end of the "Athletic, Slim, Average, Voluptuous " scale V is. Also i would like to be able to make changes to the preset faces.

I would definitely like variable body types. On a whole character creation should be either a simple list, as previously mentioned, or very in depth. DAI had an outwardly complex character creator, though I would quickly reach a point were I felt stymied, unable to create a characters as good looking as the NPCs.
Height options would of course be amazing though unlikely, especially in first person, but as long as we don't feel short (Skyrim) I'll survive.

I love your ideas and agree with all you posted but i might throw in sliders to adjust just on what end of the "Athletic, Slim, Average, Voluptuous " scale V is. Also i would like to be able to make changes to the preset faces.

problem with that is that u end up with something you're not happy with and then u see your character in a cutscene in an angle u never saw before and it doesn't look like what u wanted so you need to go back and make a new character and then once again its not what u wanted and on and on it goes. i had this problem in DA Inquisition albeit all the female characters were ugly on purpose and it drove me insane, it was only the second time i planned to play a female lead i usually play male and that was because all the female NPC characters looked like dogshit and i thought if i can't romance a hot chick i might as well create my own and that proved to be harder than 18 dimensional quantum mechanics. So i quit the game. also the combat and story was shit. i prefer presets cause then CDPR can polish every face and body to look perfect with the clothes we wear. reduces clipping as well. presets is the way to go imo.

I just want CDPR to remember an option for freckles. ME:A still haunts me.
You can actually learn quite a bit about their ideas for character creation from the demo. To summarize:

The demo continues on, and it is obvious that the player can choose to play as a male or a female.

Next the character creator takes us to a screen where we can make decisions about the player character’s background. The first and last name’s display “missing data” but the Character’s alias is “V.” Given that the devs constantly refer to both male and female protagonists as “V,” I think it’s a safe bet that “V” is what all the NPCs in the game are going to refer to the player as. It also appears that V’s birthday is set, and that (s)he will be 22-23 years old.

There are choices in the demo as to background for the character. First is the option of who V’s childhood hero is, either (a) rockerboy Johnny Silverhand, (b) solo Morgan Blackhand, or (c) corporate god Saburo Arasaka. Then the player can choose a key life event, either (a) death of a sibling, (b) ran away from home, or (c) first big kill. Finally, the player can choose why they have come to Night City from either (a) unfinished business, (b) ex-lover in town or (c) something to prove. CDPR claims these choices involving the character’s gender and background “affects your experience within the world.” (1) Given that there are no more arrows over or down, I would speculate that these nine options are all of the various backgrounds one can chose … as on subsequent screens, it’s obvious there is an arrow which indicates more options are available. Your chosen backstory unlocks specific sidequests from the off. (48) https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...reviews-thread.10970204/page-61#post-11136734

The next screen labeled “biometric scan” covers what I would refer to as the biological appearance of the character. The options at the top are face, hair, scars and other. While it is unclear what would fall within “other,” it is explicitly mentioned by the narrator that the player can choose the character’s “body type” … so that seems like at least part of it.

For now, we only get a look at the options for face. There are five facial presets, but seeing as there is an arrow to the right, it appears there are more that can be rotated through. Along with the presets there are options below to customize eyes, nose, mouth, jaws, ears and skin tone … with each option having 10 possible settings. There is also a selection for “color” (which I think means “eye color”) with at least 36 options. In total, that’s 96 possible variable selections just for facial details.

Now the screen rotates over to “appearance” which appears to be more of stylistic options rather than biological ones. The options at the top include style, clothes, makeup and piercings. We get a deeper look at style only here, which includes tattoo options (again the arrow to the right indicates there are more than five options), locations, colors and glow. Also, under style are cosmetic options such as eye mods, skin mods, surface wiring and bodily scars. There appear to be 83 total variables visible on this screen.

Finally we have the “biostats” page. The options are Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech and Cool. All of these stats other than Tech and Cool seem fairly self-explanatory. Mike Pondsmith told IGN “Cool isn’t just the Cyberpunk version of the more traditional RPG stat Charisma. ‘You can have a tremendous amount of cool and have very little charisma,’ Pondsmith explained. Basically, there’s a difference between talking your way out of situations and just throwing off a vibe that commands respect.” Pondsmith also said he believes it will also influence dialogue options, but didn’t share specific details on that. He spoke about the idea that people who might otherwise draw weapons on you when you walk in the door would not want to mess with a particularly cool character. (4) https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/14/e3-2018-cyberpunk-2077-has-a-cool-stat-heres-what-it-does

In the demo, the character has 25 stat points to spend. Interestingly, below the stat options are two choices, either “confirm” which starts the demo, or “edit additional details” which states “admin access required.” Whatever it is … it’s clear there are other options in the creator that were not shown off in the demo.

The narrator says “you’ll notice we didn’t pick a class. Cyberpunk 2077 features a fluid class system, and you’ll be able to modify your class throughout the game.” This class system has been discussed in a few different places.

Miles Tost told CEREALKILLERZ “So basically our idea is that, instead of having just one class the player will be able to choose a mixture of abilities that fall into archetypes. We’re designing levels so that the player can be either a strong solo, a fast solo, a netrunner or a techie. And we are designing abilities around these archetypes. But the player will be able to combine any of these to make their own class.” (5)

When asked about the character’s “skill tree” Phillip Weber told community member Kinley “The actual shape of skill progression is still something that is in full development, what we know is that there are the 3 directions that you can take. The Solo direction, the Netrunner direction and the Techie direction. Compared to the Witcher we have much more freedom on what these skills can do and how varied they can be, in Witcher 3 all the skills had to make sense to what Geralt, a witcher, can do. Having this freedom also means that now we can solve quests in many more different ways.” (6) https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...om-2018-edition.10979804/page-2#post-11096951

CDPR’s Cyberpunk 2077 Twitter Account summarized the stats and skills progression systems this way: “We have Attributes like STR, REF etc. which can be raised by leveling up and installing body cyberware; Skills, raised by successfully performing actions (Hacking, Crafting, Short Guns, Long Guns etc.); [&] Perks unlocked with both Street Cred and XP.” (7)
Maciej Pietra told fandom “There will be many different abilities and because of the fluid class system, you can mix and match them. So, if you want to spend a few points in [the hacker style] Netrunning skill tree, or some as a techy, this is a good choice. This will help you if say, you want enemy turrets to be standing still when you run into the enemy [base]. Or you can spend some points in the solo playstyle if you want access to a particular weapon, etc, so obviously, you’ll be able to mix and match those and create your own unique playstyle.” (2)

This will never happen, but it would be pretty cool if we could upload a picture of ourselves and have the game scan it and create an in game face that resembles us. Something like Face ID.

This will never happen, but it would be pretty cool if we could upload a picture of ourselves and have the game scan it and create an in game face that resembles us. Something like Face ID.

didnt one of the fight nights do that. it scanned your face using the kinect or something. ya its a cool tech but i doubt it would look all that good in the game.

I want there to be body customization like in games
images (3).jpeg
or saints row
images (4).jpeg

Stuff like is good examples of character creation and CD project red should look at them for how to make characters.

navigating all of that would be a nightmare. im still against any sliders.

IF we get sliders I have another suggestion. That is that there are going to be numerous or i would say near infinite amount of permutations, can each permutation get a code so when we all share our Vs we can also share the code and we can input that code and get eachothers Vs. it would be a much better technique than screen saving all the slider positions which is a nightmare.

IF we get sliders I have another suggestion. That is that there are going to be numerous or i would say near infinite amount of permutations, can each permutation get a code so when we all share our Vs we can also share the code and we can input that code and get eachothers Vs. it would be a much better technique than screen saving all the slider positions which is a nightmare.

I don't understand why you hate sliders so much. You have to have preset faces in order to use sliders. So... we all win. You get your preset faces and we get sliders. Just because the sliders (or any other adjustment tools) are there, it doesn't mean you have to use them.

I don't understand why you hate sliders so much. You have to have preset faces in order to use sliders. So... we all win. You get your preset faces and we get sliders. Just because the sliders (or any other adjustment tools) are there, it doesn't mean you have to use them.

because a predetermined face always has more polish than sliders. use mass effect as an example. commander shephards default face had much higher textures than the slider faces it was ridiculous. i just think preset is better.

because a predetermined face always has more polish than sliders. use mass effect as an example. commander shephards default face had much higher textures than the slider faces it was ridiculous. i just think preset is better.

At least you could agree with boob sliders ;)

CP2077 custom character screen.png

A quick checkup from the demo later...

So this doesn't look like sliders, but rather preset shape and sizes for the nose, mouth, etc. Which is probably what it ought to be anyway, given that the game is FPP and we'll only see our custom characters in cutscenes and the loadout menus. And I much prefer this than fiddling with sliders.

Given that this demo is a work in progess, I'd say it's more than likely we'll get something more than just this. The big thing I see missing is height adjustment. It could be in there and the demo just didn't highlight it, but I doubt that height would be thrown in on that "other" tab. I also wonder if we'll all have the same body type, or if there's going to be any ability to adjust one's weight too. (and of course our precious boob sliders!)

View attachment 10988002

A quick checkup from the demo later...

So this doesn't look like sliders, but rather preset shape and sizes for the nose, mouth, etc. Which is probably what it ought to be anyway, given that the game is FPP and we'll only see our custom characters in cutscenes and the loadout menus. And I much prefer this than fiddling with sliders.

Given that this demo is a work in progess, I'd say it's more than likely we'll get something more than just this. The big thing I see missing is height adjustment. It could be in there and the demo just didn't highlight it, but I doubt that height would be thrown in on that "other" tab. I also wonder if we'll all have the same body type, or if there's going to be any ability to adjust one's weight too. (and of course our precious boob sliders!)

Would height be difficult for cut scenes though? Like... V and another character look at each other, but your character was made shorter than original V... would the scene then look weird? Or is that an easy adjustment?

I do love me some freckles. I'm sure it could happen.

Dare I ask what haunts you about ME:A? I haven't played that yet.

CC was REALLY bad when it first came out. There was no option for pale skin or freckles (They had to patch it in) and everyone looked hideous lol (except the default male character).

I don't normally watch PewDiePie, but this pretty much sums it up:

Ahhh! I'm the opposite. I really like the CC in Dragon Age Inquisition. You can make your character truly unique with sliders (Why do you need to copy other people?! Use your imagination). I noticed in the demo it's all presets. I hope that changes or else I feel like it's gunna be underwhelming. Like yeah, I get it- it's FPP, but you'll still be able to see your character everywhere!

If we're going to see our char naked... hum... may we get some "underpants beard" options too ? for both chars, of course.

Would height be difficult for cut scenes though? Like... V and another character look at each other, but your character was made shorter than original V... would the scene then look weird? Or is that an easy adjustment?

I don't imagine this would be too much of an issue as I doubt we can make V extremely tall or extremely small anyway; I'm thinking some modest height differences, and maybe some kind of boost if you put V in heels or something. Maybe it is an easy adjustment? They are pretty good at making NPCs' eyes follow your character in those non-cutscene cutscenes. It all would depend on what kind of cutscenes are in store for us.

Ahhh! I'm the opposite. I really like the CC in Dragon Age Inquisition. You can make your character truly unique with sliders (Why do you need to copy other people?! Use your imagination). I noticed in the demo it's all presets. I hope that changes or else I feel like it's gunna be underwhelming. Like yeah, I get it- it's FPP, but you'll still be able to see your character everywhere!

You don't need sliders to mkae your character unique. Just in the Nose, Mouth, Ears, and Jaw options alone there are at least 1000 combinations (assuming my math is correct, and it probably isn't) I think this works for the game, especially for it being in FPP. Those of us who want to customize our characters can and have more than enough to play with, and those of don't care as it is FPP don't feel they have to spend forever on the CC page. Happy middle ground maybe?

Top Bottom