Suggestion: Remove the row card limit

+
Now with Homecoming:
- There are only two rows instead of three.
- Units' abilities are row-specific.
- Units have reach limitations.

This does not work well with a row card limit. Sometimes cards cannot be properly played because of this. Maybe it's not a very frequent issue right now, but that's most likely due to current (too) high removal.

In addition, it limits deck building and possible new card abilities/archetypes. For example, a melee-heavy swarm deck is just not viable.

For the above reasons, the suggestion is to remove the row card limit.

Now with Homecoming:
- There are only two rows instead of three.
- Units' abilities are row-specific.
- Units have reach limitations.

This does not work well with a row card limit. Sometimes cards cannot be properly played because of this. Maybe it's not a very frequent issue right now, but that's most likely due to current (too) high removal.

In addition, it limits deck building and possible new card abilities/archetypes. For example, a melee-heavy swarm deck is just not viable.

For the above reasons, the suggestion is to remove the row card limit.

Could you eslaborate further in which situations the row limit is an issue? Your examples seemed a bit generic.

Do you ever saw one game, where it was relevant?
Could you eslaborate further in which situations the row limit is an issue? Your examples seemed a bit generic.

Sure, I had this a few times with Keadweni Revenants. The row was simply full, also with a spy from my opponent. And then you cannot play or have to choose what to play: use your Revenant, or leave the spot open for that card that needs to go on the Melee row. Either way, you miss out on points.

I assume Arachas Queen runs into this sometimes as well. What's the purpose of this limit?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Remember they removed (most) tutors, so its hard to put many units on board on a single round.

And the 9 slot limit is there for good AND bad - just check how powerful row boosting/damaging is on a full row, imagine if there was no limit.

And not only have i had full row problems, i've been on situations where both rows were full (i was playing Arachas, enemy was spies... yeah) Not fun, when you still have 2 powerful units on hand that would give you the win and they get auto discarded as soon as you click them. But with that type of decks, you need to consider that possibility and play around it, its definitely achievable.

And the 9 slot limit is there for good AND bad - just check how powerful row boosting/damaging is on a full row, imagine if there was no limit.
That's easily fixed. For example Commander's Horn boosts only 5 units and the same can be done for other row boosting effects. Lacerate would be very strong as well.

And not only have i had full row problems, i've been on situations where both rows were full (i was playing Arachas, enemy was spies... yeah) Not fun, when you still have 2 powerful units on hand that would give you the win and they get auto discarded as soon as you click them. But with that type of decks, you need to consider that possibility and play around it, its definitely achievable.
Like you wrote, it's not fun and that's my main issue. It's limiting your success because without the card limit, you would have more points.

DRK3

Forum veteran
That's easily fixed. For example Commander's Horn boosts only 5 units and the same can be done for other row boosting effects. Lacerate would be very strong as well.

Like you wrote, it's not fun and that's my main issue. It's limiting your success because without the card limit, you would have more points.

Its not fun, but necessary, for balancing issues. At least that's how i feel. And its usually not a problem for most decks, its only a big problem for arachas decks, and can be a problem in 2 other decks:

NR revenants and SK Queensguards, which can generate 1 new unit every turn and fill a row on a long turn. Solution? Distribute them on both rows. And if you have to avoid creating one more to have space for a card in your hand, it probably means the game is going your way and you have to worry with this new issue.

Its not fun, but necessary, for balancing issues. At least that's how i feel.
Why do you feel a row card limit is needed for balancing? Another thing is boosting units like crazy. Should there be a boost limit as well?

Believe it or not I've managed to not only run into this issue but fill out both rows with a card to spare. Poor Ruehin had nowhere to go :).

I don't see a balance issue with removing the row cap provided certain cards were changed around it. As an example, caps on row targeted cards and perhaps on snowball cards. Granted, for the snowball cards it may not matter as usually getting an entire board filled with them is a real problem unless a certain Gimpy is around to handle it.

On the flip side..... There are plenty of valid arguments against it getting changed.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Why do you feel a row card limit is needed for balancing? Another thing is boosting units like crazy. Should there be a boost limit as well?

Well, they say an image is worth a thousands worth, so: (its from closed beta, but shows what can happen without row limits)

Mage Power CB trim.jpg

^ And that is why I don't want the row limit removed.

Yes, Germain takes up over half the melee row on his own, which I could see being an issue if playing a swarm deck (what swarms these days? Arachas Queen decks, I suppose?). Still, the limit is needed IMO -- perhaps it could be upped slightly, but not completely removed.

Well, they say an image is worth a thousands worth, so: (its from closed beta, but shows what can happen without row limits)

View attachment 10988740
Good lord, I have not looked at beta gwent in awhile and honestly, for all the shade that got thrown at the boards and the new art design... It really is an upgrade! I mean just purely based on ascetics the flat lighting, tiny postage stamp cards and large section of even that small space covered in numbers and banners and markers for effects...

I was wistfully thinking back to the 'good old days' just this morning, but man, having had time to adjust to the new style it really is night and day taking off the rose tinted glasses...

I am so sorry for all the petty gripes I made back when HC was availed Gwent art team, y'all did fine work!

Lol, I see your point, but it really only is a visual issue then? I don't think it can be that extreme anymore in HC.

^ And that is why I don't want the row limit removed.

Yes, Germain takes up over half the melee row on his own, which I could see being an issue if playing a swarm deck (what swarms these days? Arachas Queen decks, I suppose?). Still, the limit is needed IMO -- perhaps it could be upped slightly, but not completely removed.
It doesn't make sense to have swarm units and a row card limit. It's simply unfair to limit one specific way of points generation, because that is what it really does.

Good lord, I have not looked at beta gwent in awhile and honestly, for all the shade that got thrown at the boards and the new art design... It really is an upgrade! I mean just purely based on ascetics the flat lighting, tiny postage stamp cards and large section of even that small space covered in numbers and banners and markers for effects...

I was wistfully thinking back to the 'good old days' just this morning, but man, having had time to adjust to the new style it really is night and day taking off the rose tinted glasses...

I am so sorry for all the petty gripes I made back when HC was availed Gwent art team, y'all did fine work!
I miss this blant design of beta. Simple but good

DRK3

Forum veteran

Based on the aesthetic changes, i can see your point. But me personally, i give more importance to functionality, and i prefer the old style for so many reasons: 1st and most important, it was so much faster to put a card and do actions on the board; then there's the hand display, where i could easily see all cards - with the new system, when i have near 10 cards, some of them i can only see like 25% of the picture, luckily i already got them all memorized, but it sucks having to highlight a card in your own hand to see what it is.
And i still dont like these 3D Leader models, i would rather have the beautiful card art.

Just had a game where I would have easily won if there was no row limit. The opponent made his Slyzard immune with Eredin. I don't know how it can be ok to make any engine immune, but that's another topic. An 80+ Slyzard is apparently ok, no limit there, but more than 9 units on a row is not. Two rows, a row card limit and a reach of 2 for Kaedweni Revenant. Absolutely ridiculous. Nice recipe for how to kill an archetype. It is simply unfair. Fix this please, remove the row limit!

Edit: And at the least, remove the reach for Keadweni Revenant!

Last edited:
Top Bottom