How long or short do you think the advertising for CP2077 will be ?

+
When CDPR announce a release date do you think it will a long or short advertising campaign ? All of us here know about CP but being a new IP do you think they will allow more time to teach the gaming public all about it . Or do you think everyone knows CP so CDPR will have a short campaign ?
Post automatically merged:

My guess would be a long advertising campaign to showcase CP2077 to more of an Audience .

Last edited:
im not aure how long it will be but im hoping they dont "hurt themselves" with the long awaiting hype and not much info to us all.... i hate for them to get us as hyped as we are for it all to die down because we are "uninformed" on progress and all we are told is "when its ready"

ill vote for short one. New IP and this kind of games arent exactly popular in game industry, Matrix, Deus Ex, that is it? Hmm. new Prey was "darkish" but not definitely Cyberpunk. So seems kinda risky to put lots of money into marketting, they are entering into unknown territory. I cant stop thinking this is transmedia IP. Put some hot chicks there and try to get movie deal down the line, that is, who knows maybe this IP surprises us all and its going to be huge lift off and they manage to sell more and more every sequel. Yeah, this genre needs a lift off before they can think bigger marketting moves imho.

If the game is coming this year, then in some sense it is both short and long. I mean, with a Q4 release date announcement and pre-orders starting from E3 2019, it would be very similar to Fallout 4 and thus "short", but the trailer and gameplay demo from 2018 already served to create interest in the IP, which make it "long". By June, the community could be very impatient already for Cyberpunk news, so I can imagine a surprise full reveal and confirmation of launch in a few months would quickly drive up the hype and pre-orders. Then again, it is very well possible that the current silence is simply because the release will be in 2020, and it is not part of some clever marketing strategy.

ill vote for short one. New IP and this kind of games arent exactly popular in game industry, Matrix, Deus Ex, that is it? Hmm. new Prey was "darkish" but not definitely Cyberpunk. So seems kinda risky to put lots of money into marketting, they are entering into unknown territory.

I do not think they will be skimping on the marketing, for The Witcher 3, the total budget was split roughly equally with development, and I recall in an old interview the CEO said they expect Cyberpunk 2077 to sell even better. Which makes sense given that the game probably also cost more to develop with the expanded staff. So, I doubt the company would want to let it fail because of being ignored by the audience.

I
I do not think they will be skimping on the marketing, for The Witcher 3, the total budget was split roughly equally with development, and I recall in an old interview the CEO said they expect Cyberpunk 2077 to sell even better. Which makes sense given that the game probably also cost more to develop with the expanded staff. So, I doubt the company would want to let it fail because of being ignored by the audience.

Hmm, Witcher was third game of the series and Fantasy is massive in game industry, so of course they marketted it, but this is totally different kind of series, I dont mind if they burn money into marketting but thats not how these gaming companies operate, they have to see something in order to make big bets or invest more, or even then sometimes they dont care like Fallout 76, they knwe they can put some unfinished crap on the market and get away with it.

Speaking of marketting I cant wait to see GTA6's hype if they even put 5% of the profit into marketting its going be one hell of a marketting what game industry has never seen before.

Last edited:
By June, the community could be very impatient already for Cyberpunk news, so I can imagine a surprise full reveal and confirmation of launch in a few months would quickly drive up the hype and pre-orders. Then again, it is very well possible that the current silence is simply because the release will be in 2020, and it is not part of some clever marketing strategy.
i think this is pretty spot on.. we really havent had any news apart from " when its ready" and i think peoples hype is going to die down, simply from not hearing anything

Hmm, Witcher was third game of the series and Fantasy is massive in game industry, so of course they marketted it, but this is totally different kind of series, I dont mind if they burn money into marketting but thats not how these gaming companies operate

In all likelihood they have already spent more money on the development than on that of any of the previous games, and as I noted before, CP2077 is expected by the company to outsell TW3, it is the most ambitious project by CDPR. It would not make business sense after all the effort to let the game fail only because of the lack of marketing. There should be enough budget from Witcher 3 sales to be able to afford spending whatever is needed for the best return on investment. Cyberpunk being a "new" IP only makes it more important to communicate to the potential audience that it is indeed a game they want to play. But I do not think the modern city setting instead of fantasy is a real problem by itself, while I can very well see TW3 being helped by the success of Skyrim, CP2077 could also be a "better GTA V" in a similar way, while still being original with the cyberpunk aspect.

i think this is pretty spot on.. we really havent had any news apart from " when its ready" and i think peoples hype is going to die down, simply from not hearing anything

What I meant is actually that finally getting long awaited news after 9 months of silence could quickly create hype again, similarly to how Fallout 4 was announced at E3 2015 with no previous information other than a teaser a couple weeks before, and then released in only 5 months. But this works only with a "known" IP where a release is highly anticipated, so the 2018 part of Cyberpunk's campaign might have served to create the widespread interest in the franchise.

Last edited:
In all likelihood they have already spent more money on the development than on that of any of the previous games, and as I noted before, CP2077 is expected by the company to outsell TW3, it is the most ambitious project by CDPR. It would not make business sense after all the effort to let the game fail only because of the lack of marketing. There should be enough budget from Witcher 3 sales to be able to afford spending whatever is needed for the best return on investment. Cyberpunk being a "new" IP only makes it more important to communicate to the potential audience that it is indeed a game they want to play. But I do not think the modern city setting instead of fantasy is a real problem by itself, while I can very well see TW3 being helped by the success of Skyrim, CP2077 could also be a "better GTA V" in a similar way, while still being original with the cyberpunk aspect.

No-one will link Cyberpunk 2077 to GTA5. Deus Ex is closest one. We will see what kind of company they are, if they are ready to go guns blazing with brand new IP. Cant say it has happened many times in game industry, there was a few MMORPGs what had massive marketting budget behind them. Usually they trust in sequel plan instead of marketting, etc. GTA/Call of Duty/Battlefield/Elder Scroll/Final Fantasy/Ubisoft games, the list is long, etc, series are gaming companies dream, long history with multiple games and they grow bigger and bigger every time new game comes.

No-one will link Cyberpunk 2077 to GTA5.

I recall initial reactions to the E3 2018 trailer and the demo actually included criticism for the game looking like a "GTA clone". It might not be a fair criticism, just like The Witcher 3 is only superficially a "Skyrim clone", but the first impression is still important to people who want something similar to those games.

In any case, I do not really understand why CP2077 keeps getting treated as if it was some super niche small indie production, comments from both CDPR and market analysts indicate the game should sell in the range of tens of millions of copies over its lifetime, so I would expect the budget (both development and marketing) to be allocated according to that target. I also remember an interview where it was said that CDPR is impressed by Rockstar's approach to development, that they are not afraid to spend more if they know it will lead to even greater success.

10 mill is nothing, its only 3 mill per platform. Do you know best games sell over 100 mill? So, you are kinda looking at niche market if they aim for 10 mill, also its how many you get at full price. You get 10 mill by selling like 1-2mill at launch, easy cake. 500k or less are starting to be fails generally.

Im not going to argue more, I would make this more cinematic, if things start to go south so can choose transmedia path for the series and lets now forget mobiles.

Btw, Witcher series's lifetime sales are at 33 mill, sure its nice number but not so nice. They have started to make name for themselves.

Last edited:
10 mill is nothing, its only 3 mill per platform

I actually said tens of millions, meaning 20 million or more, which is approximately what The Witcher 3 already sold (it still sells very well too, so the number is not final), and the expectation for CP2077 is to do even better. That is not small for a single player AAA game, surely GTA V might be near 100 million, but it is one of the commercially most successful titles ever, and it was released on more than one generation of consoles. Very few get close to that (not counting F2P mobile releases and the like), Skyrim at "only" ~30 million copies is still one of the top sellers, and that number seems realistically possible for CP2077.

I always wanted a game to break all the rules, turn around one day and drop an "ok it's out now" bomb. With preorder culture being so important to devs, it's pretty much impossible. But if one game was going to take however many years, keep a secret all the way to release, and then break the internet on an immediate launch, I like to think it'd be 2077.

If the game is coming this year, then in some sense it is both short and long. I mean, with a Q4 release date announcement and pre-orders starting from E3 2019, it would be very similar to Fallout 4 and thus "short", but the trailer and gameplay demo from 2018 already served to create interest in the IP, which make it "long". By June, the community could be very impatient already for Cyberpunk news, so I can imagine a surprise full reveal and confirmation of launch in a few months would quickly drive up the hype and pre-orders. Then again, it is very well possible that the current silence is simply because the release will be in 2020, and it is not part of some clever marketing strategy.

Agreed. Since they haven't been dropping that much info on the game, this leads me and many others to speculate they will be reveal a plethora of info at E3, and maybe even a release date.

I actually said tens of millions, meaning 20 million or more, which is approximately what The Witcher 3 already sold (it still sells very well too, so the number is not final), and the expectation for CP2077 is to do even better. That is not small for a single player AAA game, surely GTA V might be near 100 million, but it is one of the commercially most successful titles ever, and it was released on more than one generation of consoles. Very few get close to that (not counting F2P mobile releases and the like), Skyrim at "only" ~30 million copies is still one of the top sellers, and that number seems realistically possible for CP2077.

Im happy if they are able to pull it off, 30 mill for this genre, would mean somekind of break-through. I bet Deus Ex isnt even near 30 mill. More like 7 or so. SteamSpy shows 1-2mill for Deux EX on Steam, so 3 platform, its quite close to 7 mill, usually consoles tend to sell a bit more.

BUT what IF, they arent able to break-through with this? What happens then, just cry into your soup? I say go transmedia, try to get some movie deal etc. At least Cyberpunk makes somekind of mark on the market and who knows maybe in the future, someone else will continue it.

10 mill is nothing, its only 3 mill per platform. Do you know best games sell over 100 mill? So, you are kinda looking at niche market if they aim for 10 mill, also its how many you get at full price. You get 10 mill by selling like 1-2mill at launch, easy cake. 500k or less are starting to be fails generally.

Im not going to argue more, I would make this more cinematic, if things start to go south so can choose transmedia path for the series and lets now forget mobiles.

Btw, Witcher series's lifetime sales are at 33 mill, sure its nice number but not so nice. They have started to make name for themselves.

I would add that TW3 is the only Witcher game to be released on the PS network so those numbers would be much higher if CDPR revamped the other Witcher games and released them on the PS .

I thought of this topic when i met up with some gamer friends . Both had played TW3 but one didn`t know about CP2077 ( must be living under a rock ;) ) . While the other wants to play it but know very little about the world / lore . I have been doing my research by watching The Mad Queen and Kazuliski vids .

Last edited:
I think they will not do this:

pre-order
pre-release-vip-demo
early access vip
early access demo
pre-order early access
pre-order micro transactions
ea.........

And i love to see a nice/smart vid where CD Projekt RED is bashing EA :) (as part of advertisement for CP 2077 and their whole company)

I think they will not do this:

pre-order
pre-release-vip-demo
early access vip
early access demo
pre-order early access
pre-order micro transactions
ea.........

And i love to see a nice/smart vid where CD Projekt RED is bashing EA :) (as part of advertisement for CP 2077 and their whole company)

They might do a pre-order. And game companies dont bash the competition.

Top Bottom