Weekly Poll 2/4/19 - Street Cred!

+

What do you think Street Cred will be/should be in 2077?

• Total voters
2, 3, 5, 6, 7

EDIT: Also - for clarity, I think option 3 ought to be 4 and 4 to be 3 (since option 4 references the answer in option 2)

2, 3, 5, 6, 7

EDIT: Also - for clarity, I think option 3 ought to be 4 and 4 to be 3 (since option 4 references the answer in option 2)

I hate you Rawls.

Fine.

Wait, nope, people voted, CAN'T DO IT.

Seems pretty clear to me anyway.

Sild

Ex-moderator
2, 3, 5, 6, 7

When you're voting option 2 is above option 4 so it's not as confusing.

Polls like this are more like idea polls, really. I mean, we generally want all the options, right? If we had more ide aof what Cred does, we could do a poll that examined what compromises are made and what we would prefer.

Probably do a re-look when we have more info.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Polls like this are more like idea polls, really. I mean, we generally want all the options, right? If we had more ide aof what Cred does, we could do a poll that examined what compromises are made and what we would prefer.

Probably do a re-look when we have more info.

I agree. But it's fun to speculate and imagine how the game might shape up. And the options here are nice and varied. Number 5 for example could be interesting if done right.

1,2 and 6 but it's not exactly what I'd like.

My vision: street creds are the key of progression (together with eddies). It works exactly like exp. points and leveling (so we're not creating a user unfriendly system) but it's realistic.

At the beginning V is mr nobody, nobody knows him, trusts him or wants to waste his time with him. The more you complete missions the higher your reputation becomes (you gain street creds instead of exp. points), V becomes "known" and is contacted by important people like Dex De Shawn who give you more missions and so on. Side quests do the same, of course. The higher your reputation is the more vendors you unlock, meaning you can buy better gear and Cyberware (in particular illegal stuff, illegal vendors won't sell you anything if they don't trust you, you need to be in/famous to some extent as already explained in the demo). You want to buy mantis blades (high-end military grade illegal melee weapon)? You must know the right guy. With abilities fully related to cyberware in a realistic fashion street creds become the key of progression system.
Everything works like in all RPGs, nothing fancy except for the fact that you need to buy your abilities with money instead of using exp. points. I think players can handle this, we're not that stupid.

A very little detail that makes everything completely realistic.

(Shhhhh, this is a secret between me and you.... but at this point you can also remove levels from enemies since the game has an action combat system anyway and make it even more realistic. Or do we really think that you need that because players are stupid at the point they need a small number to understand that a rocket launcher deals more damage than a gun and that an heavy-armored guy with a military grade rifle is more dangerous than a street gang goon with a 9mm? All action games have this type of mechanics and progression already, even linear "very easy" games like uncharted)

4, 5, 5, 7.

I'm VERY tempted to add 1 and 2 but #4 covers #2 (information access) and there's no similar option to cover #1.

I'm not thrilled with having ONLY Street Cred determine story progression and gear availibility. I can see why CDPR is going that route tho. Many players will be coming from Action Game backgrounds and won't realize non-combat skills are are essential to character development. So they need something they can control, "Street Cred" given as a mission completion reward, to gate story progression or they'd have a million complaints from players. It's actually a pretty innovative solution, but like so many that seem to be being made it's at the expense of role play elements.

2 , 3, 6 , and 7
Wow there are some really good options to pick from . I was dead set against 5 when i first read it so didn`t vote for it but the more i thought about it the better it sounded . V should be able to intimidate low level street scum if his / her street cred is high enough but only the lower level people .

4, 5, 5, 7.

I'm VERY tempted to add 1 and 2 but #4 covers #2 (information access) and there's no similar option to cover #1.

I'm not thrilled with having ONLY Street Cred determine story progression and gear availibility. I can see why CDPR is going that route tho. Many players will be coming from Action Game backgrounds and won't realize non-combat skills are are essential to character development. So they need something they can control, "Street Cred" given as a mission completion reward, to gate story progression or they'd have a million complaints from players. It's actually a pretty innovative solution, but like so many that seem to be being made it's at the expense of role play elements.

I don't think CDPR is planning to do that. Demo showed character creation and 6 stats, a good number of which relates to non-combat skills such as COOL, INTELLIGENCE and TECH. Which is very good.

If you can improve those with cyberware like in the PnP or with classic gamey exp points (as seems from the demo), we don't know.

I honestly think (fear) that CP2077 will be a FPP the witcher 3 in its mechanics (looting, levels unlocking perks), but my impression based on the demo is actually worthless.

I like street cred as an intimidation tactic, or as some kind of discount. But locking certain gear or quests behind a street cred minimum may skew player decisions away from what they planned on doing. I'd want to make decisions for their effect on the city, as opposed to whatever boosts a certain number the most.

3, 4, 6, 7, and 9.

I'm not a fan of pass/fail (1 & 2), and I think I already posted about that when the topic was skill/level gates. *checks* Yes, I did, in the Skills poll.

I don't like the idea of having to have a certain level/amount/whatever of street cred to finish the main story, because I know from other games that it really hampers the role-playing aspect. Side quests, on the other hand, are welcome to have requirements; street cred, skill level(s), wealth, or something else.

Street cred definitely should be able to go down as well as up. It shouldn't be something you can just raise and raise and raise without ever needing to worry about doing something that would negate some of the work put into raising it. That wouldn't make any sense, in my opinion.

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9

I really prefer purely gated systems; either you have the rep or you don't. If I specifically build a character to be a certain thing, offset that by closing off other pathways that reflect the choices I've made...don't trifle with me by ignoring my choices and rolling dice for the consequences. (Or better yet -- make "gated vs. chance" an toggled option. :))

Aside from that, I think Street Cred should affect every last part of the game: discounts on gear / weapons, optional side-quest based on your rep, alternate pathways through main-quests, combat that can be avoided altogether based upon your rep in that area. However, it cuts both ways. Get in good with Faction A, and my relationship with Faction B goes down. Take path X, and I can no longer take path Y. Instead of rolling dice to arbitrarily reward or punish my character, surprise me with subtle and sometimes unexpected cause-effect results for my choices.

In the end, there is no "winning or losing" -- every choice nets me something and costs me something.

But I also don't think that Street Cred should be required for the main quest. It should be something that augments and flavors a playthrough.

But I also don't think that Street Cred should be required for the main quest. It should be something that augments and flavors a playthrough.
Here we'll disagree.

My interpretation (and I stress it's mine not necessarily CDPRs) is it's your reputation. No one is going to hire someone they've never heard of and doesn't have a rep for success to do an important job.

Here we'll disagree.

Possibly, but I'm not sure we're talking about the same things. By "flavors the the playthrough", what I mean is that I would treat Street Cred more like a currency. My character will earn a reputation based on past actions, and that will naturally mean their name gets around on the streets. Lots of different parties may show interest as my character becomes more well-known. When I choose to talk to this or that group, take their missions on, utilize their special markets, etc. it creates tension with other groups. So, it means I have to sort of spend the Street Cred I've earned, and then I'll need to deal with what I've purchased.

That way, playing through the game without really worrying about earning Street Cred, earning and using Street Cred to work with a paramilitary group, or using it to get in good with booster gang would produce three really different pathways through the game.

The "Hopes for Character Creation" thread has some discussion regarding how fashion could/should affect Street Cred. Perhaps a related poll Sardukhar?

When I choose to talk to this or that group, take their missions on, utilize their special markets, etc. it creates tension with other groups. So, it means I have to sort of spend the Street Cred I've earned, and then I'll need to deal with what I've purchased.

That way, playing through the game without really worrying about earning Street Cred, earning and using Street Cred to work with a paramilitary group, or using it to get in good with booster gang would produce three really different pathways through the game.
So rather the Street Cred being a universal "key" to higher end jobs/equipment/game content you want it to function more like factional reputation? Where you earn Street Cred from virtually anything you do but spend it with one faction or another to access something?

Top Bottom