Card Lore: Arnjolf the Patricide

+

Dominika

CD PROJEKT RED

As his nickname suggests, Arnjolf committed a terrible crime: he killed his own father. In Skellige, there is but one way to redeem such a terrible sin. You have to die in battle, and not in a petty border skirmish, but fighting against a powerful enemy – wearing no armour, showing no fear. And so, Arnjolf yearns for death with a passion – and impatience. He runs into the fray, oblivious of any danger, the tattoo on his forehead displaying a short message for the enemy archers: “aim here”.

Concept art by Bogna Gawrońska

Illustration by Bogna Gawrońska

I thought this would be like that one show you guys used to do where some wizard-looking man would talk about a card's background and why it was designed that way. Now that I mention it, you guys should bring it back! ):

I thought this would be like that one show you guys used to do where some wizard-looking man would talk about a card's background and why it was designed that way. Now that I mention it, you guys should bring it back! ):
That was 'Beyond the Frame', hosted by Adalbert (in truth, one of the lead writers, and an interesting chap, even without the wild beard).

As his nickname suggests, Arnjolf committed a terrible crime: he killed his own father.
Given the Old Norse inspiration for Skellige, I always thought it would have been more fitting to call him 'Father-Killer', rather than 'Patricide'. Although both mean the same, the former title would be more Germanic, rather than Latin. Although the term patricide does indicate a crime, it still seems an awkward byname for a Skelliger.

Incidentally, if anyone has ever wondered why Arnjolf has no beard, it's likely that he keeps it off as yet another mark of shame.

rrc

Forum veteran
That was 'Beyond the Frame', hosted by Adalbert (in truth, one of the lead writers, and an interesting chap, even without the wild beard).
HOLY F**KING S**T! That was incredibly awesome! That was from before I started Gwent. The way he told the story, it was like a recap on the books, and I still have the fresh memory from the books. CDPR should do this. That is more awesome than the animated Leader Spotlight videos (Of course, I loved the spotlight videos too, but someone explaining the lore in the Gwenty setup is a hundred times better.. Hands Down!)

Would be better if you explained why GOG updated gwent today. 170mb arent small. Havent found notes for it.

Great announcement, though I already looked those information up on the wiki, because as someone who hasn't played Thronebreaker yet, I had no clue who they were. So giving these information to everyone is great.

Given the Old Norse inspiration for Skellige, I always thought it would have been more fitting to call him 'Father-Killer', rather than 'Patricide'. Although both mean the same, the former title would be more Germanic, rather than Latin. Although the term patricide does indicate a crime, it still seems an awkward byname for a Skelliger.
Father-killer doesn't feels that good as one word, thus I think Kinslayer would be better, as the crime is probably not exclusive to killing his own father but could apply to ather close relatives as well.,

Top Bottom