Hubert Rejk needs to be nerfed

+
The value you can get for 7p is absurd.
This card must be nerfed or perhaps even changed next patch.

Hubert is a combo piece, like with Schirru or Regis and such, if you can prepare the board for an awesome finisher, then you should be rewarded. The question is: how easy is it to get value from the card? The only reliable play is with Adda. Everything else can be countered. And if you let Foltest's Pride or Kiyan build up, you are screwed regardless.

Yes, Hubert can be very strong. No, it shouldn't be nerfed.

As a general rule, stop nerfing and start buffing.

I'm sorry 4RM3D but you seem ignorant about this card for 7 provisions it sure as hell is nuts.
It easily reaches 20+ value when you play tons of engines, Sabrina and order cards like Ocvist, Blaze, Seltkirk etc.
You even don't need to play Adda to get absurd value out of it even in a Meve deck it's overpowered.
I've played the card a few games and my record so far is a 48 pts Hugebert against Woodland.
Thats a 90 pts swing in one turn!

M3e0w

Forum regular
Sometimes your deck just can't deal with certain things, that doesn't make them OP.
Play it and you will see how you lose with it vs decks you win against with another deck.

Though it can be frustrating sometimes when your opponent uses some cheese-shit (especially with eredin), that is instant gg but could easily be delt with if you just had the counter. xD
Post automatically merged:

Also if you let your opponent get a long 3d round without having anything to shut down his damage engines you played into Hubert. On his own it's not a strong card, and you have to do all the damage in 1 turn, that's easily nullified if you have the tools for it.

Last edited:
I've played the card a few games and my record so far is a 48 pts Hugebert against Woodland. Thats a 90 pts swing in one turn!

Woodland players live in a bubble and usually don't counter anything, meaning any engine deck can beat them. So, it's not really a good comparison. Besides, like I have mentioned, if you allow engines to build up you probably going to lose anyhow. The tactic against engine decks is bleeding them and going for a short round. That's the thing about Hubert in engine decks, you either don't need him to win or you can't use him to gain victory.

I have played with Hubert myself and he was rarely critical to my success. Potentially, his value is great, practically, it matters little. Furthermore, I don't see Hubert often enough to begin with, for him to be a problem. And if you are talking about massive power swings (and taking fringe cases out of proportion), then you haven't seen Glustyworp + She-Troll/Vran. To put it differently, you either win spectacularly or crash and burn; there is rarely a middle road.

The question is: how easy is it to get value from the card? The only reliable play is with Adda.

Not true. It fits in Meve engine overload concepts just fine. Adda does give Hubert reliable value because it's 8 damage on a leader, or 8 value going to Hubert in an ideal scenario. Adda loses reliability on the cards typically best suited to give Hubert value, however.

How easy it is to get value from the card depends on the match-up and round length. In general I'd say it's pretty easy to break even with the cost. At 7p and a 3 body you only have to do 4 damage to do so.

Woodland players live in a bubble and usually don't counter anything, meaning any engine deck can beat them. So, it's not really a good comparison.

Not necessarily true either. Most MS builds I've seen and played of late are gravitating away from thrive + big boys + ghoul replay spam to control, for a number of reasons. Crones, Hounds, possibly Uni/Chiro in the right build, Wrath, Cyclops, etc.

And if you are talking about massive power swings (and taking fringe cases out of proportion), then you haven't seen Glustyworp + She-Troll/Vran. To put it differently, you either win spectacularly or crash and burn; there is rarely a middle road.

This kind of highlights the problem with the card though. It has a somewhat sub-par floor but a ridiculously insane ceiling. I'm not a fan of this type of card design in general. Unfortunately, it isn't exactly uncommon. More concerning is the fact it's on a 7p card. 7p cards arguably shouldn't range from 3 pts to 50 pts. Regardless of the setup requirements to make them work.

I don't know if it needs nerfed. Not because it's necessarily alright. More because the card pool isn't exactly "balanced" with respect to itself across the board. It's not even close, in fact. Pretty much every competitive deck is reliant on most of the cards included having the ability to hit above their weight, certain cards able to hit far above it or some type of degeneracy :). When everything is overpowered to some degree it's hard to point at any one card and claim it needs nerfed because it's overpowered.

Hubert needs a lot of set up you can normally see him coming a long way and most importantly the player has to really stack up his engines thus not being able to do much in the round previously. If he does he will loose a lot of value.

And Woodland Spirit is by far the easiest deck to win against with a NR deck that goes full engine mode. Best play is still redoubling a Myrtagrabrake charges from 15 to 30 with Bloody Baron and having a Dandelion on the battlefield then ending it with a Ban Aard Tutor. That is a 109 power swing if the enemy wouldn't forfeit half ways through.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
Best play is still redoubling a Myrtagrabrake charges from 15 to 30 with Bloody Baron and having a Dandelion on the battlefield then ending it with a Ban Aard Tutor. That is a 109 power swing if the enemy wouldn't forfeit half ways through.
I sincerely wish I lose to such interesting out of the box thinking decks. But what I get is the same old Big MO, Crach Spear s**ts.

Dude, if you struggle with a Hubert deck just bleed them during round 2 or force it out during round 1.
The 1 time I faced Adda with my Gernichora deck I decided to bleed her out round 2, to be fair it was irrelevant if I would even have lost round 1 on even, if you force them enough they crumble.
Hubert in fact is reliant on a lot of setup to be overwhelming and the power of Northern Realms (actually all engines) is the reason I am maining Enraged Ifrit, Cleaver, the damage Crone and Chironex, in fact these about always find value, are super trades against engines and destroy these setup reliant decks.
And besides, these are the reasons non-overload engine decks have an awfully tough time.

If anything we need more cards like Hubert, which reward buidling around an actual strategy, rather than just point slam.
If you run Meve instead of Adda you just lose the 8 points you had guaranteed to protect all the engines you have to keep alive for 1-3 turns to go off with Hubert, you can always interact with Hubert and last time I checked those decks did not run Revive, so they cannot access him again, bleeding them out with monsters of everything should be easy to do, control should also be an option, if you run Nilgaard you should already play 2 Alba Armored Cavalry (+ potentially more locks) and can play 3/4 of the control devices monsters run, if you cannot answer the right engines you either messed up building your deck or assumed you could just slam down all your cards without playing strategicly, in which case you deserve to lose.

Skellige and Scoiatael also have some great cards to both push and answer engines (which are essential, especially against Meve Hubert).

The game is supposed to be strategic around guessing and knowing what your opponent does, if they just slam down cards not trying to outplay their opponent they deserve to lose, in the initial Gwent things were even tougher, almost immediately being an instant loss if you failed to put enough tempo into every single play, as going 1 card down was a lose condition, so being able to answer during a long round is expected.

In case you actually do play big (non-control) monsters (and complain about Hubert) you kind of have to deal with it, while you counter control you get massacred by engines, that is intended and the design Gwent has always been.

As for rrc, you do not face these decks often, given that they get completely destroyed by deploy removal, which is just merciless in homecoming.

It fits in Meve engine overload concepts just fine.

Doesn't most of Meve's engines ping at the end of the turn, rendering Hubert useless?

Most MS builds I've seen and played of late are gravitating away from thrive + big boys + ghoul replay spam to control

True, but they still usually lose to engines, when they cannot bleed.

This kind of highlights the problem with the card though. It has a somewhat sub-par floor but a ridiculously insane ceiling.

I understand the balancing concerns for Hubert, but I really dislike artificial ceilings. We need more dynamic cards. One I am particularly fond of is Draug.

When everything is overpowered to some degree it's hard to point at any one card and claim it needs nerfed because it's overpowered.

When everything is overpowered, nothing is (overpowered).

rrc

Forum veteran
When everything is overpowered, nothing is (overpowered).
This reminded me of one of my most favorite animation movies of all time, The Incredibles!
Syndrome: I will sell all these tech to everyone so that everyone becomes a Super. When everyone is Super, no one is!! <and an evil laugh>.

This is quite a ridiculous request. It takes a lot of build-up to play Hubert. Hubert isn't a factor of which other cards cannot be played, such as Usurper decks tend to do, and other removal crap. You should in fact nerve those decks instead of Hubert. My Hubert reached over 70 points once. It takes time and definately also damage since I don't use my charges imediately, which again is a great risk considering all the locks and removal. Hubert is about one of the last cards ever atm that needs a nerf.

Doesn't most of Meve's engines ping at the end of the turn, rendering Hubert useless?

Basically, you play damage engines and order cards, keep them alive without using their ability then dump their charges/order abilities and play Hubert on the same turn.

It works in engine overload with Meve because the idea is to play so many engines/high value order cards your opponent runs out of removals at the end of the game and cannot wipe the Hubert value generators off the board R3. It's particularly good with Meve because proper ping management can boost all of the important engines, greatly increasing their ability to survive.

As mentioned earlier such Meve concepts can be incredibly powerful. One or two high value engines staying up is typically enough to secure a round. Granted, they are less powerful when the other player uses their high value removal wisely, rather than playing the, "Engine on board, must kill engine.", game. Likewise, anyone running these Meve decks probably knows what happens against something like a Crach spear list when both spears are held for and played R3 (spoiler, you lose :)). In other words, it has counter-play.

True, but they still usually lose to engines, when they cannot bleed.

Depends on the MS deck. MS is innately suited to bleeding, IMO. They have access to enough tempo to both avoid losing a card and raise the odds of recouping it if R1 was won down a card. They have access to very good short round ability so forcing a shorter R3 is probably an advantage to them. Even down a card the ability to point-slam a board may be enough to overcome the deficit. Obviously, Gerni and Elder are stronger at doing so. Nothing prohibits Woodlands from doing so though. If the alternative is a 50 point Hubert it's not a hard choice :). Eredin probably would not but it probably doesn't have to either (Slyzard/Imlerith/Mourntart degeneracy...).

• RED Point
Maybe all the recent nerf requests are MO players practicing whataboutism.

🤔 Conspiracy!

Or all the people who play Hugebert and say he's fine react in this topic :D

Enough of this nonsense Hubert is actually comparable with Regis Higher Vampire's point swing except he always gets decent value with Adda, has no order on it and is 4 provisions less.
Your opponent can do nothing about this toss in a few engines and order cards and you'll crush your opponent.
It's not a GG winning this way this is simply toxic and not fun to play against so I think it shouldn't be in the game.

It's not a GG winning this way this is simply toxic and not fun to play against so I think it shouldn't be in the game.

I've never played Hubert, only NR deck I have:

https://gwentup.com/decks/4708

Anyway, maybe it's toxic maybe it isn't. I thought the same thing when I got an opponent that put up 3 artifacts then Keltullis and immuned it with Eredin. If i had any card like scorch or something I would've won. Had nothing to counter it so it was an instant GG. #Shrug

But well there're tons of things that you can't play against with certain setups. My tip is to try different decks.
If you could counter everything with every deck then the game would be booring.

Anyway I've not seen Hubert plays since like Rank 10 so I think that's actually a tier 2 deck or something.

Twas ment as a Joke, nonetheless I feel like all the nerf QQ does infact distract from the fact that MO is broken. Every other deck now is some form of Eredin [nope].

Post edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
  • RED Point
Top Bottom