Weekly Poll 2/4/19 - Street Cred!

+

What do you think Street Cred will be/should be in 2077?

• Total voters
Sound idea. Something like, "What do you think should create/affect your Street Cred rating?"
Indeed. I find the discussion about whether fashion should affect street cred really relevant to the "Style Over substance" theme. We already know that fashion applies a global modifier to the street cred stat. But as far as we know, it has no context in the world. Better is ALWAYS better.

But a few people have suggested an additional level of nuance. And that is a optional "Fashion Commando" like toggle in the difficulty. For example, wear a tailored suit in Pacifica, more likely to get jumped. Wear street wear in Arasaka Tower, meet security. This could be OFF by default but maybe provide a benefit (xp modifier or something) if on.

The idea syncs up with two pillars of gameplay that CDPR showed off in the demo. Forethought is important, and choices have consequences. And it gives more value to owning different fashion options instead of players just chasing the piece of gear that gives them the highest boost and ignoring everything else.

Last edited:
But a few people have suggested an additional level of nuance. And that is a optional "Fashion Commando" like toggle in the difficulty. For example, wear a tailored suit in Pacifica, more likely to get jumped. Wear street wear in Arasaka Tower, meet security. This could be OFF by default but maybe provide a benefit (xp modifier or something) if on.
We had it already in fallout new vegas, but it looks like that expecting this kind of things from games in 2020 is crazy and "asking too much"... Role-playing games nowadays are just adding numbers and loot here and there, not all these role-playing mechanics... :(

if microsoft doesn't fuck obsidian up, their next AAA game will be majestic. Obsidian's writing and game design with up to date graphics and a valid combat system. I'm already waiting for that.

Isnt Fixer role basically all about this?

"Fixers are the well-connected fencers, smugglers, and information brokers who apply their trade on the black market.

You buy and sell favors like an old-style Mafia godfather. You have connections into all kinds of businesses, deals and political groups. You don't do this directly, of course - no, you see your contacts and allies as a part of vast web of intrigue and coercion. If there's a hot nightclub in the City, you've bought into it. If there are new military-class weapons on the Street, you smuggled'em in. If there's a Corporate war going down, you're negotiating between sides with an eye on the main chance. "

Pretty cool stuff!

I voted 2,7,9

Still not sure about Street Cred , it sound like street cred will lock you out of parts of the city and shops till you raise it.

To get some info from street cred sound ok, i still would like Skill Check in dialogues and interaction, skill check are need for RPG, it give more meaning to skills you raise up and how you build your character.

And Street Cred shoud not be necessary to finish main quest and plot.

We had it already in fallout new vegas, but it looks like that expecting this kind of things from games in 2020 is crazy and "asking too much"... Role-playing games nowadays are just adding numbers and loot here and there, not all these role-playing mechanics... :(

That's part of why I have faith in CDPR. They have the experience and talent to return RPGs to their former glory. If anyone, can add the level of nuance I am referring to, it's them. I think it may come down to whether they think there is sufficient gameplay benefit to justify the designer time.

So rather the Street Cred being a universal "key" to higher end jobs/equipment/game content you want it to function more like factional reputation? Where you earn Street Cred from virtually anything you do but spend it with one faction or another to access something?

Kind of, yeah. I think about it the same way celebrity works:

1.) First, I do something that gains attention. A few people learn my name. I get an opportunity here from this faction, an opportunity there from another faction. They're feeling me out...seeing if I'm really all that. These are low-level players in the great game. Small-time crews looking for an edge, and willing to consider relative unknowns. [From a gameplay perspective, these early missions allow you to use the Street Cred you've accrued to feel out some of the different factions in NC, see what they're about, what they have to offer. It's not committing to anything much yet, just feeling things out.]

2.) Eventually, if I develop enough of a Street Cred reputation, I get contacted by certain factions that want to discuss some "real business". The missions I'm going on are more difficult and the effects much more wide-spread. In return, I gain the support of that particular faction, but it affects my relationship with all of the other "Street Cred" factions. Some may remain friendly but a little guarded, others will be strained and no longer willing to deal with me so openly, others may become outright hostile. [Gameplay-wise, this means I get exclusive access to some of that faction's "specialities". One group may offer netrunner support that I can utilize later in main quest missions, another group may provide fire teams to support me in combat, a third group may offer access to really cheap gear through a black market -- but I can't have it all. As I get in good with one faction, the doors start closing for the other factions.]

3.) It's up to me (the player) to balance things. If I spread my attention around, I remain a free agent. I keep things largely neutral, do a few missions for everyone, keep it friendly. I get a few, basic benefits from all factions. Nothing super-great, but a large variety. If I want access to the best services, I need to choose a faction and commit. (Or, I can just largely ignore all of them and make my own way.)

4.) If I opt to really get into bed with a faction, that will significantly alter my pathway to the endgame. I may be able to handle main quest missions in completely different ways based upon who I am on the streets. [So the ultimate gameplay consideration for Street Cred is to both augment a particular playstyle and paint a living portrait of V's attitude in action. And supposedly, attitude is everything. ;)]

Last edited:
3.) It's up to me (the player) to balance things. If I spread my attention around, I remain a free agent. I keep things largely neutral, do a few missions for everyone, keep it friendly. I get a few, basic benefits from all factions. Nothing super-great, but a large variety. If I want access to the best services, I need to choose a faction and commit. (Or, I can just largely ignore all of them and make my own way.)
Certainly doable and reasonable.
I like that, unlike a purely faction based system it's impossible to get to the top with everyone. (y)

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of negative consequence.
Constant forward progression and upward leveling is so ingrained into games, it's become ridiculous.
Where's the risks? You're character dies? Oh, well, just reload a previous save and try again.
I'd like to see some damned if you do, damned if you don't, choose the least-worst out of all-bad decisions scenarios, but, I'd also like to see them as optional side quests.
Getting all your gear taken away for one certain quest in a main story line, for whatever reasons is not at all surprising and, frankly, annoying AF.
I'd much prefer a few quests of the games designed such that there's consequence. Your character pays with an arm or a leg, and you'll have to gimp by and deal with diminished stats/abilities until you can afford, or angle your way into getting a replacement, and the only real "reward" for all your trouble is the compelling story experience that goes with it, and, if you're the sort that doesn't appreciate character tragedy and loss, and would prefer to just collect all the thingses, you don't have to do it. Leave that quest alone. Reload a save from before it. That story, however, could potentially open a door to another quest with less obvious, less immediate rewards and advantages you would won't ever get access to otherwise.
As such, yeah, let's see negative street cred, as well as dire consequence for some decisions. It's a dangerous world. It should have some danger, and the gamble of decisions with consequences, and not just good deeds = good results, bad = bad. Let's see good deeds punished, and leave V wondering how long it'll be before he/she can catch a break, and whether the struggle is worth all this trouble.
Let's see some 1 step forward 3 steps back stories.
Let's have some impact of meaningful, worthwhile, character-building loss, and losing. :)

Kind of, yeah. I think about it the same way celebrity works:

1.) First, I do something that gains attention. A few people learn my name. I get an opportunity here from this faction, an opportunity there from another faction. They're feeling me out...seeing if I'm really all that. These are low-level players in the great game. Small-time crews looking for an edge, and willing to consider relative unknowns. [From a gameplay perspective, these early missions allow you to use the Street Cred you've accrued to feel out some of the different factions in NC, see what they're about, what they have to offer. It's not committing to anything much yet, just feeling things out.]

2.) Eventually, if I develop enough of a Street Cred reputation, I get contacted by certain factions that want to discuss some "real business". The missions I'm going on are more difficult and the effects much more wide-spread. In return, I gain the support of that particular faction, but it affects my relationship with all of the other "Street Cred" factions. Some may remain friendly but a little guarded, others will be strained and no longer willing to deal with me so openly, others may become outright hostile. [Gameplay-wise, this means I get exclusive access to some of that faction's "specialities". One group may offer netrunner support that I can utilize later in main quest missions, another group may provide fire teams to support me in combat, a third group may offer access to really cheap gear through a black market -- but I can't have it all. As I get in good with one faction, the doors start closing for the other factions.]

4.) If I opt to really get into bed with a faction, that will significantly alter my pathway to the endgame. I may be able to handle main quest missions in completely different ways based upon who I am on the streets. [So the ultimate gameplay consideration for Street Cred is to both augment a particular playstyle and paint a living portrait of V's attitude in action. And supposedly, attitude is everything. ;)]
I very much like this idea. Curious to see how CDPR ends up doing it.

I wish Street Cred was a two-part system. One that functions more or less as we've seen Street Cred described currently and the other being, essentially, faction rep, but with a mechanic where doing jobs for one faction gets you points with them (and possibly a lesser amount with their allies) but awards you a penalty with the faction you just ran against (and their allies).

Guest 4211861

Whatever.

Where do I buy the neon jacket from, IRL?

Top Bottom