Cyberpunk Soundtrack

+
Really excited about CYBERPUNK 2077- I've been a fan of that genre since I read William Gibson's books in the 1980's. What is deeply disturbing though, is the consideration of using Kanye West's rap (Music)? in the game! REALLY? OMG!! Rap could not be FURTHER from representation of Cyberpunk!… INDUSTRIAL, GOTH/SYNTHPOP, DARKWAVE… (Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, DYM, Covenant, Asphyxia, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, C-Lekktor, Agonoize, Die Form, Funkervogt, Aghast View) Etc… are INDICATIVE of Encapsulating the Dystopian, Gritty, Ultra-Violent, Dark, Cyber-Ambience that is expected in this Genre! Billy Idol had an album in 1990 titled "Cyberpunk", for heaven's sake! Please… Give the RIVETHEADS, CYBERGOTHS, and ELEKTRO-PUNKS their DUE CREDIT! After all… their Likeness, Fashions and Cyber-Style was gleaned, and utilized in the Game anyways! I find it only Appropriate that their Music should also be Included to make this Game as AWESOME as I Hope it will be!!

Really excited about CYBERPUNK 2077- I've been a fan of that genre since I read William Gibson's books in the 1980's. What is deeply disturbing though, is the consideration of using Kanye West's rap (Music)? in the game! REALLY? OMG!! Rap could not be FURTHER from representation of Cyberpunk!… INDUSTRIAL, GOTH/SYNTHPOP, DARKWAVE… (Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, DYM, Covenant, Asphyxia, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, C-Lekktor, Agonoize, Die Form, Funkervogt, Aghast View) Etc… are INDICATIVE of Encapsulating the Dystopian, Gritty, Ultra-Violent, Dark, Cyber-Ambience that is expected in this Genre! Billy Idol had an album in 1990 titled "Cyberpunk", for heaven's sake! Please… Give the RIVETHEADS, CYBERGOTHS, and ELEKTRO-PUNKS their DUE CREDIT! After all… their Likeness, Fashions and Cyber-Style was gleaned, and utilized in the Game anyways! I find it only Appropriate that their Music should also be Included to make this Game as AWESOME as I Hope it will be!!

I love many of the Industrial / Goth / Synthpop / Darkwave groups that you mention. But hip hop can be every bit as representative of rebellion and street culture as Punk Rock or the genres you are talking about. Almost all street music gets co-opted by corporations, drained of it's cultural relevance/meaning and sold back to the mainstream eventually. Then that triggers a backlash and the cycle starts over.

My approach has been that capturing the context and themes of Cyberpunk is more important than genres. Night City is a big world (culturally) with plenty of room for different voices. An MC and a Rivethead can both be saying the same thing in their own way. Instead maybe we should think of how the music reflects the people in each different area of Night City and how they fit into the culture. Is their music mainstream
CORPOculture (Drinking the Corpo Kool-Aid), SUBculture (existing beneath mainstream culture) or COUNTERculture (existing in opposition to mainstream culture)? Click here for a some examples of what I mean #19

Remember the words of Ripperjack... "BREAK THE RULES". We shouldn't let dogma constrain our thinking. That isn't the Cyberpunk way. When I talk about Hip Hop, I'm not talking about Kanye West. Start with THIS: https://soundcloud.com/empty-the-clip%2Fzar-x-lil-landmine-empty-clip-prod-lvndmine See #2,061 for two more examples.

Last edited:
No west, No gaga. They have no place in cyberpunk...Sinthwave, Retrowave, industrial etcetera in cyberpunk please and thank you
(The cyberpunk anthem)

Rewatching the demo gameplay video, the body language of the Maelstrom gang reminded me of that South African group Die Antwoord in their videos and movie appearances. I don't know how amenable they'd be to having their sounds included in the game, or even getting included as NPCs, but, i suspect, if asked, they'd be all over it ... although, they tend to invite controversy in antagonizing feuds with anyone that sets them off.

That group's sound and aesthetic I think could also work really well inside the game.

Rewatching the demo gameplay video, the body language of the Maelstrom gang reminded me of that South African group Die Antwoord in their videos and movie appearances. I don't know how amenable they'd be to having their sounds included in the game, or even getting included as NPCs, but, i suspect, if asked, they'd be all over it ... although, they tend to invite controversy in antagonizing feuds with anyone that sets them off.

That group's sound and aesthetic I think could also work really well inside the game.

Marquis_deShade for you, sir.

https://soundcloud.com/user-227051119%2Fdis-iz-why-i-m-hot-die-antwoord-ushi-flip
Post automatically merged:

This track is a thematic fit for a game about rebelling against Corporate Neo-Feudalism.

Last edited:
Here's a couple songs I have in mind I could see being in Cyberpunk, especially in clubs at night.

Love TOKYO ROSE and ALEX. I have a related poll going on about a FEATURE request and some thoughts on how to implement licensed music into 2077. Link in is in my signature if you want to weigh in with your opinion. Click #27 for an overview.

Thanks for sharing these. I'd be interested to hear your take on capturing more of the "Punk" than the "Cyber". I don't mean "Punk Rock" as a genre, but how you would approach the themes that underpin the Cyberpunk Genre.

I have a related thread going on if you are interested in weighing in. Link is in my sub.
  • See #27 for my approach to music (UPDATED).
  • See #30 for an example of CULTURE vs. Genre (UPDATED).
  • See #19 for info about CLUBS.

Last edited:
Let me know if you can hear all the instruments in this one, it's an experiment. It uses sound frequencies that not all people can listen.

Also, a bit more moody.

I really like this SOUNDTRACK but how can I find out that I hear all the instruments when I basically can't hear it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom