Developer Answers to your CP 2077 Questions

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that you are going to get an official answer to this kind of question so early, but my bet would be on the Rockstar style, peer to peer architecture.

Probably you are right. I just would like to say it would be a good idea to thinking about cheaters when you are at an early stage of creating of network layer for your game engine. If you planning these mechanics an early stage when you create only a core of network layer it will provide reduce amount of labour in the future

For now, the only way of traversing the city I can confirm is that, aside from travelling on foot, players will be able to use an array of cars and motorcycles.

Would be a bit sad if we could not use that sweet metro :)

I don't know if this has been asked yet but how much customization of the playable character can we expect? ie. will augmentations change appearance? can we expect "exotic fashion" to be in-game? can we expect things as simple as getting a haircut?

I don't know if this has been asked yet but how much customization of the playable character can we expect? ie. will augmentations change appearance? can we expect "exotic fashion" to be in-game? can we expect things as simple as getting a haircut?

I believe that it has been asked but that CDPR hasn't made any official statement in response.

It's an old standard in games that you PROGRESS. It's a series of constant winning. On occasion, there's an artificial, mandatory loss of gear that's annoying AF, but, we eventually get our stuff back.
Is there a chance that we can experience loss and consequence on a non-mandatory basis, for some side quests, perhaps even have it cost a literal arm or leg, for the sake of story, and player subjective experience, but, as a matter of choice, consequence, and not something that's artificial and mandatory?
Life isn't fair. Why should we always have constant progress and winning? Where's the struggle?

It's an old standard in games that you PROGRESS. It's a series of constant winning. On occasion, there's an artificial, mandatory loss of gear that's annoying AF, but, we eventually get our stuff back.
Is there a chance that we can experience loss and consequence on a non-mandatory basis, for some side quests, perhaps even have it cost a literal arm or leg, for the sake of story, and player subjective experience, but, as a matter of choice, consequence, and not something that's artificial and mandatory?
Life isn't fair. Why should we always have constant progress and winning? Where's the struggle?

I agree that fits the tone of Pondsmith's vision for Cyberpunk. But CDPR is in a tough spot there. I suspect there would be a massive player and press backlash decrying how "the game CHEATS!!!"

Even if they got their messaging right, it's a tough sell. Hardcore fans like many here would appreciate why the world is unfair. Many wouldn't. CDPR has said that choices will have consequences which I think is a good compromise. The game will punish you for being stupid, but it probably won't put you in a no-win scenario.

I agree that fits the tone of Pondsmith's vision for Cyberpunk. But CDPR is in a tough spot there. I suspect there would be a massive player and press backlash decrying how "the game CHEATS!!!"

Even if they got their messaging right, it's a tough sell. Hardcore fans like many here would appreciate why the world is unfair. Many wouldn't. CDPR has said that choices will have consequences which I think is a good compromise. The game will punish you for being stupid, but it probably won't put you in a no-win scenario.

Well, I can see a number of plausible situations where V gets set back.
For one, if there's not an opportunity for V to make up with the Scavs, to funnel business their way through all the bodies V winds up dropping in exchange for a cut of the profits, or something like that, then, I can see the Scavs holding a long grudge.
They could bait V with a contract through V's fixer with a "milk run" easy opportunity that's too good to pass up, that V thinks he/she can do alone, without support, which in reality turns out to be an orchestrated ambush ending in V waking up on a table without any arms, or missing other important pieces, getting rescued by Jackie, or some other ally.
It wouldn't have to be a mandatory quest; totally optional, but, giving it a pass would miss out on several connected quests and opportunities that play out over the longer course of the game; getting new arms/parts to start, and going on a drawn-out hunt for every Scav that ever existed, and anyone that ever supported them.
V for Vendetta ... or something like that. :)

Well, I can see a number of plausible situations where V gets set back.
For one, if there's not an opportunity for V to make up with the Scavs, to funnel business their way through all the bodies V winds up dropping in exchange for a cut of the profits, or something like that, then, I can see the Scavs holding a long grudge.
They could bait V with a contract through V's fixer with a "milk run" easy opportunity that's too good to pass up, that V thinks he/she can do alone, without support, which in reality turns out to be an orchestrated ambush ending in V waking up on a table without any arms, or missing other important pieces, getting rescued by Jackie, or some other ally.
It wouldn't have to be a mandatory quest; totally optional, but, giving it a pass would miss out on several connected quests and opportunities that play out over the longer course of the game; getting new arms/parts to start, and going on a drawn-out hunt for every Scav that ever existed, and anyone that ever supported them.
V for Vendetta ... or something like that. :)

Yeah in that example, the player isn't forced into a no-win scenario. I think where you'd see a backlash would be if the player was not given a choice.

Last edited:
Yeah in that example, the player isn't forced into a no-win scenario. I thik where you'd see a backlash would be if the player was not given a choice.

Certainly, and i agree with that. I've seen it already with several games where the character gets funneled into a mandatory quest where all their gear is taken away ... for reasons, and, to me, it's annoying AF.
Mass Effect 3 had that whole thing where you're stuck in a bar with only a pistol and infinite spawning enemies, for instance.

If, however, such quests were optional side quests, quests that could be avoided entirely, I think that would work really well, and quests like that could have incentive to go through if they opened up other quests, potentially with unique rewards and special locations that are otherwise locked out and unavailable to players that swipe left on inconvenience, and the whole montage of having to rebuild and recover afterwards.

Certainly, and i agree with that. I've seen it already with several games where the character gets funneled into a mandatory quest where all their gear is taken away ... for reasons, and, to me, it's annoying AF.
Mass Effect 3 had that whole thing where you're stuck in a bar with only a pistol and infinite spawning enemies, for instance.

If, however, such quests were optional side quests, quests that could be avoided entirely, I think that would work really well, and quests like that could have incentive to go through if they opened up other quests, potentially with unique rewards and special locations that are otherwise locked out and unavailable to players that swipe left on inconvenience, and the whole montage of having to rebuild and recover afterwards.

And you are hitting the nail on the head when you say "because reasons." It's that kind of unrealistic context that frustrates people. Fortunately, I get the impression that CDPR's designers are better than that. I think they may have you covered.:cool:

I've seen it already with several games where the character gets funneled into a mandatory quest where all their gear is taken away ... for reasons, and, to me, it's annoying AF.

I largely agree. The first game that ever pulled this created a totally unexpected and awesome twist. (Don't ask me to remember, but I do remember thinking it was cool. It lost its luster really fast.)

To handle such a mechanic meaningfully (in a modern RPG), I'd say it needs to be used to highlight your character's unique strengths and weaknesses. Use it to prove that who you chose to be, not your gear, is what makes your character who they are. Create a situation where you're caught out -- with nothing -- and have solutions that are exclusive to that character's unique build and history. No skill with lock-picking? Then you're not picking that lock; find another way. No ability with hand-to-hand combat? Sure, try to take down that enemy...see what happens. Never built up your hacking skills? You're not going to find that password in a million years; move on.

Instead...

Remember that time you saved one of your buddies, and he said he owes you one? Find a phone. Know how you did that side-quest and learned some of the catch-phrases used by that booster gang? Just play this part casually and walk straight on through. Know that chrome you had installed to heighten your hearing? Well, now you can overhear those two guards talking from here...and it appears one of them is fed up with his boss. Your character will have only their true strengths to rely on.

Sadly, when most games pull that "take your gear away" stuff, it's because the game got too long, and now there's no sense of challenge...so... (Where's that handbook on effortless fixes?)

And you are hitting the nail on the head when you say "because reasons." It's that kind of unrealistic context that frustrates people. Fortunately, I get the impression that CDPR's designers are better than that. I think they may have you covered.:cool:

I think so, too. TW3 created some enjoyable mechanics, then let the player employ those mechanics. (Fancy that. A game that set up rules, then followed its own rules!) Rather than moving the goal posts around, they simply added reasons that made using or not using those mechanics carry weight. And, I was never bored.

I largely agree. The first game that ever pulled this created a totally unexpected and awesome twist. (Don't ask me to remember, but I do remember thinking it was cool. It lost its luster really fast.)

To handle such a mechanic meaningfully (in a modern RPG), I'd say it needs to be used to highlight your character's unique strengths and weaknesses. Use it to prove that who you chose to be, not your gear, is what makes your character who they are. Create a situation where you're caught out -- with nothing -- and have solutions that are exclusive to that character's unique build and history. No skill with lock-picking? Then you're not picking that lock; find another way. No ability with hand-to-hand combat? Sure, try to take down that enemy...see what happens. Never built up your hacking skills? You're not going to find that password in a million years; move on.

Instead...

Remember that time you saved one of your buddies, and he said he owes you one? Find a phone. Know how you did that side-quest and learned some of the catch-phrases used by that booster gang? Just play this part casually and walk straight on through. Know that chrome you had installed to heighten your hearing? Well, now you can overhear those two guards talking from here...and it appears one of them is fed up with his boss. Your character will have only their true strengths to rely on.

Sadly, when most games pull that "take your gear away" stuff, it's because the game got too long, and now there's no sense of challenge...so... (Where's that handbook on effortless fixes?)

I think so, too. TW3 created some enjoyable mechanics, then let the player employ those mechanics. (Fancy that. A game that set up rules, then followed its own rules!) Rather than moving the goal posts around, they simply added reasons that made using or not using those mechanics carry weight. And, I was never bored.
if you think about it, throwing in sidequests that take your gear away like that are actually quite easy and might be far more practical. for example let's say you have to sneak into a "big-wig's" party to gather Intel, so going gun's blazing would be counter-intuitive. so using enhancements, or if you have none, social skills, or other means. it makes for a fun challenge that doesn't necessarily permanently take away equipment, rather gives a reason why you shouldn't have it at that moment.

if you think about it, throwing in sidequests that take your gear away like that are actually quite easy and might be far more practical. for example let's say you have to sneak into a "big-wig's" party to gather Intel, so going gun's blazing would be counter-intuitive. so using enhancements, or if you have none, social skills, or other means. it makes for a fun challenge that doesn't necessarily permanently take away equipment, rather gives a reason why you shouldn't have it at that moment.

The problem with that approach is that the game is making the decision for the player. How you deal with the consequences of bad decisions and things gone wrong is part of what makes Cyberpunk interesting. I think that CDPR's designers could find more elegant solutions.

The problem with that approach is that the game is making the decision for the player. How you deal with the consequences of bad decisions and things gone wrong is part of what makes Cyberpunk interesting. I think that CDPR's designers could find more elegant solutions.
true , true. lol i think if given the option i might just shoot everyone purely to see where the game takes me.

I think it would be far more enjoyable to let the player decide. True, changing clothes, stashing my weapons, adopting an alias, and trying to blend in with the crowd is a viable approach -- if that's the type of character I'm playing.

Alternatively, any of the following would be equally as viable and add actual role-playing to the situation:

• A stealth / recon type may simply arrive before the party starts, plant some bugs and recording devices around the place, then camp out on the roof and monitor the different channels until they get what they're after.
  • A netrunner may simply reject the idea of going to the party altogether and choose to hack into key personnel's private computers while the party is going on, as they'll be distracted and their response time will be slower.
  • A solo may choose to go in "guns blazing". Create a few distractions, perform a few kidnappings, and conduct a few Q&A sessions in broom closets and dark offices.
  • A cop may drudge up something legal on everyone they know has important info, then arrive at the party with an entire force to make a series of arrests. Then, they can use cleverness during the interrogations to misdirect each suspect and glean the info they want by asking seemingly unrelated questions.
The trouble is that creating each of those scenarios takes time and resources, and players will only be able to choose one during a playthrough. In this regard, it's far more engaging role-playing, but it will mean that the overall game is shorter from beginning to end. The strong point is in replay value -- drastically different experiences based on the type of character I choose to play.

Games today tend to be more focused on creating a linear narrative arc and offering a whole bunch of side content. That works great with an established character like Geralt. I'm hoping for something far less linear and structured for V.

If you have mantis blades or a gun in your cyber leg the game wont be able to take all your weapons .

A plausible mechanic to "remove" a player character's weapons would be to force them into a VR simulation.
We saw similar to this with the VR pods in the Fallout games.
Putting a non-optional, unavoidable quest mechanic like that in the game, in my opinion, is annoying, and starting to get a little predictable and formulaic when it comes to games throwing that unavoidable device into the main story through interactive dreams, VR, jail, or some other excuse.
However, I find the same thing acceptable if it's done as a non-mandatory quest; something that's actually part of player decision making and a choice where any consequences and/or rewards, either immediate, or protracted and to be revealed later become meaningful because you made the choice to do that quest, and accept the results of the play through, even if the results are immediately detrimental to the character, instead of giving it a pass, and/or reloading to an earlier save.

I mentioned it earlier, and I think in another thread, perhaps the Story Line Suggestions thread, where V could make up with the Scav gang, and put them to work scavenging all the bodies V drops, but, maybe they still hold that grudge, and can they really be trusted, so, perhaps V gets lured into doing a milk run mission alone, and it turns out the Scavs, and/or someone else V gave a really bad day have teamed up, ambush V, and V wakes up on a table missing Arms, Legs, other parts, and is getting rescued by Jackie, or some other friend to come back full circle to that first mission where the "princess" needs rescuing, except now, it's V.
From there, you could have a big recovery montage, and a period of gimping by, somewhat nerf'd from your previous load out, calling in favors to get replacement limbs, and new gear, and now you're on a very personal hunt for some folks you might have tried giving a chance only to get back-stabbed. :)

A plausible mechanic to "remove" a player character's weapons would be to force them into a VR simulation.
We saw similar to this with the VR pods in the Fallout games.
Putting a non-optional, unavoidable quest mechanic like that in the game, in my opinion, is annoying, and starting to get a little predictable and formulaic when it comes to games throwing that unavoidable device into the main story through interactive dreams, VR, jail, or some other excuse.
However, I find the same thing acceptable if it's done as a non-mandatory quest; something that's actually part of player decision making and a choice where any consequences and/or rewards, either immediate, or protracted and to be revealed later become meaningful because you made the choice to do that quest, and accept the results of the play through, even if the results are immediately detrimental to the character, instead of giving it a pass, and/or reloading to an earlier save.

I mentioned it earlier, and I think in another thread, perhaps the Story Line Suggestions thread, where V could make up with the Scav gang, and put them to work scavenging all the bodies V drops, but, maybe they still hold that grudge, and can they really be trusted, so, perhaps V gets lured into doing a milk run mission alone, and it turns out the Scavs, and/or someone else V gave a really bad day have teamed up, ambush V, and V wakes up on a table missing Arms, Legs, other parts, and is getting rescued by Jackie, or some other friend to come back full circle to that first mission where the "princess" needs rescuing, except now, it's V.
From there, you could have a big recovery montage, and a period of gimping by, somewhat nerf'd from your previous load out, calling in favors to get replacement limbs, and new gear, and now you're on a very personal hunt for some folks you might have tried giving a chance only to get back-stabbed. :)

The only thing that sticks out to me is the cost of humanity numbers it would cost V to replace his / her missing limbs . That would in theory that away other options to boost your V in other areas .
Post automatically merged:

when i read that all i could imagine is a pirate with a peg leg walking into a party then out of nowhere his peg leg turns into a blender.

That sounds like a cool cyberpirate game . :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom