What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think skills that combat skills that effect things like weapon sway, recoil, reload speed, parrying/blocking and etc could go a long ways towards giving the character some agency in the game.

Some of the way, yeah. But that depends entirely on how potent those mechanics actually are; how much of a difference they make. And normal weapons should absolutely do at least that much in a tangible manner. But there's still room in redesigning the smart-guns for a more "RPG" use (not just for "No, I can not play/am not good at FPS'"-peeps).

This isn't all about combat, though. There's a whole world of skills and checks to be made outside weapon proficiencies (or... should be, I don't know how much there will).

My biggest fear reggarding CP is getting a game that lacks immersion and personality. Something like a generic futuristic FPP shooter with a few RPG elements would be my worst case scenario.

And I got say I'm not very optimistic since CDPR stated FPP only. Such wasted potential...

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited:
Been a long time since I was super active here, and I've chilled out on a lot of stuff at this point.

Now, I realize this game is not and was never going to be Vampire: Cyberpunk Edition, or Fallout: New 2077. This game is going to be a shooter-RPG hybrid, which will lean more heavily towards the shooter side for combat. CDPR clearly feels this is necessary, either for mass appeal or simply to achieve their vision (either way is justifiable).

So, what fears do I still have? At this point, not much... I'll play the game no matter what and probably enjoy it. I'm concerned that there won't be good options for people with motion sickness, but not to the point that I'm going to ask them to change the game's perspective.

I guess that just leaves little nitpicks.
  • I'm concerned the game will be more punk than Cyber. I hope there will be strong elements of both. I'm fine with the rock & roll music, but some synth would be pretty neat, too. I'd like to see night time gameplay. I'd like to see the denser parts of the city.
  • I'm concerned that there won't be any dialogue-related skills (persuade, intimidate, etc.)
  • I'm worried that the game will not have any form of mod support (not even TW3's level).
  • I'm worried that the game will have some sort of "GTA Online"-esque mode, which I feel would impact future DLC.
  • And, finally, I fear that the game won't release until 2020.
That's it for now. Excited for the game.

I realize this game is not and was never going to be... [insert something acceptable]
This game is going to be a shooter-RPG hybrid, which will lean more heavily towards the shooter side for combat.

Can’t accept that. I’ll fight to the bitter end, and the captain goes down with his ship.

1550783211439.jpeg

Last edited:
Another fear of mine.
That there is anything like "Gwent" in cyberpunk 2077.

Being forced even once to play that crap in the Witcher series was torture.

Last edited:
Bring immersion as an argument is once again subjective i was much more involved and immersed in planescape torment than in any first person game i played.

i was much more involved and immersed in planescape torment than in any first person game i played.

I found Wasteland (1) in many ways more immersive than most modern games, and remember that kind of sensation even from Nethack from back in the day.

This game is going to be a shooter-RPG hybrid, which will lean more heavily towards the shooter side for combat. CDPR clearly feels this is necessary, either for mass appeal or simply to achieve their vision (either way is justifiable).
Can’t accept that. I’ll fight to the bitter end, and the captain goes down with his ship.
I'll be right next to you as First Mate.

(Welcome back, Snow!)

I don't think the shooter mechanics will "intrude" anywhere near as much as many may fear. Again, I think that demo level was just that -- a demo level specifically built to highlight a whole bunch of the combat mechanics.

The fight in the apratment is more along the lines of how I infer the combat will go. The encounter was decisive, ended with a bit of scripted coolness: Jackie bull-rushing the dude with the heavy gun and Trauma Team arriving to claim the victim. The execution was tight. Same with V in her apartment, meeting Dexter, visiting the ripperdoc, the car chase, and meeting the corpos.

In contrast, the extended fight in the meat factory felt like it was exactly that -- extended. For the sake of the demo. It was loosey-goosey, exhibited a lot of conveniently designed areas that looked like they had been specifically built to highlight various combat options in rapid succession, and it went on for far longer than I imagine it would in the final product. I think it was an exhibition, precisely built that way for the demo and only the demo. (This is primarily what I think is making people nervous about what the focus of the game will be.)

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. That sequence is also a totally separate concern from the details of the mechanics themselves. To me, the only things I'd be eager to see changed are:
  • Sense of power and impact, as it applies to actually handling and firing the weapons. Things felt far too light and floaty to me.
  • Same with movement and momentum. Especially the scene with the car chase. That felt like toy cars twitching around, not like tons of steel hurtling down the highway at really dangerous speeds.
  • HUD elements like floating numbers and waypoints were a bit too in-my-face. (But the devs already said that stuff like that could be disabled.)
Most importantly, it was a work-in-progress, so I'm willing to just dismiss this stuff and wait to see more.

Now, I realize this game is not and was never going to be Vampire: Cyberpunk Edition, or Fallout: New 2077. This game is going to be a shooter-RPG hybrid, which will lean more heavily towards the shooter side for combat. CDPR clearly feels this is necessary, either for mass appeal or simply to achieve their vision (either way is justifiable).

It's funny because in my case I got some lovely Fallout: New Vegas vibes from the gameplay demo video, especially in the shooter-RPG hybrid-ness of it, although combat in Cyberpunk 2077 seems deeper and more engaging that in F:NV (even at this very early stage of the game). In a way, I wish games like F:NV or the two latest Deus Ex had come up with some of the ideas CDPR applied in the demo, like pointing at people or things in conversations to contextually interact with them, vehicular gameplay, etc.

Nevertheless, I understand some people's concerns regarding an apparent lack of some of the more interesting mechanics already used in other RPGs, like F:NV's skill checks and traits (skills that are simultaneously productive and counterproductive).

I'm not too worried about the RPG-ness of CP2077, I'm pretty sure that stuff like character customization, interesting NPC and stories, and multiple choices and consequences are truly at its core. I do fear, however, that there might no be skill checks or similarly interesting social mechanics. Pointing at things that might open up opportunities in conversations sounds pretty cool to me but, like Witcher senses, it can grow old quickly if they overrely on it.

I'd love that, for instance, you could gain more trust from netrunners if you've developed your netrunning skills through the game.

But it's not a huge fear for me.

---

A bigger fear of mine is that they end up downgrading some of its mechanics. Things like vehicular combat and interactive world elements (like the ads and whatever else they might've applied that kind of interaction) could end up being reduced or even removed from the final game and that would suck for me.

Regardless, I'm not passing any definite judgement on the game until I have it on my hands.

---

The biggest of them all is that they either delay it "indefinitely" (development hell) or that they outright cancel it. I really, really, really, really hope that it gets released. I'd rather have it delayed a couple of years that see it go down the Scalebound or Prey 2 road.

In contrast, the extended fight in the meat factory felt like it was exactly that -- extended. For the sake of the demo. It was loosey-goosey, exhibited a lot of conveniently designed areas that looked like they had been specifically built to highlight various combat options in rapid succession, and it went on for far longer than I imagine it would in the final product. I think it was an exhibition, precisely built that way for the demo and only the demo. (This is primarily what I think is making people nervous about what the focus of the game will be.)
It's not just the extended fight, given the number of Maelstrom gang members V and Jackie took out I'd expect an extended fight. It's more the fact that V and Jackie took out one of Night Cities most dangerous gangs with no preparation and little effort. This just screams "Rambo" or "Doom" to me. And this event takes place apparently fairly early in the game, so by endgame I expect V to be soloing C-SWAT, and not just a team, all of it.
See the problem?

It's not just the extended fight, given the number of Maelstrom gang members V and Jackie took out I'd expect an extended fight. It's more the fact that V and Jackie took out one of Night Cities most dangerous gangs with no preparation and little effort. This just screams "Rambo" or "Doom" to me. And this event takes place apparently fairly early in the game, so by endgame I expect V to be soloing C-SWAT, and not just a team, all of it.
See the problem?

I understand these concerns and would agree with them, but something tells me it was so simple only for the sake of the demo. If you played the Witcher 3 on the hardest difficulties (even the 3rd one), preparation was essential. Without it, you would die, over and over and over again... I don't expect any less here.

See the problem?

A lot of people were surprised how easy the Maelstrom gang was pushed a side , i do wonder if Maelstrom was put into the demo for name recognition . The narrator did say after the first fight they were showing off high end abilities so V and Jackie might have been much higher levels than the gang .

I don't think the shooter mechanics will "intrude" anywhere near as much as many may fear. Again, I think that demo level was just that -- a demo level specifically built to highlight a whole bunch of the combat mechanics.
Yeah in one of the interviews I looked at recently they talked about how it's a mission early from the game meant to emphasize combat stuff. *looks*

EDIT:
Found it. Angry Joe Interview -
- around 10:35 - 11:35.

Last edited:
Yeah in one of the interviews I looked at recently they talked about how it's a mission early from the game meant to emphasize combat stuff. *looks*

EDIT:
Not all that fond of Angry Joe personally, he's mostly an action/FPS gamer.
On the other hand he's a perfect representative of the stereotypical modern gamer.
Does it look good?
Is there lots of action?
Are my twitch skills paramount to combat?
GREAT GAME!

EDIT:

I really enjoy Angry Joe.

See the problem?

Not really, because again -- work-in-progress. It's the same thing as trying the batter and claiming the cake is bad. Frankly, I don't get the impression that any of that run-and-gun stuff was accurate to the mission in any way. Really speculating hard here, but that's all we can do at this point:

I think the demo was a specific attempt to misrepresent that mission and use it show off lots of cool stuff. I'd imagine that if players wind up in combat in the actual game, they need to fight their way out -- fast. Not sort of explore the level and try to take the entire gang on single-handedly. All of that combat, super-jumping, slow-mo sliding kills, massive body-count, perhaps even the boss fight -- I'm assuming isn't part of that mission at that time. The way I imagine that mission will run is: Go in. If the credit ship fries the netrunner, clear the room in the confusion. Grab the bot. Dive into an air duct or maybe get into a quick shootout in the next room. Gang hightails it when they detect corpos on the way. They broadcast a sort of "we will find you" threat before they split. You go outside and the resolution plays out.

That would make much more sense as an early mission. But, it wouldn't do a great job highlighting combat for a demo.

Not all that fond of Angry Joe...
I really enjoy Angry Joe.

I think the demo was a specific attempt to misrepresent that mission and use it show off lots of cool stuff. I'd imagine that if players wind up in combat in the actual game, they need to fight their way out -- fast. Not sort of explore the level and try to take the entire gang on single-handedly. All of that combat, super-jumping, slow-mo sliding kills, massive body-count, perhaps even the boss fight -- I'm assuming isn't part of that mission at that time.
I hope you're correct.
I fear, and think, you're not.

Not all that fond of Angry Joe personally, he's mostly an action/FPS gamer.
On the other hand he's a perfect representative of the stereotypical modern gamer.
Does it look good?
Is there lots of action?
Are my twitch skills paramount to combat?
GREAT GAME!
Well the part I'm referring too isn't Angry Joe's opinions, but rather Kyle Rowley's statements about that specific mission. That it's linear and combat focused intentionally as a near the beginning of the game mission. Other types of options become more available as the systems are learned by the player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom