GOG is the only thing holding Gwent back in popularity now

+

Guest 4334474

Just my opinion of course, but with all the very well done work gwent devs have gone through and how the hype is so very real now the only real thing keeping the player base down is the fact that it's exclusive on GOG. Is there a particular reason why Gwent can't launch off Steam now, especially with Artifact being a massive dud and wouldn't really be competing with each other? So many people still don't even know an official Gwent game ever occurred due to the lack of knowledge with GOG as a platform.

I'd absolutely love to see Gwent get the recognition it deserves and rake in more followers! I hope some considerations are in the work (outside of the concept of just mobile app) to make it more seen by PC gamers.

Guest 4334474

Mobile versión is more important than Steam, mobile was make HS really masive.

I don't think mobile will reach a new audience as well as Steam would though. Mobile is good to reinforce numbers that you have / get the same people who play to play more often. Steam would reach new audiences by revealing Gwent is even a thing. Most people who PC game have steam whereas most people who have phones don't actually play games on them / look for games on a daily basis on them.

Yes, it's exclusive but also it's free for everyone - you do not need any investment to play it.

Why would Gwent being on steam make it be any different than on GOG? Plenty of free to play games utilize Steam. Most notable is Warframe. There are many other F2P MMOs and other F2P games that still are on steam regardless of the genre.

@kryton24 I have a Sophie's choice kind of question for you. What would you hypothetically prefer? To have Gwent prosper more and GOG fall as a platform? Or to have Gwent as it is and keep GOG living?

Do you know, that GOG has fired 10% of employees in February? Do you know, that one of CDPR game directors, who developed Witcher 3, has left in January and joined Blizzard? Do you know, that next month will end "Fair price package" service on GOG? You can guess what it all means and what would mean Gwent not being exclusive to GOG.

In my opinion, if you really want to help Gwent, tell about it to your friends and your social networks. You can even give them your recruit code, which was introduced few months ago. I personally brought at least 3 new customers to GOG this year.

There could be consequences to everything that you do, just like in Witcher serie. Just be sure, that face value idea, could still keep sustaining nuances, which are not so obviously seen, but are of critical importance.

I think mobile is the only way i will ever play HC76 again. They wanted more casuals, then do it cdpr!

Guest 4334474

@kryton24 I have a Sophie's choice kind of question for you. What would you hypothetically prefer? To have Gwent prosper more and GOG fall as a platform? Or to have Gwent as it is and keep GOG living?

Do you know, that GOG has fired 10% of employees in February? Do you know, that one of CDPR game directors, who developed Witcher 3, has left in January and joined Blizzard? Do you know, that next month will end "Fair price package" service on GOG? You can guess what it all means and what would mean Gwent not being exclusive to GOG.

In my opinion, if you really want to help Gwent, tell about it to your friends and your social networks. You can even give them your recruit code, which was introduced few months ago. I personally brought at least 3 new customers to GOG this year.

There could be consequences to everything that you do, just like in Witcher serie. Just be sure, that face value idea, could still keep sustaining nuances, which are not so obviously seen, but are of critical importance.

Not sure what a sophies choice is / means but to respond to you...

I think you brought up some good points. Steam does still have this really archaic design for splitting earnings on games on the platform. My main point is GOG isn't really growing, seemingly anyways. They would need to make GOG a whole lot better or maybe even merge with another platform to make it cool enough to own. I know I only have GOG for Gwent and that is it personally. I also must add I greatly dislike having to play ubisoft games on Uplay, EA games on Origin, etc etc. I do not like how there are so many gaming platforms now especially when the marketing on them really just isn't even functioning compared to Steam as far as I've ever noticed. Perhaps Steam may not be the best choice, but surely a merging of other gaming platforms then would be the way to go? Gamers do not want 8 gaming platforms, 1 for each gaming publisher. Heck even Discord has a game selection now.... for some reason.

I guess we'll just see what comes. I assume Cyberpunk will be only on GOG and that might bolster it up... but that could also be pretty risky by not having it on Steam too for recognition of it's release for people not following CDPR. It's definitely a gamble running so many gaming platforms these days but Steam is certainly in a position where things are looking bad and they gotta make some changes and Epic store is too egotisitcal and not consumer friendly to take seriously.

Sophie's choice is name of novel and phrase for painful choice, where whatever you chose, there seems nothing to be good, but you still have to chose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie's_Choice_(novel)

I personally want to support GOG as I very much value their unique approach of (with exception of Gwent) not needing GOG galaxy to be installed in order to play games, no DRM policy, fair price package (which sadly will end, but they really tried it) and generally the most pro-customer approach from all digital distribution platforms. I realize, that without CDPR, there would have been no Witcher serie or Gwent and I want to support their way of doing things. If GOG will fall, I see only terribly dark future regarding DRM and I dislike that other distribution platforms consider me as "thief/pirate" by default (not to mention, that DRM generally decreases performance of your computer). If I have a choice to buy same game on GOG or elsewhere, I chose to buy it on GOG. That is my approach and everybody can chose things to do his/her own way, just every action has its own consequences and whatever action person do, it brings its own results of future course.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I think mobile is the only way i will ever play HC76 again. They wanted more casuals, then do it cdpr!

Why you still call it Hc76 ?
Its better since the Hc update and with the expansion it will be even more...
I play on my ps4 and im having a great time. Its true, the game needs more variety and more decks and more strategy... but give it time.. Im sure it succed and i think 2019 will be a good year for Gwent. :) Cheers !

Actually a mobile version for smartphones and expecially tablets could raise gwents playerbase a lot.
Playing gwent via controller with your xbox/playstation or in front of your pc is not as "relaxing" as playing it on your balcony or couch.

The problem is just that most of these tablets and smartphones do not match the requierements of gwent and you could easily fail with a port. After all i totally understand its not worth the time and money to port the game.

A different approach would be a port to the nintendo switch, which can be used as a gameboy/tablet as well as an console. The biggest plus is, that it is just one system you need to make sure it works on that does not change its hard- or software.

Edit: Im not sure how powerfull the nintendo hardware is. But it should be a lot better for gaming than the hardware of smartphones and tablets at least.

Waiting for the tablet and smartphone version myself. The game itself is still suffering from netdecks and faction preference by the devs.

Guest 4334474

Waiting for the tablet and smartphone version myself. The game itself is still suffering from netdecks and faction preference by the devs.

If you haven't played since HC I can tell you from my play experience that while yes there are netdeck players (all card games have them) I have personally climbed up to rank 3 by not netdecking ever. I typically make decks where the enemy has never went up against it / has no idea due to not netdecking which does give me the edge up until the highest of ranks, non pro rank.

I got my limits though, I don't think I could ever get rank 1 or 0 without conforming to certain cheese strats if you will to climb but I'm more than happy to have achieved this the past two seasons. As reference I have been using Harald SK deck for this and I have played against 0 other Harald decks while doing this so it makes me feel kinda unique too. Lot's of Crach, Monster decks, now we got the Coral Bran decks.... but my Harald is ready for raiding time which is anytime anywhere boys.

Stop being obsessed with "smart" phones. Nothing works on them, but everyone keeps demanding everything for them, even things that make no sense. Some companies feel forced to make "mobile" versions of stuff, and they are always horrible. Latest example is PS remote play. Looks absolutely unusable, completely meaningless, they just did it to shut up all the mobile whiners.

The phone guys don't care about quality anyways, as long as they think they get what they want. Obviously gwent just can't be good on a mobile. It could work on a tablet, but it is probably also not ideal.

So, why not just go and port Starcraft 2 to your mobile. And come back here and announce it once you are done :)

Tablet was what I meant really. As HC76 is windows based. And congrats to anyone else who is not netdecking, you have my respect. I've struggled with ST recently. Haven't quite found the balance so looking forward to trying some new cards.

"holding it in popularity"?

If twitch veiwers is a general indication of a games popularity, the game has less players now than it ever had, including during the closed beta. And with a new expansion on the horizon.

CDPR may not have meant to, but they gave a big "fuck you" to their old fanbase, ruined their game, and then hoped that this new, far more boring but far more "balance-able" game will pick up a competitive or pro fan-base after launch.

Im not angry, just sad, I want to play old gwent again, I came back a coupple days ago to play old gwent. Ive spent hours just scroundng for interesting mechanics and find almost nothing.

I would approach this in a different direction.

Marketing for this game, as a whole, has been pretty lackluster since its official release. Hearthstone is on mobile and Battlenet. It is not on steam. Why is it so massive? Exposure.

Gwent needs to branch out its exposure, but not by means of platform. It just needs to make more people aware it exists. The fact it is on consoles is pretty substantial. I feel some more effort needs to be put into marketing the game out.

Make a PS+ and XBL Gold free starter pack that includes 5 kegs and some powder, for example. Advertise that on the storefront for a week, although that might be expensive. With a new expansion releasing, though, its perfect.

Speaking of which, I did not even know an expansion for this was releasing until I returned to the game after months away from it and saw it on the menu. I follow game sites daily like IGN, Gamespot, and Game Informer, yet somehow I missed this.

Thronebreaker was well recieved, but I feel it was overlooked.

I want the game to be successful, but I feel like it is being put on the backburner for marketing, and this is causing the playerbase to either stagnate or dwindle.

It already takes forever trying to find a casual match on PS4, and I feel it will get worse sooner rather than later. This only leaves rank as a viable, consistent option to play. They need to reach out and dedicate a bit more of their resources to attracting a pool of new players.

Why would GOG exclusivity hold Gwent back? If anything holds it back, it is the lack of marketing/lack of mobile version. A lot of big companies have their own shop or launcher, and their games are only available there. I don't even have to change genres to prove this point, the 2 most popular CCGs on twitch (and therefore likely on the market as well) are only available to download from their companies...

Top Bottom